2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2310036 08/01/14 11:50 PM

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Questions:
[Linked Image]
  • How do you feel about plastic v. ivory keytops?
  • Are there plastic keytops available with a nice texture?
  • Are there plastic keytops available in off white?
Why I'm wondering:

My piano's ivories are in pretty good shape. There are a couple of keys that have hairline cracks running from the front edge inward, maybe a half inch long, and one that's cracked similarly but enough that the crack is darker (dirt?).

One key top had come loose when the piano was shipped to me, but I reattached it using instructions I found in an old post, and it seems to be holding fine, but off and on I've been wondering about replacing the three cracked tops.

The key tops are not yellowed, but they do have an off-white, dirty/alabaster sort of look to them. Probably silly, but I kind of like them that way, but I've also assumed it would make matching the tops with new ones difficult. So I've wondered about cleaning them up too.

Well, a few weeks back there were some posts about ivory and governmental concerns about it, bans on shipping, etc, and it got me thinking about whether or not plastic is the way to go. I read the related articles and documents, and searched through old posts here. It seems like the consensus on PW a while back was that plastic is the way to go for both practical and ethical reasons, but, as is the case with older posts, very few of those posters are still posting.

What I'm thinking so far:

I'm going to be candid and say that at this point I think I'm in the "plastic" camp for both kind of reasons:
  • Ethical: just look in the hidden section below
(Warning: graphic)

I just want no part of this! This shows a guy with a hatchet, but apparently the more common way now is to use a chainsaw. See the lower pictures.
Somehow it just seems inhumane to have ivory on my piano at all...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
  • Practical:
    1. Probably easier to clean and maintain. (?)
    2. The proposed regulations will likely ban interstate shipping in the U.S., and we'll certainly be retiring and moving someday, my wife and I have both lived and worked internationally before, and there's a good chance that we will go abroad after our girls graduate from High School, and international shipping is already an issue.

Questions:

Anyway, I'm curious what others think about plastic versus ivory key tops, and what the state of the art for plastic is in terms of look (color) and feel.

[Linked Image]

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think ivory was always irresponsible, but it is easier to play on when you sweat - still that's not even close to a good enough reason to use it.

An old ivory keyboard is one matter, but I know manufacturers and rebuilders that will give you new ivory if you pay a premium which I think is grossly irresponsible.

I like the acrylics that kluge use - very comfortable, and Yamaha ivorite is wonderful

YAMAHA Artist
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I think good quality plastic keytops feel good. They are easy to clean, and they are more durable than ivory. The mineral plastics feel very good - they feel more "dry". On any new piano I think - as probably every does - that plastic is the way to go. As an aside, some pipe organs use cow bone (probably plenty of the raw material available thanks to the beef industry) and they feel quite good. They usually seem somewhat grey and perhaps a bit streaked. But they have character and don't look bad, IMHO. I don't know how readily available the product it is (if it is... I've heard story of one organ builder starting the process with a trip to the butcher).

On antique pianos I think the keytops should be preserved if they are in good condition. Ripping off keytops from a 100 year old piano doesn't do anything - IMHO - to help the current problems. Furthermore I don't presume to judge the decisions that were made in 1905, for example.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by joe80
I know manufacturers and rebuilders that will give you new ivory if you pay a premium which I think is grossly irresponsible.

If the manufacturer or rebuilder is in USA it can't be actual new ivory. They have been able to use pre-ban existing stocks of old ivory. Of course you may not like that, but I think there is a distinction between actual new ivory and old, pre-ban ivory.
Yamaha ivorite is wonderful

I agree

Pianist and Piano Teacher
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When an elephant dies what is the problem with using the ivory? It is regulation of thr trade that is needed.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
I really don't care if it's plastic or ivory. It's the sound, not the feel, that matters.

That being said, the big danger to us is that extremeist activists demand ever more draconian measures as their campaigns succeed in passing laws that don't solve the problem. Now they want a ban on all ivory:

http://www.96elephants.org/

Maybe it would be nice to do some pushback and start a site called 88keys.org...? The senseless destruction of pianos won't stop the senseless destruction of elephants.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I heard some member of the uk royal family saying he would like to destroy everything made of ivory is all the royal palaces. The sort of knee jerk reaction you get from people of limited analytical ability.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Over the years I've found that most players, ranging from beginners to professional levels, prefer plastic over ivory.

Personally, I play equally bad on both surfaces. If there is nothing wrong with the key tops you already have, why change them? The first thing to check is if the top of the keytop is still flat. Ivory warps and will also wear down over years of playing, leaving a bowled area which you can sometimes feel with your fingers.

Have you gone to go to a showroom where you can compare different keytop surfaces? As mentioned in an earlier post, there are excellent options to choose from.

Enjoy.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have just written an update to my original article about this on Piano Buyer.
http://www.pianobuyer.com/articles/ivory.html

Two bills have just been introduced in the House and the Senate to try to bring some logic to this issue:
http://www.pianobuyer.com/articles/ivory2.html

OP: Depending on what state you live in currently and where your technician lives, you may be able to have the few ivories replaced, but another option is to have your tech repair the existing ivories with a material that is put in like a filler and sanded down. If your tech has the experience with this material available from Pianotek called Acrylikey II, the crack is cleaned out, the material is filled in and after it dries, it is sanded and polished. I good job with this material will be invisible. It is the similar to the material that dentists use to make a tooth and can be mixed to match the color of the original ivory.

The other suggestion that I have is to have the keys recovered in mineral plastic. Blackstone Valley http://www.pianoandorgankeys.com does an incredible job with this material and it looks and feels more like ivory.

Getting back to the ivory issue, as I said in my article, ivory was used because prior to the invention of plastic because it was really the only material available that could be worked and was durable for use on the key tops. It was never a decorative material but a functional one that was much harder than the wood used for the key. Without a hard, smooth material covering the wood of the keys, the wooden surface would have worn down rapidly. As soon as man made materials were available the piano industry quickly abandoned ivory in the 1950's here in the U.S.

I would vote for the complete replacement of your ivory keys because unless the original ivories have been very well maintained and are perfectly flat, the regulation of the key height and dip is much more accurate with plastic that is uniform.

While the official comment period about this with Fish and Wildlife has not yet begun, now is the time to write your congressional representatives about the problems for piano owners with this regulation.

See my link to the update to review the issues at hand.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joe80
Yamaha ivorite is wonderful

I agree also very strongly.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear friends:

The above responses represent a perfect example of how opinions can differ. It is incomprehensible to me that anyone could prefer the feel of plastic to real ivory keytops. I think that Steinways are perhaps the worst. Having said this, I recently tried a very artistic rebuild of a vintage Steinway (yes, it was at Cunningham's) that had new keytops of the mineral type. They truly are what we've been waiting for and render the old ivory/plastic debate a waste of time and ink. They look and feel just swell.

Good news from Sally Phillips and an excellent explanation of that filler stuff. Even I can understand the process.

I do believe that those that have ivory keytops should, by the Grace of God and the State, be allowed to keep and maintain them, as well as transport them, with the necessary documentation.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Dear friends:

I do believe that those that have ivory keytops should, by the Grace of God and the State, be allowed to keep and maintain them, as well as transport them, with the necessary documentation.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

The proper documentation is exactly the problem. Pianos under 100 years old will not be eligible for an antique exemption. Ivory was used here until the 1950's and 60's, in Europe until the 1980's. If you are personally transporting a piano that does not change ownership, in theory you should be able to do that but if the piano gets inspected and there is not enough (and who will decide what is enough) documentation to prove that you did not just buy it, it may be confiscated. Let's say you have a family piano that was purchased years ago and you just inherited it from Aunt Mable. You might have pictures of it from Christmas in 1970. You might have some repair documentation that proved that she owned it. You might be able to get a copy of the will if it specifically designated you are the heir. But maybe you don't have these things. Maybe you got it and have never had it tuned. Your mother just said, "Why don't you take the piano, I'm sure she would have wanted you to have it." The company that made it is out of business and all you have is a Piano Atlas that says it was made between 1913 and 1915. What is realistic? The way this is written it is possible for a Hamburg Steinway from 1935 that was imported properly with CITES documentation to be able to be exempt but a Sohmer made in 1935 to not be exempt.

The message to your congressional representatives needs to be: Leave pianos out of this. Remember, the piano industry is not now using any new ivory. So all this regulation, inspection, documentation, and restriction will not save any elephants because no elephants are being sacrificed for piano keyboards now. They are trying to regulate and stop something that is not now happening in the piano industry.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How about printing up some fake documentation that says that it is fake ivory?

Learner
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by malkin

No one should even consider doing anything like that. First of all the fines will be huge. I don't know any professional in the business that would take such a foolish risk. If this does become law, we will all just have to either be able to prove that we own it, or over 100 years old with documentable provenance or we will have to bite the bullet and take the ivory off.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
S
S

How about going to prison?

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
To add to Sally's final comment, I don't think anyone anywhere in the world is using illegal ivory to make piano key-tops.

David Warther of Ohio was offering old pre-ban ivory that he cut into key-top blanks. I don't know if he still does. His family business does scrimshaw and they accumulated tusks many years ago.

There has been no evidence to show that piano key-tops contribute to ivory poaching.

I wonder if this idea of restricting used piano sales because of ivory came from someone in the new piano business who saw an opportunity to reduce sales of used pianos.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Ed, I don't think the new piano manufacturers had anything to do with this. I think that the Director's Order was made without consulting stakeholders involved and it was only when the piano industry and other musicians realized the ramifications of the new regulations that the alarm bells rang. Here are the problems this is creating for other musicians.

http://thestrad.com/latest/debate/the-us-ivory-ban-risks-criminalising-hard-working-musicians

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've come over time to prefer plastic keytops to ivory. Kluge keyboards feel very good-- smooth, level, easy on the fingers. They look good, and don't discolor, warp or crack/split. I now find the feel of ivory to be a bit odd, and too often there are dips or irregularities in the surface. The idea of cattle bone is just a bit repulsive, for some reason. I haven't had the chance to try the mineral plastic keytops but look forward to it.

Last edited by sophial; 08/02/14 11:53 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silver Keys

How about I think he was kidding? wink

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Originally Posted by Silver Keys

As long as they have a top end grand there that would be ok.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185, Sauter Omega 220
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission