2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
I had resurrected the Tchaikovsky thread and really should have created a new one. I'd love to hear some more suggestions. Here's what's been said so far:

Originally Posted by Morodiene
So I haven't seen any discussions come up about the next Themed Recital. I know on PC there's the Suites one, but I really enjoy these that are surrounding one composer - perhaps one that I haven't had a chance to explore too much.

So any thoughts? Anyone interested in starting a new one, and which composer will it be?

Originally Posted by wimpiano
Schumann!!!!

Originally Posted by Greener
There has been plenty of interest and some discussion about it, but no consensus arrived at. We had talked about moving towards the 20th century and various genres discussed, including POP (Beatles or other) Standards/show tunes (Gershwin or other) and the like. The trouble was with adequate choice, interest, and/or limited, or no availability of non-copyrighted material. Each time, the discussion faded away. But, I agree that now (or by September) would be a good time to pick a winner for next March 15th, 2015 recital date.

There is such a broad array of preferences, seems to be part of the challenge too. Why not hit some composers we know many people like to play, with plenty of non-copyrighted material available, and all really great. Like ...

Chopin

The more obscure ones of course can be really great, but tougher to get going it seems.

I would be happy to help get it started, once we know what we want.

I think with Chopin we would be excluding a lot of the beginners here since he has very few simpler pieces. Schumann, however, has his Album for the Young and difficulty level goes up from there. I think Schumann is a great suggestion.

Another good choice would be Bartok (and would accommodate the 20th century idea). Perhaps doing ALL of the Mikrokosmos would be a hugely ambitious endeavor - one where I think many people would have to take on several pieces at once, but it's all accessible on IMSLP. I think there are 153 pieces in Mikrokosmos, but even if we got a good representation of them it would be fine. Kind of like what we did for Tchaikovsky, not really able to get everything he wrote completed, but a respectable representation. Perhaps with Bartok we could allow stuff outside Mikrokosmos too.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another vote for Schumann. One of my favorites and for some reason I don't play any of his stuff.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
+1 for Schumann. I'm learning Kinderszene no. 1, but I don't think it will be ready any time soon, so I may pick up something from Album for the Young.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by sinophilia
+1 for Schumann. I'm learning Kinderszene no. 1, but I don't think it will be ready any time soon ...

+ 1 - Bach
+ 1 - Beethoven
+ 1 - Chopin

I'm still on the fence with Schumann, pending investigation forthcoming. + 0 for now.

New ...

+ 1 - Clementi
+ 1 - Schubert

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Another vote for Schumann wink Oh no I already did laugh

When it will be Chopin I think the only piece I might be able to play is the Posthumous Valse in A Minor.. Not that much choice and I would probably do really bad since Chopin is musically even more difficult than technically.

Bach and Beethoven have a broader repertoire for Adult Beginners.

M
OP Offline
M
Greener: I'll respond to your post in the other topic here. Regarding unfamiliar composers, I have learned so much having participated in these recitals. I didn't know any Grieg pieces, nor had I really worked on Much Mendelssohn except for 1 or 2. Tchaikovsky, I knew some of the easier pieces but it was neat to learn a lot more about his more difficult works.

Personally, I think there's a charm to these recitals when some of the music is a little off the beaten path. I love Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, etc., but I also finding new loves. So for me there's a new discovery of repertoire that I enjoy so much.

I'm in the same boat as you for Schumann. I know several of his art songs, but I haven't explored any of his piano beyond rep for students. I would love to see why people seem to love his piano works. There's just so much music out there, it's hard to take time away from the standards of Bach, Beethoven, etc. to try them out. So it's a bit of expanding one's horizons.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I agree that even the "easy" Chopin (isn't that a contradiction in terms?) is beyond many of us (including myself)......

My vote would be for Schumann or Bach (any of the Bach's)

I like Clementi - but truly have no clue as to how much material he might have at an approachable level.

What about Heller?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
OP Offline
M
Forgot to comment on Clementi. Personally, I find his music pretty average musically, so I probably wouldn't participate in something like that.

Also forgot to mention that since I'm instigating this, I'm offering to "run" it, but I'd need lots of help from those who have done these before as to the format. wink

Heller, I don't know much about him apart from a few etudes, but it seems he had a respectable output. This would be an interesting choice. I'm listening to some of his stuff on youtube and finding it quite beautiful. I encourage people to listen and see what they think. He does have some intermediate works for which he is better know, I think.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would love to learn some Schumann. So +1 for me.

Also prokofiev could be a good choice. I played a prelude from opus 12 once. Nice music!

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
So the options so far:

Schumann
Bach
Beethoven
Chopin
Clementi
Schubert
Heller
Prokofiev
Bartok

Last edited by Morodiene; 08/04/14 12:12 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dmitry Kabalevsky,
Aram Kachaturian,

From extremely easy to very difficult.... and different from the usual soup. :-)

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Ataru074
Dmitry Kabalevsky,
Aram Kachaturian,

From extremely easy to very difficult.... and different from the usual soup. :-)

Ooo, a couple of great suggestions! Really, I'd be up to doing any of them (except Clementi) wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Dmitry Kabalevsky,
Aram Kachaturian,

I would vote for either, but their stuff is still under copyright. *edit* I think it is, I should say. Not sure how to check...

I'd be happy with a choice that has some early intermediate-level-friendly pieces- Schumann would be fun I think.

Last edited by ajames; 08/04/14 02:37 PM. Reason: added waffling

[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Dmitry Kabalevsky,

Yes! Or why not Shostakovich, he also has wonderful pieces that range from easy to...well you know smile

Does it have to be just one composer btw? We could also have a soviet theme... Any composer who lived and worked in the Soviet Union...?

OH, and has there ever been a Scarlatti recital? There would surely be something for everybody there!

Last edited by outo; 08/04/14 02:47 PM.
Schumann.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Don`t bother with a German Theme . . . .we could have one composer each . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by outo

... why not Shostakovich, he also has wonderful pieces that range from easy to...well you know smile

There are many excellent composers that could likely fill the bill. As we open up more possibilities, so do we open up more discussion and challenge towards deciding on one.
Originally Posted by outo

Does it have to be just one composer btw? We could also have a soviet theme... Any composer who lived and worked in the Soviet Union...?

Great idea too. But, as above, not sure where we might go with that before deciding.
---
+1 Schumann.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I'm just desperately trying to come up with suggestions, so that it won't be Schumann or Bach...anything else, pretty please... smile

Or Mozart or Beethoven...I think anyone else will do... laugh

Last edited by outo; 08/04/14 03:55 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
I think let's keep it simple and stick to one composer for this. Something about studying one composer's works like this I find to be very enlightening. Not a bad idea, but we do have to draw a line somewhere smile

It is looking like a lot of interest for Schumann.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I think let's keep it simple and stick to one composer for this. Something about studying one composer's works like this I find to be very enlightening. Not a bad idea, but we do have to draw a line somewhere smile

It is looking like a lot of interest for Schumann.

Sigh... But I'm sure you're right, one composer is interesting.

One question from a newbie, is only one recording of a piece allowed? So if something is already picked, then others cannot do it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission