2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bgiles
Originally Posted by Bussit
I noticed halfway between up and down key position that the 800's key "catches" slightly if you press softly. If you play regular velocity you can't feel the catch spot, but if you play very softly you can detect it. Doesn't seem natural to me.

The PHA-4 keyboard has 'Escapement' to emulate the action of a real piano, and will feel completely normal to most users.

The RD-700NX's PHAIII keyboard also featured 'Escapement'.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
K
Originally Posted by Bussit

Functionally, I don't understand why Roland won't put a basic midi recorder on the RD board. 100,000 note sequencer with 128 slots would be amazing, and solve so many problems for me, as producer and as piano teacher. Why is it so hard to add a simple midi sequencer?? Anyone have any recommendations for a super simple midi recorder I could hook up (so I wouldn't have to fire up Mac system every time I just want to record piano playing).

Originally Posted by Gretel

I would also be interested in some cheap external MIDI sequencer. Any advice appreciated.

As I am halfway through developing such a product (hardware midi recorder) with emphasis on simplicity of operation and reliability, do you think you need any more features besides recording, multitrack capability and tempo change?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
What has been useful on the most basic midi recorders includes:

Selectable time signature (from list or user input),
Choice of quantize resolution,
Copy track/ selection
Duplicate track
Mute & Solo
Chain sequence (into song/piece/project)
Click track volume adjustment is very useful, too.

If you want a simple 'note pad' type of recorder, this might be sufficient.....though I'm bound to have left some essential or other out.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
K
K
Originally Posted by toddy
What has been useful on the most basic midi recorders includes:

Selectable time signature (from list or user input),
Choice of quantize resolution,
Copy track/ selection
Duplicate track
Mute & Solo
Chain sequence (into song/piece/project)
Click track volume adjustment is very useful, too.

If you want a simple 'note pad' type of recorder, this might be sufficient.....though I'm bound to have left some essential or other out.

Mute & Solo is in, about Chain sequence I will think about a way to incorporate it! For the rest I am afraid they might distract from the simplicity of the concept, but I will keep them in mind. Thank you for your input!!

Just a few words:

Key action is not the same as the RD700. At first I thought It was inferior, as in the key action felt a little sloppier/looser/bouncier. But after spending time with it we settled our differences. Still isn't as perfect as the RD700nx thing IMO. Good news is that the dynamics in the 800 have improved over 700's and you can get super super soft tones . Great overall

As an ex owner of a 700nx before buying the 800,i don't find the keybed so different between the 2.
I don't have played them side by side,but after a lot of playing i have the felling the 800 is a little better.
It's a little more expressive,quite perfect on the way you can perform dynamic range upon your fingers.
I don't know if the 800 is less heavier than the 700nx,but i found it more easier.
The connection between the sound/keybed and my fingers is the best i ever had on a digital piano.
I don't know if this is because of the new PHA4 sensors..but i found the expressiveness a little more natural than the 700 in my memory.
I would never go back to the 700 nx after playing it a lot(even if the 700 nx was really good we are ok)
I have the Cp4 too(and i love it)but the yam is a little less subtile than the roland in my point of view for keybed/sound connection.

-I prefer the steel casing and extra weight of the 700nx to the plastic casing of the 800. I trust that the 800 is robust, and that's all well and good, but I prefer steel casing.

I agree the 700 case was like a tank,the 800 doesn' t have this particularity.
But honestly the 800 plastic case was a good surprise:
It's really a hard plastic case,on the highest range possible for plastic.
Absolutly not cheap..and better than my Cp4

-The 700nx's pianos are superb and more than competent for all the music styles I do

You have all the 700 nx pianos in the 800(correct me if i'm wrong),so i don't understand your reaction.
You have all the 700 nx models,and more with a new grand,upright(not available in the 700nx)and a far better new generation of eps.
And all the diverse other sounds are more subtile and better on the 800.with some new samples available.
So i can't see why the 700nx would be better than the new.
For sounds,the 800 as all the 700nx and ++

My personal conclusion between the 2 is simple:
All is better on the 800 except the metal case of the 700 series...
I can't find another thing better in the old model(even if i spent 2 years with the 700 nx and was very happy with it)

roland RD 2000,Korg kronos 2,korg PA4x,Korg sv1,,NORD Electro 5D
G
G
Originally Posted by koch
As I am halfway through developing such a product (hardware midi recorder) with emphasis on simplicity of operation and reliability, do you think you need any more features besides recording, multitrack capability and tempo change?

A looper function would be great. Doesn't need to be fancy, just about the same functionality that a Ditto would provide (but of course working on midi data and not audio samples).

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
K
K

Would you find hand operated buttons instead of a footswitch input sufficient for the looper?

Last edited by koch; 08/14/14 09:15 AM.
G
G
Sure.

Edit: Shortest post ever!

Last edited by Gretel; 08/14/14 03:03 PM.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
G
G
So I got my RD-800 and I'm very very happy with the action and the sound. But, as my last piano was circa 2001 (Roland KF-90) I don't know [censored] about midi controlling/sequencing and what that could do for my live performance. I really don't know the first thing, I asked Roland how I could keep the beats they've provided BUT change the drum kit and they said to get a midi sequencer, oh what the heck I'll just past the email:

"It is not possible to select different drum kits for the rhythms from the front panel of the RD-800. You can use standard MIDI messages on MIDI channel 10 to select different drum kits, though. You can see on pages 20-24 of the RD-800 Sound List document that there are several different kits available, and each one has a specific Bank MSB, Bank LSB, and PC (program change) message. You could use an external sequencer, MIDI controller, or you could even connect the MIDI OUT of the RD-800 back to it's own MIDI IN and use the MIDI Control section of the RD-800 to send these messages. Unfortunately these settings are not saved, so you would need to re-send them whenever you wanted to select a different drum kit."

So my situation is that I use an Alesis SR-18 drum machine but would rather use the drums in the piano. What would you guys do/buy to accomplish this?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hook a laptop to your keyboard (via a USB-midi converter) and use the laptop to send the correct midi codes.

G
G
How about without a laptop to bring along? Laptops aren't really road worthy for what I'm doing.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi Bussit, are you tried Kawai MP7?... IMHO, this DP has a key action very similar to RD700NX in feel and downweight but it share the advantages of high resolution as RD800, is highly responsive as RD800 but not bouncy feeling... is less noisier and thumpy than RD700NX key action... and less money than both Roland DP too... Regards!.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sigh...

On a 6 month old thread.

I mean....why not....

Industry Consultant
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I'm sighing too. It's just too much!

T
T
It must be a joke... have to be...

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission