Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (AnimistFvR, Anita Potter, Anne'sson, acoxcae, Abby Pianoman, 37 invisible), 1495 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2310933 - 08/04/14 10:01 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: alans]
musicalinfinity Offline

Loc: Singapore
I have changed a teacher once, but it wasn't quite a "firing". It was more of me feeling that I wasn't really gaining much from the lessons as it seemed like she wasn't really giving me the guidance I wanted? I was just beginning then but I felt like she wasn't focusing on the fundamentals, such as how the hands should be when playing the piano. Consequently I stopped lessons for a while before looking for a new teacher.

I am delighted with my current teacher, who is also my second teacher. One of the first things she corrected was my method of playing and she also introduces me to different forms of music. She doesn't push me for the graded exams, but gives me plenty of pieces which gradually teach me different techniques. Most importantly, she throws in a mixture of "famous" pieces to keep me excited.

To all the piano teachers out there, you guys are really special and can make a huge difference. Thank you for spreading the joys of making music to the rest of us. smile

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2311356 - 08/05/14 08:00 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: bennevis]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: bennevis
Yes, if the doctor is paid for each consultation, each test he orders, each prescription he gives, which is the case in USA. There, he'll want the patients with the greatest number of chronic diseases....

Not so in the UK, with the National Health Service, where all consultations, tests and treatments are free at source. The 'best' patients are those who register with you and never see you for any ailments. thumb

Which is why the US system makes a lot more sense.

Polyphonist

#2311422 - 08/05/14 10:43 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Polyphonist]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Yes, if the doctor is paid for each consultation, each test he orders, each prescription he gives, which is the case in USA. There, he'll want the patients with the greatest number of chronic diseases....

Not so in the UK, with the National Health Service, where all consultations, tests and treatments are free at source. The 'best' patients are those who register with you and never see you for any ailments. thumb

Yes, doctors see a lot of 'worried well' in USA, and make a fortune out of........

#2311843 - 08/06/14 06:40 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Polyphonist]
MandyD Offline

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

As a nurse I have to totally disagree with you on this. Within the Australian health care system there are great fears that due to the current Government we are heading towards an American type system and I couldn't think of anything worse (sorry).

#2311849 - 08/06/14 07:07 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: alans]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I agree, couldn't think of a worse medical system then the American..
A girl from Colorado I know was saving for 3 years for a knee surgery when I last spoke to her. Over here that would cost you effectively 0.0 EUR.

#2311861 - 08/06/14 08:07 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: wimpiano]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Originally Posted By: wimpiano
I agree, couldn't think of a worse medical system then the American.

Sorry but this is a silly and borderline ignorant comment. We have some the best medical minds and technology in the world. I work with a half dozen European-born folks who have since come to American and have become citizens. They may disagree on many things, but they do agree on one thing: Our system is far superior to anything they had overseas in EVERY way.

The problem with health care in American is not the quality of it. It is that some folks can't afford the basic care they need. Right now that debate is raging here, and I hope the end result is that basic care will be available to ALL folks at little or no cost.

Note to moderator: Can we get this thread back on target? If we want to have a raging discussion with our overseas members about the quality of our health care systems there are plenty of places to go.

PPS: It is probably good that a certain member who resides in Rochester MN (Home of the Mayo Clinic which provides some of the best heath care in the WORLD) is currently on "vacation" right. That comment would probably send him over the edge.

Edited by BrianDX (08/06/14 08:17 AM)

#2311863 - 08/06/14 08:16 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: alans]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Sorry didn't know it was such a sensitive subject. I hope to be not borderline ignorant. My point was that although there are very good doctors in the US, for the common man they're just hard to afford.
Example: I pay 100-120 EUR per month for insurance and it will get me ANY doctor on the world. If a doctor in the US can treat me to safe my life (however expensive it is), it will be done.
So in that aspect US healthcare is more accessible to me as a European (there is no such thing as a European btw. The level of Healthcare across Europe is very diverse) than for the average American citizen.

#2311865 - 08/06/14 08:22 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: wimpiano]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

About 80% of the folks here have access to good to very good medical care that they can afford (mostly through their employers). The problem is the 20% who don't (Still about 50 million people).

For those folks right now who don't live in the United States, this is a raging debate that is dividing us in a terrible way.

Sorry I did not mean to be strident here wimpiano, but this is a debate best left to other forums.

At least in this forum we can agree we love talking about pianos! I come here to get relief from the other raging debates in this country. frown

#2311866 - 08/06/14 08:22 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: wimpiano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: wimpiano
Sorry didn't know it was such a sensitive subject. I hope to be not borderline ignorant. My point was that although there are very good doctors in the US, for the common man they're just hard to afford.
Example: I pay 100-120 EUR per month for insurance and it will get me ANY doctor on the world. If a doctor in the US can treat me to safe my life (however expensive it is), it will be done.
So in that aspect US healthcare is more accessible to me as a European (there is no such thing as a European btw. The level of Healthcare across Europe is very diverse) than for the average American citizen.
Health insurance for me being self-employed used to be about 3 times that for my husband and I. This is for a catastrophic plan with a $5k deductible. This is no longer allowed by Obamacare, and the insurance that we have to pay for through Obamacare is far more than that. Thanks, Obama, but your definition of "affordable" doesn't match mine. /rant
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2311869 - 08/06/14 08:26 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Morodiene]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

This is a good example of the debate. The new health plan, designed to give affordable heath to "everyone" has, at least IMHO hurt as many people as it is helped.

#2311873 - 08/06/14 08:36 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: BrianDX]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

One other tidbit about the new health care plan and I'm going on hiatus on this thread as it is not a fun subject.

The entire bill was crafted, voted on, and passed by only one of our political parties. Given that the political preferences of Americans roughly fall as 1/3 Democrats, 1/3 Republicans, and 1/3 Independents, imagine that this bill which affects ALL 320 million of us was designed by a party that only represents 1/3 of us.

#2311875 - 08/06/14 08:56 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: BrianDX]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: BrianDX
One other tidbit about the new health care plan and I'm going on hiatus on this thread as it is not a fun subject.

The entire bill was crafted, voted on, and passed by only one of our political parties. Given that the political preferences of Americans roughly fall as 1/3 Democrats, 1/3 Republicans, and 1/3 Independents, imagine that this bill which affects ALL 320 million of us was designed by a party that only represents 1/3 of us.

And that is with the assumption that this particular bill was supported by the constituents of this party. But, we have digressed quite a bit from the main topic here LOL.

#2311893 - 08/06/14 10:28 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Morodiene]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

+1! smile

#2311896 - 08/06/14 10:33 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Morodiene]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Health insurance for me being self-employed used to be about 3 times that for my husband and I. This is for a catastrophic plan with a $5k deductible. This is no longer allowed by Obamacare, and the insurance that we have to pay for through Obamacare is far more than that. Thanks, Obama, but your definition of "affordable" doesn't match mine. /rant

At least in the U.S. you can get an ambulance when one is needed. Here in Sweden a person needs to convince the emergency operator to send one, and if a person passes out before then or becomes unavailable it can go either way.

http://www.thelocal.se/20110413/33172

It might explain why police here recently pursued a German ambulance that was here to pick someone up and not following the traffic rules!

http://www.thelocal.se/20140802/swedish-police-chase-german-ambulance

#2311897 - 08/06/14 10:35 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: alans]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
The cost of healthcare is not associated with any political party. It is independent of politics. It costs what it costs.

The only reason it may cost more NOW for some is because the insurance companies can no longer refuse coverage to those that are SICK !

So, you have a choice ... pay the TRUE COST of healthcare and include everyone or exclude those that are SICK and pay much less. Then, let the sickies pay for it on their own and go broke in the process.

You can argue and lay blame all you want ... but that is basically what it comes down to.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2311898 - 08/06/14 10:38 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: BrianDX]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal

All true, except this was the plan advocated by the Heritage Foundation and the Republican Party, even implemented in one state by a Republican governor. They only opposed it once a Democratic president accepted it.

Tying healthcare to employment is almost as stupid as making healthcare a profit center.

edit: What we really need is universal piano care. :-)

Edited by Plowboy (08/06/14 10:39 AM)

#2311927 - 08/06/14 12:38 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Plowboy]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Plowboy
All true, except this was the plan advocated by the Heritage Foundation and the Republican Party, even implemented in one state by a Republican governor. They only opposed it once a Democratic president accepted it.

Goodness gratious. This statement above was probably taken almost word-for-word from the DNC talking points.

If you laid the Heritage plan and the ACA side-by-side they probably are 10% similar. I think the real reason no GOP legislator signed onto this is that ZERO (I repeat ZERO) GOP amendments were added to the bill.

The sad thing is, if you and I sat in a room and hammered out the basics of a heath plan that would really move the ball forward we could do it I reckon, because we probably agree for the most part what is broken with the current system. The problem is our political system is severely broken here (both parties share equal blame). A heath care system that truly works for all Americans is just one sad victim of this disfunction.

#2311929 - 08/06/14 12:40 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: dmd]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dmd
The cost of healthcare is not associated with any political party. It is independent of politics. It costs what it costs.

Totally correct on all three fronts. I never stated otherwise...

#2311936 - 08/06/14 01:08 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: BrianDX]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The new health plan, designed to give affordable heath to "everyone" has, at least IMHO hurt as many people as it is helped.

Well, some think that "affordable" means cheaper. It does not. It means within their means to pay for it.

Just because someone's healthcare insurance premiums have risen does not mean that was a failure on the part of the "affordable" care act. It still may be affordable, just not "cheaper".

In order to give "affordable" healthcare to EVERYONE there probably is a need to charge some more than they had been paying in order to make it affordable to those earning poverty wages. The "help your neighbor" concept ?

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2311949 - 08/06/14 02:06 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: dmd]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd

Well, some think that "affordable" means cheaper. It does not. It means within their means to pay for it.

Just because someone's healthcare insurance premiums have risen does not mean that was a failure on the part of the "affordable" care act. It still may be affordable, just not "cheaper".

In order to give "affordable" healthcare to EVERYONE there probably is a need to charge some more than they had been paying in order to make it affordable to those earning poverty wages. The "help your neighbor" concept ?

1) Last time I checked this was not a socialist republic. If I choose to help out someone in need, I do so on an individual basis. I should not be forced to foot the bill for those that make less money simply because I make more.

2) I should also be allowed to determine what kind of financial hardship/burden I can afford to bear. I shouldn't be told I HAVE to have coverage, or have coverage at a certain level, when I know I have enough liquid assets saved up to cover a certain amount of major medical expenses.

#2311983 - 08/06/14 03:35 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Morodiene]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
1) Last time I checked this was not a socialist republic. If I choose to help out someone in need, I do so on an individual basis. I should not be forced to foot the bill for those that make less money simply because I make more.

2) I should also be allowed to determine what kind of financial hardship/burden I can afford to bear. I shouldn't be told I HAVE to have coverage, or have coverage at a certain level, when I know I have enough liquid assets saved up to cover a certain amount of major medical expenses.

You have made your position crystal clear. Good Luck to you.

#2312007 - 08/06/14 04:24 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: BrianDX]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Note to moderator: Can we get this thread back on target? If we want to have a raging discussion with our overseas members about the quality of our health care systems there are plenty of places to go.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Whoa nelly ---- this thread has been more than slightly derailled!

How about we call it a wrap on the subject of medicare and move back to the subject of terminating one's working relationship with a teacher?

Thank you kindly for your cooperation.

#2312059 - 08/06/14 06:29 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: musicalinfinity]
Purkoy Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: musicalinfinity
She doesn't push me for the graded exams, but gives me plenty of pieces which gradually teach me different techniques. Most importantly, she throws in a mixture of "famous" pieces to keep me excited.

That's interesting, because it is close to my experience. I made a choice not to progress through an exam system, since I'm not sure of its value to me. I took up piano at a very late age, relatively speaking (62 takes me just out of the child prodigy category), and have had enough of a lifetime of exams, and I do this for the sheer joy it brings. She does, however, steer me through the topics and areas that I'd expect an exam-oriented syllabus to cover. Interesting too that she throws in a few pieces, or rather genres, I'd not expected, such as jazz flavours and the like. Comparing my practical musical experience as a novice pianist, to my listening experience of music over many decades, as a concert-goer or record collector, it has made me realise, with something of a gulp, that I have been what I'd have called in others a musical snob. Almost imperceptibly, she has been opening doors to new rooms in the mansion of music, that I'd never before thought of stepping through. She's introduced me to layers of musicality far beyond the mere mechanics of it ; and the ability to inspire is the mark of a great teacher.

#2312104 - 08/06/14 08:16 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Purkoy]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Quite frankly your teacher sounds fabulous!

I also started a year ago in my mid-fifties and I am in no frame of mind to start studying for exams at this point. shocked

#2312113 - 08/06/14 08:57 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: BrianDX]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I think that if I started learning piano fairly late (as in over 40 yrs old), I probably wouldn't bother to do exams - by then I'd know my own mind and know what I want to achieve, and what I'm interested in. And I'd be looking for a teacher who would teach me exactly what I want to learn (and that means no pop, easy-listening or jazz grin ).

But for a child learner, there's a lot to be said for doing exams, after reading so many posts in ABF and elsewhere in PW about the slapdash approach of some teachers, who leave gaping holes in their students' piano and musical education. The big advantage of exams is that the entire syllabus for each grade has to be covered - which means that sight-reading skills along with ear training and scales & arpeggios have to be mastered alongside the pieces for that level.

It's all too easy, for instance, for a beginner who is good at memorizing to learn pieces by rote and never manage to sight-read properly (there are some recent posts by adult learners on this) - fine, if the adult learner can't be bothered to master this essential skill, because he only wants to play certain pieces he likes, or just wants to play by ear. A child isn't likely to know what he'll be wanting to learn in five years' time, nor how far he will progress. Without good sight-reading and/or aural skills (recognizing intervals etc), it's almost impossible to progress beyond intermediate standard.

#2312116 - 08/06/14 09:08 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: bennevis]
Morodiene Offline

I think that if I started learning piano fairly late (as in over 40 yrs old), I probably wouldn't bother to do exams - by then I'd know my own mind and know what I want to achieve, and what I'm interested in. And I'd be looking for a teacher who would teach me exactly what I want to learn (and that means no pop, easy-listening or jazz grin ).

But for a child learner, there's a lot to be said for doing exams, after reading so many posts in ABF and elsewhere in PW about the slapdash approach of some teachers, who leave gaping holes in their students' piano and musical education. The big advantage of exams is that the entire syllabus for each grade has to be covered - which means that sight-reading skills along with ear training and scales & arpeggios have to be mastered alongside the pieces for that level.

It's all too easy, for instance, for a beginner who is good at memorizing to learn pieces by rote and never manage to sight-read properly (there are some recent posts by adult learners on this) - fine, if the adult learner can't be bothered to master this essential skill, because he only wants to play certain pieces he likes, or just wants to play by ear. A child isn't likely to know what he'll be wanting to learn in five years' time, nor how far he will progress. Without good sight-reading and/or aural skills (recognizing intervals etc), it's almost impossible to progress beyond intermediate standard.
Excellent post! I totally agree. smile

#2312122 - 08/06/14 09:31 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: bennevis]
MandyD Offline

Loc: Australia

This is how I feel too. I'm a late starter (42) so I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting exams. I'm never going to be a concert pianist or able to make a career of it, I just want to play whatever I want. However, my daughter who is 8 will do her exams (if she wishes to continue learning) as I think not only does it broaden her musical horizons & make sure that she has learnt theory/practice well, but it gives her more options down the track if she wants to take this further academically or eventually make a career of it.

#2312131 - 08/06/14 09:49 PM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: MandyD]
BrianDX Online   content
500 Post Club Member

The one thing I would add is that at 58 I would be delighted to eventually achieve intermediate status. Having said that, I try to pay special attention to the basic skills described above, as I don't want to limit any future achievement that might be possible.

That is where the true value of my teacher comes in. She will not let the little details go unnoticed; no passing of pieces until everything is as perfect as can be.

#2312198 - 08/07/14 01:06 AM Re: Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why? [Re: Bamburg]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: Bamburg
I had to "fire" my first piano teacher. He just seemed to want me to learn by rote and didn't really have answers to any of my questions. On top of that he actually fell asleep in the middle of one of my lessons, so I suppose that was the final straw for me.

And I thought my ex-teacher getting up during a lesson to get herself a bowl of cereal to chomp on was bad enough.

I'm not sure what I'd have done in your situation. Unless I was playing a lullaby at the time in which case that might be considered a compliment. laugh

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1
XXXV

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 07:55 PM
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159433 Topics
2342017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission