Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
133 registered (BabyCat, Anita Potter, AZNpiano, Auver, 47 invisible), 1433 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2311973 - 08/06/14 03:13 PM Do you smell or taste music?
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I just started reading Oliver Sachs' book Musicophilia and in the introduction he says that some people experience colors(I knew that because it's been talked about a lot at PW and I think some members have this experience),

and other people experience smells or tastes or feel various sensations in their body when listening to music. And some people can be passionately moved by music despite being unable to make any "sense" of what they are hearing.

Has anyone heard much about or actually experienced what I mention in the second "paragraph"?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2311979 - 08/06/14 03:21 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Yes! Sometimes music really stinks.

#2311984 - 08/06/14 03:38 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
No smells or tastes from listening to music, but I have developed a liking for the slight odor of old pianos and old sheet music. The odor is associated with music in general, not the other way, though.

As for colors, there's a physical basis for an association. Light is a wave phenomenon, and if you keep on doubling frequency, going up octave after octave, eventually you get to the visible spectrum, which is just short of an octave wide.

If we continue the way octaves are numbered on an 88 key piano, A0 through C8, it turns out that F#44 through G#44 are red, A44 is orange, A#44 is yellow, B44 and C45 are green, C#45 is cyan, and D45 through F45 are all blue.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2311988 - 08/06/14 03:51 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: JohnSprung]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: JohnSprung
If we continue the way octaves are numbered on an 88 key piano, A0 through C8, it turns out that F#44 through G#44 are red, A44 is orange, A#44 is yellow, B44 and C45 are green, C#45 is cyan, and D45 through F45 are all blue.
Does everyone who sees colors see the same color for a given note?

#2311992 - 08/06/14 03:58 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Does everyone who sees colors see the same color for a given note?
From what I've read, the answer is no.

www.josephkubera.com

#2311995 - 08/06/14 04:00 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Sometimes, when I'm sight reading horn parts with my butt. I haven't eaten any sound lately but I'll let you know.

#2311998 - 08/06/14 04:06 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
The Dies Irae by Verdi is so vivid you can nearly smell the sulfur from the day of wrath, and see the flames.

Listen to it though, don't watch it on youtube (or close your eyes).

#2312073 - 08/06/14 07:01 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
gynnis Offline

Loc: Florida, Connecticut
Sometimes I can taste it, especially playing Bach. Usually, it's creamy.

#2312076 - 08/06/14 07:04 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
MALDI_ToF Offline

Loc: Vancouver
Sometimes I smell the wine from my beverage. But that probably doesn't count laugh

Alas I seem to only be able to hear music.

#2312435 - 08/07/14 12:51 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
Fiona0424 Offline

I definitely see colors. All the time! I often see scenery and images in my head while playing.
As for tastes and smells... Not really. Actually not at all. smirk I do get feelings of hot and cold. For instance, in the 7th movement of Papillons, I always feel like I'm inside a warm cottage, looking outside where it is snowing and windy. I get such a warm cozy feeling as if I really am warm inside a cottage... And funnily, my professor said the same thing! Ha!

"If music be food of love, play on!"
P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
And when he behaves, Rachmaninoff is my darling! ;p

#2312442 - 08/07/14 01:29 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: Fiona0424]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Fiona0424
I definitely see colors. All the time! I often see scenery and images in my head while playing.
As for tastes and smells... Not really. Actually not at all. smirk I do get feelings of hot and cold. For instance, in the 7th movement of Papillons, I always feel like I'm inside a warm cottage, looking outside where it is snowing and windy. I get such a warm cozy feeling as if I really am warm inside a cottage... And funnily, my professor said the same thing! Ha!

OP is talking about synesthesia; everybody has the experiences you do, but few have synesthesia.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2312468 - 08/07/14 02:28 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
No, but I've noticed that certain pieces will pop into my head based on how I am feeling and what is happening, and a disproportionate number of them are from Scriabin. If I hear the big piano run from the third movement of Scriabin's Concerto, I know that I am stressed. If I hear the C# minor etude, Op. 42 No. 5, I am pensive. If I hear the 4th Sonata, I am curious or searching. For some reason, his music just resonates with my moods, such that it starts up with seemingly no provocation at all.

#2313236 - 08/08/14 11:42 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
When I smell something, I blame it on the dog.

#2313499 - 08/09/14 04:37 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
Roland The Beagle Offline

Loc: California
I can't decide if I have synethesia or not. Sometimes I have experiences of colors while listening to music but they are pretty faint. They do seem to be fairly correlated to the key - the same keys seem to induce the same colors, but it's not so cut and dry. For me emotions and feelings are also almost always woven into music that aren't so concretely emotional or sensual but something in between. Also, I'm not sure if I have perfect pitch, but I've taught myself through practice to recognize notes and keys by referencing songs in my memory. I have a very accurate, spacious, and robust tonal memory that lets me do this.

I've read the same book, and there is a chapter about a guy who can infer the keys of music because he remembers songs and instruments, and also that he has a kind of 'looser' synethesia. Dr. Sacks believes he has relative pitch. In any case, that character more closely describes me.

I have never experienced the smell or taste thing! That's a lovely book by the way - the story of the man with permanent amnesia was so terrifying, interesting, and inspiring!
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach

#2313819 - 08/10/14 01:22 PM Re: Do you smell or taste music? [Re: pianoloverus]
Verbum mirabilis Offline

I've heard a person with synesthesia describe food tasting like music but not the other way around.
Bach: P&F in D minor, book 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
12/19/14 07:15 PM
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
12/19/14 06:45 PM
Problems with the forum
by Peter071
12/19/14 06:34 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160001 Topics
2349612 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission