2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Does anybody have any tips, please, on refinishing an antique french polished cabinet? It is finished with a burr walnut veneer.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
My piano fits that description, and I had some quotes to have it refinished. I got the impression that French polish isn't tough stuff (it dissolves in alcohol?), and that it can be removed with paint stripper.
It's expensive though, and labour-intensive to reapply. It was going to be far cheaper to have the piano refinished with some sort of spray-on modern satin finish, and a gloss version of that would still be comfortably cheaper than French polish.

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have heard of the suggested use of car polish, but a delicate, antique veneer finish needs the skill and attention of an expert in French polishing. The cheaper alternative is the glossy spray on finish which looks crude when compared to the original French polished cabinet.

It is not a job for an amateur.

Good luck!
Robert.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
French polish is shellac flakes dissolved in alcohol. It is difficult to apply successfully but it is easy to start over when you mess up.

It is a fragile finish but there is nothing more beautiful. You could certainly learn to do it yourself if you have sufficient time (maybe years) and a passion for fine woodwork. Most shellac work these days is done on string instruments such as guitars. There is a lot of information on the internet about working with shellac.

A professional french polish job will be expensive and it will be just as fragile and if you did it yourself.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
You don't strip it, you apply over it and the process moves the existing shellac around. It is, IMHO, the easiest and safest finish to work with. It is a very thin tough finish that is easy to repair. It is not as fragile as people think.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
It looks as if I might be getting some new neigbours. The lady of the house is a wood turner and seems very clued up on such matters. So when the guts of the machine have been sorted out by my tech I might call upon her services to do some cabinet restoration.

She discusses the relative merits of different woods. I did get to wondering what a wood expert is called. (She is called Julie, but you know what I mean). I think a twigologist is a good term, It has certainly baffled the spell checker!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lignologist?

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
T
tdv Offline
T
I have done hand rubbed oil finishes (boiled lindseed oil) before on other wood pieces. I have never seen it done on a piano. Does anyone know if it is ever used on pianos? Would it be bad to do on a piano?

1978 Charles Walter piano
1915 5"1' Weber
Seeking truth in all areas of life
M
M
You might look at Chuck Behm's photo journal essay on a Cable Upright. He has some nice refinishing tips that I've tried with great success. I using Behlen's Rockhard Table Top Varnish for the top of the piano; it's one place that gets a lot of abuse.

See Cable Upright Photo Journal

- Rick

Learning to play the piano, very happy with my 1907 Ivers Pond uprights, and ready to part with my Yamha C7 - not the sound I like.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission