2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
boo1234 #2312148 08/06/14 10:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boo1234

While I applaud your effort to become proficient in English, learning the piano to the level of a performance degree is a totally different beast. You're comparing apples to oranges. It would be more fair to compare it to something like never having played basketball and expecting to make your university team as a walk on.

Boo, stick it back up your nose where you found it. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Really.

You have no basis on which to be so disparaging. Unless of course, your musical life turned out to be one big failure in every respect. If that's the case, we'd like to hear the story. And perhaps you should ask the rest of us for some help. Because more than a few of us made it into the professional ranks against even greater odds than the OP here, and some of us were at an advanced age when we started.

In point of fact, there's no telling how far a person can go once they set their mind to it.

Can you trouble yourself to give some constructive ideas instead of tearing down, well, everything??

Last edited by laguna_greg; 08/06/14 10:27 PM. Reason: better parenting requires more scolding, not less
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

While I applaud your effort to become proficient in English, learning the piano to the level of a performance degree is a totally different beast. You're comparing apples to oranges. It would be more fair to compare it to something like never having played basketball and expecting to make your university team as a walk on.

Boo, stick it back up your nose where you found it. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Really.

You have no basis on which to be so disparaging. Unless of course, your musical life turned out to be one big failure in every respect. If that's the case, we'd like to hear the story. And perhaps you should ask the rest of us for some help. Because more than a few of us made it into the professional ranks against even greater odds than the OP here, and some of us were at an advanced age when we started.

In point of fact, there's no telling how far a person can go once they set their mind to it.

Can you trouble yourself to give some constructive ideas instead of tearing down, well, everything??

You expect OP to be able to go from being a beginner to playing performance major technically difficult pieces in four years all while being 49 and working at night to pay bills? And speaking of bills, what about tuition?

What about the other classes that would be required for the degree? Or sleeping?

You live in a fantasy land and are giving the OP false hope.

I did give advice and sensible advice at that. Get a private teacher and study music as a hobby.

Mlejnek #2312400 08/07/14 11:46 AM
M
Mlejnek Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you to everybody for advices. It was really helpful to discuss my future with professionals. I will try to find some job in Hospitality in England or Ireland. The private teacher will be the best solution. Thanks one more

Mlejnek #2312420 08/07/14 12:16 PM
I think a private teacher is a good choice. Let them know what you want to accomplish (a music degree), but know that this isn't something that will happen quickly. It may take literally years before you get to a level where entrance in a Bachelor programme is realistic. Set some smaller, more achievable goals for the short term. It will take lots of little steps to get into a BMus programme (and many more to finish it!).

While your goal is achievable, you must set a realistic timeframe (9 years perhaps even more...and this is just to get in a BMus programme) or you will be surely disappointed.

Mlejnek #2312436 08/07/14 12:56 PM
M
M
I know a couple of people who entered pretty decent performance programs within 4 years or less of starting to play their primary instruments, but admittedly the circumstances were different - they had had previous experience playing other instruments and they were in their late teens so didn't have to work full time. It might be possible, but as others say it may not be a reasonable goal to look towards at this time. If you work hard with a good private teacher for a few years, you'll get a better idea of whether entering a piano performance program is feasible or even something that you want. Even without a performance degree, with hard work you might be eventually able work teaching piano/accompanying;etc. part time or maybe even full time. One of the best teachers in our area started teaching very late as a second career, though again she had been a proficient pianist through early adulthood.

boo1234 #2312515 08/07/14 04:02 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Really.

You expect OP to be able to go from being a beginner to playing performance major technically difficult pieces in four years all while being 49 and working at night to pay bills? And speaking of bills, what about tuition?

What about the other classes that would be required for the degree? Or sleeping?

I did give advice and sensible advice at that. Get a private teacher and study music as a hobby.

Boo, you have no idea what is possible for this person. Your ability to foretell the future is nonexistent. However, that doesn't seem to stop you from giving really bad advice, and being a killjoy at the same time. The only reason I can think of that would motivate that kind of negativity is a very resentful jealousy. It's really not very attractive.

Tell me, is this how you talk to every new poster on this forum?

I didn't have my first music lesson of any kind until I was almost 20, and it turned into a very nice and successful career. I'm so glad I didn't listen to the bunch of negative people like you who also could not predict the future.

There's no telling how far anyone can go in Art, if that is what they really want.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

Really.

Boo, you have no idea what is possible for this person. Your ability to foretell the future is nonexistent. However, that doesn't seem to stop you from giving really bad advice, and being a killjoy at the same time. The only reason I can think of that would motivate that kind of negativity is a very resentful jealousy. It's really not very attractive.

Tell me, is this how you talk to every new poster on this forum?

I didn't have my first music lesson of any kind until I was almost 20, and it turned into a very nice and successful career. I'm so glad I didn't listen to the bunch of negative people like you who also could not predict the future.

There's no telling how far anyone can go in Art, if that is what they really want.

Is it possible that I will win the lottery? Sure it is, but it's not likely to happen. I'm sorry if you see me as a kill joy. I am far from it and a very optimistic person. However, there is a difference between being optimistic and being blinded by false hope.

To be honest, I believe YOU are the one who is giving bad advice.

Mlejnek #2312667 08/07/14 09:16 PM
M
Mlejnek Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am so sorry if my question starts unfriendly atmosfere in this room. Is there anyone from England or Ireland? Which country has a better situation for finding job in Hospitality and ofcourse to find a good private piano teacher?

Mlejnek #2312670 08/07/14 09:25 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mlejnek
I am so sorry if my question starts unfriendly atmosfere in this room. Is there anyone from England or Ireland? Which country has a better situation for finding job in Hospitality and ofcourse to find a good private piano teacher?

Given that you have high goals, start at the top. Find out who is playing in concerts in England and Ireland who lives locally (ie isn't out touring all year), see if you can hear a little of their playing on Youtube or on their website, and if you like their playing get in touch. Find out who teaches piano at the finest music colleges/conservatories there and ask if they also teach privately. You may be told no many times, but eventually you will be told yes, and you'll find someone of higher caliber than if you just look in the phone book.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
M
Mlejnek Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you very much, your advices are really helpful. Also your www. are beutiful. I wish you the best.

Mlejnek #2314099 08/11/14 07:26 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mlejnek
Is there anyone from England or Ireland? Which country has a better situation for finding job in Hospitality and ofcourse to find a good private piano teacher?

One of the challenges you face is that the cities with the widest selection of colleges and teachers will mainly be those that also have the highest cost of living.
If your plan is to support yourself by working in the hospitality sector then I strongly advise against living in London as the cost is just so high.
Do some research to find out what parts of the UK and Ireland might give you a manageable balance between employment opportunities, wages, cost of living and music education opportunities. Are there smaller regional centres that would offer the musical education you seek and be more affordable to live?

[Linked Image]
barbaram #2314104 08/11/14 07:55 AM
M
Mlejnek Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have never thinking to move to London, the most expensive city in the world. I like London, but I am not a millionaire. In my mind is Dublin in Ireland or some smaller town in the UK (Manchester).
There is a long way in front of me. I have never played any instrument in my live, but two years ago I find out, that I can’t live anymore without music. So I decided play the piano, second option was the violin, but I am very happy that finally decision was the piano. I have still big problem with sight reading, but it doesn’t meter, I am sure I will improve this.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission