2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26
B
B
For a cheap MIDI controller with good key action the Studiologic Sl-990 comes to my mind haven´t tested this Masterkeyboard yet but there are some small reviews up on Youtube.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Roland F-20 demo at Kraft Music. Thought this thread was a good spot to post as it is priced at $899.

Y
Y
Choosing over Kawai ES100 vs Casio PXA100/PX355. Is it really a big difference between the 2 sensor key of ES100 vs 3 sensor key of PXA100/PX350? Will the 2 sensor key okay and enough with ES100, or should just jump with the 3 sensor key of Privia?

This is for my son who is studying piano right now. I just want get a digital piano that can not easily be outgrown and is for long term usage. My son just need the basic piano sounds and what is important for him is the feel of the keys. He is not yet into fast note runs but hopefully reach that stage. Hoping your thoughts and recommendations especially those who have tried those twe units. Thanks.

Last edited by yeahyeah; 08/08/14 05:48 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by yeahyeah
Choosing over Kawai ES100 vs Casio PXA100/PX355. Is it really a big difference between the 2 sensor key of ES100 vs 3 sensor key of PXA100/PX350? Will the 2 sensor key okay and enough with ES100, or should just jump with the 3 sensor key of Privia?

This is for my son who is studying piano right now. I just want get a digital piano that can not easily be outgrown and is for long term usage. My son just need the basic piano sounds and what is important for him is the feel of the keys. He is not yet into fast note runs but hopefully reach that stage. Hoping your thoughts and recommendations especially those who have tried those twe units. Thanks.

I try both and end up buying the Kawai ES100. I am advanced pianist, even work for years playing on restaurants on real acoustic pianos. And I am happy on my choice for my home and for gigs. If I am happy, your son should be fine too with the ES100.

2 vs 3 sensor is not that important as you might think. Yes is better have 3 sensor over 2, but in reality it make so little difference that for me was not a problem so far.

When we choice digital pianos, or any device, we most choice between advantage and disadvantage of any model and brand. You mention the disadvantage of ES100 having only 2 sensors, and the advantage of the Casio with 3 sensor, but you are ignoring the many other advantage that the Kawai have over the Casio. For example: ES100 have 16 steps half pedal vs 3 steps of the casio. That make quite a difference because it allows more expression with the pedal. Also the ES100 have more silent key mechanism compare to the Privias that are quite noisy. That noise distracts in low volume and get annoying. Kawai have sample on all notes, and casio only 34 that are stretched, making the kawai sound much more realistic. Etc.

If anything, buy the Casio Privia PX-150 only if you want to safe money since is much cheaper than the Kawai, and those better things that Kawai have maybe don't worth the extra money for your needs. But for me it worth it.

If you only need a piano, don't buy the Casio PX-350 because it gives the same piano-experience as the PX-150/PX-A100 but with more extra features that I don't think your son needs, as far from what you say. No need to pay extra money for things that you will not use.

We all always say is better try it your-self in a store. If is possible, do it. If is not possible, let your son read the characteristics, watch videos, etc and let your son choice. Unless is too young?

Summary: Not watching price, the Kawai ES100 is better overall than the Casio PX-150. No doubt about it in my opinion. But if money is a problem, the PX-150 is good enough.

PS: No matter what you choice, you always will have to live with the disadvantage of your digital piano. All models have advantages as well as disadvantages over other models. If you choice X model you will have to live with X issues, but if you choice Y model you will have to live with Y issues. You have to choice what issue is more a big deal for you.

Good luck.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
M
M
I picked the Roland F-20 piano up as my first after having my father's 25 year old Kawai in my home. I am quite pleased with it, honestly. And I picked it up on sale.

For reference: I'm an intermediate student who's a bit lapsed in practice. I picked up the Roland to have something smaller in my apartment and easier to use, so that I would start practicing again. Making the change worked. smile

Last edited by Mina A; 08/08/14 07:47 PM.
Y
Y
@Daniel, thanks man for your input.. Just saw in youtube PianoManChuck review about triple sensor in Kawai VPC1 and Casio PX-5S. Looks like that triple sensor on Casio Privia is not really "smooth" and sounded like stuck. Maybe triple sensor really does worth it in high end digital pianos and not on low end models.

I am just not sure if the third sensor really does matter in your development and if I need to invest on it. What I do know (for not being a good piano player) is touch response is needed for dynamics, and my son's main concern is the feel of the keys (plus of course good grand piano sounds, internal speakers, headphone function and sustain damper pedal)

My son already tried ES100 and he likes it though he said the weight is light. His teacher said to look for Casio Privia. Havent tried the Privia yet and I am just reading the specs.

Then that makes me think. Technology and competition keep on changing so maybe in five years time there will be new model with better specs at cheaper price.

OP Offline
If he feel the ES100 is too light, make him try the PX-150 somehow. The casios have a bit heavier key action than the Kawai ES100. If he like it, don't think more and buy it.

Key feel is important to almost all of us. If feels right and sounds right, no need to see if have 2 sensors or 3. Trust me, the sensor thing should be the least of your worries. Concentrated instead on the feel of the action and the sound.

Like I say, any model you buy you will have advantages and disadvantages. Make your pick regarding on key feel and piano sound. If something bothers you more in X model than on Y model, buy Y model. I am talking about the experience of playing.

There is always new models of digital pianos, but is not that quick they get outdated. Is not like computers. Digital piano technology advance much slower. I think your son will wear out and broke your digital piano before you need an upgrade.

If anything, a real upgrade is on money, not time. Higher priced models are a lot better than any of this model we are talking about. There is always better digital pianos out there. Question is "can you afford it?". For now I think you can't or don't think is necessary pay 2000 US$ for a digital piano.

So don't worry too much about new future models.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

Owner of Kawai ES100
S
S
Hi had a p105 about a year ago. I was wondering if there was a glitch with mine, though.

It seemed very boomy on the the lower keys to the point their sound drowned out everything else.

The problem was so bad, that I switched to a p155.

But hearing your feedback makes me think it was just a flaw with mine and not something that other p105 owners are experiencing.

Roland F-130R
Formerly: Yamaha P-155 | Casio CDP-120 | Yamaha P-105 | Williams Allegro (had it for two weeks)
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sushi Hammer
Hi had a p105 about a year ago. I was wondering if there was a glitch with mine, though.

It seemed very boomy on the the lower keys to the point their sound drowned out everything else.

The problem was so bad, that I switched to a p155.

But hearing your feedback makes me think it was just a flaw with mine and not something that other p105 owners are experiencing.

Hard to say without any recording

Owner of Kawai ES100
S
S
Once I got the p155, I experienced a huge improvement in the sound. The lower end was well-balanced with the high keys, unlike the p105.

I know there many who are happy with their p105's and that is why I'm open to the possibility that it was a defect.

Roland F-130R
Formerly: Yamaha P-155 | Casio CDP-120 | Yamaha P-105 | Williams Allegro (had it for two weeks)
Y
Y
I just got Kawai ES100. The sound is fuller than Casio PAX10O. I also got it on discounted price with free keyboard stand, way cheaper than Casio PAX100 in my location. The acoustic piano sound is fantastic and the default room reverb is spot on.

As for the weight of the keys, ES100's is a bit lighter compared to PAX100 (but not so light and is still graded weighted), bouncy and not noisy. The salesman compared Casio PAX100 key weight to a brand new piano while that of ES100 is to an old piano where the weight and strings have already adjusted overtime due to playing. I just done know if the salesman claim was true. lol.

Just having trouble on having different layer variations on dual mode and split mode. I believe there is a problen with the functionality and how the manual is written for these two subjects.

Overall Kawai ES100 is a great buy if you are looking for piano sound and key feel. The sustain pedal is just a plus. My son's teacher is surprised and will recommend this to her other students.

Now I have to go back playing...

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Are you in the U.S.? If so, I'm interested in where you bought your ES100 - thanks!

PS: It's great your son's teacher is going to recommend the ES100 to others.

Y
Y
^^ Nope. I am from the Philippines. Musical gear prices here in the Philippines are usually double (or triple) the US online prices. So it is quite a surprise I got ES100 lower than US price.

Y
Y
Edit: Casio PXA100, Not PAX100

W
W
I have a Casio PX-120. Feels like it takes a lil for force to press the keys, which I am thinking may slow down my attempts for more dynamic faster play. Then again, I am a beginner so I might not know any better. Much appreciated if someone can comment if Casio Previa keys take more effort than other. Seems to me so when I tested out a Yamaha and kawai at local guitar center.

Current work in progress: Christmas Canon.
V
V
Im also from philippines. where did you bought your kawai es100?

M
M
Another factor that I am considering as I prepare to make a purchase is resale value, since unlike acoustic instruments, DPs depreciate significantly fairly quickly with the rapid innovations in technology. The Kawai ES100 sounds like a good buy from what several posters have said here, including Daniel Richter, but it's hard to judge how easy it will be to resell it if I want to upgrade in 2 or 3 years, since it's so new. I see plenty of recent-model sub-$1000 Yamaha and Casio models on eBay and the local Craigslist but not many Kawai, for example.

I have a nearly 15-year-old Yamaha 61-key keyboard that I'm planning to upgrade from, and I see from recent eBay sales that this model's resale value is probably at least $150 (and maybe as much as, optimistically, $300+). So there's some comfort in knowing that the brand recognition among potential buyers, for models in this lower price range, may help with resales a few years after the initial acquisition. Maybe just one more factor to think about when buying -- assuming the various models being considered are otherwise matched in terms of one's opinion of their sound and feel.

(By the way, let me add my thanks for all the work that went into compiling the details for the opening post of this thread.)

OP Offline
Actually Kawai is a very well-known brand. Is not as common as casio and yamaha, but in my opinion is a good thing. Less people selling means less competition to make drop the price. So many people sells yamahas and casios that they compete a lot in prices. People searching for kawais have a hard time. Kawai is known for his quality, and it shows on the 3 year warranty. Actually the ES100 is the first time Kawai goes on the entry-model area.

For someone that can't pay much, is amazing we can say "I own a Kawai". Is like saying "I own a mercedes". Well, not exactly the same but you get my point.

Ether way, all used digital pianos will drop price anyway. So enjoy and take care of it. Maybe save the box if you can so is easier to sell and ship.

If you sell a Casio, you would have to compete against a million other people selling the same thing. For how much you think you can sell it to remain competitive and actually sell it?

If any, the hardest thing of selling the ES100 is that is on higher price range than the casio and yamaha. Is a good and bad thing at the same time. But you get what you pay for.

Conclusion: I would not worry too much about resell value. Is not like Kawai is a new brand.

Decide what model to buy base on piano experience (how much you will enjoy).

Good luck.

Owner of Kawai ES100
M
M
You may be right. But it will depend on what kind of demand there is for the item just as much as on how many other sellers there are of ones similar to yours.

I have a fair amount of experience with selling used computer parts and used mobile phones. I'd much rather be in the position of trying to sell an item from a manufacturer with strong name recognition for the part and a lot of buyers looking for that model, even if there are a lot of other sellers to compete with, than to be trying to sell a rare premium item that far fewer buyers are thinking about, even if I am one of the only sellers offering it. I've found myself in the latter situation a few times and ended up having to sell at a much higher discount than I would have if I had been selling one of the more common models.

I realize that Kawai is already very strongly established with DPs (and obviously acoustics) at the higher price range. Just not sure about what to expect with future demand for their used items in this much lower price range.

C
C
Daniel, I'm a piano beginner and want to buy kawai es100 because of its key action. I'm going to use Pianoteq mostly. I read that you like Pianoteq too. Are there any problem to use es100 as midi controller? Do you have velocity curve for it?

Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission