2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
msy Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi, my son 7 years old is a beginner. We came across a used Piano (Kohler console upright piano). It is offered at $350 + $75 for tuning (probably from the 1980s)
Meanwhile we looked at a brand new electronic piano (Willams Allegro 88 keys) on sale for $199

Considering its for a beginner, can someone suggest this completely inexperienced parent what to go after?

Appreciate your feedbacks.

Meera

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
One thing is for sure. Forget about the Williams. It's junk. He ain't gonna learn anything on it. You're much better off getting a used Casio CDP or PX.

I can't advise on the Kohler.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
I agree with rnaple here as well, get your son a good digital piano rather than a poor upright. Some choices - the CDP series from Casio, the PRIVIA series from Casio and the P/DGX series from Yamaha. Ideal for a beginner, and when your son goes past his early beginner curve, you can upgrade to a good upright/grand as well.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for Music "

- Rachmaninoff
M
M
Meera,

It's sort of a Catch 22... if you provide your son with less than adequate equipment he may get frustrated and quit. On the flip side, you can make a substantial investment and your son will lose interest anyway. However, you can buy some "insurance" for your bet by getting him a DP as they are far easier to sell than an acoustical should that become necessary. Kids love anything electronic that lights up anyways.

A decent DP will not be free but, since the technology in DP's changes so rapidly, you can often find a real bargain in a used one. Try Craig's List or Ebay. Just make sure whatever DP you get has, at the least, weighted keys so you son will get the proper feel from the get go. I started on a DP and still have it for late night practices etc. even though I went to a grand acoustical a while back.

I hope you son sticks with it as kids who study music and learn an insturment do better in all their academic endeavors. Getting him a toy or something similar may kill the spark before it has a chance to take hold.

If you decide to go new there are some retailers who will accept payment over several months via your credit card. I know several parents who took advantage of this deal. One of them is zzsounds. http://www.zzounds.com/ and there are others I'm sure. Try asking for some input on the DP forum.

Forget the upright for $350. Every area has people who take in old piano discards they get for free or almost free and sell them in that price range. You'll likely wind up having to pay someone to haul it away. Be wary of any ad that says "great beginner piano".

M
msy Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you very much for all the advice. Piano RX - the piano is being sold by a family who had 2 kids (now moving out into college) who used the piano. Since the kids are not with them any more, they are moving to a smaller condo and therefore giving away the piano. Its maintained very well.
We are going to get an expert look at that piano..In the meantime, I will also look at the digital used pianos.
Thanks again for the advice..Please add more to this thread, as we haven't finalized yet.

Meera

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission