2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 101 1 2 3 4 5 6 100 101
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Not yet. Lesson is tomorrow evening. I'm hopeful however smile

Keep up the good work; yeah, BIG bottle of wine!

Enjoy your time with DD. We have two grown daughters who both live overseas whom we are very proud of, but miss a lot. Savor the time you have, it goes fast shocked

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by littlebirdblue
So, did you hear those magic words?

DD officially graduated My First PA Book A and started on all 4 primer books. She wanted a strawberry float to celebrate. She was high on sugar all day.

I got inspired and polished up the last few songs of Level 1 book to a recital-ready quality. I'm going to get myself a decent bottle of wine later. laugh

Well I heard them on four pieces tonight. smile

Eight more to go to finish Level 2. Too many pieces on my plate according to my teacher. I think it's time to wind down a bit, stay focused on fewer pieces each week.

One nice thing is it appears some classical music in its original form will start to be integrated in starting next week. I'm excited about that. smile

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
L
L
You have a good teacher. She is holding you to a standard. At the same time, she acknowledged your progress by moving you to original classical pieces. I am starting to feel limited by not having a teacher. I've actually been looking but it's hard to find someone. I think DD's piano teacher is fantastic but 1) she doesn't teach adults and 2) she has a long wait-list. She squeezed DD in but I don't think she'd do the same for me. You're very fortunate to have found your teacher.

I downloaded sample pages from Suzuku Book 1 piano accompaniment for violin and I got so frustrated trying to remember how to play A Major on piano. I really need all the help I can get. My copies of Book 2 should be coming in the mail soon. smile

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I'm thinking that DD's teacher may be able to recommend a colleague who teaches adults and may have space available. I know many of the teachers down here in lower Delaware network and know the teaching situations of others.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tonight my teacher introduced the new Faber Sight Reading Book 2 (Accelerated Adult) into our lesson. My initial impressions were favorable. Folks might want to check it out.

Also will start Faber Piano Adventures Level 3A next week.

Last edited by BrianDX; 08/11/14 08:06 PM.

L
L
Congratulations! You've accomplished something really wonderful. smile

I got my copy of Adult All in One Book 1 and 2 today in the mail.

So I took your advance and asked my DD's teacher is she knows someone who wouldn't mind giving two lessons a month to an adult restarter. To my surprise, she is willing to accommodate me so hopefully, we can set something up by next month.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Excellent! smile

I think the combination of your past experience, work ethic, quality teaching material, and a teacher to guide you through all of it albeit on a part-time basis should be a very nice combination.

Keep us up to date when your lessons start.

A
A
Book 3A of Piano Adventures has some really lovely pieces. I haven't practised
myself in weeks because I am without a teacher, but I need to start tonight again.
I have no idea what my new teacher's approach to my material will be when I start with her in two weeks.

alans #2315031 08/13/14 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by alans
Book 3A of Piano Adventures has some really lovely pieces. I haven't practised
myself in weeks because I am without a teacher, but I need to start tonight again.
I have no idea what my new teacher's approach to my material will be when I start with her in two weeks.

Are you referring to the Popular Repetoire book? i.e. from here:
http://pianoadventures.com/publications/mainLibraries/pa/level3A.html

I was just interested in looking up the table of contents, which they do have online.

Thanks,
Don

Piano: 1905 Heintzman Upright
Time in: 3 years! Wow!
A
A
I was actually referring to the lesson book.

By the way, how long do people take for their weekly lesson? I am used to thirty minutes butvi've been advised 45 is better for a beginner.

alans #2316743 08/17/14 10:33 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by alans
By the way, how long do people take for their weekly lesson? I am used to thirty minutes butvi've been advised 45 is better for a beginner.

Initially our lessons were 45 minutes. Just recently we moved to one hour. Much more time for instruction, sight-reading, etc.

I do 30 minutes. Luckily I'm the last student so often we go over by a few minutes. I keep it to 30 minutes because I'm there with my son and he is waiting while I have my lesson, plus its close to bed time. But I would love to have 45 or 60 minutes. Could get into more details I would expect. 30 minutes is usually just review what was worked on last week with some critique, add some new things for next week, and maybe 5 minutes if we are lucky to talk about any general theory or new topics and times up.

A
A
Just finished my Practise with my beloved Faber. My last piece is battle of Jericho.
I start with a brand new teacher next week and I just hope she doesn't want to throw out this series. I was interviewing teachers online and I asked one candidate who I was really close to deciding to study with and he told me it is better to avoid Faber. I asked him which he prefers over Faber but because I didn't sign up for his lessons he never responded to me.glad I crossed him off the list.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I have discussed this with my teacher as well. It turns out that I'm the only student who currently is beyond Faber Level 2.

The 8-10 students that are more advanced than Level 2 are studying outside of a basic series so to speak. They are learning specific pieces in different genres.

I told her that I prefer the structured "step-by-step" approach with Faber, and at even just Level 3A there are several new concepts and skills (e.g. odd time signatures, triplets, D Major) to be learned.

I think we will be spending about 1/2 of our time on Faber, and the other half on selected classical pieces (in their original form but at my skill level of Elementary D).

I'm thinking this should work well for me.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just checking in with you fellow Faber students if you are still out there in the cyber world...

Yep, still here.

I have not made a lot of progress through All-in-one book2 since my last post. I'm around Coffee Shop Boogie and Kum-ba-yah. So... less than 1/2 way through. But I have been working on a couple of songs outside of the lesson book as well. I find I spend 60% of my time working on songs outside of the book as they are pieces I"m excited about.

I also just got from Amazon the first Faber book of Christmas music, since I thought it might be time to start working on that for December. The book is roughly broken into 3rds
- super easy (mostly melody, no chords)
- C-major chord-based
- F or G-major chord based

Have only tried the super easy ones to start because I am trying to evaluate them to see if I should push them on my 8 y.o. son. I'm trying to get him to do something outside his method book. This is my first foray into getting a "repetoire" style book.

Back to All-in-one, Coffee House Boogie is a pretty neat song. I like the swing. The changes are a bit challenging for me but I'm getting it.

Don

A
A
Funny this thread should reappear just when I was planning on looking for it.i haven't touched the piano in a month and just today I started reading my Faber excercises again. I haven't had a teacher or a lesson in several months but if things work out I will be starting again this week. As I am at the midway point of book three A I thought I would be finished by September but there is no way now. I think I will beon this level until close to the end of this year which is fine. Tonight I am going to start to look at the supplementary books for my level.

alans #2327734 09/15/14 02:34 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nice to hear from you folks. All we need now is littlebirdblue, rpw, and PFred to chime in and everyone will be accounted for. smile

I've spent a month at Level 3A and the pieces are getting a bit harder. However, in typical Faber fashion this new material is presented in a logical, manageable way.

Where things really get a bit hairy is toward the end of this level. I took a quick peek at Level 3B and this is a whole new set of challenges. I'm hoping the Faber approach still holds up at that point.

A
A
Just stick with Faber..I too was really daunted by how difficult things *seem* to
get but the book follows a logic and with a bit of practise and dipping your toes
so to speak in the water-hands apart, that sort of thing..you will find your way.
The current piece that is new to me is I think based on the piece Mars..I can't
remember I have it at home and at first I thought this was insane because the notes are way above the ledger lines and I had no idea how to read that high. But
Faber always provides us with a wonderful parachute and what seems really hard isn't so far from where we just were.
Tomorrow I start with a brand new teacher who I know absolutely nothing about except for the fact that she was very friendly in her email back to me. I have
no idea what she will think about the Faber series. One potential teacher I spoke
with told me I shouldn't be using this series and I'm glad I didn't go with him because I do believe Faber is the best method. So I will see.A little past the
middle point of the book 3A there is this piece, I think it might be by Scarlatti,
where you feel for the first time that you are playing a truely lovely classical
piece. It's great fun. You have lots to look forward to Brian..the pieces are all
lovely in this book. Just take them slowly and you'll be amazed at how far you can go.

A
A
Last night I also started to look at the Performance book for 3A. These aren't easy to sight-read. I also have the technique book and I hope I can incorporate them into my lessons because they look they are really useful. They turn piano technique into fun exercises.

Page 4 of 101 1 2 3 4 5 6 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission