Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
111 registered (anamnesis, AZ_Astro, Achilleas, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1448 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2314891 - 08/13/14 08:38 AM Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods
ChefJumbo Offline

Hi guys,I am a piano/keyboard reviewer from Bangkok, Thailand. Kawai Thailand just sent me the demo unit weeks ago... and guess what, I havn't started reviewing it yet because I have had too much fun "playing" with the piano sounds, the new Rhode patches, the keys and all the features that it's got.

Although the new MP-7 might not be equipped with the "best" or the "most realistic" piano sounds around (I don't know if it's just me, but I think the main piano patch sounds too "perfect" and a little compressed, however, it gets better with reverb, string & damper resonance), the soul-key-sound connection is absolutely unbelievable. For the first time ever I could feel the "soul" in a digital instrument, in other word, it really feels like a musical instrument, not an electronic appliance that is capable of making sounds. The action seamlessly connects with the musicians due to extremely accurate response curve, you can go from the most delicate pianissimos to the thunderous fortissimos with ease. This actually changes your way of playing... How? it makes your playing more expressive, because you know that the instrument is capable of handling all the nuances of your playing, everything that your soul wants to say. This is what I mean by "soul-key connection", now what about the key-sound connection? In one word, superb. Good keyboard and great sounds don't make a great piano. It's the harmonization between the soul, the keys and the sounds that make a great piano. The MP-7 really excels in this department.

In short, Ivory II pianos may sound more realistic, hybrid grand actions may feel more realistic, but for MP-7, the whole is just greater than the sum of its part. Yes I will still be using Ivory II for recordings, but for leisure and pleasure
, the MP-7 wins, hands down!

These are my performances on the MP-7

Concert Grand 1 sound (damper resonance = 7, background strings = "beautiful strings", lead strings = external source and I added some external reverb effects)
http://youtu.be/DaoFU845noE

Mellow Grand 2 (Damper Resonance = 7, Top Board = Open 2).
http://youtu.be/fw7twiW0__8

I hope you enjoy them! Full review is on its way, stay tuned!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2314929 - 08/13/14 10:16 AM Re: Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods [Re: ChefJumbo]
Maxpiano Offline

Loc: Italy
Interesting points, I tried the MP7 in a shop some time ago, I was positively impressed as well but some doubts on the acoustic piano sound (which, as discussed in this forum, probably needs some deep tweaking to fit personal tastes); thanks for sharing your pre-review, waiting for the full one! thumb

Edited by Maxpiano (08/13/14 10:17 AM)

#2314977 - 08/13/14 11:38 AM Re: Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods [Re: ChefJumbo]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
Besides,
as a "reviewer", which speakers/monitors are you using with your MP7?

#2314996 - 08/13/14 12:23 PM Re: Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods [Re: ChefJumbo]
ChefJumbo Offline

Choosing the right speakers/monitors is pretty tricky for the MP7, unlike Roland which sounds consistently warm or Yamaha which sounds consistently bright. The sounds of MP7 are greatly affected by the speakers that it runs through. At The Sound Chef, our references speakers are Yamaha NS-10M, Yamaha MSP-5, Roland DS-90 and, last but not least, the Kawai ES-7!!! (The last one is of course NOT our reference speaker, but since the ES-7 speakers do the fantastic job in reproducing the piano sounds in the ES-7 and the piano itself has a stereo line-in port, why not give it a try? smile )

#2315160 - 08/13/14 08:28 PM Re: Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods [Re: ChefJumbo]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
CheckJumbo, thank you very much for your infos.
/Lo PHi

#2319905 - 08/26/14 01:39 AM Re: Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods [Re: ChefJumbo]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
ChefJumbo, I'm a little late to this thread (okay, almost two weeks late...), but just wanted to thank you for your positive comments about the MP7!

I absolutely agree that the connection between the keyboard and sound is vitally important, yet often overlooked when comparing specification tables and feature charts.

I enjoyed watching and listening to your two performances on the MP7 (well played and shot), and shall look forward to the full review! The ES7 review (pts.1-3) looks great too - I don't understand Thai, unfortunately, but I really like the presentation style, amount of detail, and showing how the instrument sounds in a mix with vocals, etc. Great job!

Regarding the 'connection' felt when playing Ivory II, have you tried controlling this VI using the VPC1 and Synthogy approved touch curve? wink

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2321572 - 08/29/14 02:47 PM Re: Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods [Re: ChefJumbo]
ChefJumbo Offline

Thanks for watching my video reviews! I wish I could do the whole thing in English but since most of my audiences are Thais I unfortunately have to stick with the majority. However, I will be adding subtitles in the very near future! I've recently made a new video explaining how a piano action (grand and upright) works, and how close the GrandFeel resembles the feel of a grand piano as opposed to its digital counterparts from a pure scientific standpoint, .
Check this out! http://youtu.be/y1vJXFHCq1w

Regarding the VPC1, yes, I tried it with the preset Ivory touch curve and it works like magic, no extra efforts required, I could basically forget about everything else and focus on playing. The response is very accurate and consistent all over the range. I remembered using Ivory for the very first time back in 2004, the controller that I used was the MP-9500. Getting the right curve was very tricky, if you program the curve in such a way that would allow you to play ppp with ease then it means you will have to bang the keys real hard to get fff. Now if you try to cheat it by altering the curve at the very end of the spectrum while keeping it intact for the pianissimo range, the whole response becomes weird and inconsistent. This is not the case with the pre-programmed curve. Thanks god the developers at Kawai were thoughtful enough to have included the ivory touch curve preset. I tried playing Ivory II American Concert D with the normal touch curve and it was a real disaster. This means that without the ivory touch curve preset, it would have taken me hours....days... or even forever... just to get the right curve.

I am now familiarizing myself with the touch of the VPC1. Although technically and physically superior in every aspect, I would have to admit that I'm not quite used to it yet. ES-7 has been my main board for the last 3-4 months (hint: it's the board that Kawai Thailand sent to me for review purposes but I ended up wanting it so bad that I didn't want to return it so I asked them to charge me) and the RH2 action has grown on me. For some unknown reasons I feel supercharged when playing the RH2, with RH2, I'm better, faster and more versatile!

This is how it looks like....

#2321714 - 08/29/14 09:24 PM Re: Test Driving the Kawai MP-7 Piano sounds with some mods [Re: ChefJumbo]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Wow, lots of nice boards there! wink

Keep up the good work. I've watched your videos without understanding the language, so adding English subtitles will certainly help!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Saint-Saens 2nd concerto - best edition (fingering)?
by Barly
11/24/14 07:09 AM
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
11/23/14 10:41 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159310 Topics
2340216 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission