2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2315317 08/14/14 05:54 AM
X
Xaynor Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Hi everyone!
Apologies in advance if these types of threads are a nuisance, but I'm curious to know how I'm progressing with the piano (I'm just loving it right now!)

I know this can't really tell much about how I can play but surely something can come out of it. I've had my keyboard for a little under two months and taught myself, without any assistance. The most difficult song I can currently play is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwz_6x2fCYI

That took me around a week and half to learn (I'm still practising on it though so I can play it flawlessly without any mistakes). However, I did cut some notes off the right hand to simplify it a bit, though it still sounds just as good.

Just based off being able to play that piece, how would you say I'm doing? I'm not sure what's classified as difficult but I honestly didn't expect to be able to play that for a while.

Thanks a lot!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
You are doing fine so keep up the good work and enjoy. However it would be impossible to give feedback without listening to your version (with or without mistakes) but even then any feedback would not be useful to you at this stage.

Progress on the piano is not measured by any mastery of one piece and certainly not after two months. Progress is an improvement in a range of skills needed for the piano, from repertoire, sight reading, technique, exercises, etc. I think the more important question is what sort of piano player do you want to be and do you have a plan, or know, how to get there. Once you have answered that you can set some goals and monitor your own progress. But remember it is no use comparing yourself to others or any sort of "normal". This is your own journey and nothing can change that.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Your doing better than me. Do you have to read the music or do you just follow the lines? I'm just curious as I haven't seen lines coming down like that before, it kind of reminds me of Sing Star lol.

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MandyD
Your doing better than me. Do you have to read the music or do you just follow the lines? I'm just curious as I haven't seen lines coming down like that before, it kind of reminds me of Sing Star lol.

MandyD it is a program called Synthesia

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by MandyD

MandyD it is a program called Synthesia

And while it is widely used and a clever little piece of software, I cannot follow it at all... never was very good at guitar hero etc haha laugh

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
X
Xaynor Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks @earl ! You're definitely right smile

@Mandy, like earl said, it's Synthesia. I basically use that to learn pieces as I cannot read sheet music (I plan to learn eventually). I don't technically use the program though anymore, I just look at the notes and play them myself at my own pace over and over in sections until I get the whole piece done. I stopped actually using it because I wasn't really learning just blindly playing notes from the computer screen, and if you weren't playing at the exact pace of the song, the notes would count as a miss and that made me lose concentration, plus it discouraged me.

Not sure if I made sense there but try different methods and see what you learn best with!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission