Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
137 registered (ajames, 36251, accordeur, 43 invisible), 1600 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2315451 - 08/14/14 11:40 AM Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800
Banzai_Ed Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm planning to buy the RD-800, but don't know which monitor is better for it. Recomendations will be very appreciated.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2315477 - 08/14/14 12:45 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
bgiles Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
Hello Banzai Ed
See the following thread...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2307293

#2315484 - 08/14/14 12:56 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Also depends on whether Banzai Ed is going to be using for practice at home, playing for others at home - small concerts say, studio recording or giving concerts & gigging. Or a combination of those.

Small PA for gigging, reference monitors for recording, monitors or hi-fi speakers for general use. You could also use best quality multi-media active speakers for genral use, too.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2315498 - 08/14/14 01:43 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
AT home I use the Behringer MS16.
For small gigs I use KC-350.
For larger gigs I plug into house PA or other band member's PA, and use the KC-350 as a monitor.

#2315508 - 08/14/14 02:13 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Banzai_Ed Offline

Thanks all of you guys for the good input, I'm not a musician but a hobbyist, my wife as well. We play pianos at home for fun, sometimes we invite friend for a party and play music on our very old electronic keyboard, now we have a HP508. So a small concert would be suitable for my settings. We have a Logitech 5.1ch speaker system connected to my computer, but none of us likes it, in terms of sound quality. Maybe our ears are a bit pickey, we do need a better one for small concert.

#2315522 - 08/14/14 02:51 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I'm very happy with Yamaha HS7 - a neat simple active reference speaker. Those with a subwoofer would give you full range sound. They are relatively good value in Europe, it seems to me. Thomann stock them for around 400 a pair, bundled with pole stands.

However, these are maybe not spectacular sounding - they are more for accuracy and showing up 'errors' when recording & mixing music. KRK Rockets are similar, but perhaps better for electronic music. Behringer Truth monitors are also very well regarded and cost less than the KRK or Yamaha HS.

Edited by toddy (08/14/14 02:53 PM)

#2315561 - 08/14/14 05:00 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Banzai_Ed Offline

I need to pay 600USD for a pair of YAMAHA HS7 in US, plus a sub-woofer, a mixer.Which sub-woofer do you guys suggest, and a cheaper mixer?

#2315610 - 08/14/14 08:01 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

You should perhaps look at a range of speakers that would suit your particular case. I can vouch for the Yamahas especially if you're looking for accuracy - the sound from them is very close to my phones which are also an unflattering 'reference' type. However, there are others that may sound better or be more economical where you are (the market changes from country to country, continent to continent, even if all the products are coming from Japan, Indonesia or China in the first place.

Do you need a mixer? Active monitors of the sort we're talking about here can be fed from the keyboard if you wish, and if there is no special need to bring in other instruments or voices on the same system, you can go direct.

#2315892 - 08/15/14 11:11 AM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Based on what I have briefly read, you might want to look at the Yamaha StagePass 400i which I use often with my RD800 and Kawai ES7: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StagePas400i/

I find it extremely easy to use. Great sound for small (few people) to medium/large (100+ people) venues. Mixer on board if needed. Plus other instruments and vocals can plug into it if needed. It's a very good PA with many features for under $700.

#2315903 - 08/15/14 11:47 AM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Banzai_Ed
Thanks all of you guys for the good input, I'm not a musician but a hobbyist, my wife as well. We play pianos at home for fun, sometimes we invite friend for a party and play music on our very old electronic keyboard, now we have a HP508. So a small concert would be suitable for my settings. We have a Logitech 5.1ch speaker system connected to my computer, but none of us likes it, in terms of sound quality. Maybe our ears are a bit pickey, we do need a better one for small concert.

I've tried the Yamaha Stagepas 300 (predecessor to the 400, recommended above). Either of those will do fine in a "small concert" (less than 100 people) setting.

I use an Electrovoice ZXA1 powered PA speaker (just one -- it's what I could afford, and fit into my room). With an 8" woofer, horn-loaded tweeter, and several hundred watts of power, it sounds very nice.

The specs on the HP508:

Quote:
Rated Power Output 60 W x 2
15 W x 2
Volume Level (SPL) 112 dB
* This value was measured according to the method that is based on Roland's technical standard.
Speakers Cabinet Speakers: 16 cm (6-5/16 inches) x 2 (with Speaker Box)
Near-field Speakers: 5 cm (2 inches) x 2
Spatial Speakers: (12 cm (4-3/4 inches) x 8 cm (3-3/16 inches)) x 2

That's pretty good for built-in sound. If you want to improve it (IMHO), you'll need:

. . . larger woofers (probably 8")

. . . more power (100 watts, or more, per channel).

Don't expect major enhancement from small, inexpensive "studio monitor" loudspeakers. Yamaha HS8 (HS8M?), KRK Rokit 8, or one of the PA systems mentioned, _will_ make a difference.

. Charles

PS -- edit -- I was confused -- you were asking about the RD-800, not the HP508. The list of suggestions is the same, for the same reasons.

Edited by Charles Cohen (08/15/14 11:49 AM)

#2315904 - 08/15/14 11:47 AM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: toddy]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: toddy
Well, I'm very happy with Yamaha HS7 - However, these are maybe not spectacular sounding - they are more for accuracy and showing up 'errors' when recording & mixing music.

I may be practicing in a larger room in the near future where my current monitors won't have enough power so I've been thinking about active/passive+amp and other possibilities.

The question of accuracy springs immediately to mind. Maybe there are good reasons to think otherwise but for unaccompanied playing (i.e. not needing to 'cut through' a band etc) and in mind of the lofty ambitions of those working their nuts off to give us 'authentic' sounding sample libraries, wouldn't accuracy be a vital prerequisite?

#2315910 - 08/15/14 11:57 AM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Banzai_Ed
I need to pay 600USD for a pair of YAMAHA HS7 in US, plus a sub-woofer, a mixer.Which sub-woofer do you guys suggest, and a cheaper mixer?

The inexpensive mixer I use is a Behringer Xenyx 802. It should serve most "piano hobbyists".

If you get woofers of 7" or 8", you probably won't need a sub-woofer. Pianos don't have much power at the _fundamental_ frequency in the low bass (down to 27 Hz). As somebody said in the Pianoteq forum recently, you need either:

. . . 5" woofer plus sub-woofer, or

. . . 8" woofer.

. Charles

PS -- if you play lots of organ voices, and you want to shake people's tooth-fillings, then a sub-woofer comes into its own.

#2315954 - 08/15/14 02:36 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
phunqe Offline

I have Yamaha HS8 and I'm extremely satisfied. You don't need a subwoofer with these, unless you want to tear a wall down or have a large area you need to fill with bass.

#2315963 - 08/15/14 03:00 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Emiliano Offline

Loc: London, UK
would the Yamaha Stagepas be a good sub for studio monitors like, let's say the KRK Rockit or Presonus Eeris, or you guys think stage monitors have a more refined and detailed sound?

#2315968 - 08/15/14 03:09 PM Re: Recomendation needed to buy a good monitor for RD-800 [Re: Emiliano]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Emiliano
would the Yamaha Stagepas be a good sub for studio monitors like, let's say the KRK Rockit or Presonus Eeris, or you guys think stage monitors have a more refined and detailed sound?

I use both for different uses. Simply put, my studio monitors (Presonus Eris5 & T10) are for home and used just for my listening as studio monitors are detailed and very directional. I find monitors excellent for practice as they are not forgiving and point out my sloppiness. When just right they sound is amazing. The StagePas400i is meant for multiple listeners and the sound is wide and dynamic which is ideal for entertaining.

If I had to choose just one it would be the StagePas400i just for its flexibility alone. It would be fine for home - just a bit overkill perhaps for my small space.

Edited by Marko in Boston (08/15/14 04:17 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
12/19/14 11:24 AM
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159984 Topics
2349392 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission