Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2315478 - 08/14/14 12:47 PM How do you go about starting a new piece?
Sean P Offline

Loc: Ireland!
Out of curiosity on how other people here go about starting, and learning a new piece. smile
I myself just read through the sheet music a million times with a fairly "bland" recording (I use that term for what of a better one smile ), then sit down and take it in small chunks and try interpret it myself. If it's a long or hard piece, I take the most challenging sections first.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2315489 - 08/14/14 01:17 PM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
If it's a piece I've not heard before (most unlikely, because I usually play only what I like, and what I like is based on past listening experiences) or whether it's one I know well from being familiar with it, I start by simply reading through it.

Immediately I find the most difficult sections and start working on those at a very slow tempo, as slow as it has to be for me to play all the notes in tempo. Sometimes complex sections require hands separate practice but, for the most part, I always practice hands together.

I tend not to listen to recordings while I'm learning a work (some discussion about this in a previous thread), because I like to "discover" the work for myself, seeing, through very close reading, all that I can glean from the printed page. I also read through the score away from the piano; it's often easier to pick up details when one does not have to concentrate on producing sounds while reading.

From that point, when I get the notes under my fingers, but before the piece reaches performance level, I divide it into logical sections and practice sections separately. I make sure that I don't always practice the sections in the same order which is a good argument for not starting each practice session of the piece at the beginning. Doing that, one tends to have the first section well-learned while, often, but not always, the later sections are under much less control. I've so often heard students say something to the effect that they know the first x-number of pages, but they can't play the end - yet! Some fairly advanced students often have the beginning of a piece more secure than the ending because they start their practice sessions from the beginning!

From there, it's a matter of time, patience, attention to detail and perseverance until the work is up to performance level. At that point, I may listen to a few recordings by well-known artists I trust to hear if any interpretive ideas that I may have missed or not thought of appeal to me. Memorization is not necessarily a part of the learning plan, although if memory comes easily as I work on it, I may make an effort to memorize.

The final stage is preparing the work for some kind of semi-public performance in music groups that I belong to.

I just started a new work this morning, and it will pretty well follow the above "plan."

Regards,

#2315571 - 08/14/14 05:33 PM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

something like this

1. find sheet music, maybe multiple versions (some versions have bad layout, useless fingerings, errors etc).

2. listen to recordings

3. analyze, determine phrasing, voicing, melody, accents,

4. play parts hands separate and determine fingerings, using (3) as guide, and checking that fingering works at target speed (if I can reach that hands separate)

5. try to slowly play hands together. Try to bring up to speed hands together. I use many tricks here, like working backwards, changing rythms etc.

Step 5 is not working fine with me, it takes way too much time. There may be something wrong with my approach, I think step 5 should go smoother.

I'm doing this approach on segments, not on the entire piece at once. I'm not working start to end, I may start on the hard page 4, then start on page 1 for instance. Also, I sometimes can't make a good analysis and then I start playing the section anyway, makig the analysis based on what sounds good or when I get an idea about it later. Also when playing I may realize that the analysis does not work, I hear it different, or I think another analysis works better. I may then have to change things; but I try to keep fingerings unchanged unless it really does not work.

#2315753 - 08/15/14 02:02 AM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

1. Listen to a lot of different recordings, usually while looking at sheet music unless I "know" the piece pretty well. Preliminary analysis of the music happens here, and I know mostly what I'm going to do musically by this point.

2. Play through a lot of times until the notes are in memory. I use both hands whenever I can, and I play through the entire thing if I can. I also go as fast as I can: I strongly prefer having everything memorized as quickly as possible. If the memorization is very slow though, I'll be working on any difficult passages instead of playing through.

3. Work through technical kinks, polish things up.

Edited by trigalg693 (08/15/14 02:05 AM)

#2315756 - 08/15/14 02:18 AM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
For an ensemble piece:
[1] Read it. Play it (at tempo if that's possible, under if it's not).
[2] Identify the tough bits which are going to need special attention.
[3] I probably only listen to a recording if I'm wondering "how insanely fast are people likely to play this?"
[4] Decide whether to take the gig or not. smile
[5] Make sure I have a decent legible score.

For a solo piece:
[1], [2] and [5].

Then it's a matter of time, and patient work. Little and often seems to work best for me.

#2315810 - 08/15/14 06:03 AM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
mc9320 Offline

Loc: London, UK
If I'm learning a piece I always listen to it first. Then I play from the sheet music, just the melody in the right hand. If it's a long piece I'll only do this for one section. Then I add the left and right hand together playing it slowly.

If I'm sight reading (which is a struggle for me as I play better by ear), I scan the music for the difficult passages and practice those first.

#2316108 - 08/16/14 12:36 AM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
RubberFingers Offline

Often I learn a piece from back to front. Start with the last two measures. Once they are solid, add the previous two measures. This gets me out of the habit of playing from beginning to end without really practicing the material. And often pieces have a repetitive nature that's pretty easy to learn, until the composer throws a curve ball at you. So learn the curve ball first.

I like the fact that the further into a piece I go, the better I know it.

#2316157 - 08/16/14 06:45 AM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I just sit down and start to read through it as best I can. From that beginning, I just follow my intuition about what to do next - it could be almost anything, depending on the piece and what I want from it.

Most of the time, I am not under any pressure to get a piece into presentable condition within any time frame (unless it's for an e-cital here), and so I can enjoy the luxury of simply working on a piece for the sake of working on it.

#2316233 - 08/16/14 12:17 PM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
Fiona0424 Offline

1. Read.
2. Practice.
3. Play.
4. The End.

"If music be food of love, play on!"
P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
And when he behaves, Rachmaninoff is my darling! ;p

#2317074 - 08/18/14 07:46 PM Re: How do you go about starting a new piece? [Re: Sean P]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Reading all the answers provided here... I have to say that I usually do exactly what currawong does apart from [4] because I don't like to perform in public.

Music is my best friend.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
temperament setting in Casio PX-850
by Doritos Flavoured
22 minutes 29 seconds ago
VI Labs True Keys: From ilok to Hard Drive Activation
by imyself
Today at 10:46 AM
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
Today at 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
Today at 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
Today at 05:35 AM
Who's Online
137 registered (ajames, 3times2, Almaviva, 36251, 37 invisible), 1468 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157603 Topics
2314996 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission