2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Thanks everyone for the comments and help with the quiz.

Mark, one comment I have is the apparent assumption that all FBIs are wide. This is true of major FBIs. But minor FBIs, though not as popular in tuning, are narrow and therefore can give the wrong answers to some of your questions.

I tried to write the questions with no implications at all. Which questions would those be?

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Gadzar
I tried to solve the quiz, but I quited. I've answered only 6 questions.

If I was your student I would also quit your lessons! I'm being honest. It's boring and tedious and tricky and mislideaing.

Pure intervals are pure.
Wide intervals are wide.
Narrow intervals are narrow.

In ET Major are wide, minor are narrow, fifths are narrow, fourths are wide, and octaves are pure, narrow or wide depending on the stretch at that point of the scale.

Compound intervals keep the character of the base interval.

In other temperaments there are no rules. Fifths can be wide, fourths can be narrow, thirds can be pure, etc. There are no rules.

So an interval is what it happens to be. If the coincident partial of the lower note is higher than the partial of the upper note the interval is narrow. If not the interval is wide. If they are equal then the interval is pure.

It's that simple.

The moves you make with your fingers as you say wa,wa,wa,wa are by far the better way to teach it.

parallel=pure
open=wide
closed=narrow

Once one understands that, it is only a matter of practice tuning and practice, and practice...

I am sorry you had so much trouble with the quiz. Just go slow and remember to think logically. Don't give up. You'll get the hang of it. When refining temperaments, whether ET or UT, a tuner must know this stuff hands down.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I know very well wide and narrow intervals. I have no problem with that.

You do not understand what I am saying.

I do not want to answer the quiz. I find it useless and boring. You make a big problem from a small one.

H
H
Originally Posted by Gadzar
I know very well wide and narrow intervals. I have no problem with that.

You do not understand what I am saying.

I do not want to answer the quiz. I find it useless and boring. You make a big problem from a small one.

thumb

Same here, too many questions.
Instead of learning more, one becomes more confused.

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you for your comments. Practice, practice, practice is very important but students need to understand this stuff.

Also, if you think you will ever teach this stuff, you need to understand it way more than your students.

Come on! It's not that difficult!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I know all this stuff and it comes without thought having had years of experience Mark. However, I too agree that if I were a student I would find it more a hindrance than help in attempting to digest the lengths which you appear to go to explain things. Personally, I would find it more useful if there was much more doing rather than so much talking. I sometimes wonder whether you are shooting yourself in the foot by being so passionate and wanting to go to the enth degree in your explainations .... it's not as if prospective students are wanting to complete a Masters degree in the finer principles of piano tuning, and perhaps your approach at present, may be distancing them from deciding to enrol on your courses. Best wishes.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Johnkie
Personally, I would find it more useful if there was much more doing rather than so much talking. I sometimes wonder whether you are shooting yourself in the foot by being so passionate and wanting to go to the enth degree in your explainations ....

What is worse that, all the lengthy talking can be expressed just in two sentences if not one sentence.

Gadzar put it in a rather blatant way but he was right.

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
I know all this stuff and it comes without thought having had years of experience Mark. However, I too agree that if I were a student I would find it more a hindrance than help in attempting to digest the lengths which you appear to go to explain things. Personally, I would find it more useful if there was much more doing rather than so much talking. I sometimes wonder whether you are shooting yourself in the foot by being so passionate and wanting to go to the enth degree in your explainations .... it's not as if prospective students are wanting to complete a Masters degree in the finer principles of piano tuning, and perhaps your approach at present, may be distancing them from deciding to enrol on your courses. Best wishes.

Johnkie, thank you for that thoughtful post. It shows you are truly a caring person. I am always thinking of these things and ready to change my approach at any time given the proper confirmation. I will keep it in mind.

I used to teach a more "light" approach, with no more or less result. This new approach promises the possibility of helping a student achieve a much higher level than the previous one. But, as you say, and I always say upfront before any student takes this course, it is not easy.

This "hinderance" you speak of, I do not deny, but I call a learning curve. This method is high level, and as a result, has a steep learning curve.

As for deterring students from this method, that is the idea. I do not want to give students the wrong impression; that this is an easy way to learn how to tune a piano. It is not.

Later, I hope to have more "entry level" course that don't promise as high a result, but will be more accessible. Right now, I'm trying to iron out the system for this method before working on developing the other methods.

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Hakki
Personally, I would find it more useful if there was much more doing rather than so much talking. I sometimes wonder whether you are shooting yourself in the foot by being so passionate and wanting to go to the enth degree in your explainations ....

What is worse that, all the lengthy talking can be expressed just in two sentences if not one sentence.

Gadzar put it in a rather blatant way but he was right.

Hakki, why do you care about this? Is it because you got put down in that other thread. I had nothing to do with that.

As for all the lengthy talking and no doing, I've been teaching online full-time this week.

Please let me know what kind of "doing" you guys would like. I'm all ears.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 08/21/14 12:52 PM.
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT

Hakki, why do you care about this? Is it because you got put down in that other thread. I had nothing to do with that.

What other thread?

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I find myself in general agreement with Johnkie.

I too applaud the effort, but find the approach too "wordy." Remember, you are attempting to describe an aural event with words...why?!? Maybe words are making the learning process happen slower...until the translation is learned by the observer. Consider using a different sensorial representation (e.g., symbols, shapes, colours, pictures, etc.) that correlate with the SAME mental process happening at the piano.

You seem to be FORCING a word connection, when in reality, the "words" aren't really all that important: we need to make a connection to the sonic event in as many ways as possible--if we are seeking to understand everything that is happening.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by A443
I find myself in general agreement with Johnkie.

I too applaud the effort, but find the approach too "wordy." Remember, you are attempting to describe an aural event with words...why?!? Maybe words are making the learning process happen slower...until the translation is learned by the observer. Consider using a different sensorial representation (e.g., symbols, shapes, colours, pictures, etc.) that correlate with the SAME mental process happening at the piano.

You seem to be FORCING a word connection, when in reality, the "words" aren't really all that important: we need to make a connection to the sonic event in as many ways as possible--if we are seeking to understand everything that is happening.

Teaching voice requires the use of words to describe the feeling and sound that comes from a particular placement of the larynx and tongue and overall shape of the resonant cavity. It is not possible to simply say "Place your arytenoid cartilage 1.37cm above its resting position in order to facilitate the action of the vocal folds." The student can't see her own instrument and must rely on descriptive words to help make the connection between the action and the resultant sound.

All I see on this forum is words used to describe the character of the sonic events. We learn by doing, but we are guided by words.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Prout, I disagree: I don't think the typically vocalist is taught by words.

They are taught by evoking specific situations/scenarios/feelings/experiences--usually done through words, but could also skilfully be achieved in a more artful manner.

We are communicating in a limited medium (i.e., text = words), that, however, does not apply to Mark Cerisano, RPT and what could be done in his online tests. He should, for example, at least have some questions in the form of audio clips.

[Short Audio Example]
Q: What happens to the quality of the interval if the bottom note is raised slightly?

My point is--that is the skill that you are really testing for, right? The perception is done aurally...not done through visualisations using words.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
....that is why I felt the text "wordy" for an exercise that should probably be aural in perception and audiation.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
....that is why I felt the text "wordy" for an exercise that should probably be aural in perception and audiation.

The quiz is simple enough for a deaf person to get a full score.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
...indeed! Thank you Hakki, for summarising my point.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Hakki

The quiz is simple enough for a deaf person to get a full score.

Yes, extremely well put. I guess it's more to do with intelligence and being able to solve, rather than any musical ability and being able to perceive pitch relationship. wink

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
To be honest, I did not watch until the end, too "wordy" as others have said. And I already know how to tune, so I am not your market.

But a more concise version could be helpful to beginners and I appreciate your efforts. Had you done that I would of watched till the end and given you kudos.

You also often seem as if your are on this site to promote yourself. That does not bother me and the moderators do a good job of keeping you in line.

So.... all the best.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
...I think we were talking about the "wordiness" of the exam/exercise/drill, but the videos--they are a nice record of the interaction--but they are not really teaching videos. At the very least, they should be trimmed-up and edited down for viewer consumption.

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Sorry Hakki, I was confused. It was this thread where Kees called you a troll and then you created another thread to put down people who are attempting to create a market for online learning of piano tuning.

As for the other comment, yes, this is all true. I so much agree. The wordy content is supposed to be only a small part. The proprofs website does not offer media in their free accounts but I'll look into it. I was thinking of using youtube and linking the wordy quiz to a video.

I am also working on a cool set of webpages that are linked together. You have to decide whether a note needs to be raised or lowered and then click that link. The link brings you to another audio sample where the note has been tweaked in the direction you chose and you can tweak it again. When you're happy you click score and the last web page tells you how close you got. Obviously will take a while.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission