2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I'm planning to buy the RD-800, but don't know which monitor is better for it. Recomendations will be very appreciated.

Roland HP508 | RD-800 | CM-110 | UA-55 | RH-A30 | RH-A7
PianoTeq 5 | Kontakt Player
Yamaha HS7/HS8S
B
B

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Also depends on whether Banzai Ed is going to be using for practice at home, playing for others at home - small concerts say, studio recording or giving concerts & gigging. Or a combination of those.

Small PA for gigging, reference monitors for recording, monitors or hi-fi speakers for general use. You could also use best quality multi-media active speakers for genral use, too.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
AT home I use the Behringer MS16.
For small gigs I use KC-350.
For larger gigs I plug into house PA or other band member's PA, and use the KC-350 as a monitor.

OP Offline
Thanks all of you guys for the good input, I'm not a musician but a hobbyist, my wife as well. We play pianos at home for fun, sometimes we invite friend for a party and play music on our very old electronic keyboard, now we have a HP508. So a small concert would be suitable for my settings. We have a Logitech 5.1ch speaker system connected to my computer, but none of us likes it, in terms of sound quality. Maybe our ears are a bit pickey, we do need a better one for small concert.

Yamaha HS7/HS8S
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, I'm very happy with Yamaha HS7 - a neat simple active reference speaker. Those with a subwoofer would give you full range sound. They are relatively good value in Europe, it seems to me. Thomann stock them for around €400 a pair, bundled with pole stands.

However, these are maybe not spectacular sounding - they are more for accuracy and showing up 'errors' when recording & mixing music. KRK Rockets are similar, but perhaps better for electronic music. Behringer Truth monitors are also very well regarded and cost less than the KRK or Yamaha HS.

Last edited by toddy; 08/14/14 02:53 PM.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

OP Offline
I need to pay 600USD for a pair of YAMAHA HS7 in US, plus a sub-woofer, a mixer.Which sub-woofer do you guys suggest, and a cheaper mixer?

Yamaha HS7/HS8S
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You should perhaps look at a range of speakers that would suit your particular case. I can vouch for the Yamahas especially if you're looking for accuracy - the sound from them is very close to my phones which are also an unflattering 'reference' type. However, there are others that may sound better or be more economical where you are (the market changes from country to country, continent to continent, even if all the products are coming from Japan, Indonesia or China in the first place.

Do you need a mixer? Active monitors of the sort we're talking about here can be fed from the keyboard if you wish, and if there is no special need to bring in other instruments or voices on the same system, you can go direct.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Based on what I have briefly read, you might want to look at the Yamaha StagePass 400i which I use often with my RD800 and Kawai ES7: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StagePas400i/

I find it extremely easy to use. Great sound for small (few people) to medium/large (100+ people) venues. Mixer on board if needed. Plus other instruments and vocals can plug into it if needed. It's a very good PA with many features for under $700.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Banzai_Ed
Thanks all of you guys for the good input, I'm not a musician but a hobbyist, my wife as well. We play pianos at home for fun, sometimes we invite friend for a party and play music on our very old electronic keyboard, now we have a HP508. So a small concert would be suitable for my settings. We have a Logitech 5.1ch speaker system connected to my computer, but none of us likes it, in terms of sound quality. Maybe our ears are a bit pickey, we do need a better one for small concert.

I've tried the Yamaha Stagepas 300 (predecessor to the 400, recommended above). Either of those will do fine in a "small concert" (less than 100 people) setting.

I use an Electrovoice ZXA1 powered PA speaker (just one -- it's what I could afford, and fit into my room). With an 8" woofer, horn-loaded tweeter, and several hundred watts of power, it sounds very nice.

The specs on the HP508:

Rated Power Output 60 W x 2
15 W x 2
Volume Level (SPL) 112 dB
* This value was measured according to the method that is based on Roland's technical standard.
Speakers Cabinet Speakers: 16 cm (6-5/16 inches) x 2 (with Speaker Box)
Near-field Speakers: 5 cm (2 inches) x 2
Spatial Speakers: (12 cm (4-3/4 inches) x 8 cm (3-3/16 inches)) x 2

That's pretty good for built-in sound. If you want to improve it (IMHO), you'll need:

. . . larger woofers (probably 8")

. . . more power (100 watts, or more, per channel).

Don't expect major enhancement from small, inexpensive "studio monitor" loudspeakers. Yamaha HS8 (HS8M?), KRK Rokit 8, or one of the PA systems mentioned, _will_ make a difference.

. Charles

PS -- edit -- I was confused -- you were asking about the RD-800, not the HP508. The list of suggestions is the same, for the same reasons.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 08/15/14 11:49 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by toddy
Well, I'm very happy with Yamaha HS7 - However, these are maybe not spectacular sounding - they are more for accuracy and showing up 'errors' when recording & mixing music.

I may be practicing in a larger room in the near future where my current monitors won't have enough power so I've been thinking about active/passive+amp and other possibilities.

The question of accuracy springs immediately to mind. Maybe there are good reasons to think otherwise but for unaccompanied playing (i.e. not needing to 'cut through' a band etc) and in mind of the lofty ambitions of those working their nuts off to give us 'authentic' sounding sample libraries, wouldn't accuracy be a vital prerequisite?

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Banzai_Ed
I need to pay 600USD for a pair of YAMAHA HS7 in US, plus a sub-woofer, a mixer.Which sub-woofer do you guys suggest, and a cheaper mixer?

The inexpensive mixer I use is a Behringer Xenyx 802. It should serve most "piano hobbyists".

If you get woofers of 7" or 8", you probably won't need a sub-woofer. Pianos don't have much power at the _fundamental_ frequency in the low bass (down to 27 Hz). As somebody said in the Pianoteq forum recently, you need either:

. . . 5" woofer plus sub-woofer, or

. . . 8" woofer.

. Charles

PS -- if you play lots of organ voices, and you want to shake people's tooth-fillings, then a sub-woofer comes into its own.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
P
I have Yamaha HS8 and I'm extremely satisfied. You don't need a subwoofer with these, unless you want to tear a wall down or have a large area you need to fill with bass.

E
E
would the Yamaha Stagepas be a good sub for studio monitors like, let's say the KRK Rockit or Presonus Eeris, or you guys think stage monitors have a more refined and detailed sound?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Emiliano
would the Yamaha Stagepas be a good sub for studio monitors like, let's say the KRK Rockit or Presonus Eeris, or you guys think stage monitors have a more refined and detailed sound?

I use both for different uses. Simply put, my studio monitors (Presonus Eris5 & T10) are for home and used just for my listening as studio monitors are detailed and very directional. I find monitors excellent for practice as they are not forgiving and point out my sloppiness. When just right they sound is amazing. The StagePas400i is meant for multiple listeners and the sound is wide and dynamic which is ideal for entertaining.

If I had to choose just one it would be the StagePas400i just for its flexibility alone. It would be fine for home - just a bit overkill perhaps for my small space.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 08/15/14 04:17 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission