2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've had two teacher experiences in my life.

The first, 25 years ago, was with a teacher with young children who taught in her house. Although she taught in her living room at a Yamaha grand, occasionally one of her kids would wander in. Also, her husband was always very cool with me. I was the only adult male student that she taught; you go figure it out. Still, it was not an unpleasant experience.

The second (present time) teaches in her home in the common living/family room at a fully-restored 1973 Yamaha C3. Kids are grown, husband is retired. Her teaching studio couldn't be a more beneficial learning environment.

So I think it depends how the home teaching environment is set up.

BTW: Down here in lower Delaware learning at a music store is akin to a piano learning factory. Totally unacceptable to me and my wife. Perhaps a real piano academy would be a different experience. None to be had down here that I know of...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Could you sublet your studio space, or part of it, to someone for the days/hours when you're not teaching? Not necessarily a music teacher.

Counselors and social workers often have most of their appointments in the evening after dinner. Or there might be someone, or an organization, that would like the space on Sundays. Obviously it would need to be an activity that wouldn't cause people to be bumping into your piano(s).

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Why not just carry on for another year in your outside studio - the place you love - and just keep your ears open about finding another partner? As long as your present partner pays her share and just shows up once a week, seems to me you should consider yourself lucky.

If she can't get to cleaning and bill paying as you'd like, well, just do these things yourself. As long as she is good for the money and not in your hair, things sound pretty good.
You basically have the place to yourself, with someone else paying half.

If you find another teacher to join you (replacing your present partner), have her rent space from you, and you retain full control. No more partnerships. It would be like someone renting a chair in a hair salon.

Peter, those are great suggestions, especially the last one!

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
I am going to stick it out this last year, and continue to look for sublease people. I didn't think of doing non music teachers, but why not? I'm just trying to think of other ideas that I could get rolling so I can "phase out" the studio space. Of course, I've been doing the bills, billing and cleaning, as well as accompany the recitals, so its nothing new to continue.

One word of advice to teachers or anyone else out there tempted into partnerships: don't do it, no matter how nice it seems.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Two thoughts,
first, please keep teaching. Your answers on this website show great insight into the teaching process. We need teachers like that!

Second, would it be possible to hire a cleaning service for once a week and simplify the billing process? Collect fees at the start of the month for the coming month. Don't send out bills. Save trees!

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Consider switching your husband's office with your piano area.

Also, consider putting a partial wall in next to the current piano studio.

Last edited by Candywoman; 08/19/14 01:03 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
ITA with renting out the space - makers spaces are becoming very popular - why not for the music industry or professional? If you could just find a couple of other professionals you could even do a m/t, m/w/f and see about getting 2 more people. I'm leaning towards wait and see over the next 6 months if you can get her space used. Maybe talk with a designer and see if they have ideas on how to change your home so you have more privacy. The initial cost might not be worth it, but over time it might be an advantage.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks everyone, you've given me lots to think about. Most likely the solution will be a combination of teaching from my home and at another school/studio where I can tap into a different market. I'll have to talk it over with hubby to see what kind of solutions we can come up with. If I teach one or two days a week from home, it's not as big of a deal as every day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Apologies if someone already shared similar idea with you.

Share the studio with a few other music teachers. My friend rents a house with 4 other teachers. Violin cello voice you name it. There are a lot of teachers need a room to teach a few times in a week but not every day. In this way everyone will have a room they can use and the rent will be very reasonable. My teacher entered into the partnership with other teachers when she was living with noise sensitive boy friend. Now she does not need a teaching space any more since she lives alone but decided to continue paying for it since it is close to the university and attracts music minded college students.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BrianDX

BTW: Down here in lower Delaware learning at a music store is akin to a piano learning factory. Totally unacceptable to me and my wife. Perhaps a real piano academy would be a different experience. None to be had down here that I know of...

The Delaware School of Music has a branch in Milford.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'd be thrilled to take lessons on that Petrof! A few distractions wouldn't be a problem for this student! If teaching at home works for you and for your husband, I think you could find students.

In my current situation, the piano is barely adequate, the setting is passable (studio space above a music store), and the teacher is excellent. It works for me!

Learner
G
G
Should you decide to teach at home: Invest in a few good-quality folding or rolling screens, footed so not easily toppled by cats. They'd provide some privacy, sound deadening, and illusion of privacy. (The illusion is the important part.) For a couple days a week, it's an easier and cheaper solution to changing rooms or building walls. Could be used to hide kitchen mess if needed at other times!

Screens can be bought decorated or not. You can always cover them with fabric--even change the fabric at different times of year.

The room and the piano are lovely!

[Linked Image]

Hailun HG 178, Charles Walter 1500, Kawai CA63
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I don't think I would mind taking lessons at my teacher's home at all. One can learn a lot about a person just by seeing where they live. But then, that's probably part of why you prefer *not* to teach from home smile.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by gingko2
Should you decide to teach at home: Invest in a few good-quality folding or rolling screens, footed so not easily toppled by cats. They'd provide some privacy, sound deadening, and illusion of privacy. (The illusion is the important part.)
Now that is a Good Idea.

Du holde Kunst...
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm seriously allergic to cats. Yet, I would be able to come into your home for a lesson and be fine, so long as I didn't touch one of your cats. I imagine that this would be the case for most people who are allergic.

I am also one here who thinks you are a wonderful teacher. So, don't stop!!! There has got to be a solution and place for you to teach!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
M
My teacher does so in the original living room of a rancher to which they added a family room. Often her husband can be seen in the family room or wanders through, but it isn't a problem; in a way it adds intimacy. It's a personal relationship. If he doesn't mind listening to me, I don't mind seeing him!

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, everyone, for the reassurances! Hopefully I will be able to make a plan for what I'm going to do, but I definitely want to keep teaching. I don't ever see myself retiring from it smile .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My mother is still teaching at age 87. In So Calif she taught from home, and I'm sure I interrupted occasionally. (Just read Brubeck's biography: his mother taught at home, likely interrupted by Dave, two brothers, and lowing cattle). South of Phoenix, the gated community restricts Mom's teaching, and she has recitals at home (on her newly-rebuilt Steinway), but still mostly drives to students' homes. Can't recall anyone complaining we were unprofessional! My teacher taught from a large old home in South Pasadena, on a well-kept new 7-foot Baldwin in front of a picture window. There was a tubby old Steinway grand end-to-end also at the front of the living room (so it must have been more than 20 feet wide, and longer than that, say 30+ feet). He also taught, as I recall, in a run-down but elegant large, high-ceiling room with Japanese screens and rococo moldings and huge windows, overlooking Estes Park in Los Angeles, where we could see paddle-boats and palm trees. The room had an old Steinway grand, even tubbier than grand #2 in his home studio. Of the two locations, despite the idyllic view, I preferred home because of the piano. The one over the park was adequate, but I could never play my best.

I don't recall any interruptions, but I'm not sure I would have noticed. My teacher's kitchen was separated by a large entry foyer and a dining room. My mother made do with a pocket door separating kitchen from living room. I'm sure my teacher had cats (we have four: how do the allergic survive?) and/or dogs. My mother was incensed once when our teacher had "sprung" his back, and he conducted the remainder of her lesson while he was lying on his back on the Persian rug, with his wife applying some kind of back massage.

In college the teachers were unmemorable, but I do remember crummy pianos and cause for claustrophobia.

As for cleaning, my wife said it best: "I need a wife."

The piano trumps everything...but that's just me. Viva Petrof! (Can you deduct tuning?)

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
B
B
Originally Posted by dynamobt
I'm seriously allergic to cats. Yet, I would be able to come into your home for a lesson and be fine, so long as I didn't touch one of your cats. I imagine that this would be the case for most people who are allergic.

Depends on the degree of allergy. Cats lick their fur which then gets deposited on all they touch or rub against, especially furnishings and furniture. The allergen is in their saliva.

I have a friend who considers himself only 'mildly allergic' to cats, but as soon as he walks into a house which has cats (or even has had cats) he starts sneezing and his eyes become red & watery.

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by doctor S
My mother is still teaching at age 87. In So Calif she taught from home, and I'm sure I interrupted occasionally. (Just read Brubeck's biography: his mother taught at home, likely interrupted by Dave, two brothers, and lowing cattle). South of Phoenix, the gated community restricts Mom's teaching, and she has recitals at home (on her newly-rebuilt Steinway), but still mostly drives to students' homes. Can't recall anyone complaining we were unprofessional! My teacher taught from a large old home in South Pasadena, on a well-kept new 7-foot Baldwin in front of a picture window. There was a tubby old Steinway grand end-to-end also at the front of the living room (so it must have been more than 20 feet wide, and longer than that, say 30+ feet). He also taught, as I recall, in a run-down but elegant large, high-ceiling room with Japanese screens and rococo moldings and huge windows, overlooking Estes Park in Los Angeles, where we could see paddle-boats and palm trees. The room had an old Steinway grand, even tubbier than grand #2 in his home studio. Of the two locations, despite the idyllic view, I preferred home because of the piano. The one over the park was adequate, but I could never play my best.

I don't recall any interruptions, but I'm not sure I would have noticed. My teacher's kitchen was separated by a large entry foyer and a dining room. My mother made do with a pocket door separating kitchen from living room. I'm sure my teacher had cats (we have four: how do the allergic survive?) and/or dogs. My mother was incensed once when our teacher had "sprung" his back, and he conducted the remainder of her lesson while he was lying on his back on the Persian rug, with his wife applying some kind of back massage.

In college the teachers were unmemorable, but I do remember crummy pianos and cause for claustrophobia.

As for cleaning, my wife said it best: "I need a wife."

The piano trumps everything...but that's just me. Viva Petrof! (Can you deduct tuning?)
Some great stories! Sounds like many fond memories and that's important. I guess those that come to lessons in a home expect things that happen when you live somewhere that are normal. Although the back massage sounds a bit odd, but funny! smile

I do deduct expenses for tuning and maintenance on the Petrof already, as well as the space where my piano and office are for business expenses.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission