Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2317358 - Yesterday at 02:47 PM Kawai pianos - overloading headphones?
*windowlicker* Offline

Loc: Oxfordshire
I've just spent the last couple of ours in my local shop trying out the kawai es7 using my trusty headphones AT-m50s

I found that with the kawai range (was able to test es7/cn34/es100) when played at maximum force that it sounds like the headphones are almost being 'overloaded' (not sure what the correct term is), almost a crackling/tinny sound as if i was using really cheap bad headphones at a very loud volume where they just couldn't resolve the sound.

This is especially noticeable on the D above middle C and when lots of notes are playing all at once at maximum force...

Obviously my first thought was, my headphones are bad however I found this problem was:

- Audible on the internal speakers, albeit only at a much louder volume (and had no problems with the yamaha p255)

- Audible at lower volumes on my headphones (although to a lesser extent)

- Still audible on a different pair of headphones the piano shop had (these were very bad quality so difficult to conclude anything)

Just wanted to know if any kawai owners had noticed something similar? Is there anyway to eliminate it as I just love the action and piano sounds of the es7 (far better than the p255 imo) however I could see this potentially annoying me in the long term, especially as I plan to use headphones nearly all of the time!

Of course you could argue that you shouldn't be hammering away anyway, however the other brands (yamaha and roland) don't seem to have this issue and this might be just how the kawai acoustics sound? I've Never tried one!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2317360 - Yesterday at 02:51 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: *windowlicker*]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It could be that the sensitivity was set too high on the DPs you tried. Did you try adjusting that to a heavier setting? That might just do the trick. I have not experienced that on my MP11, and I'm using cheap headphones.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2317363 - Yesterday at 02:59 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: *windowlicker*]
*windowlicker* Offline

Thanks for the suggestion, yep I did have a flick through the settings however I admit I didn't spend long on the touch sensitivity settings. From what I do remember, it didn't completely eliminate the issue

I also did a factory reset on the es7 incase there was an errant setting affecting it.

Next time I go back, I plan to be armed with a range of different headphones and I'll definitely try the touch sensitivity settings more comprehensively

#2317379 - Yesterday at 04:04 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: Morodiene]
Savante Offline

Loc: deep in the woods
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
It could be that the sensitivity was set too high on the DPs you tried. Did you try adjusting that to a heavier setting? That might just do the trick. I have not experienced that on my MP11, and I'm using cheap headphones.

I don't experience a problem with my MP11 through headphones either. I use Sony MPR-7506, which are fairly inexpensive but a well-known and popular studio headphone. The MP11 sounds great through them. However, I do have to keep the audio output volume of the MP11 set quite low. (The internal volume setting for the setup is at maximum.) This is especially the case with the new OS which has a higher volume output. I still get plenty of volume through the headphones, which are pretty efficient.

#2317386 - Yesterday at 04:17 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: *windowlicker*]
Savante Offline

Loc: deep in the woods
Originally Posted By: *windowlicker*
Thanks for the suggestion, yep I did have a flick through the settings however I admit I didn't spend long on the touch sensitivity settings. From what I do remember, it didn't completely eliminate the issue

I also did a factory reset on the es7 incase there was an errant setting affecting it.

Next time I go back, I plan to be armed with a range of different headphones and I'll definitely try the touch sensitivity settings more comprehensively

There should also be an internal volume output setting, which is digital volume. You might want to lower that a little, and if necessary raise the final analog output volume to compensate if you need the volume in the headphones. This might avoid any possible digital distortion (which doesn't sound good!).

Generally, I go the other way -- keep the digital volume high to take advantage of maximum digital resolution, and make any final necessary adjustments with the analog volume output. But besides the touch sensitivity, which in combination with other settings could overdrive the overall digital volume, be sure to check EQ, internal volume, effect settings, and any other setting that might be pumping the digital volume up too high.

I remember a discussion I had with Alan Palmer of Kawai USA. He told me that at one time the Kawai engineers were pretty fanatic about making the keyboards "idiot-proof" -- impossible to overdrive the digital volume and produce distortion. But in doing so, they were limiting editing options that might be useful to an experienced user. I think we were talking about overlapping EQ ranges in this context. So under some pressure from some of the player-employees of the company, some options were restored to give the user more flexible editing options. But this means that with certain combinations of settings, it is definitely possible to overdrive the digital volume and produce distortion.

If this is the case, no lowering of the final analog output volume will eliminate the distortion. You have to edit the settings to properly "gain stage" the parameters which affect the digital volume to eliminate the distortion. This really shouldn't be difficult to do, but it helps to know the instrument.

Edited by Savante (Yesterday at 04:29 PM)

#2317392 - Yesterday at 04:33 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: *windowlicker*]
emenelton Offline

It's possible your reacting to the metallic sound some keys samples exhibit at max velocity.

#2317398 - Yesterday at 04:45 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: emenelton]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: emenelton
It's possible your reacting to the metallic sound some keys samples exhibit at max velocity.
This is something that I meant to note. Whatever is "max velocity" you shouldn't ever play with that. No piano should ever be at this level - in acoustics and digitals that are good mimics of acoustics there is a certain point that once you go beyond that velocity you get a bangy quality. Even something marked [i]ff[/f] should be under this max level (and everything else relative to that).
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2317403 - Yesterday at 04:55 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: Savante]
*windowlicker* Offline

Originally Posted By: Savante

But this means that with certain combinations of settings, it is definitely possible to overdrive the digital volume and produce distortion.

If this is the case, no lowering of the final analog output volume will eliminate the distortion. You have to edit the settings to properly "gain stage" the parameters which affect the digital volume to eliminate the distortion. This really shouldn't be difficult to do, but it helps to know the instrument.

This makes sense to me, I'll have a read through the es7 manual to familiarise myself with all the settings to lower the digital volume and see if this has he desired effect. Thanks for the suggestions smile

#2317482 - Yesterday at 09:10 PM Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: *windowlicker*]
*windowlicker* Offline

Thanks for the replies, just to let anyone else reading this know I've actually found other users describing this exact problem in the es7 user thread! http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2005916/Kawai%20ES7%20user%20thread.html

Edited by *windowlicker* (Yesterday at 09:32 PM)

#2317599 - 41 minutes 15 seconds ago Re: Kawai pianos - overloading headphones? [Re: *windowlicker*]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
A while back, I was a member of a health club which was advertising that they were soon to be open 24 hours each day.

I enquired at the main desk if I came at 2 in the morning ... if I would be able to get in (it was now noon). The attendant was not entirely sure but he asked me ... "Are you coming at 2 in the morning ?" I sheepishly replied... "I guess not".

Somehow, this thread reminds me of that experience.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Racvenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (BarryR, anotherscott, 36251, aesop, barbaram, 21 invisible), 1209 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303938 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
08/19/14 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission