Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2261848 - 04/15/14 12:07 AM For students - a lesson on how to hear beats easier
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I was just reading over some posts by students who were looking for ways to make tuning the temperament easier.

Basically, the problem was that, although most techs use a healthy dose of thirds/sixths and fourths/fifths to tune a temperament, beginners like to use fourths/fifths because it is easier for them to hear when the intervals do not sound right, while the thirds/sixths beating is too difficult.

Many techs however, advocate the use of thirds/sixths for the purpose of producing more accuracy in tuning.

It is true, however, that they are harder to hear for many students.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tricks I used when starting out, that helped me to more easily hear the beats of thirds/sixths, sometimes called Rapid Beating Intervals, or RBI's.

1. Know Where the Coincidental Partial Is.
That is where the beating will occur. By knowing where the beating should be, you can begin to train your ear to focus at that frequency. I believe, and there have been studies that prove, that the brain of a piano tuner is different. I believe it is constant focusing of the ear that causes the brain to change. But it takes time and focus. Know where the beating is occurring, i.e. at the coincidental partial, and focus on it.

2. Ghosting
Sometimes this works, and when it does, it is awesome. Most of the time, it doesn't work as well as we would like.
Slowly press down the interval notes, thereby lifting the dampers, and allowing the interval strings to be excited by the ghost note.
Attack the note that corresponds to the coincidental partial, with a loud ff staccato.
If the coincidental partials of each interval note are close to the frequency of the note you played staccato, then each partial should ring, and if they are not the same frequency, the beats will be heard.

This sometimes works well when accompanied by playing the interval mf.
Play the interval. Let it be heard, and then strike the coincidental partial loud and short. Sometimes, it is just enough to bring out the beating when strict ghosting doesn't.

3. Focus the Ear.
Play the coincidental partial many times, mf. Let it sustain. Let your ear listen to that unique and special frequency. Burn it into your head. Then play the interval moderately soft, without playing the coincidental partial, trying hard to keep hearing that frequency of the coincidental partial you had burnt into your ear.

4. Filter Unwanted Frequencies.
This is why hearing beats is so hard. When an interval is played, there are too many unwanted frequencies that interfere with the hearing of the beats.

Understanding the harmonic spectrum can help. Whenever a note is played, frequencies, or partials, of the harmonic spectrum are created. The tone of a note is determined by the relative intensities (volumes) of each of those partials.

Using shapes, we can filter out some of these partials.

When talking, the larynx, or voice box, produces a relatively consistent partial spectrum. But by changing the shape of our mouth cavity, we can filter more or less higher and lower partials, and create the wide variety of timbre, or tonal quality, associated with the speaking voice.

Similarly, the ear canal can do the same thing. Obviously we can't change its shape, but we can change its shape in the room, or orientation relative to the piano.

Simply turning your head a few degrees one way or the other, can filter out just enough unwanted partials from reaching your inner ear, that the beating of the coincidental partial is more easily heard.

Also, with tones that contain the harmonic series, there can be nodes, or points/lines of less vibration of specific partials, within the room. Try to shift your head sideways, as well as tilting, to find the "sweet spot" where hearing the beats is easiest.

5. Know What the Beat Sounds Like.
The beat is not produced by the piano, per se. It seems to be a phenomenon like condition created by the interaction of two strings of the piano, and as such, the tone of the beat is not like most musical tones. It has a ghost-like quality, or pureness, that does not seem to come from the piano itself, but more often, from behind the piano. So sometimes listening behind the piano helps. Listen for that pure, pulsating tone.

One analogy that I use to describe the path to hearing beats easier is a theatre curtain analogy.

The beats are like objects behind a theatre curtain, and we are sitting in the audience, trying to see what's behind the curtain.

When we start trying to see those objects, the curtain is quite opaque, and while there are moments of translucence, most of the time we are just staring at velvet.

As a tuner practices trying to hear beats, the curtain begins to get thinner, and the moments of translucence last longer.

After years of experience, the curtain is virtually transparent.

By using some of the techniques I describe above, you may be able to achieve transparency sooner, rather than later.

Good luck.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2317469 - 08/19/14 08:42 PM Re: For students - a lesson on how to hear beats easier [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
JamietheMan Offline

I've been using the Reblitz text to try teach myself how to tune, and have been going through the exercises leading up to tuning the temperament in chapter 7. I understand the theory of frequencies and coincidental partials. I'm now trying to hear 7, 8, and 9 beats per second when tuning F33-A37, F33-D42. and A#38-D42 respectively. If I'm hearing the beats correctly, should I be hearing them at the tone of the coincidental partial? For example, F33 and A37 "meet" at 880.000 Hz and 873.070 Hz respectfully. 880 is A6 (A61 I believe?). So should the 7 bps be sounding around the pitch of A6?

#2317569 - 08/20/14 02:58 AM Re: For students - a lesson on how to hear beats easier [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi Jamie,

With all due respect to Mr. Reblitz, I do not feel that his method is very accurate or easy to learn. Search PW for "skeleton" method. It relies on listening to the piano to try and determine if 7, 8, and 9, is appropriate.

For your specific question, yes, F3A3 beats at A6. Here are some more coincidental partial formula:

m3: P15 plus M3 above top
M3: P15 above top
P4: P15 above bottom
P5: P8 above top
M6: P15 plus M3 above bottom

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
09/17/14 01:13 PM
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
09/17/14 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
09/17/14 11:47 AM
Playing for ~9 months.. Where to go next?
by alexbergauer
09/17/14 11:39 AM
Aluminum plating on Steinways?
by chasingrainbows
09/17/14 11:32 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (3times2, Abby Pianoman, accordeur, AEMontoya, 36251, 40 invisible), 1340 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157580 Topics
2314664 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission