Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2317708 - 08/20/14 12:25 PM Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg
bagatelle Offline

I have a classical background (lessons for 12 years) but never learned any theory. Don't know the scales, nor any chord progressions, but I can read music. I'd like to eventually be able to comp jazz and play gospel piano. I decided it would be cheaper to teach myself, so I bought several books - most of which seem to skip some basic prerequisite theory concepts.

Out of all of these books, Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano seems like the best method, but I can't stay motivated because the blues doesn't sustain my interest. I'm going to keep trying, but in the meantime I would like to still be able to play some nice rich harmonies to make practice more enjoyable.

Jazz Keyboard Harmony seemed like a good option I could work with while going through Richards' book, but I can't get past the preliminary exercises! I was under the impression that you don't need a theory background to use this book, but now I'm beginning to doubt that. I don't know how to fill in the blanks for Exercise #4 on p. 19, "Memorize II-V-I unit in all keys." Where can I learn this? Not only can I not fill in the blanks, but I wouldn't know what F#m7 translates to on the keyboard. Should I memorize all of the scales first? (I did buy Harrison's Piano Fitness book, so I guess I could work through that). Should I work through Levine's Jazz Theory Book first (which I did buy, but the way the information is presented doesn't appeal to my learning style so I haven't used it)? Is there a precursor to Levine's book? I also have Ligon's Jazz Theory Resource I book which is intimidating. If the best approach is to work through one of these books before DeGreg's I will - but I probably won't do it unless you all say I should!

I'm really looking for a step-by-step method to be able to get to the point where I'm ready to work through Jazz Keyboard Harmony. It seems like there has to be an easier way that's still fun and will keep me motivated. I have no idea where to begin, so all tips are welcome.

Thanks

Piano & Music Accessories
#2317715 - 08/20/14 12:42 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: bagatelle]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
You had 12 years of classical lessons but don't know all 12 key signatures? If the book shows you how to do a II-V-I in one key, figuring that out in all of the other keys should not be difficult. If, for example, the book has it in the key of C, just move everything up a whole step and you've got it D. If the II-V-I started with D minor, just move every note the book shows you up a major third and you're off and running in F# minor. I assume you know the key signatures, but you're just wondering how to translate a particular exercise (a voicing, I assume) to those keys. I'm not saying figuring something out in all keys is easy, but it's doable, and the work you put in will be big rewards.

When I first started jazz with a teacher, she did the same thing. Showed me a voicing for a II-V-I in one or two keys and said go home and figure out the rest.

#2317730 - 08/20/14 01:30 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: bagatelle]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
The II-V-I is the most fundamental chord progression in jazz.

Key of C: Dm7 - G7 - CMaj7

m7: 1 b3 5 b7 (of the scale)
7: 1 3 5 b7
Maj7: 1 3 5 7

A basic way of playing a chord is root and 7 in LH, the "rest" in RH.
There's a way of voicing the chords called rootless, which means that the bass player plays the root, you play the rest of the chord.

What we pianists do is practice all this in different keys, so it means figuring out the voicings on your own

C: Dm7 - G7 - Cmaj7
F: Gm7 - C7 - FMaj7
Bb: Cm7 - F7 - BbMaj7
etc etc

A little about voicings, there are many ways to voice a chord; open, closed, open/closed combined, cluster, etc. Context decides which voicing I would choose.
Two basic ways (Levine calls these A and B):
Dm7 rootless: (D) F A C E - or - (D) C E F A (bottom to top on both voicings).

Feel free to ask questions, it's the only way to learn.

Edited by chrisbell (08/20/14 01:30 PM)

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2317831 - 08/20/14 05:17 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: bagatelle]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
If you're up for video lessons, you can't do any better than Paul Abrahams site: www.learnjazzpianoonline.com

For books, the best for where you're at are the following:

The Jazz Harmony Book. by David Berkman
The Harmonic Foundation of Jazz. by Jimmie Amadie

#2318003 - 08/21/14 02:31 AM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: jjo]
bagatelle Offline

Originally Posted By: jjo
You had 12 years of classical lessons but don't know all 12 key signatures?

That's correct. I realized once I got older that my teachers never taught me basic theory concepts - for each piece I would just memorize what the sharps and flats were and then read the music. Getting back into it again and gaining this new information has been a real eye opener. I'm excited to learn these concepts.

#2318005 - 08/21/14 02:41 AM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: chrisbell]
bagatelle Offline

Originally Posted By: chrisbell
The II-V-I is the most fundamental chord progression in jazz.

Key of C: Dm7 - G7 - CMaj7

m7: 1 b3 5 b7 (of the scale)
7: 1 3 5 b7
Maj7: 1 3 5 7

A basic way of playing a chord is root and 7 in LH, the "rest" in RH.
There's a way of voicing the chords called rootless, which means that the bass player plays the root, you play the rest of the chord.

What we pianists do is practice all this in different keys, so it means figuring out the voicings on your own

C: Dm7 - G7 - Cmaj7
F: Gm7 - C7 - FMaj7
Bb: Cm7 - F7 - BbMaj7
etc etc

A little about voicings, there are many ways to voice a chord; open, closed, open/closed combined, cluster, etc. Context decides which voicing I would choose.
Two basic ways (Levine calls these A and B):
Dm7 rootless: (D) F A C E - or - (D) C E F A (bottom to top on both voicings).

Feel free to ask questions, it's the only way to learn.

This is really helpful - thanks for taking the time to put together this response. I am going to play around with these ideas - the voicing concept is new to me. But I think you've also helped me understand that I really should take at least a few in-person lessons in order to discuss these fundamental ideas.

#2318006 - 08/21/14 02:43 AM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: Michael Martinez]
bagatelle Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Martinez
If you're up for video lessons, you can't do any better than Paul Abrahams site: www.learnjazzpianoonline.com

For books, the best for where you're at are the following:

The Jazz Harmony Book. by David Berkman
The Harmonic Foundation of Jazz. by Jimmie Amadie

Thanks - I will check these out.

#2318015 - 08/21/14 03:22 AM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: bagatelle]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: bagatelle
This is really helpful - thanks for taking the time to put together this response. I am going to play around with these ideas - the voicing concept is new to me. But I think you've also helped me understand that I really should take at least a few in-person lessons in order to discuss these fundamental ideas.
You're welcome. A large part of jazz study is self-study - but a teacher showing you the basics does help. However, jazz is such a large area, there's many different styles that it's easy to get lost. But, you do need to listen - a lot!
Find out whom you like and want to emulate, that's your starting point.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2318552 - 08/22/14 11:47 AM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: bagatelle]
JazzPianoOnline Offline

Loc: raleigh, nc
just a few lessons with a local teacher might really help you. you sound very motivated and if you have good reading skills you are well on your way to being able to understand the harmony.

i have a method for learning chords that is based on the major scale.

(if you don't know your major scales i have a free pdf to help you learn them complete with fingering here: http://www.jazzpianoonline.com/jazz-pian...-refresher.html

once you can play your major scales you can easily learn to build all five of the most common 7th chords used in jazz.

major 7 is 1, 3, 5 and 7 of the major scale.

dominant 7 is 1, 3, 5 and b7 of the major scale.

minor 7 is 1, b3, 5 and b7 of the major scale.

minor 7b5 is 1, b3, b5 and b7 of the major scale.

diminished 7 is 1, b3, b5 and bb7 of the major scale.

if you start with the major 7 chord and then proceed through each chord type (major7, dom7, minor7, minor7b5, diminished7) all you have to do is lower each of the altered notes to build the chords.

for example, to find the c major7 chord, play the c major scale and isolate the 1, 3 5, and 7 of that scale. play them together to play the chord. to find c7, lower the 7th of the c major7 chord; to find c minor7 lower the 3rd of the c7; to find c minor7b5 lower the 5 of the c minor7; to find c diminished7 lower the 7 of the c minor 7b5 chord. then reverse this process by raising each note to get back to the major 7 chord.

you can run this drill in each key to learn all of the chords.

there are 60 chords that you need to know which isn't an unmanageable amount. but once you know these chords you will be able to play virtually any tune from a lead sheet.

and knowing your chords sets you up nicely for further study of jazz harmony.

i'm happy to talk more if you need more help.

br

#2318663 - 08/22/14 05:16 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: chrisbell]
bagatelle Offline

Originally Posted By: chrisbell

Find out whom you like and want to emulate, that's your starting point.

I am going to think about this - sounds like a really good way to approach it.

#2318664 - 08/22/14 05:17 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: JazzPianoOnline]
bagatelle Offline

Originally Posted By: JazzPianoOnline
just a few lessons with a local teacher might really help you. you sound very motivated and if you have good reading skills you are well on your way to being able to understand the harmony.

i have a method for learning chords that is based on the major scale.

(if you don't know your major scales i have a free pdf to help you learn them complete with fingering here: http://www.jazzpianoonline.com/jazz-pian...-refresher.html

once you can play your major scales you can easily learn to build all five of the most common 7th chords used in jazz.

major 7 is 1, 3, 5 and 7 of the major scale.

dominant 7 is 1, 3, 5 and b7 of the major scale.

minor 7 is 1, b3, 5 and b7 of the major scale.

minor 7b5 is 1, b3, b5 and b7 of the major scale.

diminished 7 is 1, b3, b5 and bb7 of the major scale.

if you start with the major 7 chord and then proceed through each chord type (major7, dom7, minor7, minor7b5, diminished7) all you have to do is lower each of the altered notes to build the chords.

for example, to find the c major7 chord, play the c major scale and isolate the 1, 3 5, and 7 of that scale. play them together to play the chord. to find c7, lower the 7th of the c major7 chord; to find c minor7 lower the 3rd of the c7; to find c minor7b5 lower the 5 of the c minor7; to find c diminished7 lower the 7 of the c minor 7b5 chord. then reverse this process by raising each note to get back to the major 7 chord.

you can run this drill in each key to learn all of the chords.

there are 60 chords that you need to know which isn't an unmanageable amount. but once you know these chords you will be able to play virtually any tune from a lead sheet.

and knowing your chords sets you up nicely for further study of jazz harmony.

i'm happy to talk more if you need more help.

br

What a great resource! Thank you - I will definitely try to work through this.

#2320776 - 08/27/14 06:21 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg [Re: bagatelle]
paul abrahams Offline

Loc: London, UK
Here's my YouTube video taking you through all the 7th chords: major, minor, dominant and half diminished. It's really important that you learn these in the 'tricky' keys. Remember that one tune can change key a number of times. Also, when you get to play with brass players, they like the flat keys.
Paul Abrahams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Whpi-ZWz-w

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
72 registered (arX, Barry1963, beeboss, 36251, 21 invisible), 1174 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158437 Topics
2326697 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission