2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
I just purchased an Android tablet. I am interested in connecting my Yamaha piano to the tablet.

Are there any good Android apps that take specific advantage of a connected piano keyboard? I know there are piano apps for the android but I'm looking to be able to use my Yamaha specifically.

I think a cool app would be a Piano teaching app that displays the sheet music on the tablet and "grades" how well you are playing it on the piano.

Does that exist?

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Android music apps are pretty thin on the ground compared to iOS, mostly because of the latency problems (although that may be fixed in the next major release). I have not seen specifically what you're looking for on Android, but if it exists, you might find it mentioned here. A quick look through Google Play doesn't find any of the music apps Yamaha has available for iOS.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I have never managed to have midi working on Android, the apps recognize my instruments but it stops there. Also big latency. The best is using ipad (lots of music apps) or, even better if you can afford it, a good Windows tablet, where you can also run software pianos etc. as in a normal pc.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
K
K
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
I have never managed to have midi working on Android, the apps recognize my instruments but it stops there.

Hello,

how did you connect android with usb? I use the usb midi library from kshoji, and I have no problems. Have a look at my App "Legato", the source code is here.

Viele Grüße
Konstantin

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Konstant
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
I have never managed to have midi working on Android, the apps recognize my instruments but it stops there.

Hello,

how did you connect android with usb? I use the usb midi library from kshoji, and I have no problems. Have a look at my App "Legato", the source code is here.

Viele Grüße
Konstantin

Well that post of mine was from August. It mainly referred to my attempts to use an android virtual piano (http://www.refined-apps.com/grand-piano). In the meantime an update of the app has made it compatible with with my pianos. The library sounds are very good, but latency kills it... Let's wait and see if Android L will change everything or not...

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
. Have any good Yamaha Android apps come up since this thread was originally created? A P-115 controller app would be great. Even a third party app since yamaha does not seem interested in anything but ios. Not all of us who are getting a more budget friendly model can afford the ios world and its expensive cables and adaptors to hook up to the piano.

. I would like a P115 controller app specifically, but am interested in any and all Android apps that are well liked that have come available and works well with Yamaha.

. Note that I am not against ios. I would buy an OLD ios phone to use just a for the controller app to keep costs down but I found checking into it that the costs really add up fast and it not worth being such an expensive remote controller. Thus my interest in Android.

Last edited by Pallen; 04/02/18 09:32 PM.

Using an eMeda 61 KB for dummies Yup, That's really what it's called. Can you blame for wanting to upgrade to an 88 key Digital Piano (ie. YDP115w). Yep, I've got the bug for digital sound and 88 keys. I am learning to play using PianoVideoLesson.com Year 1 Course, and am currently in Unit 3.
I am now looking forward to the release of the new Yamaha app coming to Andriod

Using an eMeda 61 KB for dummies Yup, That's really what it's called. Can you blame for wanting to upgrade to an 88 key Digital Piano (ie. YDP115w). Yep, I've got the bug for digital sound and 88 keys. I am learning to play using PianoVideoLesson.com Year 1 Course, and am currently in Unit 3.
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pallen
. Have any good Yamaha Android apps come up since this thread was originally created? A P-115 controller app would be great. Even a third party app since yamaha does not seem interested in anything but ios. Not all of us who are getting a more budget friendly model can afford the ios world and its expensive cables and adaptors to hook up to the piano.

. I would like a P115 controller app specifically, but am interested in any and all Android apps that are well liked that have come available and works well with Yamaha.

. Note that I am not against ios. I would buy an OLD ios phone to use just a for the controller app to keep costs down but I found checking into it that the costs really add up fast and it not worth being such an expensive remote controller. Thus my interest in Android.

The maturity of MIDI and the audio stack on Android is significantly lower than on iOS. Their implementation and level of support in Android is actually dependent on the device's vendor and model. This makes it unnecessarily complex for Android app developers and most opt to develop towards the stabler iOS environment. Maybe this will change in the future, but even then it will not be easy to bring back audio app developers to the Android world.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Pallen, not sure what you want to accomplish, but I think your impression that ios is costly is incorrect. You can buy a used iPad4 and Apple CCK and a good piano app (Ravenscroft or a Korg Module for Steinway D and have all you need to set up shop with a midi keyboard for less than $200. iOS apps are totally on sale now for up to 50% off, but even in normal times a synth is free (AudioKit Synth One, Syntorial,
And others) or around $10 each. Very few apps are above $15 and DAWs like Cubasis are $50 ($25 during frequent sales). Compare this with desktop costs!

Developers have virtually ( pun intended) no interest in Android, because of the many screen formats amongst other issues ( not very profitable endeavors to begin with for most).

Yamaha keyboards are totally compliant with iOS. If your interest is only piano notation, sheet music apps, etc. that is another story, but when it comes to music recording and production ios is affordable, easy, great fun and with much improving quality of sound.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission