Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2317817 - 08/20/14 04:24 PM CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e
bhmpower Offline

Hi everyone,

I recently joined this forum to become more familiar with the current DP models. I recently sold our Yamaha U1 for different reasons and am looking to purchase one of the DPs listed in the subject.

I am an early intermediate player and am Ok with transition from Analog to D pianos. I was initially looking at CVP 605 and 609s but after studying the models, it seemed like i was paying a lot for features that were perhaps nice to have but not used often. So I am going strictly to the sound and feel.

I have tried the CS 10 and LX 15e and they are both great pianos. as for the Yamaha DPs, it is a mixed bag and this is where your help specially if you have tried these units would be great. In my area (CA), CVP 585s are not in stock yet and won't be for another month or so therefore no way of trying one out. I have read some of the reviews on this forum but that's it. This morning i tried the CLP 545 and thought the keybed action is fairly noisy. In fact the CVP 605 was more quite and CVP 609 even better feel and more quite. On the CLP 545, the keys had a almost rattling sound. I realize that the keyboard in 585 is different than the one in the 545 but I saw the rattling noise comments from another user in this forum about the 585.

Please let me know of your experience specially with the CLP 585 as this is their flagship model with escapement and counterbalance and the kitchen sink focused on piano play.

Also let me know if the Yamaha dealer in your area already has this unit in stock.

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2317856 - 08/20/14 06:18 PM Re: CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e [Re: bhmpower]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forums! I have a friend who is in a similar position and was considering all of the pianos above. He chose to go with the Yamaha NU1 instead as the hybrid approach made the most sense for him for the combination of real action, the new CFX sample, and the nice cabinet the AvantGrands come in. Have you considered the NU1? That may be a very natural (no pun intended) approach for you coming out of the U1. All of the instruments you are looking at are very nice sounding and playing instruments. I recommend playing all of them if possible.

*Side note - My friend worked at a Kawai dealer and felt that even though the CS10 action is outstanding for DPs (arguably the most authentic DP action from a materials/design point of view), he didn't want to spend the money over the CA95, which has very similar guts, so for a little more than the CA95, he felt he could get a real action (basically) in the NU1. He did play the CLP575 and loved the Bosendorfer and CFX samples. The CLP585 uses a different action but again, for the same price he could get into the NU1 which had the real action and at least the new CFX sample. Wish my AG N1 had the new CFX sample...it's nice.

Edited by PianoZac (08/20/14 06:25 PM)

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2317886 - 08/20/14 08:06 PM Re: CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e [Re: bhmpower]
bhmpower Offline

Hi PianoZac and thanks for your response. I have not tried the NU1 and the main reason was that the CLPs seem to be a bit more feature rich and educational focused (multitrack player and recorder for independent hand practice, etc...). I will look further into NU1. Cheers!

#2317887 - 08/20/14 08:14 PM Re: CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e [Re: bhmpower]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Zac, the NU1 is undoubtedly a fine instrument, however it uses an upright piano action. I believe some players may prefer a DP action that replicates a grand piano action.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2317899 - 08/20/14 09:08 PM Re: CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e [Re: bhmpower]
cub Offline

Hi,

As you already know I prefer the CLP 585. Here are a couple of reasons why.

1. Sound: the CFX sound is just so sweet, rich, dynamic and musical. Compared to the Kawai (both CA95 and CS10) which I found to have a thin / nasal sound in the mid to upper register. If you read widely on these forums you'll find pages and pages of how people have had to 'tweak' their piano sounds on the Kawai or use the mellow settings and layering or adjust the sensitivity etc. With the Yamaha I have not felt the need to tweak at all. Just turn it on and play and you will get a very satisfying sound - whether its headphones or through the speakers. LX 15e - I can't comment on as haven't tried it.

The bosendorfer sound is an addition bonus but my preference is the CFX so far.

2. Speaker system - absolutely amazing from the CLP 585. I did like the sound board of the Kawai CA95 for the lower notes as it did create a real 'presence' to the sound but I felt it was let down by the small speakers on top of the cabinet for mid to high notes. The yamaha seem to have the speaker system just right all the way from low to high notes.

3. Action - this is subjective and many rave about the GF action with the Kawai. My only issue with this was quality control and a loud click/clunk from various keys on 2 different CA95. It seems others on the forum have had similar issues but I have to say many are very happy with the GF and you may prefer it. I am extremely satisfied with the 585 action. It does make some noise while playing and I would say it is slightly more noise that the GF keys (other than the clunky ones of course!). The noise doesn't bother me but if you really want a quite keyboard then the Kawai GF wins here.

4. Build quality - yamaha wins here - from the cabinet, stool, key bed, key cover, finish and quality control (just my opinion - others may disagree).

5. Pricing - overall Kawai seem to offer more for the money and better value however it seems that Yamaha have lowered their priced a little in the new 5*5 range and narrowed that gap slightly.

Good luck with your decision - it has to be said all three would be wonderful instruments and you really need to choose what you connect with the most and go for it.

#2318080 - 08/21/14 09:19 AM Re: CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e [Re: bhmpower]
FASAV Offline

hello

I'm new in this forum and I'm living in France.(sorry for my "bad english...)
I have a clp 585pe since yesterday .It's a very nice piano,I don't like the Bosendorfer sound,and I would like to know how to improve the sound of Bosendorfer. Thank you.

#2327952 - Today at 03:42 AM Re: CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e [Re: bhmpower]
Paolo C Offline

Hello,

I wanted to quickly share my CLP 585 purchasing experience here.

I was looking for a digital piano as close as possible in touch and sound to an acoustic one.
Fidelity of touch was actually even more important than sound quality. I had a budget of 4,000 euro (5,000 USD).
I visited a few times some shops in my region (South of France) and tested a few DP models.
In all my tests, I started by playing something on an acoustic piano, then move to a DP, play the same thing and evaluate the difference in feel and sound.
Not a very scientific approach,... just judging from my own feel and taste. For the final test, also, I asked my music teacher to come over with me.

I started by trying out some hybrid pianos, I was in fact fascinated by the Yamaha Avantgrand N2, which I found even better than most acoustic models,
but the price (12,000 euro) was well beyond my reach.
The only “hybrid” option which would fit in my budget was the Yamaha NU1, but somewhat I was not impressed with it, I found it had a bit uneven sound and response…
again, not a scientific argument, it is absolutely personal feeling, but simply I didn’t really fall in love with it.

Therefore I decided to give up on hybrid pianos for now, and turned to good quality "pure" DPs.
I finally restricted my choice to the Yamaha CLP and Roland HP series, and went to a local dealer to test them.
The dealer had no CLP 585 in stock but only other CLP models (575, 545) - and the Roland HP508.
I have to say, when I tried the CLP 545 and 575 I didn't completely like them, especially the touch didn't seem to me very realistic.
Pricewise of course, they were a very good deal, namely the 545. But, don't know how to put it, something was missing.
I also liked the Roland HP508, it was maybe a bit more realistic than the two CLPs, from the "touch" perspective, albeit still softer than the real thing.
To be clear, we are talking about some very good DPs, top of the market, but I was missing that "wow" effect that usually triggers a purchase....

I was at an impasse and couldn't really make a choice when, fortunately, the dealer received some Yamaha CLP 585's and I decided, for peace of mind, to try one.
It was amazing; in my opinion it feels under your fingers VERY different than the other CLP models, with a much more realistic touch. The speakers system is also excellent.
I did some other tests, helped also by my teacher, and the CLP 585 came out as the clear winner in the non-hybrid category (to be fair, it is also the most expensive one that we tried).
So I bought it right away.

I received my CLP 585 a couple of weeks ago and I am enthusiastic about touch response and quality of sound.
It is of course not an acoustic piano but it has a warmth of sound which is impressive, and a very realistic, vibrant touch.
I can only say good things so far, echoing the positive comments made in previous posts.

I am glad I delayed my purchase until a CLP585 was available, in my opinion this model is a far cry from the rest of the CLP series today, and it's well worth a test.
It really stands in a category of its own.

Ciao!
Paolo

#2327958 - Today at 04:19 AM Re: CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e [Re: bhmpower]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Paolo, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the purchase of your CLP-585 - by all accounts, it's an excellent piano.

I apologise in advance for this somewhat predictable question, however may I ask if you were able to compare the Yamaha or Roland DPs with a competing Kawai instrument, such as the CA95 or CS10?

It's also interesting to read that you found the CLP-585 touch to be superior to that of the CLP-575, despite both instruments utilising the 'Natural Wood X' action. I expect the added counterweights on the CLP-585 are the reason.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
Who's Online
61 registered (36251, Badinage, AliAlkhiro, andwi, AEMontoya, beeboss, 14 invisible), 927 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314215 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission