2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Starboard
Any modern $100+ smartphone could probably store and power an OS and piano library engine of greater size and complexity than even the toppest-of-the-line DPs, so it's depressing that we can pay $2000-10000 and still get such cheap corner-cutting in onboard sounds, no matter how premium the pricetag.

It's so depressing I find it difficult to do any further reviews, particularly on the same old stuff in new packages. Not much point beyond noting model B has the same lame/missing sympathetic resonance and CFX sample as A but butchered in a slightly different way, etc.

An acoustic piano is this incredibly vibrant, resonant, loud, very alive thing. We've known for some time now how to fully sample them and use modeling or other manipulation to cover the small remaining gaps. Processor and memory costs are not the significant issue they once were, but here we are.
Seems like you're talking about movie Jurassic Park and it didn't work out well for them. smile

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
G
G
Just a question for Marko if you're out there. The case that you were recommending (the one you use personally for the RD800) am I to assume, you're able to use it even with the power chord modification? Also, any issues with using the rollers on that case (do they have poor clearance, or are things a bit bumpy for the piano? I'm just curious of your impressions. smile (I sometimes wish that the wheels that were provided had a mini suspension)

Oh and a question for Jay, do you know if any retailers in the GTA/KW regions stock the Roland RD stand? It's not listed at Long And Macquade on their website. Any update on the Turbo Start video tutorials? smile

Last edited by GWILLY; 07/28/14 01:03 PM.
G
G
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Starboard
Any modern $100+ smartphone could probably store and power an OS and piano library engine of greater size and complexity than even the toppest-of-the-line DPs, so it's depressing that we can pay $2000-10000 and still get such cheap corner-cutting in onboard sounds, no matter how premium the pricetag.

It's so depressing I find it difficult to do any further reviews, particularly on the same old stuff in new packages. Not much point beyond noting model B has the same lame/missing sympathetic resonance and CFX sample as A but butchered in a slightly different way, etc.

An acoustic piano is this incredibly vibrant, resonant, loud, very alive thing. We've known for some time now how to fully sample them and use modeling or other manipulation to cover the small remaining gaps. Processor and memory costs are not the significant issue they once were, but here we are.

It's always seemed to me that the big companies have not wanted to start a "technology race"... they tend to like to keep their models relevant for at least a few years. This is pure speculation on my part, but I just sort of see "state of that art" as not something happening in the hardware world. Could have to do with the several years of development time for new models? Anyways, they seem to work together on not blowing the doors of the other existing product lines. wink Like they've all sworn an oath as Hardware companies, to follow an "evolution" not "revolution" business model. (ie: no open architecures, and upgradability, unless that means more hardware). They probably all know that we will buy 4.5 times (or some number) over our livetimes with this business model. smile Again this is just an impression, and I have no facts to back this up! I just seems like there is less actual competition happening out there then we realise, with the biggies! The smaller companies are a different kettle of fish, but lack economy of scale to keep prices down.

Last edited by GWILLY; 07/28/14 01:25 PM.
G
G
Having said that - all things being relative - The RD800 is fantastic, and I hope to try it out with Ravenscroft software later this year! I think I could be downgraded as a future purchaser by a number or two! smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by GWILLY
Just a question for Marko if you're out there. The case that you were recommending (the one you use personally for the RD800) am I to assume, you're able to use it even with the power chord modification? Also, any issues with using the rollers on that case (do they have poor clearance, or are things a bit bumpy for the piano? I'm just curious of your impressions. smile (I sometimes wish that the wheels that were provided had a mini suspension)

Hi GWILLY,
I have not done the power mortification nor do I have any intention of ever doing it as I feel it is not necessary for me**. I'll do it just before I sell or trade it someday. Regardless, I don't believe the modification will be an issue with the standard Gator GK88 as there is plenty of room for it.
Rollers work well on most surface smooth or semi-rough. Clearance is decent but I would simply pick it up if I were walk over something like cobblestones. This is were your "mini-suspension" idea would probably work great! But no worries about a few bumps. It is well padded and most stage pianos are built to take a few bumps.
Bottom line: it's a well made case and reasonably priced. Does its job, easy to use, and keeps me confident my board is protected. Just wish it had a shoulder strap option that I would use occasionally.

** This is my choice for my situation as I am well aware of the location of the power source and XLR outputs. I still highly recommend others to follow the recall instructions provided by Roland to eliminate any chance of an accidental electric shock hazard.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Nice. thumb

I
I
RPU-3 and RD-800 question

The RD-800 has no mention of soft pedal or sostenuto on Pg 30 in the manual that shows the List of Functions Assignable to Pedals, Knobs,and Buttons.

The RD-800 manual does show a picture of the RPU-3 on Pg 18 with this description:
PEDAL jacks (DAMPER, FC1, FC2, EXT)
Connecting the pedal switch provided with the RD-800 to the
DAMPER jack allows you to use the switch as a damper pedal.
With a pedal connected to the FC1, FC2 or EXT jack, you can
then assign a variety of functions to the pedal (p. 29).

I've been disappointed by making assumptions with my Roland VS-2400, so I'd like to be sure this time before I buy.

Has anyone tried the RPU-3 on the RD-800?

Thanks

I
I
RPU-3 and RD-800 question answered

You can set the pedals to a midi controller number (66/sostenuto, 67/soft pedal)

Thanks anyway

Roland RD800 Questions about Sounds and Live Sets

Regarding sounds
  • #0007 NX Concert Grand and the several NX Piano sounds below, what does "NX" stand for? Is this in reference to the RD-700NX?
  • #0019 St.Piano 1 through 5, what does "St." stand for? Does it mean "stage" piano? And if so, what stage piano does it represent since there are other stage pianos in the sound bank?
  • #0049 SA Piano etc, what does "SA" stand for?
  • #0055 JD PIano etc, what does "JD" stand for?
  • In general, what's the difference between a "Concert" piano and a "Studio" piano? Is it the length of the sound board?

Regarding Live Sets, is it possible to delete and consolidate sets? I'd like to have a simple Live Set file for performing, one with just the sets that I want, including some of the ones that came with the keyboard, and some that I have created. I know how to copy Live Sets, how to swap sets, how to add my own set, but I don't know how to delete a set and am not sure how to copy just some of the ones I like (plus ones I've made) into my own simpler set.

So in essence, what I'd like to do is to create a blank Live Set File from scratch, one with no live sets in it, and then load into it just the Live Sets that I need and some of the ones I've created. Is this possible on the keyboard?

Maybe I need to wait for a turbo-start video. Jay Roland, please keep those babies coming, as they are much easier to learn from than the manuals. I can't thank you enough for creating and posting the one that's up.

Thanks in advance!

/Pete

Last edited by petes1; 08/21/14 01:24 PM.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by petes1
Roland RD800 Questions about Sounds and Live Sets

Regarding sounds
  • #0007 NX Concert Grand and the several NX Piano sounds below, what does "NX" stand for? Is this in reference to the RD-700NX?
  • #0019 St.Piano 1 through 5, what does "St." stand for? Does it mean "stage" piano? And if so, what stage piano does it represent since there are other stage pianos in the sound bank?
  • #0049 SA Piano etc, what does "SA" stand for?
  • #0055 JD PIano etc, what does "JD" stand for?
  • In general, what's the difference between a "Concert" piano and a "Studio" piano? Is it the length of the sound board?

Regarding Live Sets, is it possible to delete and consolidate sets? I'd like to have a simple Live Set file for performing, one with just the sets that I want, including some of the ones that came with the keyboard, and some that I have created. I know how to copy Live Sets, how to swap sets, how to add my own set, but I don't know how to delete a set and am not sure how to copy just some of the ones I like (plus ones I've made) into my own simpler set.

So in essence, what I'd like to do is to create a blank Live Set File from scratch, one with no live sets in it, and then load into it just the Live Sets that I need and some of the ones I've created. Is this possible on the keyboard?

Maybe I need to wait for a turbo-start video. Jay Roland, please keep those babies coming, as they are much easier to learn from than the manuals. I can't thank you enough for creating and posting the one that's up.

Thanks in advance!

/Pete

#007 and the ones below are the pianos from the RD700NX
#0019 St. Stands for Stereo
#0049 SA stands for "Structured Adaptive" Synthesis, a la the RD1000. Our first SA Synthesis Piano tone.
#0055 JD is our old school JD piano patch from the JD series sound set.

I'm at the office and will answer more about live sets later when i get home from work.

Jay

Industry Consultant
Originally Posted by Jay Roland

#007 and the ones below are the pianos from the RD700NX...

Many thanks for the quick reply!!

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer

It's possible i think

Just edit a live set with all off,and save it with no name(----,or what you want)in all the 200 memory.
Save this global memory with nothing.
After that,put your edited live sets where you want in the banks,like you need for your organisation.
And save this in a global file for your gigs.

And i don't see a better solution.

Last edited by lekanout; 08/21/14 04:48 PM.

roland RD 2000,Korg kronos 2,korg PA4x,Korg sv1,,NORD Electro 5D
Originally Posted by lekanout

It's possible i think

Just edit a live set with all off,

But how is this done? How do you set "all off"?

...After that,put your edited live sets where you want in the banks,like you need for your organisation.
And save this in a global file for your gigs.

But can an individual Live Set be copied from one file into another, and if so, how?

Thanks for your input by the way!

But how is this done? How do you set "all off"?

So simple:
When you're in live set mode,you have the "part on/off" switchs upon the faders.
Just put them off and all is disabled!
Save it like this(as a live set with all parts off...so no sound)and it's ok!

But can an individual Live Set be copied from one file into another, and if so, how?

For sure and it's so simple:
when you want to save a live set,you push the "write"switch.
A screen appears where you can choose the place to save it where you want.
So press write,select the destination to save it,press enter and it's ok..
Very simple and logical!

Thanks for your input by the way!

You're welcome!

You know,the rd 800 does what it does(and it does a lot!)but it's a very clear stage piano.
All is well organized and easy to master.

Last edited by lekanout; 08/21/14 06:39 PM.

roland RD 2000,Korg kronos 2,korg PA4x,Korg sv1,,NORD Electro 5D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm taking an RD800 home (finally) so I'll be working on some other stuff for you guys.

Jay

Industry Consultant
V
V
Hi everyone!

Having been with my new RD-800 for almost 3 months now, I'm in love with its awesome action, sound and workflow. Excellent, just awesome! In combination with my Motif XF6, it's a truly brilliant and flexible package for studio as well as stage use.

One observation: In my unit at least, the signal coming to the RD-800 audio-in continues to be output through its audio-outs when I switch off the unit or even remove the input power altogether, though at a reduced level. Is this so by design? The XF cuts everything off when powered off.

Vikas Sharma
'without music, life would be a mistake' - F Nietzsche
B
B
A couple of blocks away from my daughter's piano teacher is a Guitar Center which we hide in to avoid rush hour traffic until it's clear. Yesterday I noticed they had an rd800 sitting in the rd700 slot. The guitar center guy only gave us headphones for it so I noodled for a bit then let my daughter noodle for a bit as well. The basic piano sounds are nice I didn't hear anything stand out as bad.

I don't really know how good the action is for classical piano virtuouso type training which is what I'm nominally in the market for. If anything my knee jerk was that it feels most similar to the casio series, probably with how abrupt the action transition is and the key bed noise.

One huge positive: I can actually find this piano in stock and its easily playable! I can't say the same for any of the kawai digitals I'm interested in testing (mp11, vpc1). Well the kawai dealer does have a ca65 in stock but I can't say it's convenient.

R
R
Originally Posted by bnolsen

I don't really know how good the action is for classical piano virtuouso type training which is what I'm nominally in the market for. If anything my knee jerk was that it feels most similar to the casio series, probably with how abrupt the action transition is and the key bed.

While all the new PX series from Casio share the same Ivory/Ebony feel keyboards, I don't think the texture of their surfaces or movement is as authentic as Roland's PH4 Concert action (what's in the RD800). While feel is always subjective I've been playing piano (on acoustics Classical and Jazz) for over 25 years and I just don't think the Casio's are in the same league as Roland if you compare their flagship keyboard actions. I'm not trying to knock Casio because I'm quite impressed with the action for its lightweight design and price. However the RD800's action is IMHO more authentic as a grand piano imitation and certainly more responsive than the new PX series actions.

Last edited by Rhodie73; 08/28/14 05:30 PM.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Rhodie73
Yes, no doubt that the RD-800 is a superior piano in terms of sound and feel (one would hope so since it costs more than twice as much). smile Still, as you say, Casio's offerings are impressive for the price and weight. In terms of value per dollar, Casio matches up pretty well with all the big boys, imo.

I noticed in your sig that you have an actual Rhodes MkII, and given your nom de plume, one assumes that you're an aficionado. smile How do you think the RD800's patches compare to the real thing? Just curious. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
R
R
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Rhodie73
I noticed in your sig that you have an actual Rhodes MkII, and given your nom de plume, one assumes that you're an aficionado. smile How do you think the RD800's patches compare to the real thing? Just curious. smile

Hey fizikisto!
Yeh I'm a Rhodes guy! I find that the RD800 has more of a sharper (with a touch of shallow voicing) sound out of the box, more like how a lot of MKII's were voiced in the early eighties. They lend themselves to a more Dyno sound (pickup to tine geometry) rather than the fat early Herbie Hancock sound. However with the addition of some more tonal variations (new parameter for the RD800) like being able to simulate a silver top sound you can achieve a fatter rounder sound like early Herbie and one of my earlier owned Fender Rhodes (not Rhodes).

I like what Roland did this time around for the SuperNatural EPs. I owned the RD700 GX and NX and had a lot of trouble getting a rounder early seventies Fender Rhodes sound. The RD800 allows me to finally achieve it! Also you have to play around with the preamp simulations and speaker simulations. I've had more luck getting a warmer rounder sound by using the Old Case preamp and line out instead of using the Old Case speaker. When you use the preamp and speaker together it will give you an edgier harder sound which is cool sometimes. However a lot of the times I like the warmer rounder sound. I also dial in the tone color character knob around in between the silver top and MKI. Leaning a little more in the silver top domain gets me a rounder warmer Fender Rhodes type sound.

At the end of the day, nothing will replace my Rhodes MkII. I voiced it uniquely to how I wanted it. But the RD800 allows me to have a couple of different Fender Rhodes and Rhodes sounds and I don't have to break my back bringing it to gigs or the studio. Plus I like the expressiveness of the interaction of the sound and what I "put in" to the keys. It feel alive and less like sample playback.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission