Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2318951 - 08/23/14 03:59 PM Tablet setup for ultra portable rig
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Anyone using a tablet and a midi keyboard plus a software piano for an ultraportable rig?

Windows 8 tablets are coming down in price. Being new hardware, I am guessing that Win8 tablets have enough plenty of computing power to run virtual piano software. Someone asked separately about Android and it seems they have too much latency to run something such as Pianoteq.

The midi keyboards come in various sizes. The smaller ones are 25 keys. Two octaves seems only enough to play simple songs. Is there a work around? Or would 37 be the minimum. Going up in size goes against the ultra portability. Obviously, weighted keys are sacrificed for the small size and weight. Many have smaller than standard keys.

So is anyone running an ultraportable package? How is it?

Obviously there are some big trade offs, but the idea of something that easily fits a laptop bag is intriguing to me. If you were gifted such a package do you think you would use it? Or would it gather dust?

This would not be a good choice for classical pianists that want to improve technique. The smaller unweighted keys would work against that.

Potential uses might be for informal performances without lugging a full rig, jamming with other musicians, composing, car camping.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2318967 - 08/23/14 04:48 PM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
There's no way you can play piano on 25 keys. I would say 61 would be the minimum.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2318980 - 08/23/14 05:56 PM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I had in the past entertained similar ‘portability’ ideas, e.g. a short 2-manual keyboard, the bottom manual has a weighted action, the top manual has a synth action. Short could mean 49 keys, but you would have to have 2 left pedals, one for octave shift down, the other for octave shift up so that you have at least 6 octaves available for playing piano. This is an example for what hoops you would have to jump through to get both ‘portability’ and needed features.

There are other ‘portability’ ideas that you can pursue, but what I found was that by the time you get to 80% to 90% of your needed features (you never get 100%), all portable keyboard ideas have grown in terms of size, weight, and complexity, comparable to what the market already offers.

Sure, the market also offers ultra portable keyboards with limited feature sets such as small controllers for controlling software-based rigs. But again, adding features would inevitably ‘grow’ your rig negatively impacting 'portability'. You most likely need more features from your rig than at first thought.

I am not discouraging the discussion at all, though, on the contrary, I am VERY curious what others have to say about this issue.

#2318981 - 08/23/14 05:58 PM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
I've tried "playing piano" (that is, two-handed playing with "treble" and "bass" parts) on a MicroKorg, with 37 keys.

You run out of keys _really fast_! And the "octave up/down" switch doesn't help, because you want to keep the hand that _didn't_ run out of room, playing whatever it's playing.

I agree with JR -- 61 keys is a workable keyboard. You can't handle classical repetoire, but it's usable for pop / jazz stuff.

I don't know if anyone makes a "mini-key" 61-note MIDI keyboard. That's as compact as I would want to go. "mini-keys" are nowhere near as nice as standard-size keys, but we're talking about a compromised system, here.

. charles

#2319026 - 08/23/14 09:08 PM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
Digitalguy Offline

Loc: Switzerland
I have 3 keyboards that you can see in my signature. One 88 (DP), one 61, one 37. All full sized keys. The only one I can put in a flight suitcase (even cabin one) is the 37 keys. While it's better than nothing it's a bit too limiting to play with 2 hands (especially if the piece is not in "C"). It's good to learn new pieces with on travel abroad (mainly with one hand). 61 keys is comfortable. My kross is one of the smallest 61 keys workstations with no mod wheel etc. on the side (under 1 meter or 37 inches and only 4.3 KG). That's what I take on trips where I don't fly. You can play it on your laps and it fits any desk. But you need to bring a pedal and headphones. All my keyboards (like most keyboards) have octave shift buttons, but shifting octave while playing is not comfortable (even with a pedal...)
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2319060 - 08/23/14 10:48 PM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
MossySF Offline

Hmmm, what Korg next needs to do is make a mirrored version of MicroKorg. Then you can put 2 37 key mini keyboards side-by-side and get 74 keys.

#2319095 - 08/24/14 02:59 AM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: MossySF]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
There's a Korg "microKey61". That would be hard to beat.

Width 33.5" (85 cm). $180, with Korg "Legacy" collection of software synths.

. Charles

#2319110 - 08/24/14 04:37 AM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Charles Cohen]
Digitalguy Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
There's a Korg "microKey61". That would be hard to beat.

Width 33.5" (85 cm). $180, with Korg "Legacy" collection of software synths.

. Charles

Personally, I cannot play satisfactorily on microkeys. I would prefer a 49 full sized keys keyboard...
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2319140 - 08/24/14 07:45 AM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
Anyone using a tablet and a midi keyboard plus a software piano for an ultraportable rig?

Windows 8 tablets are coming down in price. Being new hardware, I am guessing that Win8 tablets have enough plenty of computing power to run virtual piano software.

Check the thread at
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2189473/all/Tablets:_a_Windows_Word_of_War.html

Someone asked separately about Android and it seems they have too much latency to run something such as Pianoteq.

Right, there is a very limited selection of MIDI apps for Android, because the platform does not support low latency MIDI processing. However, iPads have Apple's CoreMIDI infrastructure, and there are plenty of MIDI apps, including some very usable piano apps (i.e. CMP Grand Piano and iGrand), though they are not as capable as what you can get for Windows. Nothing with the sophisticated modeling of Pianoteq, nor with the huge sample sizes of the multi-gigabyte offerings. Still very usable for the purposes you mentioned, though.

The midi keyboards come in various sizes. The smaller ones are 25 keys. Two octaves seems only enough to play simple songs. Is there a work around?

If the Miselu C.24 materializes, that would be the smallest option... a 2-octave ipad-sized keyboard that can be daisy-chained to create a 4 or 6 octave keyboard.

#2321667 - Yesterday at 06:28 PM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the replies.

No one mentioned the CME Xkey. It is a Midi keyboard with 25 full sized keys about 15 inches wide, and less than two pounds (600 grams). Combine it with with an Ipad mini or Windows 8 tablet and it might be a neat thing to have around. At less than $100 USD it is cheap enough to just try. Reviews mention a sturdy aluminum body. It is small enough for a composer/songwriter to take along in their laptop or tablet bag. I didn't see an option to daisy-chain the Xkey units, but that would be an interesting setup, with 50 full sized keys, less than 6 pounds total for a tablet, two Xkeys, and a small speaker.

I own a 61-key Yamaha NP11, but at over 40 inches in width, 11 pounds, it is portable, but it is rather obvious when being lugged around. The 61 micro-key Korg mentioned is a more manageable 33 inches wide, and lighter, but doesn't fit into a typical day pack or laptop bag. The 25 key units would not attract huge attention. They are small and light enough (and cheap enough) to perhaps bring to work, or camping, or to the local coffee shop. I'm not ready to buy, just thinking about things.

#2321737 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: Sand Tiger]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

The XKey is cool, but you can't connect them together, so you're back to the 2 octave limit. They're supposed to be coming out with a three octave version, though.

#2321851 - 12 minutes 22 seconds ago Re: Tablet setup for ultra portable rig [Re: anotherscott]
1000 Post Club Member

A person could "throw money" at it and get two tablets and two Xkeys. Figure $200 for a Windows tablet, $100 per Xkey and it adds up to $600 for two of each. Not exactly an elegant solution, but the total is still is under 7 pounds, for 50 near full sized keys, that fits into a large laptop bag or standard day pack. Old timers will remember when laptops were 7 pounds by themselves.

One downside is all that gear needs a lot of table top to set up properly. So not something for tight quarters, where there is no proper desk space. It still lacks a pedal, no weighted keys, but at 7 pounds for a 15 inch wide package (maybe 2 1/2 inches high all stacked up in sleeves) with 50 near full sized keys, it isn't all bad.

I hope Xkeys is working on a daisy chain version. I think that option would be more popular than a 37 key version. Someone else already mentioned another company that will have small keyboards that link together.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (anotherscott, 36251, AndrewJCW, 35 invisible), 1413 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76001 Members
42 Forums
157157 Topics
2308150 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High pitched sound from Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100
by Shiverca
08/30/14 10:43 AM
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
08/30/14 08:59 AM
Yamaha "reconditioned in Japan"
by NanatoFour
08/30/14 08:44 AM
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
08/29/14 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
08/29/14 10:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission