2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Sounds like you've been having fun shopping smile

Since you're talking a lot about the treble, I think you might enjoy the Grotrian. I've found their upper register very pleasing and I think they have a reputation for that characteristic.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are you still planning to only get a white piano? Have all of the pianos you've mentioned been white?

Since white or ivory colored pianos are very rare you will greatly limit your choices if that is the only color you want. Yes, it's probably possible to special order a white version of some piano you like, but it's likely this would require a commitment on your part to buy it. This, depending on your fussiness about tone and touch, could be taking a chance because not every piano of the same make and model sounds the same.

S
OP Offline
S
Yes its such a wonderful experience to touch the finest instruments.

NONE of the pianos ive played are white. but my wife still insists on getting the white piano. Depends on the make, it make take up to 5-6 months to order the polish white finish.
I think except for the Schimmel Konzert upright series, all other models have the option with polish white finishing. I guess it takes a bit of a luck.

Does anyone have experience on the smaller Bechstein Academy upright? like A112 or A3, A2. How do they compare to the C.Bechstein of equavilent size (i've played C.Bech classic 124)? I dont think anyone carries them in Toronto.

PLEYEL P124
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's a little off topic, and none of my business, but I'm curious about how your home is furnished that makes a white finish preferable. (not critical, just wondering)

Modern, maybe? I'm guessing that your home is fairly well put together too.

Learner
S
OP Offline
S
i live in a highrise condo (releatively new) in downtown Toronto by the lake Ontario.
its a bit like this (not my home)
http://www.builddirect.com/images/addinfoimages/peru_gingerwood_room.jpg
with a brighter and cooler laminate floor (very special).

my occupation is architect.

PLEYEL P124
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's beautiful!
I agree with your wife; a white piano will look great in there!

Learner
S
OP Offline
S
Just got back from my 2nd round of Piano hunting.
Today I went with one of my best friend - who doesnt play piano at all but willing to purchase a good upright (he has more money than I do) for his fiancée.

I visited the Merriam Piano at Oakville location.
What a surprise by this little giant Frederick Grotrian! I couldnt believe the sound came out from this little guy, completely outshines the Kawai GE30 Grand for the same price.
And it stood very well against his bigger brother Canto.
I want to say that despite "Frederick" belongs to a different line. It has the identical tonal character, touch and feel to all the other Grotrian uprights - They are basically the same lineup except Frederick has a simpler cabinet with no "Cross" back post.
Mason & Hamlin is decent, very rich tone but somehow less exciting to my ears.
The Concertino is significantly better, but way too expensive.

However, strange enough I didn't like the Grotrian grand that much. as well as the Shigeru Kawai - the sound is too rounded and warm for me.

Checked out their Yamaha U5, very impressive. Significantly better than U1 and Kawai K3. Its actually the only Japanese made upright I liked so far.

I am excited when my friend is telling me his feeling regarding to the different pianos. So I take him to the other two dealers to check out all the pianos I liked.

Guess what, hes immediately sold after he heard the Schimmel Konzert K122. He told me the tone implies a hint of "happiness" and "elegance", and couldn't stop smiling when he heard the tone. I found it very fascinating, and trying to imagine what if my future daughter play on this "Piano of Happiness ". I am thinking to bring my wife with me next time and ask her opinion.

Steven

PLEYEL P124
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
From the list, I would first choose Grotrian and then Schimmel 116. Perhaps surprisingly, I prefer the 116 to the 120 for subtle reasons.

PianoWorks,When you say Schimmel 116 and 120, is that the C116 & C120?

Also, why do you prefer the 116 over 120? I am asking because I am looking at both of those right now. The asking price of the 116 is $1,000 less than the 120.

Charles Walter 1520

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Benn
PianoWorks,When you say Schimmel 116 and 120, is that the C116 & C120?

Also, why do you prefer the 116 over 120? I am asking because I am looking at both of those right now. The asking price of the 116 is $1,000 less than the 120.
Hello Benn, You are reviving an 18-month old thread, but I stumbled upon your question. I was referring to the C116 & C120, though it can be difficult to keep up with ongoing changes in the Schimmel lineup. I preferred the 116 for being more immediately pleasant and impressive, very subjective qualities. The larger 120 has greater dynamic range, but never struck me as superior to the 116 in any other aspect. I felt the 120 was too close to other, better uprights within their line. We sold quite a few 120's when there were specials and quite a few 116's when there weren't.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission