2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 31 1 2 27 28 29 30 31
S
S
vilabs answer my question about layers...

The Ravenscroft has 12 velocity layers on which we apply our advenced filtering to make the velocity splits unnoticeable.

Best regards,

VILabs Supp
Last edited by Superbaffone; 08/19/14 06:16 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Superbaffone
vilabs answer my question about layers...

The Ravenscroft has 12 velocity layers on which we apply our advenced filtering to make the velocity splits unnoticeable.

Best regards,

VILabs Supp

We finally got that info... wink

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
F
F
Originally Posted by Macy
Originally Posted by dire tonic

I wish VILabs would have another go at a Steinway, I'm sure they'd have a winner.

I'd rather they do a Yamaha CFX. I'm not counting on Garritan to ever finish theirs.

What does Garritan have to finish with the Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Virtual Piano?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by fastlanephil
Originally Posted by Macy

I wish VILabs would have another go at a Steinway, I'm sure they'd have a winner.

I'd rather they do a Yamaha CFX. I'm not counting on Garritan to ever finish theirs.

What does Garritan have to finish with the Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Virtual Piano?

As noted on their own web page they don't have partial pedaling or (more importantly) re-pedaling.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

I really wish they have a go at a Bösendorfer or a Stuart & Sons next.

"Without music, life would Bb."

Piano: Estonia L210 (2018)
VST: VI Labs Ravenscroft
My channel: www.youtube.com/c/MXChan
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
[quote=PikaPianist]I really wish they have a go at a Bösendorfer or a Stuart & Sons next. [/quote]

- now you mention it, a well-sampled Bosendorfer would be very desirable, I've no doubt. I'm not familiar with the Stuart & Sons but as it's probably never been sampled before maybe that too could be a winner on rarity value alone?

How about it, VILabs?

P
P
I find it is sampled incredibly good, however, I prefer the "Steinway tone". While technically perfect, this is just not for me. So, I'm selling my copy of the Ravenscroft 275 on ebay right now.

It's available for ~130$/99€ (ebay.com/itm/161412436028).

Last edited by PianoRoll; 09/07/14 06:52 AM.
S
S
Today I bought the Ravenscroft , beautiful!!!

https://soundcloud.com/superbaffone/prova-2-ravenscroft

Z
Z
I am shopping around for a virtual piano library and would love to hear the opinions of those who have owned and tried many of the leading offerings.

I play a lot of jazz improv and lounge, but would also be looking for a piano that I can sit well in a pop or alt rock track. If I need more than one piano, that is fine.

Realism in both sound and playability are my most important selection criteria. Darkness or brightness are issues I can fix with EQ, but of course, something being perfect off the shelf is an advantage!

Cheers

Has anyone here compared this with Production Grand, Garritan CFX Concert Grand or Vienna Imperial? These are three I've had recommended to me so far.

Last edited by ZigZiglar; 10/09/14 07:48 PM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I prefer Pianoteq overall. Superb playability and sound. You can also make edits on a note per note basis (Pro version). For example, notes that might sound lower/louder can be easily corrected by raising/lowering the volume for those notes. I've also made the lower end deeper by using the spectrum profile (Pro version).

Ivory American Concert D has a very realistic lower end; however, note per note edits are not possible. This is a problem for me; since there are always notes that will be a bit off (volume, timbre, depth, etc.). If you try to edit a note or a group of notes, all the notes are affected; for example, if you alter a parameter specifically for the upper register, you will notice the improvement; however, now the lower end has been affected too, and it sounds crappy. It's a catch 22.

Ravenscroft is crisp and lots of fun for jazz; however, it suffers from the same limitations mentioned above. To be specific, C16 (2 octaves below middle C) is completely muffled and weak; you can barely hear this note in relation to neighboring notes. At least one other forum member has mentioned this. Try to correct that note and you mess up everything else (global edits.)

S
S
I love this vst

Body and Soul

Last edited by Superbaffone; 10/23/14 01:01 PM.
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
FADED GLORY ?
What price on Black Friday ?
Any updates/upgrades in the 6 months since this was the latest declared perfection ?

What was it surpassed by ?
{out of touch with all this stuff, too busy PLAYING, I guess}

S
S
Yes busy with my 4et and rav smile

T
T
Very nice SuperB.....are you using a stock preset or did you customize one? I was hoping to see a place where users shared their best presets. I've also been wondering about when we'll see an update to the 275. Their support said one was in the works, but no word on when it might show.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
This is beautiful!

Can you tell us a little about both the Ravenscroft presets and your recording setup/process? Thank you for the music!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by R_B
FADED GLORY?
What was it surpassed by ?
{out of touch with all this stuff, too busy PLAYING, I guess}

Pretty much all of the top pianos that PRECEDED it. It wasn't great.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
S
S
from vilabs:

We will soon (probably by the end of the week) release a new version that uses a lossless compression of the ufs file which will bring the size of he library down to around 5Gb.

p.s. currently the size of the library is 35gb.

Last edited by Superbaffone; 11/25/14 11:46 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
35GB --> 5GB?

That's pretty good lossless compression!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
35GB --> 5GB?

That's pretty good lossless compression!

Now if only Ivory would do the same...my hd would love the free space! wink

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
IF you believe in "loss less" compression it is VERY GOOD - or the source data is very sparse.

As to whether or not it is a good idea to use sample libraries in a compressed state....
That kinda depends on a tradeoff between disk access times, decompression speeds, caching and a whole buncha other stuff.
32 Gig of RAM ? SSD ? hybrid disk drive ? Windoze ? i7 ? on and on.

I would wager that it is GOOD on some systems and BAD on others - so the decision should NOT be made by the sample vendor.

Page 29 of 31 1 2 27 28 29 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission