2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
I was at the library today, and saw a book about Schubert (Schubert: a critical biography by MJE Brown). Thought other people might enjoy seeing this quote:

From a letter written by Schubert to his dad:
Originally Posted by brown
...the favourable reception of 'Suleika' gave me just pleasure, although I wish I could have had a sight of the criticisms myself, in order to see if something could not be learnt from them; for however favourable a verdict may be, it may at the same time be equally laughable if the critic lacks the required understanding, which is not altogether rarely the case

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I too think it's funny when people criticize things that they don't understand. *cough cough*

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Here is another fun quote, from when he was a younger man, living in Vienna, from his diary at the time.

Originally Posted by Schubert
I played variations by Beethove, sang Goethe's Rastlose Liebe and Schiller's Amalia. Unanimous applause for the first, less for the second. Although I myself consider my Rastlose Liebe more successful than Amalia, it can't be denied that Goethe's genius for lyric poetry contributed much to the applause.

From these quotes I gather, much like other composers, Schubert was very driven to improve his skill.

Last edited by phantomFive; 08/26/14 11:38 PM.

Poetry is rhythm
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
And here is an interesting quote from two friends of the Schubert family. The first talking about Schubert, the second talking about Schubert's father. From this you can kind of get a taste of their relationship.

Originally Posted by friend of Schubert
He told that he often wanted to compose his thoughts in music, but his father mustn't know about it, for he didn't want his son to dedicate himself to music.

Originally Posted by friend of Schubert's father
I often had to console Schubert's worthy father about his son's future, and I dared to prophesy that Franz would surely win through, nay that a later world would give him his due, slowly though it came to him at first

Poetry is rhythm

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission