Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2319373 - 08/24/14 08:46 PM How long do you keep piano box?
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

In the event you would need a repair, how long do you keep your boxes?
My PX-130 is close to 2 1/2 years old, I might just throw the box out. I assume the extended warranty is over anyway.
My Juno Gi is almost 4 years old- guess I don't need that one either
My Korg's though are 18 months next week- keeping those for a while.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2319379 - 08/24/14 09:03 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
My MP11 is 8 months old, I still have it (I think we put it in storage in the attic or garage). I'm not sure how long I'll keep it, but you never know when you need to ship it. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2319380 - 08/24/14 09:10 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
David Farley Offline

Loc: Illinois
Probably until I get rid of the piano since the box is stuffed away in the basement where nothing is going to bother it except maybe the mice.

#2319439 - 08/24/14 11:37 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
pianobear100 Offline

Loc: Atlanta
I still have the boxes for all my keyboards. They are in the attic. I haven't taken them very many places to play, but when I do, the box is the best and less expensive way to protect them. I also think that when I sell them I might need the box to ship them to the lucky buyer even if I deliver it across town. With electronic pianos improving at such an unbelievable rate these new keyboards will become obsolete very soon. The MP11 will just not meet my needs when the MP15 comes out in a few years. smile

I just got a MP11 which came in a flimsy single box. The box arrived in pretty bad shape with broken foam inside. I was really concerned and took lots of pictures before I opened the box, but the MP11 seems to be just fine. I'm not sure what Kawai was thinking when they ship a $3000.00 instrument all the way from Asia to Atlanta GA in a flimsy single box. I just don't have that much faith in UPS and all the other carriers it had to pass though on it's way to me.

I am pretty sure, but I would have to get into the antic to be positive that the box my MP8 came in was a double box. It will be nice when I sell it for the owner "To Get One in a Box". It might help me get a better price for it.

I guess the "Box Department" didn't get the message about "No Compromises" for the MP11. Folks sending them back because of poor packaging and damage to their beautiful instruments will eat into Kawai's profits and reputation and especially into the on-line retailers profit margins.

A boost for brick and mortar music stores, but they choose not stock the MP11 in Atlanta. I bought MP11 sight unseen, but I was not disappointed. (except the box).

#2319443 - 08/24/14 11:57 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: pianobear100]
rungabic Offline

Originally Posted By: pianobear100
I just got a MP11 which came in a flimsy single box. The box arrived in pretty bad shape with broken foam inside. I was really concerned and took lots of pictures before I opened the box, but the MP11 seems to be just fine. I'm not sure what Kawai was thinking when they ship a $3000.00 instrument all the way from Asia to Atlanta GA in a flimsy single box. I just don't have that much faith in UPS and all the other carriers it had to pass though on it's way to me.

I guess the "Box Department" didn't get the message about "No Compromises" for the MP11. Folks sending them back because of poor packaging and damage to their beautiful instruments will eat into Kawai's profits and reputation and especially into the on-line retailers profit margins.

I too was quite surprised about the packaging of my recently arrived MP11. The online retailer saw fit to double-box it, but there was still one large piece of broken styrofoam inside the Kawai box. Something of that weight, size, and value should surely not be packaged with brittle styrofoam. I've received much smaller and lighter items that were suspended in their boxes by thick, compressible foam inserts that you couldn't even tear apart if you tried to. My MP11 had several minor dents, and I really can't know whether this happened in the box, or before it was boxed. Nevertheless, the Kawai box and packaging would only make sense to me if the piano weighed maybe 25 pounds, tops.

Edited by rungabic (08/24/14 11:58 PM)

#2319448 - 08/25/14 12:19 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: rungabic]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By: rungabic
Originally Posted By: pianobear100
I just got a MP11 which came in a flimsy single box. The box arrived in pretty bad shape with broken foam inside... I'm not sure what Kawai was thinking when they ship a $3000.00 instrument all the way from Asia to Atlanta GA in a flimsy single box... Folks sending them back because of poor packaging and damage to their beautiful instruments will eat into Kawai's profits and reputation and especially into the on-line retailers profit margins.

I too was quite surprised about the packaging of my recently arrived MP11. The online retailer saw fit to double-box it, but there was still one large piece of broken styrofoam inside the Kawai box. Something of that weight, size, and value should surely not be packaged with brittle styrofoam... My MP11 had several minor dents, and I really can't know whether this happened in the box, or before it was boxed.

Word. I've gotten on the soapbox about this issue in the past. As online retailers become the dominant channel for distribution of slab DPs, the manufacturers (especially Kawai!!!) really must revisit how they package their stuff for shipping. There is no reason a retailer should be forced to double-box over flimsy original packaging. Besides which, plenty of damage may already have occurred before that DP ever reached the retailer's warehouse.

#2319491 - 08/25/14 04:08 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Mine went over the tip same day. Don't envisage any probs, never had none apart from my wrong notes and settings. But my Wise And Wonderful One had an input here...

""

#2319544 - 08/25/14 07:33 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I've still got my V-Piano's box (and its stand's box too), both intact.

I'm glad I kept them, because I did have to send the V back to Roland UK's HQ about 200 miles away, some months after I bought it in 2010, to get the (then) new presets loaded (after several botches by myself via Roland's website - apparently everyone else had no trouble doing it cry). There was no charge for the service.

All the transport to & from my apartment has been by Roland's team, using their own van, so, despite the flimsy box and foam inserts, there has been minimal damage to the box itself (and of course, none to my V). But I can see that if a normal courier service had been used, the box would have disintegrated......

#2319552 - 08/25/14 07:52 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: slowtraveler]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Isn't double boxing the work of the manufacturer? My Yam. Had double boxing with trade name and model proudly displayed for all to see on both. On a piano costing Less than 600. . .

""

#2319554 - 08/25/14 08:04 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Mike407 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
For cameras or other small equipment, I keep boxes forever. It definitely helps resale. I don't have room for a box this size unless I sell a dog (I don't have a box for the dog so I can't sell it!). So, I kept it a month just in case it failed and then cut them up.

I've read about the MP11 flimsy box twice and I don't understand it. My lowly ES 100 had a reinforcement inside the box and was well packaged. First one failed (not due to the box) and the second one was clearly just off the boat as there was a strong outer box and the same reinforced inner box.

Mike

103 year old Schmoller and Mueller
Slightly newer Kawai ES 100

#2319565 - 08/25/14 08:37 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Piano in. Box out. I don't save boxes.

#2319599 - 08/25/14 10:04 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
I threw out the box once I assembled the piano and tested it out for a few days to make sure everything was working, it was simply too much cardboard to keep around for me. I hope I don't come to regret that smile

I suppose stage pianos are more compact where I may have kept the packaging, but the full size digital piano came in a rather large package, which just too much stuff to keep around.

Originally Posted By: Possum SP280Krome
In the event you would need a repair, how long do you keep your boxes?
My PX-130 is close to 2 1/2 years old, I might just throw the box out. I assume the extended warranty is over anyway.

Here in the UK Casio comes with 3 years in most places when I shopped. I got 5 years on mine with an extended warranty on the Celviano AP-450, but not many stores offer that extended cover, some do. Some of the cheaper offers sometimes cut down the guarantee to 1 year I noticed on the same models.

Edited by Alexander Borro (08/25/14 10:05 AM)

#2319614 - 08/25/14 10:42 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: MacMacMac]
Banzai_Ed Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Piano in. Box out. I don't save boxes.

me too:-)

#2319627 - 08/25/14 11:00 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
If an authorized repair place is a 2 hours drive each way, the transportation to and again to pick up is pretty gas and time intensive. So, into my basement the box went.

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2319719 - 08/25/14 03:41 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: peterws]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By: peterws
Isn't double boxing the work of the manufacturer?

Sometimes. My Kawai ES7 wasn't double-boxed. I used to have a Roland DP that arrived double-boxed from the factory, IIRC. I believe certain online retailers in the U.S. will double-box stuff they think isn't sufficiently robust.

#2319752 - 08/25/14 05:03 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
bnolsen Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've kept my clavinova box for 20 years now. Its worked pretty well for a couple of moves. I've only kept the piano box and TV screen boxes.

#2319928 - 08/26/14 03:04 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Phil Greenough Offline

Loc: Liverpool
I've kept the box for my CA65, but I dread the thought of putting the piano back in the box. It was certainly well packaged and it would be like a jigsaw to put it back together. Kawai certainly never skimped on packaging. I don't want to tempt fate but hopefully I won't have to, until maybe the time comes to upgrade.

Phil

#2320124 - 08/26/14 10:17 AM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Abby Pianoman Offline

Loc: Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
I am beginning to get the impression that there may be differences in how the Kawai MP11 is boxed when sent to Europe and maybe differently when sent to the US.

I also sense a bit of Kawai bashing.

My MP11 came with a second lining of carton inside plus the usual Styrofoam supports.

It arrived in impeccable condition and functions perfectly without all the issues others seem to be having.

I have thrown away my box to save space and also because I don't anticipate any future problems.

The MP11 is solid as a Tank and has worked flawlessly for the last couple of months and I expect it to continue to do so in the coming years as well.

#2320834 - Yesterday at 08:35 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Abby Pianoman]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am not a pack rat and am always looking to stay organized (this includes donating many books, only keeping cd's in binders not the jewel cases- didn't keep lcd tv box after warranty ended.

My current keyboards have been pretty good, I just figured as an insurance policy just to save them -I have even considered just saving 1 61 and 1 88.

From my experience though, I think Korg does a strong job of the boxing, as does Yamaha and RoLand
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2320848 - Yesterday at 09:22 PM Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am a box keeper of pretty much anything electronic I may need to transport and or/sell. I have a nice corner in the garage stacked up pretty high. smile

#2320972 - 1 minute 27 seconds ago Re: How long do you keep piano box? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Lester Burnham Offline

I normally tend to keep boxes for most electrical stuff for a while.

For my cabinet style digital piano thought (AP-250 / AP-245) the box was just too damn big to consider keeping. I kept it for a few days, whilst I clarified the situation with warranty support with the shop I bought it from.

When I bought my PX-150, though, and the stand and pedal board, I did keep those boxes - as they were separate ones, and it was more practicable.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, Andy001, aesop, AEMontoya, Allard, 17 invisible), 877 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75969 Members
42 Forums
157105 Topics
2307279 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
08/28/14 04:36 AM
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
08/28/14 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
08/28/14 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
08/28/14 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
08/28/14 12:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission