Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19
Topic Options
#2275861 - 05/14/14 07:54 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Prices of USED software are VERY negotiable, so I think it would be interesting to post both asking and paid prices.

It is a little ODD that "used" software depreciates so rapidly, although it doesn't "wear out" in the same way that hardware does.
Sure, it tends towards obsolescence, but in many/most cases it is upgradable to the latest and (alleged) greatest version, often at low/no cost.

The bloom appears to have gone off this particular rose anyway, so I would expect a December sale of the intro pre-release price, or $99.xx

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2275871 - 05/14/14 08:37 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: R_B]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: R_B
Prices of USED software are VERY negotiable, so I think it would be interesting to post both asking and paid prices.

It is a little ODD that "used" software depreciates so rapidly, although it doesn't "wear out" in the same way that hardware does.
Sure, it tends towards obsolescence, but in many/most cases it is upgradable to the latest and (alleged) greatest version, often at low/no cost.
I'm not aware of any sold prices for 2nd user software. RC has had a mixed reception so maybe that fact alone will exert downward pressure on the resale price.

Quote:

The bloom appears to have gone off this particular rose anyway, so I would expect a December sale of the intro pre-release price, or $99.xx
I'm not so sure if it's broadly lost its favour or we've just gone quiet on it. I've been using it for the last few days and I'm still taken by it, particularly the 'close' setting only - I can't find a use for the other mic options. I've no idea what the real RC sounds like but its sample library is particularly consistent and convincing as a piano - even if not everyone is convinced by its timbre.

Yes, I can see deals coming up again. Maybe this is the advantage of dealing with an outfit like VIlabs who are direct to buyer. Unless I'm mistaken, the Garritan is sold through a network of agents who also want their cut.

#2275909 - 05/14/14 10:48 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I agree Dire Tonic, I still am very happy overall with RC. It just sounds so 'regal' to me wink I don't feel as if I'm missing out on something better, though eventually I'll prob bite the bullet and swallow my pride and get Ivory AG for a fuller sound when desired.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2289609 - 06/14/14 12:06 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Chrisl Offline

I'm trying to figure out how to emulate the resonance of the strings...like when you hit a key on an AP, the sound/resonance lingers. The only aspect I've found that sounds like this is the 'reverb'. Is this the only way to affect the resonance?

Thanks!

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2289650 - 06/14/14 02:08 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Chrisl]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Chrisl
I'm trying to figure out how to emulate the resonance of the strings...like when you hit a key on an AP, the sound/resonance lingers. The only aspect I've found that sounds like this is the 'reverb'. Is this the only way to affect the resonance?

Thanks!

Hold the pedal down. I'n not sure what is implemented in the P105, damper and/or string resonance, I suspect the former only (resonance with pedal down, but not with keys down);'but on most entry and mid level DP's there is no possibility to extend it.

#2289811 - 06/14/14 08:17 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: spanishbuddha]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Hold the pedal down. I'n not sure what is implemented in the P105, damper and/or string resonance, I suspect the former only (resonance with pedal down, but not with keys down);'but on most entry and mid level DP's there is no possibility to extend it.

I am confused. I thought Chrisl was trying to figure out something related to the Ravenscroft software piano. What does how what is implemented in the P105 have to do with that ?

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2289889 - 06/15/14 12:43 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
Chrisl Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd
Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

I am confused. I thought Chrisl was trying to figure out something related to the Ravenscroft software piano. What does how what is implemented in the P105 have to do with that ?

Yes dmd, I was hoping to have that option in RW. I have lessons on a Steinway, and love the sustained note on the strings after pushing and letting go of the key, and I have my 105 with RW that I practice on...so I was just hoping to get it to be more like the Steinway.

#2289992 - 06/15/14 05:53 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Chrisl]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Chrisl
Yes dmd, I was hoping to have that option in RW. I have lessons on a Steinway, and love the sustained note on the strings after pushing and letting go of the key, and I have my 105 with RW that I practice on...so I was just hoping to get it to be more like the Steinway.

Well, the little I know about it ... would seem to point in the direction of the SYMPATHETIC RESONANCE. I would fool with that setting some.

Of course, you might get your best advice by calling VILabs for support.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2307574 - 07/26/14 11:20 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I appreciate the info., PianoManChuck. About the Ravenscroft VPC. I haven't seen any more info. Look forward to more.

#2307783 - 07/27/14 01:02 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: rnaple]
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I appreciate the info., PianoManChuck. About the Ravenscroft VPC. I haven't seen any more info. Look forward to more.

I haven't seen any more info either, other than their website for acoustic pianos! You might want to contact them.

#2307962 - 07/27/14 11:35 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Something that might help this thread.
All the discussion of metallic sound.
The first thing I think of with this is acoustics of the room you're listening in. As well as the speakers. Metallic usually indicates what they call: "early reflections". Those are close reflections from the speakers to you. They reflect so quickly. They sound as the original note played. They can create a metallic sound.
I've been working on the acoustics with my VPC. I don't hear any problem with metallic in the recordings from VILabs.
You don't need another 2 cent's worth opinion. I will admit I'm going to buy it.

#2308104 - 07/28/14 11:11 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: PianoManChuck]
cdl Offline

This is my first post, but first let me say that I recently purchased the Ravenscroft 275 virtual piano. I love it! The sound, miking options, and player friendly approach is tremendous. This is the first piano software that I would consider using to record a solo piano album with. I still use my old Yamaha KX88 keyboard controller (no problem using with Ravenscroft) because of the wonderful action.

Unfortunately I have some negative feedback with regards to VI Labs. Before I purchased the software on July 12, I had a couple of questions regarding my computer's hard drive's speed compatability. When I couldn't find the exact answer, I emailed VI Labs through their website using the "contact" fill-in form. After waiting about a week, and no answer, I cautiously went ahead and downloaded the software. Thankfully there were no problems once everything was downloaded. A couple of days later I had a couple of more questions about EQ and mike settings, and again contacted VI Labs through their website. Again, no response. I tried two more times for a total of four times, and to this day, July 28, 2014, I've had no response. Unless I am doing something wrong, this is totally unacceptable! Has anyone else experienced this? I certainly hope not.

Again, don't hesitate to buy this piano software. The customer support...you will have to judge for yourself.

#2308116 - 07/28/14 11:46 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: HisKidd]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
It could be that the messages you sent did not reach VI Labs, or that the messages VI Labs sent have not reached you. Perhaps check the Spam folder of your email account, just to be sure.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2308127 - 07/28/14 12:17 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: Kawai James]
cdl Offline

I checked. No spam items on my end. I just don't want this to happen to others. Here is the page link that I filled in with my questions.

http://www.vilabsaudio.com/index.php?route=information/contact

If anyone can think of another way to contact VI Labs, I would greatly appreciate knowing. In all fairness, maybe VI has a glitch in their mail system? Hopefully a representative scans this forum, and can offer a solution?

#2308210 - 07/28/14 04:03 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: HisKidd]
CountSmith Offline

I contacted them last february when my HD crashed and I needed a new ilok license. I am pretty sure they replied within 1 day. I used the contact page on their website. There is a user here, Lance VI Labs, here who works for VI, maybe you can try sending him a PM. You

Edited by CountSmith (07/28/14 04:04 PM)

#2308228 - 07/28/14 05:01 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: CountSmith]
cdl Offline

That's good to know about Lance at VI on this forum.

Thank you!

#2316275 - 08/16/14 03:04 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: HisKidd]
Superbaffone Online   content

Loc: Italy
only one word for Ravenscroft...

Beautiful!

Demo Galaxy Vintage D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xqGNWtAjY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPaJ5RTVHg

#2316457 - 08/17/14 04:22 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: Superbaffone]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Superbaffone
only one word for Ravenscroft...

Beautiful!

VILabs did a really good job of sampling - it's consistent, clean, without bumps or clangs but maybe the Ravenscroft itself isn't quite to my taste. Better for jazz, maybe, than anything else?

I wish VILabs would have another go at a Steinway, I'm sure they'd have a winner.

#2316571 - 08/17/14 01:36 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: dire tonic]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dire tonic

I wish VILabs would have another go at a Steinway, I'm sure they'd have a winner.

I'd rather they do a Yamaha CFX. I'm not counting on Garritan to ever finish theirs.

Between the Vintage D, Ivory II American D, and their own True Keys American (which isn't bad) I've got enough Steinways. If you don't like either the Vintage D or Ivory II American D, I wonder what you are looking for? I don't hear many flaws in either. It's more a matter of which original piano I like better.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2316578 - 08/17/14 02:03 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: Macy]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Macy
I'd rather they do a Yamaha CFX. I'm not counting on Garritan to ever finish theirs.

I'd be interested in their CFX also.

Quote:

Between the Vintage D, Ivory II American D, and their own True Keys American (which isn't bad) I've got enough Steinways. If you don't like either the Vintage D or Ivory II American D, I wonder what you are looking for? I don't hear many flaws in either. It's more a matter of which original piano I like better.

I wasn't bowled over by anything I heard of the TK American but I sensed that VIlabs got into their stride with the Ravenscroft, better methods maybe (I'm guessing) so I'm hoping they've sharpened their tools, their know-how.

I've just bought Ivory American so I'm still messing about with it. That and the vintage D are both good - and strikingly different from each other - but they could be better. I don't like Vintage D's una corda, and at the moment I find Ivory a bit on the woolly side. Other than eradicating obvious flaws It's not easy to pin down and specify what I'm looking for but I think I'll know it when I play it and hear it.

#2317192 - 08/19/14 06:15 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Superbaffone Online   content

Loc: Italy
vilabs answer my question about layers...

The Ravenscroft has 12 velocity layers on which we apply our advenced filtering to make the velocity splits unnoticeable.

Best regards,

VILabs Supp

Edited by Superbaffone (08/19/14 06:16 AM)

Demo Galaxy Vintage D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xqGNWtAjY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPaJ5RTVHg

#2317209 - 08/19/14 06:52 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Superbaffone]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Superbaffone
vilabs answer my question about layers...

The Ravenscroft has 12 velocity layers on which we apply our advenced filtering to make the velocity splits unnoticeable.

Best regards,

VILabs Supp

We finally got that info... wink
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2319086 - 08/24/14 01:43 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: Macy]
fastlanephil Offline

Loc: United States

What does Garritan have to finish with the Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Virtual Piano?

#2319102 - 08/24/14 03:21 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: fastlanephil]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fastlanephil

What does Garritan have to finish with the Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Virtual Piano?

As noted on their own web page they don't have partial pedaling or (more importantly) re-pedaling.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2319901 - 08/26/14 01:29 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: dire tonic]
PikaPianist Offline

Loc: Brisbane

I really wish they have a go at a Bösendorfer or a Stuart & Sons next.

Kawai CS6 digital piano
My channel: www.youtube.com/user/Darkalus

#2323234 - 09/02/14 04:35 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… Poor Customer Service [Re: PikaPianist]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

[quote=PikaPianist]I really wish they have a go at a Bösendorfer or a Stuart & Sons next. [/quote]

- now you mention it, a well-sampled Bosendorfer would be very desirable, I've no doubt. I'm not familiar with the Stuart & Sons but as it's probably never been sampled before maybe that too could be a winner on rarity value alone?

How about it, VILabs?

#2324960 - 09/07/14 06:51 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
PianoRoll Offline

I find it is sampled incredibly good, however, I prefer the "Steinway tone". While technically perfect, this is just not for me. So, I'm selling my copy of the Ravenscroft 275 on ebay right now.

It's available for ~130$/99€ (ebay.com/itm/161412436028).

Edited by PianoRoll (09/07/14 06:52 AM)

Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
EFX on the Kawai MP6
by Lania
09/23/14 07:32 AM
New Single: Wind (Piano Song)
by Darkreach
09/23/14 07:32 AM
Measuring Humidity?
by pianomise
09/23/14 07:29 AM
DH Baldwin - a few technical questions
by Jamie_from_Canada
09/23/14 06:20 AM
I can only Trill well on good grand pianos....
by Paul678
09/22/14 11:48 PM
Who's Online
106 registered (aesop, Al LaPorte, Abby Pianoman, 36251, allakart, 29 invisible), 1166 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157704 Topics
2316437 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission