Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
126 registered (aesop, accordeur, anamnesis, 41 invisible), 1556 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2232977 - 02/17/14 07:40 AM Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I recently purchased the Ivory II Concert D and am struggling trying to find a sound for classical piano pieces.

Any users out there with suggestions ?

Thanks

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2233237 - 02/17/14 03:10 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
AZ_Astro Online   content

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
I think I tried every factory default and although my ear probably isn't the best, why don't you try the Graceful American and the Lyrical American Concert D settings and see how you like them? Try not to make too many tweaks of the settings away from the defaults (or save the new settings with a new name).

Let us know your thoughts. Maybe you could also find one that you don't like as well and see if you can discern why. This may help you evaluate and tweak things down the road.

#2233241 - 02/17/14 03:18 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: AZ_Astro]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro
I think I tried every factory default and although my ear probably isn't the best, why don't you try the Graceful American and the Lyrical American Concert D settings and see how you like them? Try not to make too many tweaks of the settings away from the defaults (or save the new settings with a new name).

Let us know your thoughts. Maybe you could also find one that you don't like as well and see if you can discern why. This may help you evaluate and tweak things down the road.

Thanks for the effort and the reply.

Apparently, you do not use Ivory II Concert D for classical music.

I too, have tried every one of the presets and find none of them to my liking.

I am hoping to find someone that actually is using this software for classical music and has a standard setting they can relate to me with.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2233247 - 02/17/14 03:21 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]

I just checked my American D settings and recordings and found that I have also used the Impressionistic ACD factory settings. But most of the recordings that I have made have been with the Graceful American. I can't tell off hand what tweaks I have done but I know there have been a few.

I would suggest trying the Graceful American.

On the Sessions tab, bump up the gain to 7.5ish.
Change the Velocity Map Preset to a setting that you like

On the Program tab, I usually turn down the key and pedal noises, and then I fiddle a bit with the Dynamic Range a bit.

On the Effects tab, you can try other effect presets to see which one you like. I usually like the studio settings.

Back on Program tab, you might try the Performer/Audience toggle to see which one you like.

Anyway, that should give you a start. And I would love to hear how you feel about the results. Odds are very good that you will find that you prefer things different from me and I know everyone with Ivory II American D would be interesting in getting more feedback.

Edited by AZ_Astro (02/17/14 03:23 PM)

#2233249 - 02/17/14 03:25 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]

I primarily play the German D instead of the American D. And I do play classical music primarily.

I originally purchased the Ivory II grand pianos (with German D), then purchased American D, then returned to using German D after using American D for several months.

I guess that means I prefer the German D to American D for most classical work. I know that doesn't help you out. Sorry!

Edited by AZ_Astro (02/17/14 03:30 PM)

#2233311 - 02/17/14 05:07 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: AZ_Astro]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I primarily play the German D instead of the American D. And I do play classical music primarily.

I originally purchased the Ivory II grand pianos (with German D), then purchased American D, then returned to using German D after using American D for several months.

I guess that means I prefer the German D to American D for most classical work. I know that doesn't help you out. Sorry!

No, it doesn't help me but it does confirm my sense that there does not seem to be a preset that works right out of the box.

That never makes sense to me. You would think the authors of this product would have at least one sound they feel is their best effort at a classical piano sound. Why do I have to create one ? Logically, I would have to assume that if they can't do it ...neither can I.

Oh .. I know ... the standard reply to that is "Everybody has a different view on what that sound should be". Well, that is not true to the extent that nothing sounds good. Ridiculous.

So, anyway thanks for your help and I will take a look at your previous suggestions.

#2233323 - 02/17/14 05:41 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok, I tried the Graceful American and I agree that it has a reasonably good beginning sound. I fussed around with it previously and came to that same conclusion. I was hoping for a bit more of a specific direction but I understand the difficulty of that.

Here is something more specific ...

One thing I notice in most all of these is that the sound seems to be more of "pluck" of the strings in stead of just striking them. I am wondering if you hear the same thing and (if so) what do you do to reduce that, if in fact you wish to reduce it ?

#2233571 - 02/18/14 07:37 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: AZ_Astro]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA

you are not alone doing this. i did the same thing and have never tired of the German's versatility and pleasant timbre.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2233973 - 02/18/14 10:49 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]

Originally Posted By: dmd

Here is something more specific ...

One thing I notice in most all of these is that the sound seems to be more of "pluck" of the strings in stead of just striking them. I am wondering if you hear the same thing and (if so) what do you do to reduce that, if in fact you wish to reduce it ?

No, I don't hear that, in any register.

The bass is strong and clear. To me it's the best part of American D. The mid-register sounds fine but lacks power relative to the bass register. And I feel pretty much the same way about the upper register. Neither the upper or mid ranges have the silvery pure sound of German D.

But I think I prefer the bass in American D. I love its sustain and strength.

By the way, I am listening to American D through headphones to avoid any speaker weirdness. I use stereo monitor speakers but don't like them as well as headphones anyway.

#2233974 - 02/18/14 11:01 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: bfb]

Originally Posted By: bfb

you are not alone doing this. i did the same thing and have never tired of the German's versatility and pleasant timbre.

I updated my signature to show the various software pianos that I have tried. Looks like we have taken a similar path, and reached a similar conclusion. My preferences for software pianos are in the order that I have listed them.

I have owned Ivory II for about a year and a half and I purchased American D about a year ago, played it exclusively for about three or four months, then tired of it and moved back to German D. Haven't looked back for a long time and I still find playing the German D to be fulfilling.

#2234044 - 02/19/14 03:26 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: AZ_Astro]
eulerdisk Offline

Loc: Italy
@AZ_Astro
Maybe it's OT but, may I ask you if you have any audio amplifier for the headphones ??

#2234071 - 02/19/14 07:05 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I've asked about this before. Am very interested...
On my German D. When I play softly. It's loses hammer noise. Almost "as if" the soft pedal is automatically engaged. Don't hear any strike of the strings. Then, at a certain point of playing harder. I'd say maybe at Mf? It picks up the hammer noise. The initial strike of the strings.

1) Do you find this also?
2) Is an acoustic Steinway D in reality, this way?

I would like to say. I'm playing with the settings on my Ivory always. Always upping the gain, dynamic range. Makes a big difference from any of the standard settings. Much more like what I perceive to be a real piano.

#2234084 - 02/19/14 07:33 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
WaterDweller Offline

It seems all the most popular sampled pianos have the same flaw, with regards to classical music: they're close mic'ed. Some of them even seem to have had the microphones placed almost inside the piano, just under the lid, which is a big no-no when recording classical music. The only one I've used that had a reasonable microphone placement available was the old Garritan Steinway (Garritan Authorized Steinway?). Unfortunately, despite its wonderful sound, it suffered from very conspicuous changes between velocity layers.

There really isn't much you can do to get the really "classical" classical sound with close mic'ed samples. frown

#2234549 - 02/19/14 10:19 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: eulerdisk]

Originally Posted By: eulerdisk
@AZ_Astro
Maybe it's OT but, may I ask you if you have any audio amplifier for the headphones ??

Yes, I do. I have an audio interface box [Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6] between my keyboard and computer. And the speakers plug into the box as well. I plug my headphones into the box and there is a separate volume control for the headphones.

Edited by AZ_Astro (02/19/14 10:20 PM)

#2234767 - 02/20/14 09:57 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: rnaple]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I've asked about this before. Am very interested...
On my German D. When I play softly. It's loses hammer noise. Almost "as if" the soft pedal is automatically engaged. Don't hear any strike of the strings. Then, at a certain point of playing harder. I'd say maybe at Mf? It picks up the hammer noise. The initial strike of the strings.

1) Do you find this also?
2) Is an acoustic Steinway D in reality, this way?

I would like to say. I'm playing with the settings on my Ivory always. Always upping the gain, dynamic range. Makes a big difference from any of the standard settings. Much more like what I perceive to be a real piano.

interesting that you widen the dynamic range. i've actually found i like Ivory II better by compressing dynamic range. sounds cleaner and clearer to me, but my piano tastes run more towards jazz/pop ballads, blues, boogie and rock. I understand that classical requires a wider dynamic range. I also have a setup bias towards recording and i think you've got to compress piano when recording or you wind up with listener volume issues. And that may be why i really enjoy Ivory - i can sense dynamic changes in the timbre without a lot of volume change.

i also wonder if you compressed dynamics a tad and raised the hammer volume levels you'd hear it more consistently across dynamic levels. I do think the German sounds more like a softer hammer piano, so i think you might need to accept that sound at soft dynamics.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2246604 - 03/14/14 04:02 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: canada
Thread Resurrection!! OK: if this thread is about getting a Classical Sound in piano samples, I too suffer from the absence of plausible piano samples.

Observations:

1. Piano samples HAVE improved over the last ten years.

Nevertheless:

2. MIC placement IS a big issue. Most but not all (famous exception Glenn Gould on Columbia: Gould liked mics over the hammers) solo classical pianos are recorded in a hall or large studio with Schoeps or Neumann pencil mics, side placement, out at least 6 ft from the piano.

No sampled piano has THAT kind of mic placement, because the market is for the opposite sound! IN the piano and OVER the strings and hammers!
3. MIC type. Expensive and super-accurate German pencil mics not generally used for sampled pianos.
4. Room type. Samples are NOT, make that NEVER, recorded in halls. Period. And yet for most classical folks, the room is HALF the sound of the piano itself!

Having said that....

I think the Ivory 2 American Grand CAN be made to sound quite a bit like a modern somewhat reverberant classical sound, at least in a "recorded sound" context. (The criteria are a little different than those you would use for assessing a sampled piano in a "live" context). Recorded classical Steinway D sound from American Grand requires 1) minimal use of the "add on" stuff, like the release samples--they are modeled, not "real", and they SOUND modeled; 2) dynamic range at max (60); 3) key noise (modeled) I use "0.0" 4) release: play with it, I don't like it... it's modeled, not real, but it doesn't destroy the piano sound either; 5) pedal noise, use a little; 7) Sustain res "off"; 8) Soundboard "off"; 9) Stereo Width, "100%"; 10) Lid Position "Full Stick"; 10) Release samples, to taste (I prefer "off"); 11) Soft pedal "on"; 12)EFECTS none except for reverb, and the best of the lot for classical (in my view) is the "venue" setting.

Here's a very poor example of what these settings do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbjSqG4ti30

I'll be updating with a more "refined" version of this Bach fugue very shortly.

For folks who are into the minutia of piano samples for classical, the True Keys Fazioli ("Italian Grand") is an interesting contribution to samples. I purchased it. Incredibly "life like" sound, but not with mic positioning or mic type that makes doing a classical piano sound easy.

The release samples are "real" not simulated, and that seems to make a difference. I'll update with a bit of Shostakovich at Y-Tube in a day or to. I'll post that here.

I have to give the Ivory "German" a second listen, given what has been said here. The Steinway is "accurate", but lacks upper register clarity. A bit like a good circa 1970 solo piano recording: sounds like the real thing, but not super high fi.

#2246781 - 03/14/14 10:56 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

American Grand, "live venue" verb in very slow Bach:
https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant/bach-wtc-book-1-fugue-24

True Keys player perspective, same midi file, using UVI "deluxe Large Hall" verb....
https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant/b1f24-italian-grand-true-keys

Both believable. True Keys exceptionally clear, but some annoying coloration in the tenor. American Grand: no coloration, but high end seems dull or lacking.

Note, also, that the American has much louder ff than the Italian. This throws the comparison off, a bit; the Italian is much louder than the American until the end of the piece, where the volume of each is relatively comparable.

#2247068 - 03/15/14 03:50 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
hisgrace26 Offline

For classical that may depend on the sample.

Edited by hisgrace26 (03/16/14 10:24 AM)

#2302527 - 07/15/14 10:10 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: hisgrace26]
portlandmike Offline

Loc: Portland, ME
With American Concert D, I found that by EQ'ing the high shelf frequency at 752 Hz with .5 dB gain, it makes the mids and highs much more vibrant. It might raise some of the volume of the fundamentals above 752hz (G5 and up) a little too much (although I found it useful for the area of G5-B5, which were fairly weak notes to begin with), but I find it worth it for a less "dead" sound in the mid-upper mid range. I just wish there was a way to modify the volume of specific notes (such as C6, C#6, and F6, which are really noticeably louder than other notes in it's vicinity).

I find for myself, this simple eq setting makes for a much more gratifying playing experience, although it does change the character of the piano to a brighter sound. I also have been experimenting with adding .5 dB low shelf frequency at around 84.3 Hz, although this might be more a reflection of the frequency response of my Marshal "Major" over ear headphones, and the pair of RCF 1031a 10" speakers I gig with. I mostly play jazz, but practice some classical with American Concert D (or pianoteq 5, which doesn't have as nice a tone, but is more responsive. Definitely a noticeable improvement over 4.5).

From the limited amount I played Ivory II German D through try-sound.com, I would have to agree that the mids and upper mids have a much more singing tone. I find that chords on the American sound richer, however. I wonder if I would have liked the German better... But didn't try it out online until after purchasing ACD... And don't want to drop the $330... Maybe I'll get Ivory III when it comes out, if my early 2009 macbook white (with 500gb SSD , 4GB ram, I could upgrade to 6 GB ram ) can handle it.

#2302623 - 07/15/14 03:12 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: portlandmike]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: portlandmike
With American Concert D, I found that by EQ'ing the high shelf frequency at 752 Hz with .5 dB gain, it makes the mids and highs much more vibrant. It might raise some of the volume of the fundamentals above 752hz (G5 and up) a little too much (although I found it useful for the area of G5-B5, which were fairly weak notes to begin with), but I find it worth it for a less "dead" sound in the mid-upper mid range. I just wish there was a way to modify the volume of specific notes (such as C6, C#6, and F6, which are really noticeably louder than other notes in it's vicinity).

I find for myself, this simple eq setting makes for a much more gratifying playing experience, although it does change the character of the piano to a brighter sound. I also have been experimenting with adding .5 dB low shelf frequency at around 84.3 Hz, although this might be more a reflection of the frequency response of my Marshal "Major" over ear headphones, and the pair of RCF 1031a 10" speakers I gig with. I mostly play jazz, but practice some classical with American Concert D (or pianoteq 5, which doesn't have as nice a tone, but is more responsive. Definitely a noticeable improvement over 4.5).

From the limited amount I played Ivory II German D through try-sound.com, I would have to agree that the mids and upper mids have a much more singing tone. I find that chords on the American sound richer, however. I wonder if I would have liked the German better... But didn't try it out online until after purchasing ACD... And don't want to drop the $330... Maybe I'll get Ivory III when it comes out, if my early 2009 macbook white (with 500gb SSD , 4GB ram, I could upgrade to 6 GB ram ) can handle it.

I tried that, actually. But in the end, I preferred the result I got by ramping up the velocity of the midi file (via American or sequencer, also taking the dyn range to 60 if necessary!!)

#2302995 - 07/16/14 11:41 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I just got back from a week long trip, leaving one day after my Bday on the 9th. I surprisingly got ACD and the iLok. Now I have to clear out some old programs to accommodate the 60G needed lol So hopefully in next dy or so I'll be able to try this extensively at home.

Thanks for the general setup ideas, gives me a starting point as a complete newbie to this program. I still like RCroft a lot, but wanted something more akin to my teachers Steinway L.

Keep the ideas coming guys! wink

Chris

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2304470 - 07/20/14 04:04 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
portlandmike Offline

I prefer to keep the dynamic range around 39-43 (39-41 live, up to 43 for practice), as it hides the changes in level more easily, while still allowing for expression. But I am primarily a jazz pianist, and I can understand wanting greater extremes in dynamics.

I messed around for a long time with the eq settings today (probably should have spent more time practicing...), and found I still like my above settings best. However, I found that using "medium resonant 1" soundboard set at 0db gain gives me more sustain in the mid/upper mode range (which I find particularly lacking in the default settings), although it only affects the sound when I am using pedal. I will probably mess around with more of the soundboard options, although I don't like too much resonance (it sounds fake at higher levels to my ear). I haven't used sympathetic resonance much, because it doesn't seem worth the CPU load to my older macbook, and seems to contribute to "pops" in the sound, which I don't normally experience.

I'm also still fiddling with velocity settings... I keep it around (18-21) to (123-127), with a silent velocity around 15-19. This seems to work well for both the Kawai mp11 and Yamaha p105 I use, and I used a similar setting when I had a casio privia px150.

I have to keep in mind that even real pianos (or at least the kind I can afford) have imperfections, and that this software is vastly superior to any onboard keyboard sounds I've ever used. It allows me to largely get lost in the music, and have enough degree of expression that I don't miss the real thing quite as much, particularly when playing live with others.

#2304483 - 07/20/14 04:57 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
PJ88 Offline

Close miking is often done even in classical music with an additional room pair. Then you can mix to taste.

If you only have close miked samples, just snap a convolution reverb on top and it can sound like many feet away.

#2304802 - 07/21/14 11:13 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: portlandmike]
Chrisl Offline

Originally Posted By: portlandmike
I prefer to keep the dynamic range around 39-43 (39-41 live, up to 43 for practice), as it hides the changes in level more easily, while still allowing for expression. But I am primarily a jazz pianist, and I can understand wanting greater extremes in dynamics.

I messed around for a long time with the eq settings today (probably should have spent more time practicing...), and found I still like my above settings best. However, I found that using "medium resonant 1" soundboard set at 0db gain gives me more sustain in the mid/upper mode range (which I find particularly lacking in the default settings), although it only affects the sound when I am using pedal. I will probably mess around with more of the soundboard options, although I don't like too much resonance (it sounds fake at higher levels to my ear). I haven't used sympathetic resonance much, because it doesn't seem worth the CPU load to my older macbook, and seems to contribute to "pops" in the sound, which I don't normally experience.

I'm also still fiddling with velocity settings... I keep it around (18-21) to (123-127), with a silent velocity around 15-19. This seems to work well for both the Kawai mp11 and Yamaha p105 I use, and I used a similar setting when I had a casio privia px150.

I have to keep in mind that even real pianos (or at least the kind I can afford) have imperfections, and that this software is vastly superior to any onboard keyboard sounds I've ever used. It allows me to largely get lost in the music, and have enough degree of expression that I don't miss the real thing quite as much, particularly when playing live with others.

Thanks portlandmike! I'll give those a try. I too played around w. settings yest. and found I still lack a good critical ear to make any adjustments. Do you all use the factory setting of ACD or the ACD II in the "Preset" option? There are so many options there not sure which to use?

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2305125 - 07/21/14 10:52 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
portlandmike Offline

Chrisl: I use a lot of the default settings. I turned "key noise" to -24dB, and pedal noise to -14.5 dB (just because I find them annoying, particularly through speakers). I add some reverb, right now set to .6x size with "Live Venue." 14% wet/ dry, 40.5 ms predelay, 20kz damping. Honestly, I some of those reverb settings I set arbitrarily, having modified a pre-existing one. I saved my own "program preset" and "session preset" based on what I modified. I keep it at "American Concert D 20 level" rather than "20 level 2." You might take an existing preset that you like, and fiddle with the settings. It can be easy to spend too much time changing settings, though...

#2305144 - 07/21/14 11:33 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
Chrisl Offline

Thanks portlandmike. I know we all have preferences, but good to know what others are using. I haven't spent time with level 2...I'll give it a go. But I agree, it's too easy to play around with all the settings lol

#2306919 - 07/25/14 10:38 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
Chrisl Offline

Played a bit more w. the settings. Not sure what I 'really like'...but, WOW. I love this sound overall. So much more musically involving and def., for me, much more fun to practice, and futz around on the dp.

RCroft I also love, but will save for later as I hope to learn some jazz piano too. But for what I'm playing (agay's book I), and what I'm playing on at my teachers place (steinway L), and lastly, it's sounds more like some of the recitals I've been too at peoples homes.

I must admit, the whole iLok concept I was against from the get go...but holy smokes, it's well worth the extra effort and cost for me.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Chris

#2319680 - 08/25/14 01:19 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: dmd]
Chrisl Offline

Does anyone know what parameter I need to use to adjust the pedal? It's either on or off when I pedal, no in between like a real piano's pedaling?

#2319831 - 08/25/14 09:04 PM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: Chrisl]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Chrisl
Does anyone know what parameter I need to use to adjust the pedal? It's either on or off when I pedal, no in between like a real piano's pedaling?

I don't believe the switch pedal (FC-5?) included with the P105 supports half-pedalling. You need to upgrade to a pedal that does, such as the FC-3.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2320115 - 08/26/14 09:59 AM Re: Ivory II Concert D settings for Classical sound [Re: Kawai James]
Chrisl Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Originally Posted By: Chrisl

I don't believe the switch pedal (FC-5?) included with the P105 supports half-pedalling. You need to upgrade to a pedal that does, such as the FC-3.

Cheers,
James
x

Oh, half pedaling is what it's called eh? Thanks for this crucial information James! I'll track down a F3.

Again, Thanks James!
Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fair Price for Roland HP-508
by MarkF786
11/22/14 07:54 PM
Yamaha P22 tuning instability
by beethoven986
11/22/14 07:25 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 05:09 PM
Are there usually dp sales in holiday in the US
by linghu224
11/22/14 04:37 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 03:33 PM
Forum Stats
77008 Members
42 Forums
159271 Topics
2339742 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission