Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2320215 - Yesterday at 01:45 PM Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach
tuncay Online   content

Hi everyone,

I was 28 years old last September when I finally decided to realize a dream I was scared of : playing the piano. It was mostly inspirations from people and this forum where I thought I can still do this despite not having the chance earlier in life. I bought a piano based on advice from here in October, and started lessons shortly after. So around 10 months later, here is me playing Bach's Prelude in C and Petzold's Minuet from the notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. I get too nervous while playing for others, but I wanted to record this to show where I stand to people who have inspired me and perhaps help others be inspired. I can also play LvB's Für Elise and most of the first movement to the Moonlight sonata, but I have not yet attempted those on video :-) I am now starting to learn polyphonic music with Invention No. 1 by Bach.

Thank you everyone!

Edited by tuncay (Yesterday at 01:45 PM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2320236 - Yesterday at 02:37 PM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Well done, Tuncay, and welcome to the ABF. You play very nicely for the amount of time you described.

One thing that kind of sticks out is that right pinky being "clawed" up when not in use. You are carrying a lot of tension there and eventually that will limit what/how you can play. Good idea to look for ways to correct such things as soon as possible, IMO. (note: I'm just another student, consult with a teacher if at all possible)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2320318 - Yesterday at 07:12 PM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
very nicely played tuncay and great progress for 10 months. However from this to Invention No 1 is a big leap, do not overlook the many good pieces in the notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach that are both enjoyable to play but are also key to building good playing technique and foundation.

#2320348 - Yesterday at 08:48 PM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
Bamburg Offline

Great playing! What piano do you have?

#2320353 - Yesterday at 09:00 PM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
MandyD Offline

Well done, I hope I can play as well as that when I've been playing for 10 months

#2320423 - Yesterday at 11:56 PM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

WOW! Super.

#2320433 - Today at 12:21 AM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: JimF]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: JimF

One thing that kind of sticks out is that right pinky being "clawed" up when not in use. You are carrying a lot of tension there and eventually that will limit what/how you can play. Good idea to look for ways to correct such things as soon as possible, IMO. (note: I'm just another student, consult with a teacher if at all possible)

That pinky things is usually caused by "curling", keeping the other fingers round (usually 4th or even the 3rd). I have had it always. In my case it seems to be impossible to get rid of it completely, because some passages require more curved fingers. My finger joints are extremely hypermobile and to keep the tip stable or even slightly curved requires more muscle work than for normal people. Also some hands are shaped such, that to keep the 4th away from the keys may require some extra lifting of the 5th. Just like yours my 4th likes to go under my hand and I cannot always get it straight even if I try. If straight it tends to hit the black keys when not supposed to because I cannot lift it much. People's tendons are attached differently and that affects the playing style. I've seen some very advanced pianists, even professionals have such a pinky occasionally.

At some point I specifically tried to avoid that pinky thing and ended up with a lot of tension problems. My teacher just tells me to ignore it in such cases. We usually try a little bit if I can do it differently and if not, then just let it be. So if it's completely involuntary and doesn't cause tension problems I would advice not to try too hard to avoid it completely until assessed by a teacher. Rather try to keep the feeling of the pinky side of the hand being stable and when you can avoid letting the pinky knuckle droop.

EDIT:
I noticed you are having lessons, so I'm sure your teacher will assess this when necessary.

And nice playing indeed!

Edited by outo (Today at 03:11 AM)

#2320462 - Today at 01:54 AM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Welcome tuncay, you're doing great!

I think that with or without a teacher one has to find their own way of moving their hands on the piano, the one that suits them better. Maybe you could try to sit a bit higher, experiment with different body and arm positions.

Hope you will join the next online recitals!

#2320463 - Today at 01:57 AM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
That's really well done. Great job!

#2320485 - Today at 04:37 AM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: AZ_Astro]
tuncay Online   content

Originally Posted By: JimF
Well done, Tuncay, and welcome to the ABF. You play very nicely for the amount of time you described.

Thanks! Yep, I notice that, and all other sorts of tension when I am playing that I am trying to ease with different finger practices.. It's hard though, thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
very nicely played tuncay and great progress for 10 months. However from this to Invention No 1 is a big leap, do not overlook the many good pieces in the notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach that are both enjoyable to play but are also key to building good playing technique and foundation.

Thank you! I can also play Für Elise and the 1st Mvmt of the Moonlight Sonata for the most part as I wrote, my teacher decided that it's time for polyphony! :-) We'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: Bamburg
Great playing! What piano do you have?

Thank you! It's a Yamaha NU1.

Originally Posted By: MandyD
Well done, I hope I can play as well as that when I've been playing for 10 months

Thanks! I am sure anyone can do better than me if they practice enough. I have short fingers, I have no prior experience in any instrument, etc etc. The only advantage I have is I love it, so I practice every day if I am at home.

Originally Posted By: Whizbang
WOW! Super.

Thank you!
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Welcome tuncay, you're doing great!

I think that with or without a teacher one has to find their own way of moving their hands on the piano, the one that suits them better. Maybe you could try to sit a bit higher, experiment with different body and arm positions.

Hope you will join the next online recitals!

Thank you! I don't know what the online recitals are but will look.

Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro
That's really well done. Great job!

Thank you!

#2320489 - Today at 04:46 AM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Thank you! I don't know what the online recitals are but will look.

our online recitals are held every three months in February, May, August, and November, here on the PW Adult Beginners Forum. The August one sits a few posts above your one of the front page giving links to peoples playing of a wide range in capabilities. Having missing the August deadline why not aim for November.

#2320498 - Today at 05:49 AM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
MandyD Offline

As a first time recital person (August) who's only been playing for a couple of months I can tell you that everyone is soooo encouraging and very nice with their comments. I never in a million years thought I'd ever do a piano recital of any sort, but now I can't wait to participate in the next one. If your interested there is also a Schumann recital which will be in March, however I don't know what the difficulty of the works that are left are?

#2320517 - Today at 07:54 AM Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Tuncay --

That's very nice playing! Thank you for posting it.

One suggestion, maybe:

I think that you're recording using the video camera's microphone. You might get better results -- cleaner sound, better balance, no background noise -- if you could record from the piano's "Line Out" or "headphone" jack. [I remember that the NU1 had limited connectivity, but I'm pretty sure it has a headphone jack.]

We have had some discussions about that in the "Digital & Synths" forum, recently, if you need technical information.

Thanks again --

. Charles

#2320560 - 6 minutes 31 seconds ago Re: Beginner inspired around here - playing some Bach [Re: tuncay]
Dennis in Canada Online   content

Loc: Duclos, Québec, Canada
Tucany,

You play amazingly well for having played only 10 months. Keep it up.

It is a pleasure hearing you.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (ando, Abby Pianoman, anotherscott, Alex75001, 42 invisible), 1355 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157086 Topics
2306871 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
53 minutes 23 seconds ago
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
Today at 01:37 AM
Toccata Boogie -- piano solo
by Axtremus
Today at 01:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission