Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2316017 - 08/15/14 05:36 PM PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio
Banzai_Ed Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend:

Could anyone share your configuration for PianoTeq, including:
Computer
Sound card
Monitor
Keyboard
etc...

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2316062 - 08/15/14 08:20 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Mine is very simple: A cable converting midi in/out to USB. This is hooked to a Mac Book Pro. Headphones are plugged into the Mac.

DP is a Kawai ES 100.

Mike

103 year old Schmoller and Mueller
Slightly newer Kawai ES 100

#2316067 - 08/15/14 08:43 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Keegan Offline

Loc: Canada (Ottawa, ON)
Computer - 15inch Macbook Pro 2010 2.4 GHz i5, Intel SSD, 8GB ram.

Sound card - Older M-audio Fast Track Pro.

Monitor - I use a pair of Bose QC15 mostly. Compared to my AKG 702 I actually prefer the Bose with Pianoteq - I like the way the sound is colored by them. I prefer the AKG for listening to music though.

Keyboard - Kawai CA-65. Bought this piano 100% for the action only, don't care about anything else about it including the onboard sounds and speakers. The Kawai GF action is hands down the best money can buy for a "digital piano" action in my opinion.

Etc...- Pianoteq runs flawlessly with all effects (Reverb, sympathetic res, max polyphony, etc.) on, and at a good volume. It never clips or overloads on me while playing advanced repertoire.

#2316069 - 08/15/14 08:48 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Mike407]
Keegan Offline

Loc: Canada (Ottawa, ON)
Originally Posted By: Mike407
Mine is very simple: A cable converting midi in/out to USB. This is hooked to a Mac Book Pro. Headphones are plugged into the Mac.

DP is a Kawai ES 100.

Mike

^^^ This really is the easiest way ^^^

I've complicated my setup a little by adding the Fast Track Pro between my MacBook and CA-65, but I prefer to have the headphones come out of the Fast Track Pro and leave it perched on my DP. I also only have to plug one thing back into my MacBook every time I take it away from my desk (every other day). Small detail, yes, but I appreciate it.

#2316086 - 08/15/14 10:30 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

The Mac Book Pro is excellent for this use. I have the 13". I read about latency, clipping, poor sound cards and almost didn't bother with pianoteq. The first time I plugged it all together, it just worked. Tons more volume than the DP alone through speakers or the headphones and very acceptable sound.

It's not an acoustic, yet. Remember the film and digital camera debates? The day will come, especially for someone like me who is simply a hobby musician.

#2316113 - 08/16/14 01:05 AM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Audio cable from laptop to piano input. USB midi out from piano to laptop. Headphones are used from the piano if necessary. Otherwise onboard speakers suffice. AS104ALL for latency elimination. Yamaha DGX650.
If you want to hear really good software set ups, get thee over to Adult Beginners forum and listen to the first two submissions of Recital 35. Both done on inexpensive pianos. Tremendous. The best I`ve ever heard.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2315623

Edited by peterws (08/16/14 01:08 AM)

""

#2316237 - 08/16/14 12:38 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Banzai_Ed --

My own setup:

Casio PX-350;

M-Audio "UNO" MIDI-to-USB adapter;

Acer laptop, Windows 8, Intel "core i5" CPU, 4 GBytes RAM (a middle-to-low-end laptop, cost about $500, one year ago), in "high performance" mode, with WiFi disabled.

laptop's built-in soundcard w/ ASIO4ALL driver;

Headphones (Shure SE215 or Sennheiser HD280), or (when my wife permits it)
. . . . Behringer 802 mixer and EV ZXA1 loudspeaker.

I had some latency problems, but they're all fixed. The "hum problem" I had with "MIDI-over-USB" (from the PX-350) has disappeared since I started using the M-Audio MIDI-to-USB adapter.

I was surprised that it was so easy. [That's after chewing my fingernails and getting help on the Pianoteq forum!<g>]

If you look through the Pianoteq online forum, you'll see that people are using all kinds of keyboards, all kinds of computers, and generally getting good results. One of the popular keyboards is the Casio PX-150 -- a "biggest bang for the buck" setup.

. Charles

#2316268 - 08/16/14 02:52 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
stamkorg Offline

I use a 5 years laptop, dual core i5, 4 Gb of RAM, os Tango Studio (linux) and a Focusrite 6i6 soundcard.
I own my Roland hp507 to pilot Pianoteq and the sound returns from the soundcard inside the hp507 amplification and speakers.
For me it sounds fine, way better than the the internal sound of the Roland.

#2316408 - 08/16/14 11:22 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Marcos Daniel Offline

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
I run Pianoteq on a laptop with AMD Turion X2 @2,2 GHz, 4Gb of RAM, M$Window$ 7.

My keyboard is a Kawai Cl-35 (no note off speed, so I deactivate key release note) connected through a MIDI to USB cable.

Soundcard: ESI UDJ6 (USB), but I could not make it work properly (pops, cracks, etc) so I use the onboard soundcard with ASIO4ALL (I turn off wifi, webcam, modem, and whatever I don't use because there is something that interferes with audio). In fact I bought the external ASIO soundcard because I believed that it would work better than the on board one.
I've made some tests with Ubuntu Studio (live CD) and it seems to work well with both external and internal soundcard, but I haven't sit down to install it.

I don't have studio monitors, only use headphones (Sony MDR V700 and Extreme Isolation EX29).

#2317504 - 08/19/14 10:08 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

I don't want to steal the thread but it seems stalled anyway.....

My setup was simple: midi in/out to Mac Book Pro and headphone to Mac. Local control is off.

If I enable local control, what's coming thru the speakers? Pianoteq or the ES100? What I'm getting at is, can I send pianoteq to the speakers and thru the headphones at the same time (they are open headphones)..

If I ever get monitors, then the pianoteq sound would come thru the piano speakers and the monitors, which might be interesting.

Edited by Mike407 (08/19/14 10:09 PM)

#2317532 - 08/19/14 11:56 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Mike407]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
If I enable local control, what's coming thru the speakers? Pianoteq or the ES100?

The ES100 speakers? This is the ES100's sound, not Pianoteq.

What I'm getting at is, can I send pianoteq to the speakers and thru the headphones at the same time (they are open headphones)..

The ES100 does not feature any Line In connectors, therefore it is not possible to route the sound from your laptop and out through the ES100's speakers.

If I ever get monitors, then the pianoteq sound would come thru the piano speakers and the monitors, which might be interesting.

If you use monitors (connected to your Mac), the sound produced by the monitors will be Pianoteq, while the sound produced by the ES100's speakers will be the ES100.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2317617 - 08/20/14 07:46 AM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Kawai James]
Mike407 Offline

James,

Thanks - you explained it well.

Yes, it's an ES100. I'm not complaining as this all works great - I just don't understand why Midi In is used when I'm only only sending out to the notebook. Is this so that I can run a separate external midi device into the system via the Mac Book?

Mike

Edited by Mike407 (08/20/14 08:03 AM)

#2317625 - 08/20/14 08:23 AM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Mike407]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I just don't understand why Midi In is used when I'm only only sending out to the notebook. Is this so that I can run a separate external midi device into the system via the Mac Book?

The MIDI IN connector is really for controlling (i.e. playing) the ES100's sound from another MIDI device, such as a different keyboard, or a computer running some notation software playing back a piece through the ES100's speakers.

In my case, I play a Nord Electro's sounds from the superior keyboard action of a Kawai MP8II. MIDI OUT from from Kawai, MIDI IN to the Nord - one standard MIDI cable is all that's required.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2317666 - 08/20/14 10:26 AM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

Got it. Thank you.

#2319876 - 08/25/14 11:39 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

So, if I added an audio interface (considering the Scarlett 2i4), I would hook midi in and out to the 2i4 midi in and out, the USB to pianoteq and then run the monitors from the balanced trs ports to the monitors, correct?

The headphones would run from the dedicated headphone port?

Edited by Mike407 (08/25/14 11:40 PM)

#2320150 - 08/26/14 11:12 AM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
FWIW. I'll throw in 2 cents.

I've been running the trial for a while now. Not quite decided what to buy, one of the Ivory II, Vintage D or pianoteq 5. I do get the impression painoteq is very light on CPU resources. I think reasonably modest machines would probably run it fine, as in older gen core 2 duo as well.

Pianoteq doesn't even push my machine enough for speed step to run at the higher CPU frequency I configured in my overclock profile. I barely pushes the CPU to 10 - 20%. Speed step is supposedly not recommended for these kind of audio apps, but it works perfectly for me within cubase LE where I can apply a power scheme from within the DAW and I run pianoteq that way, it then jumps to the overclocked setting of 4.5 GHz I configured. Pianoteq standalone it stays at 1600 Mhz. it flies though, superb latency 1 - 2 Milliseconds smile

I will stick with speedstep, I don't like the idea of my machine always running a high power and overclocked that high, when it is simply not needed on desktop for everyday use.

Here is my setup
Home build components i7 3770k overclocked to 4.5 GHz.
16 GB DDR3 RAM
US-366 Tascam audio interface configured at 96 KHz 24 bits audio rate asio4all drivers with Cubase 6 LE which run the pianoteq trial ( standard edition ).

Sony headphones ( model number at home, but it is fairly decent) or I use my old vintage Hi-fi amp with some old wharfedale speakers ( to be replaced with some studio monitors at some point, but the old vintage Hifi works surpisingly well producing a nice warm sound I like smile

In a side note the Pianoteq trial is growing on me not liking the sound at first. Interestingly the sound I have configured now is much like what peterws pointed to in his earlier post in the adult beginner forum recordings, so I guess I must have done something in the right direction.

I love the idea of a modelled piano taking up so little space and how it responds to playing. Just the sound has not fully converted me yet. I like it, but I don't love it i the best way I can put it. Without quite being able to put my finger on why exactly, ( Too sterile perhaps ?? )

On the other hand some of the recordings I hear from the vintage D or Ivory sounds is more pleasing to my ears, to me at least that is. Furhtermore some of the piano presets in the trial sound so thin, awful was the word that came to mind to start with on some of them , but the D4 with some tweaking I like now.

I've only been playing 3 months so I know nothing anyway laugh

I may just to have to try that online service and book a slot to try ivory II and the vintage D to make up my mind what to save my pennies on.

Sorry for the off-topic pianoteq opinion, but at least the PC specs and setup work great if it is of any use. smile

Edited by Alexander Borro (08/26/14 11:14 AM)

#2320212 - 08/26/14 01:37 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
lolatu Offline

My set-up:

Code:
PC / Pianoteq <-[USB]--> UR22 Audio interface ---[Line]--> CA95 --> Headphones
                                 ^            <--[MIDI]--> 
                                 |
                                  --[Line]--- Phone dock 

I got the audio interface because I was getting too much noise / interference from the sound card, but it's also handy because Pianoteq knows to route its output through the interface, while other programs route sound through the PC speakers, as normal, so there's no need for plugging/unplugging cables each time I want to use it.

Having the sound coming out of the CA95 means I can turn off Local Control and use the Pianoteq output as I would any other sound on the instrument.

The phone dock is cool because I can put it on top of the piano and play along with YouTube videos / downloads, with the sound routed into the piano (using either Pianoteq or internal sounds).

I'm not using my studio monitors at the moment... they're in the loft with the FP3. I did experiment with them plugged in addition to the CA95's output, and it sounded much better, but unfortunately I just don't have the space for them.

#2320255 - 08/26/14 03:17 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Is there a 'typical' setup?

Here's mine:

VPC1 --> midi in/out --> PresonusAudio Box --> usb --> Win 7 laptop

I plug headphones into the USB interface.

When I had the Clavinova I tried to pipe the output back through the keyboard's speakers but the result was very unsatisfactory.

Edited by Vid (08/26/14 03:18 PM)

#2320335 - 08/26/14 08:22 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

Worked great. ES100 midi out to Scarlett 2i4 midi in. USB from 2i4 to MacBook Pro. Headphones plugged into front of 2i4. The monitors would plug into the balanced trs ports and connect via XLR, if I had them ( I don't because if I want to play out loud, I have an acoustic piano).

I'm not sure the quality changed but I have more volume. As someone else said, now all I have to do is disable local control, plug the USB cable in, change the MacBook Pro sound to the 2i4 and I'm ready to go. That's a lot easier to do than to type smile

I know I'll add monitors soon but monitors are religious artifacts and can't be rushed smile

#2320342 - 08/26/14 08:39 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

Ok, next question (I hope this helps others as it's sure helping me).

I want to hook monitors to the ES 100 but skip Pianoteq. The audio interface cannot do this without the computer? Do I need to use one of the included apps or does it just work?

#2320346 - 08/26/14 08:46 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Mike407]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I want to hook monitors to the ES 100 but skip Pianoteq. The audio interface cannot do this without the computer? Do I need to use one of the included apps or does it just work?

The ES100 does not have dedicated Line Out audio jacks, however it's possible to achieve similar functionality using the instrument's headphone jack. Use a stereo cable from the ES100 into the LEFT/RIGHT inputs of your audio interface, adjust the levels, and you should be more or less set.

Cheers,
James
x

#2320418 - 08/26/14 11:44 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Mike407]
lolatu Offline

now all I have to do is disable local control, plug the USB cable in, change the MacBook Pro sound to the 2i4 and I'm ready to go. That's a lot easier to do than to type smile

Don't know if Mac is different to Windows, but for me I've selected the audio interface in Options > Devices in Pianoteq. So there's no switching needed, and the PC can continue outputting other sounds to its speakers while routing Pianoteq to the interface. (Also I have the interface permanently connected to the PC, but that might not be possible if you're using a laptop for other things.)

The interface is USB powered so I don't think it'll work if you put the ES100's headphone output into the interface without the computer. You'll have to plug the ES100 directly into the monitors, or get a small (non-USB-powered) mixer.

#2320712 - 08/27/14 03:10 PM Re: PianoTeq typical configuration at home/studio [Re: Banzai_Ed]
Mike407 Offline

Thanks to you both. When I decide on monitors I'll know how to handle them. The 2i4 is a nice unit with the connection capabilities I'll need. The Tannoy 502's have a great price on sale at Guitar Center but I think I need to try several out. I can always start with just one if I really get to like an expensive set.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
09/15/14 12:12 AM
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
09/14/14 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
09/14/14 10:09 PM
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
09/14/14 09:36 PM
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
09/14/14 08:56 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (andriy555, anotherscott, AmateurBob, aesop, 33 invisible), 1208 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157523 Topics
2313847 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission