Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2312973 - 08/08/14 01:24 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Jay Roland]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Well, you can be sure that, assuming these guys at Sam Ash follow through, I'll be trying the F-130R early next week -- and posting a first-hand review here.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2313006 - 08/08/14 02:31 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
The F 130r looks brilliant. The series has come such a long way since the F110, which didn't have SuperNatural sounds or a very good keyboard (the unlamented PHA alpha II)

But this all depends if the PHAIV in the F130r is similar to the PHAIV on the HP504 and HP506.

Edited by toddy (08/08/14 02:34 PM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2313025 - 08/08/14 03:14 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: toddy]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Well, according to Roland's specs, they call it:

88 keys (PHA-4 Standard Keyboard: with Escapement and Ivory Feel)

So I hope it's close!

#2313029 - 08/08/14 03:22 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Yes, me too! It would make it an excellent piano, also quite compact and good looking, at a relatively low price.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2313092 - 08/08/14 05:02 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: toddy]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
Originally Posted By: toddy
The F 130r looks brilliant. The series has come such a long way since the F110, which didn't have SuperNatural sounds or a very good keyboard (the unlamented PHA alpha II)

But this all depends if the PHAIV in the F130r is similar to the PHAIV on the HP504 and HP506.

Its much closer in feel to ITS big brother than the previous version to its big brother. It feels very nice and has an awesome connection to the sound engine.

You will enjoy it.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2313095 - 08/08/14 05:07 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Jay Roland]
Sushi Hammer Offline

I am totally looking forward to this. In fact, if it turns out that I get it...I will make every effort to do a video.

#2313124 - 08/08/14 06:51 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
@Jay:
Can you connect a roland DP without MIDI (almost none of them have a 'normal' midi connector) to another synth or Piano??

#2314170 - 08/11/14 11:37 AM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
Yup.

Use a UM-ONEmkII MIDI/USB Interface in "Tab" mode connected to the USB Port where you put a memory stick in. It'll act as if it were a traditional MIDI out.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2314351 - 08/12/14 12:39 AM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
Starboard Offline

I had the chance today to try an F-130R (current generation PHA4-Standard action) side-by-side with an F-20 (previous generation Ivory Feel-G action). There's been some discussion in this thread regarding the difference between these actions, so I'll weigh in with my opinion.

I'm one of those who likes Ivory Feel-G action (though I can acknowledge its common criticisms as valid) and I'd say that PHA4-Standard feels very similar to it. If you liked the previous generation, you'll definitely still like PHA4-Standard--if you didn't, then I'm not sure if your opinion would be likely to change. It still felt a little "sluggish" to me (a common complaint that I've read about Ivory Feel-G), but I kinda like the feeling of weight that it imparts. I think I personally prefer it over Yamaha's (Arius and early 'P' series with GHS action) and Casio's (Privia line) offerings at similar prices, but I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Worth noting that I have not been able to try Kawai's actions at the sub-$1400 price points and can't offer comparative opinion there. Key-bottoming noise didn't seem significantly different from Ivory Feel-G, but I can't rule out that it may have been a bit quieter.

I like Roland's SN sounds, so no complaints there. If you've liked them or tried them on other models you can expect more of the same from the F-130R. No doubt it will sound much better through headphones than through the tiny built-in speakers.

My pedal opinion is slightly mixed. On the one hand, I love that Roland's left (soft/una corde) pedal is a continuous-state response rather than binary. As far as I know, they're the only ones doing that, and they do it across their whole lineup, RPU-3 standalone pedal unit included. I strongly dislike the binary on-off left pedal in my MP11's F-30 pedal unit, and it's disappointing that (every?) other manufacturers cut this corner. On the other hand, it felt like I had to press down pretty far before the sustain pedal began its response. Once depressed far enough to begin there was plenty of room for graduated partial-sustain playing, but it seemed to me like it took too far to get to the start of the response. Maybe someone with an inclination toward tinkering could find a way to adjust this.

If one likes the action, it seems like it would make a fine choice at its price point.

#2314460 - 08/12/14 10:21 AM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Starboard]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Hi Starboard:

I will be trying out the F-130R later this week. I've not spent much time with Roland pianos in the past. Most of my experience has been with Yamahas, the p105 and currently, the P155, both whose action I've come to dislike as being on the heavy side. The key-bottoming noise has also been an issue which I was hoping would be less with the Roland F-130R.

Since I am comparing Yamaha with the Roland, I'm hoping the difference will be more apparent to me...and most importantly -- to the positive.

I too have wanted to add the Kawai ES100 to the comparison pool, but I can't find any locally. Some folks have recommended I try some available Kawai's locally that have the same action, but I'm a little picky about that. If it's something I have to drive two hours through L.A. traffic to get to, it has to be the exact model I'd consider buying. I wound not test drive an BMW 5 series to decide whether to buy a 3 series -- and vice versa.

Going into a bit more detail on your thoughts about the F130R's action I have these questions:

1) What does everybody mean when they say it's sluggish? Do you mean heavy in comparison to an acoustic?

2) You mentioned that you prefer this type of action. Is that it helps condition your fingers?

Thanks!

Edited by Sushi Hammer (08/12/14 10:22 AM)

#2314654 - 08/12/14 05:49 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
littlebirdblue Offline

For me, the biggest problem with F-120 was a lack of connection between what my fingers were doing and what my ears were hearing. Something wasn't working together. I don't know if that is what people meant as sluggish but something was definitely "ish" and not in a positive way.

If F-130R doesn't have that lack of connection, I'd be really interested.

Starboard, thank you for the feedback on the pedals. It sounds promising.

I'm going to start my lesson again and I get to play on a CX-7. I have a feeling that I'm going to be upgrading around Christmas. smile

#2314670 - 08/12/14 06:31 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Sushi Hammer]
Starboard Offline

Originally Posted By: Sushi Hammer
1) What does everybody mean when they say it's sluggish? Do you mean heavy in comparison to an acoustic?

When I used the word in quotes above, I was referring to the impression that the keys give of being slow to return to neutral position after being pressed and released, and I assume others use the word with a similar meaning. It's very easy to fool one's own senses when evaluating these kinds of subtle effects, so do take my remarks with a grain of salt--for all I know it could be a false impression of slow return imparted by the combination of key weight and various other factors. I just think Ivory Feel-G and PHA4-Standard just have a very different feel from any other digital I've yet played. It's not a bad feel, just noticeably different (and different too from the higher-end PHA4-Concert action on the HP series and RD800).

2) You mentioned that you prefer this type of action. Is that it helps condition your fingers?

I prefer it in a relative sense--if I were personally picking between digital pianos at around this price point (say $1000-$1400ish), I like the F-130R over Yamaha's Arius and Casio's Privia lines. I like Kawai's RHII action, but that doesn't appear until the $1700 range, and I haven't seen any of their lower-end models (ES100/CL26/KDP80/KDP90 all with the AHAIV-F action) in person to have an opinion on them.

Some folks have recommended I try some available Kawai's locally that have the same action, but I'm a little picky about that. If it's something I have to drive two hours through L.A. traffic to get to, it has to be the exact model I'd consider buying. I wound not test drive an BMW 5 series to decide whether to buy a 3 series -- and vice versa.

If it's as long as a two hour drive I can definitely understand not wanting to make that trip, but I'd be confident in basing my opinion of (at least as it concerns Kawai) a key action on a different model with the same spec. I had to order the MP11 blind, but the keys and sound seem just the same as the CA65/CA95/CS10 that I played in person. It can definitely inform your opinion, anyway, so if it's a feasible trip I think you would find value in it. The more first-hand experience you have, the better the choice you can make for yourself.

Please do report back here when you've tried the F130-R. I'll be curious to know what you end up thinking about it!

Edited by Starboard (08/12/14 11:26 PM)
Edit Reason: model number correction

#2314702 - 08/12/14 08:37 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: littlebirdblue]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Originally Posted By: littlebirdblue
For me, the biggest problem with F-120 was a lack of connection between what my fingers were doing and what my ears were hearing. Something wasn't working together.

Woah...that's sounds like a scene from a scary movie. eek

In all seriousness...I think that's a problem with a lot of acoustic pianos I've played. grin

#2314709 - 08/12/14 08:56 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Starboard]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Originally Posted By: Starboard
When I used the word in quotes above, I was referring to the impression that the keys give of being slow to return to neutral position after being pressed and released, and I assume others use the word with a similar meaning.

Wow I'm glad I asked. I was thinking that you perhaps meant that there was a delay between moment you hit the key and when the sound is produced.

I prefer it in a relative sense--if I were personally picking between digital pianos at around this price point (say $1000-$1400ish), I like the F-130R over Yamaha's Arius and Casio's Privia lines. I like Kawai's RHII action, but that doesn't appear until the $1700 range, and I haven't seen any of their lower-end models (ES7/CL26/KDP80/KDP90 all with the AHAIV-F action) in person to have an opinion on them.

I appreciate your elaborating on this. While my own impressions will be shaped by the collective impressions of the pianos I've played, I'm glad you mentioned some of the Yamahas and Casios I've also tried out.

Please do report back here when you've tried the F130-R. I'll be curious to know what you end up thinking about it!

Ha ha...I'm curious about what I'll be thinking about it too!

Edited by Sushi Hammer (08/12/14 08:57 PM)

#2314734 - 08/12/14 10:37 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Starboard]
pwl Online   content

Loc: Bay Area CA
I like Kawai's RHII action, but that doesn't appear until the $1700 range, and I haven't seen any of their lower-end models (ES7/CL26/KDP80/KDP90 all with the AHAIV-F action) in person to have an opinion on them.

Quick correction: The ES7 does have the RHII action - it's the ES100 that has AHAIV-F. (I think you just inadvertently typed ES7 instead of ES100, but I thought I'd make the correction in case anyone might be confused.)

#2314743 - 08/12/14 11:17 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Good catch pwl.

The ES100 and ES6 (predecessor to the ES7) both utilise the same AHA-IV F keyboard action).

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2314749 - 08/12/14 11:28 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: pwl]
Starboard Offline

Originally Posted By: pwl
Quick correction: The ES7 does have the RHII action - it's the ES100 that has AHAIV-F. (I think you just inadvertently typed ES7 instead of ES100, but I thought I'd make the correction in case anyone might be confused.)

Very right you are, and indeed, I did mean ES100 and not ES7. So many models to keep track of! Thanks for the correction--I've edited the post to clarify.

#2314951 - 08/13/14 10:49 AM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Starboard]
Sushi Hammer Offline

On YouTube, I asked Rudi, who did this great review of the F130R, the following question:

Quote:
What is your opinion about the action? For the past year or so, I've been playing a Yamaha P-155 and think the action is a bit heavy. I am considering getting this Roland and I'd like your impressions of the action, especially if you've played the p155 before. Also, I'd like to know what you think of the Roland's old Ivory Feel-G vs. the new PHA4-Standard that's in the F130R.&#65279;

His response was in line with my hopes and expectations:

Quote:
The action is certainly improved over the ivory feel G action, it has a more direct and slightly weightier feel without being too heavy.

I agree on the P155 action being heavy, obviously it's a matter of personal opinion, I must say though that just because an action is "heavier" doesn't mean it plays better.

Just because people are looking for "fully weighted actions" doesn't mean that they need to find the heaviest action out there!

It's all about what you can achieve with it.

All in all the F130 is great piece of gear. I get to play with some serious toys at work so pretty spoilt , but I still really enjoy the F130 :-)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Rudi&#65279;

Edited by Sushi Hammer (08/13/14 02:11 PM)

#2315175 - 08/13/14 09:36 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
Sushi Hammer Offline

I know this this discussion is on the Roland F-130R, but I couldn't resist this. Here's can be done with F-120, the F-130R's predecessor...took me by surprise:

Edited by Sushi Hammer (08/15/14 05:05 PM)

#2316013 - 08/15/14 05:14 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Sushi Hammer]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Here's a review of the F-130 you likely have not seen until now because it was just uploaded today, 8/15/2014.

It's in German, but here's Google Translation of the page this video originally appears on.

#2316047 - 08/15/14 06:58 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Starboard]
lolatu Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for the review, Starboard! The only hands-on opinion so far (bar Roland employees).

I don't feel the demos that we see on YouTube from retailers are much use, because they're totally uncritical and don't evaluate the product alongside others in its class, which is what you need when making a buying decision. They're basically adverts, and certainly shouldn't be called "reviews".

I'm one of those who likes Ivory Feel-G action (though I can acknowledge its common criticisms as valid) and I'd say that PHA4-Standard feels very similar to it.

Ooh... that's a bit disappointing. The F130R has some very welcome features like rhythm accompaniment and a GM soundset, but the main thing holding back the F120, IMO, was the sub-par action. If that hasn't changed much, that's most of the anticipated benefit of the F130R out the window. frown

I don't suppose anyone has diagrams or photos of the F130R action, and similar for the Ivory-Feel G? I can't find any for either action online. It would be good to see what's supposed to have changed.

#2316422 - 08/17/14 12:31 AM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: lolatu]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Quote:
Ooh... that's a bit disappointing. The F130R has some very welcome features like rhythm accompaniment and a GM soundset, but the main thing holding back the F120, IMO, was the sub-par action. If that hasn't changed much, that's most of the anticipated benefit of the F130R out the window. frown

But keep in mind what Starboard later said in reply to my further probing it the new action that is the F-130R:
Quote:
I prefer it in a relative sense--if I were personally picking between digital pianos at around this price point (say $1000-$1400ish), I like the F-130R over Yamaha's Arius and Casio's Privia lines. I like Kawai's RHII action, but that doesn't appear until the $1700 range, and I haven't seen any of their lower-end models (ES7/CL26/KDP80/KDP90 all with the AHAIV-F action) in person to have an opinion on them.

At this point, because the F-130r is not widely avaialble for people to test -- so we're desperately clinging on all that's being said.

But I've pretty much reach every review and every opinion out there. I've watched and listened to every video of someone playing it. Considering all top digital keyboards under $2000, I've come to the conclusion that this is the best successor to my Yamaha P-155.

I have decided to purchase it, and I'm expecting to pick it up early this coming week. Sam Ash offers to take it back with 30 days, if I don't like, so I'm covered.

#2316424 - 08/17/14 12:41 AM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: lolatu]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Quote:
I don't feel the demos that we see on YouTube from retailers are much use, because they're totally uncritical and don't evaluate the product alongside others in its class, which is what you need when making a buying decision. They're basically adverts, and certainly shouldn't be called "reviews".

I think there are exceptions to that:
this Polish site offers a very detailed critique with both positives and negatives.

As well, they've got individual sound samples of: Damper Resonance, String Resonance, Accompaniment tracks, and 3d Ambiance.

As well I think Tim at AZ is pretty much forthright about his likes and dislikes.

#2316572 - 08/17/14 01:40 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Jay Roland]
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Jay Roland
Yup.

Use a UM-ONEmkII MIDI/USB Interface in "Tab" mode connected to the USB Port where you put a memory stick in. It'll act as if it were a traditional MIDI out.

Jay

Hi Jay, thanks for your answer !!
Will this work also in the other direction ?? So if I want to use the sound of a roland, played from another keyboard ??

#2318144 - 08/21/14 01:35 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Phlox]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Just a quick update:

Shipment of my F-130R is delayed. I'm hoping to get it early next week.

Edited by Sushi Hammer (08/27/14 12:53 PM)

#2318189 - 08/21/14 03:08 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
When you get it, bear in mind we need to know about the key actions since there is a dearth of info on that. So you have my permission to delve in there and reveal all to the camera whilst possibly scratching that beautiful red finish thereby invalidating the guarantee. . .:)

Have fun. I,m sure you'll enjoy it!

Edited by peterws (08/21/14 03:20 PM)

""

#2318589 - 08/22/14 01:33 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
Sushi Hammer Offline

Yes, the action is one of the issues I've been most obsessed about, given that the action for my Yamaha p155 has been one of my biggest complaints.

So yes, I give as in-depth a report about it as I can -- once I get it.

#2320453 - 08/27/14 01:14 AM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Sushi Hammer]
tiga Offline

Just a quick update:

Shipment of my F-103R is delayed. I'm hoping to get it early next week.
just to clarifiy.... did you buy F-103R or F-130R ?

#2320667 - 08/27/14 01:06 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: tiga]
Sushi Hammer Offline

F-130R. Typo corrected.

Update: A couple days ago I was informed that tracking said it would arrive yesterday 8/26 to my local Sam Ash.

Breathlessly awaiting confirmation.

While product weight is listed as 76 lbs, delivery rate is close to 100 lbs. Thus, slow freight via Roadway.

Order was placed August 11. Unbelievable. The one thing that it has over over purchasing from Amazon (free shipping for Prime Members) is that I can return it to Sam Ash with 30 days for full refund. I'd rather do that than go through the hassle of shipping it back, as unlikely that would be.

Edited by Sushi Hammer (08/27/14 01:08 PM)

#2320674 - 08/27/14 01:18 PM Re: Opinions on Roland F130R [Re: Laerai]
petes1 Online   content

The F130R looks to be similar to my RD800, but with the addition of speakers and an attached stand. I have recently obtained my RD800 and absolutely adore it. Congrats on your purchase and please let us know what you think of your keyboard after you put it through its paces!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spare parts forTechnics SX-P30 (late 90s)
by T E Bekken
10/01/14 02:00 AM
Notation Question in Ravel
by Anne H
10/01/14 12:52 AM
Viennese Action
by PhilipInChina
10/01/14 12:36 AM
Besides Evenness, Any other tips for good Trilling?
by Paul678
10/01/14 12:15 AM
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
09/30/14 11:24 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (alfredo capurso, anotherscott, 21 invisible), 1197 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157906 Topics
2319064 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission