2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 346 of 540 1 2 344 345 346 347 348 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BrianDX
I think this way after EVERY piece I master enough to pass my teacher's muster. "Geez, what took so long for something that is obviously simple"?

In all seriousness, this type of thinking can be counter-productive to progress. I'm trying hard to eliminate this as much as I can after every completed piece.

I completely agree with this. Adults seem to always be too critical of themselves. As beginners/intermediates I think we forget that each piece brings something new to us. We do not have the breadth of experience to have the technique to handle everything about a new piece. That is why we have teachers!

If you think about kids taking piano lessons, they don't have that internal critical voice, or a specific timetable to get to some level. They just enjoy the journey. I try to adapt that perspective, but my impatience often gets in the way!

My AOTW was having a great lesson, where I felt really "on my game" and played very confidently and pretty much error free in all of my pieces. I love lessons like that. I leave feeling like I have really made progress. It makes up for all the times when it seems that I just cannot get things right!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I've been away for a few weeks, and ....I was having so much fun I didn't even miss my piano! wow.

It was good to get back playing this week and I'm pleased that the pieces I was working on haven't wobbled too much.

I started looking at my Schumann piece for the themed recital - should be very interesting. I have listened to a few youtube videos and the speed at which it is played varies greatly - I'm leaning towards a slower interpretation at the moment, but we shall see!

I'm also working at the "not being so critical of myself" stuff. It is all too easy to set the bar unrealistically high and then be frustrated.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
Swiss MS, Brian & Casinitaly you are so right, I haven't looked at it that way before and as soon as I read what you all wrote something clicked. My 8yo daughter just goes to her lessons does what she has to and when she gets home sometimes she practices some times she just mucks about with making up her own tunes, playing the songs she likes, etc, but she puts absolutely no pressure on herself. She has no expectations, and she doesn't think critically or negativity, she just enjoys. I will have to start acting more like her instead of being so self-critical, even my teacher has said I am too hard on myself. So anyway that is my aim for the week now!

Casinitaly it sounds like you have had a great break and I'm glad to hear you had so much fun.

Last edited by MandyD; 08/27/14 08:25 PM.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
AOTW: I quickly passed the last two stragglers in Faber Level 2, and now I'm 100% in Level 3A. Played and passed "Sakura" in 3A, and earned a sticker for it. No I'm not kidding. I've probably played over 300 pieces during my first year, and only three up until now have earned that rarest of praise from my teacher, "The Sticker". smile

OK if I'm the only adult in this forum who a) gets stickers and b) really enjoys them, then I'm seriously going to hide my head in shame. frown

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Well done BrianDX, 300 pieces sure is a lot, (although I am sure they were of a manageable size), but ideal for us beginners. Exposure to as many different pieces of music as possible is very beneficial to future growth.

My teacher does not give out stickers (that I know off), but I would not be too proud to accept one if she did. Occasionally I get a compliment equivalent of a sticker which really makes my day.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by BrianDX
AOTW: I quickly passed the last two stragglers in Faber Level 2, and now I'm 100% in Level 3A. Played and passed "Sakura" in 3A, and earned a sticker for it. No I'm not kidding. I've probably played over 300 pieces during my first year, and only three up until now have earned that rarest of praise from my teacher, "The Sticker". smile

OK if I'm the only adult in this forum who a) gets stickers and b) really enjoys them, then I'm seriously going to hide my head in shame. frown

LOL, I have to reply to this.

My teacher writes circles on my book when she thinks the piece is done. The bigger the circle the better. For my playing of "The beauty and the beast" I even got petals added to the circle, so yeah no sticker but a big fat flower!!! I was very proud of it.

The fact that I am an adult male, but I merrily play Disney songs and get exited to get flowers drawn on my book should probably be a warning sign, but I actually do not care.

That evening I skipped home, showed my book to my daughter and we compared our books to see who had the better flower (not the same teacher, but same school, it must be endemic).

I hope this will make you feel more "normal". wink

Last edited by lunobili; 08/28/14 01:59 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My teacher insists that I take a sticker every now and then too, for something particularly well done, or lately for overcoming a big problem.

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To earlofmar, malkin, lunobilli; This is another reason why I love this forum. smile

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I love the sticker and flower idea! We adults respond to positive feedback, just like kids do! About a year ago my teacher told me that she was going to start being much tougher on me because she thought I was ready for it. I like the push, but I love the occasional "job well done". I would be happy to accept a gold star on my music!

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results. With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Well done BrianDX, 300 pieces sure is a lot, (although I am sure they were of a manageable size), but ideal for us beginners. Exposure to as many different pieces of music as possible is very beneficial to future growth.

Yes, the 300 pieces consists of everything from four bar exercises to two page performance pieces. There was one "page turner" piece as well, strangely it was in Level 1. There are a few 3+ page pieces in Level 3A. Won't get to them for a while, however.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by SwissMS

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results. With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

Well done SwissMS, I remember you posting a while ago about the exam so it has taken a while. Great news.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! GOOD FOR YOU! You worked very hard and certainly earned your points!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS

With all this talk of stickers, I thought you deserved one for that great test result....

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the sticker, JimF! You made my day. And thanks for the congrats everyone!

Originally Posted by lunobili

The fact that I am an adult male, but I merrily play Disney songs and get exited to get flowers drawn on my book should probably be a warning sign, but I actually do not care.

I'm an adult male and I loooove Disney songs. They are just mostly too hard for me frown

Piano: 1905 Heintzman Upright
Time in: 3 years! Wow!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well done SwissMS!

It does seem like the results took a long time; yet another reason why I will never do exams. The wait would make me crazy!

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@Sand Tiger - Actualy I found myself playing in a "free way" too, recovering old pieces and trying new sounds. Congrats on your 1000 post milestone!
Ragdoll - Too bad about your teacher... Yes, practice on your own. It's te best you can do.
MandyD - Good news!!! Now, you're in the right path to continue working on it.
BrianDX - teachers, teachers....
casinitaly - Welcome back.
BrianDX - Stickers...? Cool! 300 pieces in the first year...? What?
lunobili - My first attempts were Disney pieces. I love it!
SwissMS - WOW! That's the real AOTW. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I've two AOTW:
1st) listen and comment all the Recital #35 pieces. Great stuff.
2nd) At the same time I'm already working on the next piece I'll submit to the next recital. It's a piece I tried to play two years ago without any success. Now, it seems easier and much more musical.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Originally Posted by Donzo
Originally Posted by lunobili

I'm an adult male and I loooove Disney songs. They are just mostly too hard for me frown

Love them too, just wish I could make them sound a bit better when I try playing them laugh

Congratulations smile

Last edited by UKIkarus; 08/29/14 04:22 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results.

Yay, well done you! A very well deserved achievement.

With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

That is quite a breakneck speed! I am sure you will be well capable of it.

I am loving the stickers and flowers, I absolutely agree that adults need positive feedback. I have been known to award my boss a gold star :-)

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results.

Yay, well done you! A very well deserved achievement.

With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

That is quite a breakneck speed! I am sure you will be well capable of it.

I am loving the stickers and flowers, I absolutely agree that adults need positive feedback. I have been known to award my boss a gold star :-)

[Linked Image]
Page 346 of 540 1 2 344 345 346 347 348 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission