Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
116 registered (36251, Aspirant, anotherscott, Artur Gajewski, Anita Potter, 44 invisible), 1447 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2320276 - 08/26/14 04:21 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jazztpt]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: jazztpt
I had a family bereavement last week and as a result I haven't been in a suitable frame of mind to listen so far. I have had a read through the comments and thank everyone for their kind feedback on my piece.

Best wishes Russ.

""

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2320495 - 08/27/14 05:22 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Thank you CarlosCC for your kind words. It wasn't easy at all for me! Although it is a very short piece (the shortest in the Recital by far!). It seems Mozart loved to use a lot of dynamics and surprises. I liked a lot the feeling of the piece. I hope I can find something longer for him that in my level :-)

Yes, I think It is "tough" to control the "eagerness" or "boredom" and keep in steady steps. I always imagine a virtual teacher keep telling me "not good! Repeat!" or "Good! but not enough! Repeat!". I need a harsh virtual teacher, not a nice tolerant one shocked

#2320614 - 08/27/14 11:13 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: EnGee
I need a harsh virtual teacher, not a nice tolerant one
Sounds awful! I'm back to self-teaching now and am softer on myself, more like Jack Nicholson kissing Helen Hunt at the end of As Good As It Gets..."I know I can do better than that!"

#2320637 - 08/27/14 12:12 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
Quote:
peterws
56. Piano primo1. McCartney wrote some thoughtful stuff and this is one such song. You put a lot o' thought ..... good stuff man.

Thanks for the compliment; I actually played the score as written it seemed a little like "empty with the melody alone ....
Page 1 787 The BEATLES THE LONG AND WINDIN

Quote:
JimF
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road Thanks for bringing us this Beatles classic. Nice touch with those accompanying chords. Can’t say as I understand a word of your last couple sentences in the notes, but I enjoyed the music. (Just general questions for anybody – why do we sometimes see these videos come out looking “choppy”? Anyway, thanks for sharing with us Piano Promo 1.

Umm to answer your question, I'm using my Vivitar as a web cam on an older dell laptop, that would account for the skips in the video, the hiss (which you didn't mention is from recording the video in WMM and midi at the same time in Plasma.
I've now decided that I’ll use an extension if I record midi to my desktop to prevent a hiss. .
And I just played a couple single "final bass notes" at the end for effect....

Quote:
Saranoya
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road Interesting. Are you generating all of the sound simultaneously here, or did you mix the strings and bass in after the fact?

I played a digital piano that has layering of two instruments the first was a piano and the second layer was “strings, done and recorded at the same time, you can see me pressing the buttons in the vid I posted along in the recital. See above for midi info.
I really am awed by the midi stuff so I plan to do some more with it ... sometime along in my piano playing........... This time I didn't except for a piece I didn't submit ion this site.

Quote:
Saranoya
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road (to do) Good use of the effects on your digital. The strings hold it all together. Hope you are enjoying the road you are traveling!

Maybe pianowise .......in life,,, I guess that's why it's called "a long and winding road" ......

Quote:
SwissMS
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road I like your subtle use of strings in this. You shape the melody well. Very nice.

Thanks,,,, it is motivating to hear (read).

Quote:
earlofmar
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road A song I have heard all my life and hold in high regard as one of the best Beatle songs, perhaps even one of the best songs of a generation. When done well it never fails to tug at my heart strings and your version achieves that which is a very intimate experience, thank you.

I just read this over and over ,,, well a big thank you

Quote:

TX-Bluebonnet
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road This piece does put one in the mood for reminiscing. I don't usually like songs played at this slow of a tempo, but I think I need to make an exception for this one.

Thanks nice to read positive feedback.

Quote:
AZ_Astro
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road But I could tell you enjoyed playing along with the background. I can hear Paul’s voice singing along, but I found myself hoping to have the melody brought out (pinky finger?) just a little more. Anyway, an excellent effort and thanks for sharing it with us.

Um, I think the recording method distorted the piano sound significantly,,, I recorded midi and the digital output of sound in two programs on the same computer at the same time , I have found a different way since .

Thanks ....

Quote:
barbaram
56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road
A real classic, I imagine this has meaning for many of us. It makes a nice contrast amid so much strictly piano music to enjoy a performance which takes full advantage of the features of a DP.

Thanks but I have ambitions to make and add midi to piano pieces also.......
digital music is awesome ...

Quote:
jotur
56. Piano_Primo 1 – Long and Winding Road – Let’s hear it for Lennon/McCartney! I liked your choice of effects for this piece – the sort of haunting feel you give to it. Well done.

thanks ... kind comments and motivating ...

I did enjoy learning practicing and doing this song, and think that it sounds good with strings .
I know my vids do skip.
Anyway I’ve started on another piece
“Lara’s theme” from Dr. Zhivago which also does play ( in my opinion ) "Grande" with strings ,… (I haven’t decided yet how to do it)..

When I finished this piece (The Long and Winding Road ) though, I called my sister Laura , who works alot and doesn’t play piano to get her opinion ( objective) of the song and my playing ..

The conversation went something like this …..
Me: so do you like it?
Her: well, yeah ,,, but um ,,,
Me : um …what ? not your style? .or don’t like the song?
Her: yeah I like the song,,…………. Well,…….. the video skips …. A lot.
Me: maybe that’s your computer…..
Her: Maybe but,,, I should download it…………… huh?
Me: Yeah, try that ….. it won’t skip.
Her: and well the video sort of looks …. (she paused )
Me: looks what???
Her: well, it looks like a security monitoring camera,,, how are doing this video recording anyway?

I started to laugh and explain that it was a vivitar as a web cam . and why I do it that way ( older computer)

She interrupted and said …

Her: Um,, what’s with the hands ????? Why are you just videotaping your hands playing? It looks ……. sorta strange ,, does everyone do that?............ I mean …..why not show your face and everything ?

Me: Well alot do, I just do that because ….. ( I didn’t know what to say)…
A lull and she broke it by saying

Her: now that you’re working,,, if you’re going to keep playing and recording video ,,, get a new computer,, and camera …. Or use stills .

And that was that …………….

I like it anyway....

#2320727 - 08/27/14 03:44 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
46. BrianDX - Parasailing: Congratulations on your first AB forum recital debut! After hearing your piece, I can see why so many teachers use the Faber books. I like how the piece incorporates important skills (runs, arpeggios, etc.) into a song that’s pretty to listen to and sounds fun to play. Very impressive for ten months!

47. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, 3rd mvmt: Okay, so this was simply stunning. wow I see you actually had been enrolled in a conservatory studying piano for some time, and I can sure tell from how beautifully you played. Thank you for sharing that with us, and I hope you enjoyed your AB recital debut. smile

48. jamie_vt - Allegretto from Symphony No 7: This has to be one of the most beautiful movements in all of classical music, and I didn’t realize there was a solo piano transcription of it. I loved your playing of this; in fact, I listened to your recording three times in a row! I just may have to break down and buy the sheet music myself...

49. EnGee - Overture - The Marriage of Figaro: Congratulations on your first recital submission, and welcome to the wonderful world of piano! I thought you did an excellent job given the short amount of time you’ve been playing, and self-taught to boot! thumb

50. jotur/Cathy Turner - I'ts Been A Long, Long Time: What a catchy piece! I found myself tapping my toe along to your playing. Congratulations on your first big paying solo gig!! After hearing your recital piece, it’s clear to me that it’s well-deserved and the audience will be lucky to hear you. smile

#2320793 - 08/27/14 06:58 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
7. Jazzpt- Beautiful!! Such a sweet tune. Truly "loose" and easy.

8. CarlosCC- Man... I love this!! You have really made it your own. I had to listen again.

#2320850 - 08/27/14 09:32 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
46. BrianDX - Parasailing: Congratulations on your first AB forum recital debut! After hearing your piece, I can see why so many teachers use the Faber books. I like how the piece incorporates important skills (runs, arpeggios, etc.) into a song that’s pretty to listen to and sounds fun to play. Very impressive for ten months!

Thanks! As you said, there are many pieces in the Faber series that build skills and sound really impressive at the same time, without requiring advanced skills for the early beginner.

#2320867 - 08/27/14 10:41 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
Finally found some time to listen

01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand
Nice, balanced playing. You perfectly played my favourite part of this piece, which isn't the ending, but the arpeggio part where it suddenly gets heavy and dark. A bit after 1 minute. Well played!
A lot of music from Final Fantasy is really good. I also like "Tifa's Theme" and "Aerith's Theme" from Final Fantasy VII. I guess the music is so impressive largely because of context. Hmmm...

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20
Sounds very polished and professional. Very well played.(Unlike me grin) You do real justice to Chopin's music. Sensitive and mellow. Well played! You're making excellent progress.
Now I feel like learning this piece as well. So many of the Preludes are excellent pieces. It's almost like we just settle in to listen and the piece ends.

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World
This is my first time listening to this music. I liked it a lot. Especially how it gradually and dramatically builds speed at the middle laugh
I wonder how long it'll be before I can just play by ear and go nuts...

04. ladypayne - How Deep the Father's Love for Us
Very pleasant and soothing music. Thank you for sharing the sheets as well. My favorite part is at measures 42 and 43. That was just awesome! grin

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador
I find this music very nostalgic. It's contemplative and thought provoking. It does indeed sound very refined and polished. Well played.

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183
Interesting piece. It starts of all bouncy and childlike, but it seems to have a lot of depth to it. Interesting, indeed.
The rhythm sounds tricky to play, but you pull it off very well. The rubato sounds good. A very enjoyable performance smile

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose
You sure did let loose smile
It doesn't sound improvised at all. Very skillfully and artistically played. I especially enjoyed the part between 1:25 and 1:30.

08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night
Ah! This is one of those pieces which is gonna be stuck in my head for ages and ages. It is very catchy indeed.
I absolutely enjoy the parts where the accompanyment plays and then the melody starts! Wonderful music. I also enjoyed the part at 1:16. Good stuff!
You play it remarkably well. Sounds professional.

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68)
Bartok's music is so dissonant and different. It's so captivating. I find it very hard to "get" the music, and the more I try to feel it, the further I'm drawn into it .
Well played! Kept me hypnotized from beginning till end. I struggle to keep up with the score with professional recordings. Your's is much nicer that way. I can hear all the notes. This recording will be really useful when I learn these dances.
That being said, I really do enjoy Schiff's recording of the Romanian Folk dances though. Please listen to it if you haven't already.

The rhythm in the first piece sounds really hard to keep track of. The second piece, I would have prehaps played the stacatto parts a bit differently, but I guess thats an interpretive decision. Third piece, well done with the accents. The ending leaves me somewhat unsatisfied, unresolved. Really nice playing! The fourth piece. Triplets sound very well balanced and in rhythm. I would have perhaps enjoyed a bit more dynamic variation.The fifth piece seems quite challenging to play. The tempo and change in time signatures... The sixth is my favourite of the dances. I would have liked it a bit louder and more lively. And the Piu allegro part played a bit faster.
I think you'll enjoy speeding up and polishing these pieces. I'm quite envious grin

10. George Schiro - Dissonance
A very apt name to this piece. Nicely improvised and played. The "rough" edges seem to blend in and make it smooth enough that I definitely wouldn't have thought this is improvised if you hadn't mentioned it. Very impressive.

11. ajames - Old French Melody
This is such a beautiful and haunting melody. After the first phrase, that pause. It makes me expect the music to go one way, but it ends up going somewhere else, and I enjoyed the experience.
Very well played. I would never have guessed this was played by someone who started just over a year ago.

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation)
I like a lot of Yann Tiersen's music. Especially the Amelie soundtrack, it was spectacular.
I listened to both versions. They each sound good in their own way, but if I had to lean one way, I think I'd agree with your wife :P
I think the simplicity of the melody takes it very far. Don't get me wrong, the improvised version sounds really really nice, but... grin

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846
Good choice with no pedal, it sounds good without. With the pedal, the notes get muddy and they overlap and its all cloudy and opaque. Your playing is crystal clear. Nicely done.

More next week.

#2320971 - 08/28/14 05:04 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: zrtf90]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Originally Posted By: EnGee
I need a harsh virtual teacher, not a nice tolerant one
Sounds awful!

laugh Not that much! He/she is a fair teacher though smile

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

49. EnGee - Overture - The Marriage of Figaro: Congratulations on your first recital submission, and welcome to the wonderful world of piano! I thought you did an excellent job given the short amount of time you’ve been playing, and self-taught to boot! thumb

Thanks Monica K. I appreciate it smile I hope I can do better next recital.

#2320979 - 08/28/14 05:29 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
50. jotur/Cathy Turner - I'ts Been A Long, Long Time - Cathy, I wish I could be in the audience to hear you play live. I think you're increasing your confidence, and your experiences are a very good motivation factor for me. Keep doing the good job!

51. MandyD - Beauty and the Beast - MandyD, welcome to ABF recital! After less than 3 months of playing you're in the right path.

52. carlos88 - Preludes, Book 2: Dead Leaves - This is new for me; and this piece is quite sad, yes... I like your expression on this. Good job.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n. 4 Toccata - Alessandra, wow! A real pleasure to listen, and I love the way you control the rhythm along the entire piece - something I'd noticed you're an expert (at our EPP) -. Good job!

54. Ohio_Mark - Schumann_Op68_2_5 - Another example of good tempo control - something I've to work out... -. Schumann can be delicate and "heavy" at the same time, and you can deal with it with ease. Good job!

55. Monica K. - Dark Afternoon - Monica, this is in my "to do list" - as other pieces of Nevue - so I was looking forward to listen your piece. This is very, very good - as usual -. The perfect piece to play (and listen) after a stressful day at work. Good tempo control, good dynamics. Wonderful!

56. Piano_Primo 1 (pianonewbie1) - The Long and Winding Road - Yes, I like the music! Lennon/McCartney could right such deep songs, right? I like the background string(?) sound you added to the piece. Nice job!

57. Greener / Jeff Green - Badinerie - My friend, I'm recalling all the good moments we had together. I can "see" you playing this, and I know the story behind this submission. So, what to say? Just that I'm more convinced that It was a privilege to have a pianist like you playing at my place. Thanks!

58. ShiroKuro - Nuvole Bianche - Ah, Einaudi! I'm in a good position to say something about this piece because I can play it too. So, what I found more difficult was the tempo control. This piece has, at least, 3 different speeds. Add to this the dynamics and the key control, and the result is a difficult piece to play. But, you did it! It's a beautiful and moving piece. I like your touch. Congratulations!

59. TX- Bluebonnet (Linda) - The Yellow Rose of Texas - Linda, I liked your piece. A happy tune, and well played. Good job!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2320985 - 08/28/14 06:18 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks for listening my "Discovery at Night".

A special thank you to Whizbang, barbaram, Monica, SwissMS, dynamobt, peterws, 8 Octaves, earlofmar, zrtf90, TX-Bluebonnet, Mr Super-Hunky, jotur, Allard, JimF, ShiroKuro, piano_primo_1, TheodorN, chopinoholic, zrtf90, Starr Keys, Greener, Saranoya, Peyton, and noobpianist90 for your kind comments.

And a special word for those who work hard to produce one more amazing recital. thumb

@TX-Bluebonnet - "What does it mean to add color?"
> Good question. I felt the piece was turning in a quite "straight piece", so I just added some notes and then I tryed to cut some monotony and repetition by adding some contrast (dynamics, rubato, key strength, and so on). Nothing planned or written; I was just playing the piece and adding some figures to play the music like I was hearing it in my mind. I'm glad you like it.

@ShiroKuro - "I sometimes wonder if it's partly because I'm playing a digital and there's less of the musical texture that lingers when you're playing a big grand(...)"
> It's true. But I play this on a Yamaha digital.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2321387 - 08/29/14 02:16 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TX-Bluebonnet Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Carlos, thanks for the explanation about adding color. I do those things myself on the pieces I play, just not on purpose is all. grin

And a big thank you to everyone who commented on my recital piece. You all sure know how to make a newbie feel welcome. smile

Started my piano journey June 2014 at age 54.
My digital piano: Casio Privia PX-850.
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1
XXXV

#2321442 - 08/29/14 07:26 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Well, I had hoped to plunge into this as soon as I got home, but the fates were against me. Today I have finally had a pleasant time getting started!

My first round!

01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand Hi Jayden, welcome to the recitals! I can see why you like this piece, it is lovely - and flows very smoothly from your fingertips. I'm impressed with what you can do in such a short time! Congratulations!

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20 I have yet to make decent progress on any Chopin - I truly believe that there is no "easy" Chopin. I like your new found insight on this being a straightforward piece smile Nice work on the contrasting dynamics. You have caught the drama and "flavour" of this piece really well.

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World I looked forward to this with great anticipation. From the first chords I was back in the highschool gym, which served as the dance floor....Lights low, mirror ball lights flashing all over the room, and the thrill of a "slow dance".... the faster section took me a bit by surprise, notwithstanding your heads-up in the notes, and then...back to memory lane. Loved your performance Mr. Super-Hunky - and loved my mind-trip to some very special moments in the past. Thanks for that.

04. ladypayne - How Deep the Father's Love for Us Ladypayne, everytime you perform for us I hear a refinement in your touch, a development of technique, more control. I hear your arrangements becoming more confident and richer. Wow. I very much enjoyed this piece - I don't know it,so can't compare it to the original but I like it very much. Brava!

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador Isn't it great when we are inspired by someone else's performance to learn a new piece? I didn't hear Anne H's piece. I can see why you like it! There's a lot in it to make it a rich piece with a real story-telling touch to it. Charmingly played!

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183 Diana! You are making tremendous progress! Your technical development and growth in confidence are really obvious in this piece. Obviously this piece wasn't too hard for you - you were ready for a leap to a new challenge. Complimenti!!!

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose From the title I was expecting a "wilder" piece - this was the opposite - and that's certainly not a problem! This piece is full of feeling, mystery, - it stirs images in my mind - black and white photos, walking on cobblestones on a foggy night, raindrops on the waters of the canal..... streetlights and shadows. Most enjoyable indeed. Thank you.

08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night What a pleasure to be able to listen to you and picture you at the piano in Lisbon! I love how you are so "at one" with the music. You really make it a part of you. Beautifully played Carlos.

09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Up to your usual high standards Wouter - well done! And thanks for the background story - these details always add to the experience. I've never been attracted to playing Bartok's music, but these were fun to listen to.

#2321452 - 08/29/14 08:07 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]

And some thank yous!

Originally Posted By: Jim F
Loved the pictures and the playing, Cheryl. It isn't easy to change gears liked you needed to in each of these little gems. Great job getting these done during your very busy summer. I think they would sound even better recorded without the silent.

Thanks Jim. I would have enjoyed playing them on the acoustic but a) the piano was out of tune, and with being away so much this summer I didn't want to have the tuner in and b) the time I had available for recording wasn't in the "agreed upon time slots" with my neighbour for playing the acoustic. Such is life.

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
This little suite does offer a lot of variety. The three contrasting movements would each challenge you in different ways. You have made great progress on it, and it sounds like you had fun with it. Nice job.

Thanks SwissMS. The last piece was truly a break through for me in terms of focused study. I was having trouble with it and my teacher said "there is no reason you can't play this"...and so...I did! And yes, it was great fun!

Originally Posted By: Jotur
I love the second one – sort of processional, like graduations and weddings. I’m with others – I don’t know how you did this with so little time this summer. I’m fighting the time/emotional drain of busyness, and if you have hints I’d welcome them. These were terrific.

Thanks Cathy! I had the same feeling about the second one. It was tricky getting the practice time in before the recital - and sorry, I don't have any tips, it just came together. In fact I'm in "catch up mode" now trying to get ready for my first lesson of the year which will be in about 2 weeks. My teacher thinks I've had almost three months of practice time, but I've been away from home/with company for more than a third of that!!! ack!

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I had considered playing a Gurlitt piece I have been learning this recital and had noted he had never appeared before. I don’t know why that is, obviously he is underrated, so congratulations on being the first to share one of his marvellous little gems with us.

I was certain that I'd heard Gurlitt in a recital - but maybe it was in the Piano Bar. It was either LadyPayne or her sister Augustina who played "The Fair" and drew my attention to his work a few years ago. I think he has a lot of pieces for pre-intermediate and intermediate players. Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet
I loved it, especially the first movement. And the vacation photos were a treat to look at.

I'm delighted! Thank you!

Originally Posted By: outo
Never heard this before. A multi movement work, which you handle very well. Talking about false starts...I seem to do those every time... It's becoming a bad habit, like I need them to get focused.

Did you use the midi connection from your silent piano? I've tried that but midi seems to always sound unnatural and lacks smoothness however I play. I'd love to hear you play this on the acoustic mode...

Thanks Outo! It is hard to get focused for more than one piece, but practicing them as a set certainly helped. As for the silent system recording, I don't know if it is actually midi or not, I just plug the jack into the silent outlet and into the computer and record. I'd love to play it in acoustic mode too - maybe after the upcoming tuning I'll do it again!

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
lovely and listenable suite very nicely played - your growing assurance is increasingly noticeable - patience & persistence will pay off big time and sooner than you think - outstanding presentation with the accompanying pics too!

Thanks TrapperJohn! This year has been one of trying to be persistent and the patience was lacking here and there, but ...as you say, a bit of both will get you there in the end! Thanks for the encouragement! Glad you liked the photos too!

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
The vigorous part playing in the middle movement shows your development from the Fughetta from last time out and the increased length is a test of your concentration and musical stamina. I know you've been short of regular practise from your recent travels but the new academic year starts soon and you may be able to settle back into a more regular routine. Der Dichter Spricht is coming just at the right time for you to handle a cantilena with longer phrases and more demanding dynamic control in the left hand, a piece where you can spend more time on the musical and interpretive demands and less on the technical.

Thanks for such detailed feedback and encouragement Richard! The second movement was actually quite difficult for me to conquer. I generally play very delicately and it was hard to become so bombastic--- but fun! I've started looking at Der Dichter Spricht and already have found some lovely little challenges - I'm very much looking forward to getting it under my fingertips and letting it sing!

Originally Posted By: Barbaram
The contrasts between movements in this suite makes for a very nice listening experience. You’ve done a lovely job with this. I think the third movement was my favourite, but all worked very well.

Thanks Barbaram, I had a bit of a love/hate relationship going with the third movement, but in the end, love conquers all! Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted By: Monica K
Very nicely played, especially in light of the fact you were aiming for the live recital vibe and playing through glitches. I think my favorite was the third movement. And I enjoyed greatly your pictures of Italy/Switzerland in the video.

Thanks Monica - it was hard to stop and not go for another, better (I would have hoped) take, but at this point in time it was important to me to NOT continue recording. Glad you enjoyed the visuals too!

Originally Posted By: Mr. Super Hunky
Sounds like you are certainly making sigh-treading progress Cheryl. I thought the piece was over and then...BAM, the second movement. Very confidently done.

Thanks Mr. Super, this was indeed a piece for building confidence - especially the second movement! My reading does continue to improve, I'm happy to say - it certainly makes things easier as they become more fluid. I've never had too much trouble reading the treble clef, but the bass was new to me when I started piano!

Originally Posted By: Piano Primo 1
nice slow song , well played, the beginning reminded me the Beatles “Blackbird”

Thanks - that's an interesting reminder - I have to check it out!

Originally Posted By: Dynamobt
It is a major accomplishment to finally get pieces you’ve worked hard on. A better sustain would hold this together better. But that’s not you. It’s your instrument. Lots of little counter activity going on in each hand. Not easy to master!!

Thanks very much Dynamobt - it was indeed very satisfying! Of course I know I can still improve, but the progress from where I started is very encouraging.

Originally Posted By: Peyton
very enjoyable! I love the accompanying pictures too.

Well, that makes me happy ! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Greener
Very nice to see you here, Cheryl and glad you were able to make it. I felt crunched too, but was not nearly as challenged as you I think, from the sounds of your itenerary. This is a great piece. I love simple, smart harmonies. It is coming along very well and a lovely piece. Thank you for sharing it.

Hi Greener - I was wondering if I was going to make it... seriously considered skipping this one, but then felt I would really regret it --- I'm glad you enjoyed the piece.

Originally Posted By: Shirokuro
Great job Cheryl! I'm not familiar with this piece, but I have this book, and your playing has motivated me to look for this piece. As you say it might be somewhat easy overall, but it has its challenges and you managed them very nicely. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks so much Shirokuro! I think it is really wild that my playing prompts someone else to give the piece a try! I appreciate your encouragement!

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
Thank you for introducing me to this music, Cheryl! smile. It doesn't always have to be complicated to be a nice listen.

You're welcome Saranoya! ...good thing it doesn't have to be complicated, because my fingers don't do that ! smile

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
After being jolted awake by a magnitude 6.0 earthquake this morning, it was very calming for me to listen to this tranquil piece and view your lovely slideshow. It allowed me to substitute the memory of peacefully gliding on the water in Venice for shaking in my bed while clutching my husband in terror, so I'm especially grateful to you for choosing it and taking the time to play it well and to share your gorgeous photos with us.

Starr Keys, I know what it is like to wake up to an earthquake, though not such an intense one. I can easily imagine your terror. I am so very glad that my piece helped calmed your nerves and that the pictures were soothing.
I hope you and yours are all safe and sound after the quake.

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Cheryl, I was looking forward to listen my first Gurlitt piece smile . I like the variety of pieces you bring for this recitals, which reveals your huge capacity (and high skills) to deal with so many composers - I don't know how you do it! -. This piece is quite beautiful, and you managed to keep it spirit along the entire work. Nice photos, too. Very good!

Hi Carlos! Thank you! I have to say that I really enjoy playing works by many different composers. Each one offers a different challenge, and I learn a lot in the process. When I was in high school I played bass clarinet in the concert band and we played everything from Bach, to Beethoven to Shastakovitch, to Broadway musicals - it was a great introduction that set me up for a life-time of enjoyment.

Thanks- albeit somewhat belated, to all the organizers, in particular Monica, for another great opportunity to share and experience so much great music.

#2321461 - 08/29/14 08:48 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Here is my first batch of comments. Lots of nice music to listen to.

01. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - To Zanarkand

Your performance is very clean and transparent. I’m impressed that you could do this after just 7 months of study. I look forward to your contribution for the next recital.

02. earlofmar - Prelude Op. 28. No. 20

This is a piece I played myself when I started with the pump organ (must have been 54 years ago). You play much better than I did. Excellent dynamic contrast. It was very nice to hear this piece again.

03. Mr Super Hunky - Color My World

This is very exiting music. Particularly I liked the parts with the broken chords. The performance sounded flawless to me.

04. ladypayne - How Deep the Father's Love for Us

You really made a fine job with the arrangement of this melody. I also enjoyed your sensitive way of playing.

05. AZ_Astro - Troubador

A wonderful tune with exiting harmonies. You play with great sensitivity and precision. I really enjoyed listening.

06. sinophilia (Diana) - Minuet from Serenade no. 1 Op. 183

I hardly heard about Reinecke, but really liked this music. If I didn’t have any information I would have believed that this was a transcription of some opera duetto. You manage beautifully in your effort to give the right character to the music. And I can hear that you got the pedaling right.

07. Jazztpt (Russ) - Let Loose

Wow, I’m impressed! So many exiting harmonies. Great composition and played with elegance. Thanks for sharing this.

08. CarlosCC - Discovery at Night

This music requires very conscious playing otherwise it can be quite boring. I think you succeeded very well in coloring the music and adding the necessary “flavor” to it. In this way you made the piece interesting and enjoyable to listen to.

Studying these pieces up to the level you did, requires a lot of effort. I know that some of them are quite intricate technically, and they also require great musicality. I enjoyed your performance very much, and I don’t think you should worry about the tempo. It sounded fine to me.

10. George Schiro - Dissonance

Lots of creativity in this original piece. It contains some technically difficult passages including polyrhythmics, but I think you handled everything very well.

11. ajames - Old French Melody

I’m impressed that you can play this piece so well after just one year of studying. You have captured the right mood of the piece and play without any audible mistakes. Great job!

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation)

This music sounds pretty difficult technically. But you possess the necessary skills to overcome the difficulties and still play with emotion and sensitivity. It was nice and relaxing to listen to it.

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846

Fine performance of this prelude! You manage to play legato without using the pedal, and this gives the right character to the piece. You have captured the mood of this piece and I really enjoyed listening to your playing.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow

I have heard many versions of this song, and I don’t always like the way it is arranged. But you have chosen an arrangement which I think is very much in line with the composer’s intention. I enjoyed listening to your playing.

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I

This was very enjoyable to listen to. Excellent tempo and fine phrasing! Particularly I noticed your detached left-hand notes. Very elegant performance!

16. 8 Octaves - Sonatina in F Major, 1st Mvmt.

I hardly ever heard a Beethoven sonatina, but I can hear that this is very fine music. You bring out the voices very clearly and phrase very nicely. I enjoyed listening very much.

17. JimF - Its All in the Game

First of all I noticed that you make the piano sound very beautifully. You are not just pressing the keys, but manage to make some really good music. Your performance made me relax and I enjoyed every second of it.

18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair

This piece isn’t simple at all. Chords are large and it is crucial to tie them together without using the pedal too much. I think you succeeded in this and enjoyed your performance very much.

19. noobpianist90 - Mazurka in A minor Op. 67 No. 4

I really love this music, and enjoyed the way you played it. Nice and flowing passages and fine rubato. Thanks for sharing!

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8

I know how difficult this piece is and I think you should be very satisfied with your performance. The balance between the two voices is good all the time, and you keep even speed throughout the piece. Well done!

#2321476 - 08/29/14 09:34 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Time to thank all who commented on my piece! I really appreciate that, and that you put up so well with my technical shortcomings wink

I'm sorry I only commented on a couple of pieces, but about most of the submissions I can't really say anything besides "great job". I had the impression that this was a very non classical recital. By now I know a little bit about most of the participants and it's so nice to listen to the pieces and know who's playing and something of his/her piano story. The list of my favorites keeps growing smile

#2321539 - 08/29/14 12:50 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
8 Octaves - I'm no expert, but it seems like you accumulated some very impressive technical prowess after only five years as an adult beginner. Such clear articulation and dynamic control and independence of both hands--the thought of playing without pedal terrifies me but I know its the real test of these skills. You should be very proud of what you've achieved.

RedKat - My husband's favorite song from my husband's favorite movie! Definitely one worth memorizing!! I loved the syncopation and dark Latin flavor. I am working on an exercise with the chords to a verse of a Michel Legrand song with syncopated 4-chord voicings in the left hand and changes in the rhythm of the right hand melody and I know its not as easy as you make it look, especially when the a chord changes come a little faster. You succeeded in meeting the challenge and played it beautifully. I don't like using sheet music much anymore, but this one's definitely a keeper. Do you know where I can get it?

#2321551 - 08/29/14 01:34 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

IO think I forgot the last 3 postings . . .remember playing them and writing, but can`t find them. So he we go . . silly ole me

Greener, Jeff.

You do a great Bach, really. Love this one. Reminds me of a sax player who played it as jazz. Cool, man. I do find Bach very difficult. Wonderful technical exercises.

Shiro Kuro

Well played. Einaudi just needs a female singer (or violist) toi soar over this wonderful accompaniment. Like Rihanna (or Nigel Kennedy) . . . I`d recommend the girl . . .Lovely job man. I`m going to go there . .

TX Bluebonnet Linda

Great progress from you, young lady. Tempo solid as a rock and nicely sounding to boot. Only 2 and a half months to the next recital. See you there!

Here Endeth this evening`s typing (I use the term loosely . . .) Have fun. smile

Oh, and whilst I`m still around, many thanks for the comments. . . much appreciated. SEE YOU SOON!

Edited by peterws (08/29/14 01:38 PM)

""

#2321663 - 08/29/14 05:58 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]

My second batch! What a lovely time I've had this evening with these performances!

11. ajames - Old French Melody I love it when one performance inspires another! Your rendition is charming! I can picture elegant dancers in 17thC costume and powdered wigs. Lovely.

12. Peyton - Mother's Journey (with added improvisation) I like Tiersen very much and was delighted to see him on the program for this recital! - I wonder what kind of journey the mother was on? I listened to your version with improv (watched the video actually - Interesting jazzy aspect you added there. Most enjoyable!

13. Plowboy - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 Ah, Bach. I love this piece. It is on my "must play" list. Thank you so much for sharing this performance!

14. Riddler (Ed) - Over The Rainbow Ed, what a lovely performance. This piece (ah, here I can say song!) holds a special place in my heart, as I am sure it does for many of us who grew up with the film. You really captured the bittersweet longing inherent to it. I really loved your playing!!!

15. dynamobt/Marilyn - Prelude in d minor No 6 WTC Book I Delicious! Wonderful energy and articulation - lovely interweaving of the voices. A real treat to sit back and enjoy!

16. 8 Octaves - Sonatina in F Major, 1st Mvmt. Charming! I have this music but I've limited myself to reading it so far, I haven't even tried playing it. You did a great job keeping it well balanced and smoothly flowing - and good for you going for the one take recording! Well done indeed.

17. JimF - Its All in the Game I am not familiar with this piece - thank you for the introduction! You're really letting your piano sing here and you have the tone and feel for the period of this piece down beautifully. What a lovely composition. I can see why it appealed to you. It was very easy to relax and enjoy the flow of the music. You must be so very pleased with your progress! Beautifully done! Complimenti Giacomo, bravissimo!

18. peterws/peter - The girl with the flaxen hair Is your dog going out as goal keeper for Manchester United? The video was amusing - the music was super - great job Peter, really enjoyed it.

19. noobpianist90 - Mazurka in A minor Op. 67 No. 4 I always read the notes before I listen and I always wonder what I'm going to hear when someone says "it's a work in progress". One could say that all pieces are WIPs, - this was certainly more refined and elegantly presented than your notes lead me to expect! Congrats on going with the one take. That's not always an easy decision. I very much enjoyed your performance.

20. barbaram - Bach Invention No. 8 More Bach! Hurray! These inventions delight me. I hope one day to be able to play them! I felt quite joyful listening to your performance - well done, well done indeed!

#2321726 - 08/29/14 09:47 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
8 Octaves - I'm no expert, but it seems like you accumulated some very impressive technical prowess after only five years as an adult beginner. Such clear articulation and dynamic control and independence of both hands--the thought of playing without pedal terrifies me but I know its the real test of these skills. You should be very proud of what you've achieved.

Thanks so much for your kind words, but I cannot take credit for my playing nor am I too terribly happy with it, but being self-critical is typical for adults, perhaps. My teacher Rachel Jimenez has made learning fun and rewarding, but most importantly I'm grateful that as a teacher she has not lowered her standards or expectations because I was already 43 when I started piano. I only hope one day I could play some of the advance pieces I hear from so many of you on the recital. You inspire me to keep working at it.

#2321782 - 08/30/14 02:04 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The dog drops the ball a few feet from me which gives her time to get back into position between the "goalposts" . . .that's all she wants to do all day, inside or out. She doesn't let many in!

""

#2321803 - 08/30/14 06:03 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]

I've just spent a very pleasant morning listening to the third set - what a great way to start the day!

21. outo - Souvenir op 99 nr 3 What an intriguing piece - it sounds like it is telling a story - and "Souvenire" is after all "remember" in French....it conjurs up all sorts of images, a sense of loss and longing - beautifully played. My compliments to you Outo!

22. WimPiano - Schumann - Op. 68 No. 3 - Trallerliedchen (Humming Song) I have this piece in one of my books but haven't tried it. It is quite charming! It reminds me of N.1 in Op 68, Melodie, but with more depth. You've played it with lovely delicacy.

23. timmyab - Allegro in G minor Handel is right up there in my group of favourites! This is beautifully played Timmy, your instrument is very well suited to this sort of music. You've got an excellent technique for the baroque style and your ornaments were particularly graceful. Lovely performance!

24. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Little Suite It is always strange to listen to your own performance after the fact. I can hear way too much tension and force in parts of my first movement, that's to work on for sure! Laughing at myself when I hear the glitches, but pleased I just played through. Happy with the dynamics on the second movement. It was hard for me to be so agressive - but also great fun once I got into it. The third movement is, in a way, my favourite, simply because it was so hard to get under control and so satisfying in the end. There are still things to improve, but aren't there always?

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") oh. wow. TJ you have outdone yourself! You have truly captured the dual nature of this piece, the underlying darkness, the brighter innocence - and you've woven them together in perfect balance. your bass is simply gorgeous - Brilliantly done. You should be justifiably proud of your performance - this is a real gem. I'm blown away.

26. dpaws - Searchlight Rag The first thing I am going to say - even before listening to your piece is ...... don't bother highlighting your errors. By all means acknowledge there are some, but by pointing out exactly where to listen for a mistake, you get us focused on that before we even hit the play button! I'm betting that there are mistakes in every single submission to this recital and a small percentage get noticed. .....We're not here to pick apart every error - just let us listen and enjoy the overall performance! ...and so: I may have heard this rag in the Joplin recital but I don't recall it. It is really charming and cheery! It sounds like there should be words to it so we could sing along! You play it with confidence and with just the right "bounce" we associate with Joplin's music. Nicely played!

27. Mohan Karthik - Gallop (Original) This is indeed a good Gallop! Having recently been to Scotland I pictured wild horses running over the windswept hills covered in heather. I liked the suggestion of medieval times this piece had. Most enjoyable.

28. RedKat - Manha de Carnaval I've never head of Bonfa, thanks for the introduction. There is a sadness to this piece, you've expressed it well. I like the underlying Latin beat that (to me ) contrasts beautifully with the melody. It makes me think of something sung by Nat King Cole. My compliments to you on your performance!

29. Allard - Dream of the Forgotten Child Hello Allard , welcome back to the recitals! Isn't it wonderful to go back to a piece that was once "too hard" and see how it can come together after a bit more experience? This Child won't be Forgotten easily! I see you playing with more confidence and more relaxed too, you're really bringing out a fullness and richness in the piece - it is easy to see how much you connect with your music. Well done!

30. Mar_red - Polish Roads / Dreamy Lullaby - Medley Very evocative music. Your notes provided the perfect introduction to the pieces. The first sounds like a song of question - what now? what now? Where do we go from here? Including a sense of loss and confusion - but surprisingly delicate for the situation - as though bewilderment is stronger than fear at the moment. The second was lovely, soothing, hypnotic - doing just what a lullaby should do! Your original composition fit beautifully with the other two - bravo!

#2321818 - 08/30/14 08:06 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") ... Brilliantly done. You should be justifiably proud of your performance - this is a real gem. I'm blown away.

Thanks Cheryl - I'm blown away by your being blown away smile

And, oh yes, thanks also for the transformation of heck into h e l l - seems so right now!

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2321820 - 08/30/14 08:14 AM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TrapperJohn]

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

25. TrapperJohn - The Phantom of the Opera (from "The Phantom of the Opera") ... Brilliantly done. You should be justifiably proud of your performance - this is a real gem. I'm blown away.

Thanks Cheryl - I'm blown away by your being blown away smile

And, oh yes, thanks also for the transformation of heck into h e l l - seems so right now!

smile your piece is by far my favourite this time round. I know I haven't heard the rest yet, but I had Goosebumps.

As for the edit... it seemed totally absurd that the censor changed it. But heck, it IS just a machine, what does it know about the torments of the netherworld? smile

#2321937 - 08/30/14 04:25 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
RedKat Online   content

Loc: Belgium
RedKat - My husband's favorite song from my husband's favorite movie! Definitely one worth memorizing!! I loved the syncopation and dark Latin flavor. I am working on an exercise with the chords to a verse of a Michel Legrand song with syncopated 4-chord voicings in the left hand and changes in the rhythm of the right hand melody and I know its not as easy as you make it look, especially when the a chord changes come a little faster. You succeeded in meeting the challenge and played it beautifully. I don't like using sheet music much anymore, but this one's definitely a keeper. Do you know where I can get it?

Starr Keys, Thank you for the nice words. Indeed, it wasn't easy to play this rhythm, where the whole melody falls on weak beats. Concerning the sheet music, I got a pdf from my teacher. I think there is no problem, if I share it with you. PM me e-mail address where I can send it. And good luck with the Legrand!

#2321939 - 08/30/14 04:31 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
RedKat Online   content

Loc: Belgium
Once again, I would like to thank all the people who were so kind to review our play. I want to apologize for not mentioning all names and answering everybody personally, just really very very busy these days.

Edited by RedKat (08/30/14 04:31 PM)

#2322689 - 09/01/14 02:18 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Such research and work just to get your piece to the piano is admirable. This was a fascinating insight into a composer I have had little contact with. Always an engaging pianist to listen to, again you set a very high bar.

Thanks!

It helps a lot to read up on a composer. To know that he used actual recordings made by himself for instance, to listen to those, can give good ideas. Reading about all his notations for accents of course is crucial.

Originally Posted By: riddler
09. Wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68)
Wonderful, spirited playing, quite impressive! You really convey the gypsy dance feeling well. For some reason I have always been obsessed with Bartok's music, though I have never tried to play his piano pieces. BTW, there is a fascinating movie called After the Storm: The American Exile of Béla Bartók, which I watched recently on Netflix, about the man and his music

Great to hear this. If I remember right he has some beginner-level miniatures (a few bars only) that you might try to start with. They are all with his typical sound. I did not know about that movie!

Originally Posted By: TX-Bluebonnet
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Wow, I didn't know I'd like this style of music! I hope you had as much fun playing these pieces as I had listening to them.

Nice! Yes these are nice to play.

Originally Posted By: outo
I don't think I'll ever get what Bartok is about, but you seem to Nice playing! I didn't mind the tempo, since I have not heard these before and it's actualy often easier to get an idea of the music when it's not played at lightning speed...

What they are about? About Romanian Folk dance :-) Glad to hear that it also works in the slower tempo.

#2322708 - 09/01/14 03:11 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) I'm always impressed with your playing and attention to detail Wouter. This is another excellent example.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Allard

I was trying to imagine a dance to the music you played, and came to the conclusion that some of these are indeed a bit slow. Particularly the second and third dances. But when just listening, it works just fine as presented.

Regarding the second, I have no clue what kind of dance that is but yes I have heard faster versions that sounded good as well. But it's already short and playing it quick makes it a bit odd. Regarding the third, I like it at my current tempo.

Originally Posted By: JimF
Thanks for introducing me to these interesting folk songs from Bartok. I liked the stylistic contrasts and you seem to handle all the technical challenges without error. Nice job.

Thanks Jim !

Originally Posted By: piano_primo_
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) melody ,new to me .. good solid playing.

Like to hear this - I wish my playing were more solid yet wink

Originally Posted By: TheodorN
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) Nicely played, lively pieces.

Glad that you like them!

Originally Posted By: chopinoholic
Nice set and good playing. All three have their own distinct character. It is clear that you have an eye for detail. Like you said the speed may be a bit safe, but it worked for me anyway.
You make me want to check out Bart_ok.

Thanks! BTW there are five, not three, but 3 and 4 have very similar character, just as 5 and 6. And always nice to hear people like it so much they are going to check out the score

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
09. wouter79 - Romanian Folk Dances (Sz. 56, BB 68) I'm actually working on these right now, too, and having major trouble with the pedal! I like your rendition, despite it seeming rhythmically a little uneven in places.

Nice to hear you like them. Looking forward to your rendition but take your time, or start with the slower ones and leave the fast ones for later.

Edited by wouter79 (09/01/14 03:26 PM)

#2322732 - 09/01/14 04:12 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

PikaPianist and chopinoholic gave jaw dropping performances of Beethoven. Thanks!

#2322801 - 09/01/14 06:47 PM Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto

34. Ganddalf - Bruremarsj etter Myllarguten (Op.72 no 8)
This was a very pleasant listen for me, Ganddalf. It is nice to be introduced to works I have never experienced before by skilled and experienced performers. Thank you for this.

35. wjf - Blue Bossa
Nice. I always appreciate a Bossa and feel they have contributed considerably to my development at piano. Nice choice with this one and good job.

36. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, mvmt
Really great. Thank you for this.

37. SwissMS/Doris - Samba Lele
Very cute, Doris. I like particularly around 1:20. Congratulations with the exams. You will be great with this piece for sure. Nice to see you here.

39. Copper – Morning
You are a reliable source of enjoyable listening at each recital. Thank you for that and this. Nice playing.

42. MaryBee - Magnetic Rag
It is always nice to hear a Rag being played well, MaryBee. You bring a lot of fun to this. Nicely played.

50. jotur/Cathy Turner - It's Been A Long, Long Time
Sounds like you may have quite a career developing here, Cathy. Good for you smile . Nice to hear about a hit. A bit of bonus pay perhaps for providing superior entertainment value for many. I've always enjoyed your selections. Nice playing with this one.

53. torquenale (Alessandra) - Kabalevskij - Four Rondos op.60 - n.
Yes, I did enjoy. A pleasant surprise and great effort to make it work. It is very nice to encounter people sharing the same passion and pursuits. Considerably better so in the real dimension, as I have been so privileged with you. It is nice to see you here, Alessandra.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Of course Thank you to everyone that performed. It is extraodinary to have a forum where our music is appreciated and progress encouraged by the others. It is the only place for me. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
11/23/14 06:22 AM
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
11/23/14 03:29 AM
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
11/23/14 02:12 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159287 Topics
2339886 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission