2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I was asked to post this recording so here it is:

https://app.box.com/s/6rk0plazteiozwkcj5t9

There is an old thread where I basically just managed to get through the piece. I have made a number of recordings since then until I decided to take a break from the piece (again). I still struggle to get a convincing performance of it mostly due to technical or musical shortcomings. I just play it because I love it, not because it's a good idea or anything. It gets better each time I return to it.

This is a recording that was first shared in the Digital Piano forum as a kind of sound test. I didn't post it here because I'm still on the fence about the sound.

I've been playing this for a long time and realized today that I have been playing three notes wrong for years. I hate it when that happens...

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
[...] I've been playing this for a long time and realized today that I have been playing three notes wrong for years. I hate it when that happens...

I know. It kinda rocks your world in a number of ways, doesn't it? I joined that club a long time ago...

This is very nice listening, Pathbreaker! What were you on the fence about with the sound? I found nothing distracting about the sound of the piano at all--it is quite gorgeous. I did notice, though, that when I flipped my headphones and listened with the L channel on my right ear and the R channel on my left, it made more sense, in an "anatomical" kind of way. crazy

Thanks for sharing this!

More Brahms! (Where is Damon when you need him?) smile

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
First, it's very good Brahms. Are you Pedigree-trained or are you a miracle auto-didact? Tim thought you should have a (baby?) grand. Brahms bass loves the Steinway growl.

However, I went fallow with a tubby old baby grand for 30 years and not-so-great digitals, and I hardly ever played them. Now I have sinful bass on a 7'9" grand, and several Yamaha keyboards to practice on, but hardly ever play anything but the grand. For inspiration to play and to practice, action is more important than sound. I remember reading about a P51 pilot-trainer who said that the P51, compared to anything else a private pilot could fly in the 90's, was "like having a real live woman in your hands." Apologies to women, alive or ersatz; you may substitute "person". Apologies to digital owners if you are limited by space, funds, spouse with hyper-acusis (my sympathies!), etc.

Agree with C'bear that headphones flipped sounds better (with bass on left, treble right), but before I tried flipping it did not bother me. Is this a newer digital, sampled upgrade like Ivory, Galaxy, Ravenscroft?. It seems to have a good "soundstage", bass is good, treble even better. I almost can't tell it's digital.

And I'm afraid we disagree on sound priorities. Sound is important but not crucial. 'listened to your Brahms on Youtube 2/23/14. I like it better (was that one done on your Rhodes?) That was 19 seconds shorter than this one, and I think it flowed better. You have very good expression; no need to go all Bernstein (...listen to those tromBONNZZZZ!!!) Also, there's only one person on this forum that likes chord rolling, or almost-rolling asynchrony (found that out the hard way). Version 1 was more synchronized thumb. Superior quality of performance trumps better fidelity of sound.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
[...] I've been playing this for a long time and realized today that I have been playing three notes wrong for years. I hate it when that happens...

I know. It kinda rocks your world in a number of ways, doesn't it? I joined that club a long time ago...

This is very nice listening, Pathbreaker! What were you on the fence about with the sound? I found nothing distracting about the sound of the piano at all--it is quite gorgeous. I did notice, though, that when I flipped my headphones and listened with the L channel on my right ear and the R channel on my left, it made more sense, in an "anatomical" kind of way. crazy

Thanks for sharing this!

More Brahms! (Where is Damon when you need him?) smile

--Andy

Thanks, Andy! I'm using a sampled piano (Ivory II ACD) along with my Roland RP301. During the time that I made this recording I was spending countless hours adjusting the parameters of the software to get as close to a real acoustic in both sound and response/behavior. It was a lot of work and I figured I would record it again when I was "done." Of course it's the type of thing that you can never be satisfied so I didn't quite feel comfortable posting it. I'm starting to not trust my ears with it. This is why it's refreshing to hear your feedback. Of course I obliterated the settings that produced this recording long ago. I'm sure I'll find my way back or find something even better eventually.

I've actually taken a break from using the VST because it was interfering with efficient practice sessions. I do find the Roland to be more responsive and realistic in it's behavior, at least until I get better at handling the VST settings. When I'm ready to make another recording I might try to do one of both. The Schumann I'm working on now sounds great just on the Roland. The character of the piece is quite different and so I don't miss the more robust lower register that the VST offers.

That's interesting what you say about flipping the headphones. I have no knowledge of that kind of thing. I'm still new to recording and all the sound engineering stuff. But it's a lot of fun so I continue to work on it when I have time.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by doctor S
First, it's very good Brahms. Are you Pedigree-trained or are you a miracle auto-didact? Tim thought you should have a (baby?) grand. Brahms bass loves the Steinway growl.

That's a long story. Basically I trained intensively for a few years with a private teacher. I wouldn't say I'm self taught but more that I continued from that foundation.

I listened to the other recent recording of this piece by Elizabeth Bennett and that piano sound is amazing. I don't know how I would describe it other than organic or earthy. That's how I like to hear it so I agree with Tim. From a purely sonic perspective this recording of mine is closer than the last one, I think.

However, I went fallow with a tubby old baby grand for 30 years and not-so-great digitals, and I hardly ever played them. Now I have sinful bass on a 7'9" grand, and several Yamaha keyboards to practice on, but hardly ever play anything but the grand. For inspiration to play and to practice, action is more important than sound. I remember reading about a P51 pilot-trainer who said that the P51, compared to anything else a private pilot could fly in the 90's, was "like having a real live woman in your hands." Apologies to women, alive or ersatz; you may substitute "person". Apologies to digital owners if you are limited by space, funds, spouse with hyper-acusis (my sympathies!), etc.

I think I see what mean here. I agree that it should feel good to play. I also think access is important. I explored my acoustic options and decided I was better off having an at-home solution. an acoustic grand is not yet an option so I decided to go with a software piano.

Agree with C'bear that headphones flipped sounds better (with bass on left, treble right), but before I tried flipping it did not bother me. Is this a newer digital, sampled upgrade like Ivory, Galaxy, Ravenscroft?. It seems to have a good "soundstage", bass is good, treble even better. I almost can't tell it's digital.

I wish I could have regular access to a great acoustic but this comment is very encouraging.

And I'm afraid we disagree on sound priorities. Sound is important but not crucial. 'listened to your Brahms on Youtube 2/23/14. I like it better (was that one done on your Rhodes?) That was 19 seconds shorter than this one, and I think it flowed better. You have very good expression; no need to go all Bernstein (...listen to those tromBONNZZZZ!!!) Also, there's only one person on this forum that likes chord rolling, or almost-rolling asynchrony (found that out the hard way). Version 1 was more synchronized thumb. Superior quality of performance trumps better fidelity of sound.

Thanks for listening to that. I think that was supposed to be my final recording of the piece and put it on the shelf. I only brought it back after I got the VST because it seemed like a good piece for testing. In a way, my goal since then was to upset that flow in favor of more freedom. I usually prefer a more straightforward interpretation but I started to think it was too narrow. In that performance I strictly followed the score and my expression was an extension of what was indicated.

I still think I need to experiment so that I have a better feeling that my stylistic decisions are deliberate. I don't have a very strong background in this stuff...

I also have contrasting versions of the A major Intermezzo. The one on Youtube that is a standalone is very rigid in it's tempo but more recent versions are much more flexible. I really don't know what I want, I'm just experimenting. Your feedback really helps as I continue to explore.

My comments are worth every penny you paid. Caution is for contests. Agree with Cortot: no pianist should be anonymous.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
Thank you for posting this! I enjoyed listening to it. I thought the final section was especially convincing and sensitive.

Lizzy
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Lizzy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission