2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
From an event last weekend.
Thought folks here might be interested as we had quite the Op. 10 no. 3 discussion recently.
Enjoy!

PS there may also exist footage of MarkH from the same evening performing Chopin Scherzo no. 3. Hint, hint.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
D
D
The first thing I noticed is how you smile while playing. It is contageous. smile smile smile

Congratulations. This is a beautiful performance and you conveyed that you truly enjoy playing the piano, and playing that piece.

Beautifuly done ! smile

Dennis

Yamaha G2 5'8" grand piano, Walnut finish.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What a strange, dry-sounding piano! What is it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Enjoyable performance! I liked your interpretation of the movement a lot. I'm still working on it myself and I have a lot to learn from the way you did it.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Heather -- A really enjoyable performance, with an emphasis on "joy". I very much liked your "strong fingers" in this performance, and also your clear decision-making process throughout this performance -- it's loaded with POV, something that is IMO an underrated aspect of presentation . It serves to remind us that, even in this early work, Beethoven shows that he had a very good sense of humor, which is more fully exemplified in his later mid-period works (Piano Sonata 31- 3 particularly comes to mind). Thanks for sharing this!

What sort of event was this? It comes across as a relatively intimate setting.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I also love how joyful you made it! The piece has some lovely humor in it and you communicated it all. You seemed to relish all the little timing decision in there, and the grinning was infectious!

Lovely piece, lovely playing! [TwoSnowflakes thanks you with a curtsy, reverence-style]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the kind comments (and the curtsy, hee hee)

I think there is a huge emotional range in this sonata, from the utterly dark Largo to this. Glad that the humor came through. I love the chance to get into character with something!

The event was a performance of a piano group in Seattle that ranges from recent adult starters to professionals. I have been in Seattle for most of August and enjoyed the chance to link up with them. It's a friendly and enthusiastic group and the playing is at quite a high level. This was at the Royal Room which is a bar/restaurant in southeast Seattle. The piano is a Steinway B. The piano itself is a bit bright, and I am pretty sure the only mic was the one attached to the video camera, so a lot of the piano's resonance was lost to the noise of a room packed full of people eating. I was especially impressed with the pianist who carried on beautifully in the middle of Balakirev/Glinka "Skylark" whilst a glass was loudly dropped.

Tim, what do you mean by POV?

Last edited by hreichgott; 08/30/14 05:35 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Heather -- by POV, I simply meant short for "point of view" -- meaning that I could tell that you had given detailed consideration about how each section and critical phrases within each section should "move". I do object to willful and ostentatious eccentricity in the projection of ideas, but in general I think it's a definite plus if the performer is both visually and aurally engaged with the material he or she is presenting -- as others here have commented, for example. I've never been keen on dutiful, neutral projections, no matter how note-perfect or faithful-to-the-printed-directives they are.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Spectacular. I loved your phrasing, shaping and yes, those silence were brilliant. Best of all you look like you are having tremendous fun.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Tim and Farmgirl. Yes it certainly is great fun to play that piece!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Q
Q
The sound in the video comes off differently than it did at The Royal Room. (Well, to me anyway. Lots of background noise there, so maybe I just didn't notice the piano's tone from where I was sitting.) I thought it sounded great. Heather, I loved your performance, and was so excited to see Beethoven on the program. You were having fun with it, and it was such a great way to start off the night. I was inspired by all of the performances, and am trying to motivate myself to join the group AND one day get up on stage at the RR! Time will tell whether I make good on that...Thanks for sharing this!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Oh thanks quodlibet! So fun to hear from someone who was there.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission