2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wjf Offline
W
I figured out app.box.com and signed up. Looks useful. 10GB of public file storage.

Here is a link to the iRealPro .html chord chart that I used for the accompaniment on Blue Bossa for my submission to the quarterly recital.

https://app.box.com/s/h0ce3wp2gtu2n244ap19

Last edited by wjf; 08/12/14 06:58 PM.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks so much jazztpt: I always play this tune with the descending bass, too, but you've given me some good ideas for chord subs throughout the song. smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by wjf
I figured out app.box.com and signed up. Looks useful. 10GB of public file storage.

Here is a link to the iRealPro .html chord chart that I used for the accompaniment on Blue Bossa for my submission to the quarterly recital.

https://app.box.com/s/h0ce3wp2gtu2n244ap19

Hi wjf - this opens in the iReal app on my iPad but doesn't doesn't work on my PC.

I have this chart as part of the 1300 standards collection.

Cheers

Last edited by jazztpt; 08/13/14 10:18 AM.

Jazztpt

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Lean to tail, thanks for fixing the Youtube video. That was a very exciting, spirited performance. Impressive that you can maintain the fast tempo with such complex stuff going on in both hands. Well done!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

W
wjf Offline
W
Originally Posted by jazztpt

this opens in the iReal app on my iPad but doesn't doesn't work on my PC.

Jazzpt,

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look into the incompatibility, because it will surely come up again This version comes from my Macintosh and I trade versions with my iPad regularly, but I don't have a PC to check.

Last edited by wjf; 08/13/14 11:36 AM.

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Riddler
...interesting how Kristen Chenoweth starts out in the key of B (Yikes!!!), then modulates to Eb near the end for dramatic effect.

Here is another comment I intended to make: The modulation in this song is so smooth, it slipped right by me on first listening. Thinking about that later, I realized it occurs at the transition between two sections, when the chord is a V+. The thing that is interesting (to those who are interested in these things) is that a V+ chord in a key is also a V+ in a key a major third above, so the key change seems seamless, if you'll pardon my syntax. Seems (that word again?) like a good trick to know.

Ed

D
D
Hi Riddler,

I just finished a Basic Harmony course earlier this summer, so I am very curious. I don't quite understand the V+ of the key a major third above. This is not clear in my mind.

If I put this in simple context, the V+ in the key of C is G7. If we take the key which is a major third above, that would make it a E major key, but the G7 does not fit in this key, so I guess I don't understand your statement.

I would really be grateful if you went over this with me.

I have the feeling I am on to something important and useful.

Thanks very much.

Dennis

Yamaha G2 5'8" grand piano, Walnut finish.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dennis,

Sorry if that was confusing. I was using the "+" to indicate the augmented triad, i.e, triad with raised 5th:

C+ = (C E G#).

So in the key of F, V+ = C+ = (C E G#), and in the key of A, which is a major third up, V+ = E+ = (E G# C), which is just an inversion of the same chord.

Right?

I'm a bit off-topic here, but this caught my attention and I thought I would mention it.

Ed

D
D
Ed, thank you so much for taking the time.

I understand perfectly. Everything I learned in the harmony course is still settling in my mind. I will add this to my arsenal of modulation techniques.

This is another exciting moment in the life of a musician.

Cheers.https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/smile.gif

Dennis

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The modulation in this [Chenoweth]song is so smooth, it slipped right by me on first listening. Thinking about that later, I realized it occurs at the transition between two sections, when the chord is a V+. The thing that is interesting (to those who are interested in these things) is that a V+ chord in a key is also a V+ in a key a major third above, so the key change seems seamless

In the vocal version of Emily I've been working on, I go back and forth between the Key of A and the key of C more than once. I use a C# altered chord which is a third above A to modulate from A to C and vice versa. (Note: I deleted my former post because I realized I was thinking about the relation between the I chord and the Altered chord a third above it and not about the V+. So Here's the real relationship for modulation)

I (in A) = A C# E

a major third above A: C#Alt = C# E F A B

C6 (minor 3rd above A) = C E A

Uses the common tone C# between the tonic in A and the root of the chord a third above as a leading tone to the new tonic C. Your first augmented chord in F uses the sharp 5 in the V+, the the 3rd in the V+ of the key of A--and then the root of this chord (E+) as the leading tone for modulation into Eb--is that correct?

Phew, hope I got it right this time! smile

D
D
Isn't harmony absolutely awesome !!! I am discovering a whole new universe and I find it fascinating. smile

Dennis

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Dennis in Canada
Isn't harmony absolutely awesome !!! I am discovering a whole new universe and I find it fascinating. smile

Yeah, and studying it helps to keep your brain young. Mine needs all the workouts it can get. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, besides the video I first posted here in this thread of this song, about 8 years ago I made an mp3.. I just imported it into my Studio 12 video editing program. I started in key of C and modulated to key of Eb. In key of C, the melody note of the song ends on C, so I held the C note with the R.H. pinky and below that played a Bb9 chord to modulate into the Eb key (V-I progression). (The modulation from key of C to Eb is at around 1:50-2:00).

TILL THERE WAS YOU

Last edited by Elssa; 08/27/14 09:37 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
There is a modulation in Emily from C to A (one found on the lead sheet, not one I did to adjust the key for my vocal) that uses a Bb7 chord. I play Bb in the bass, D in the melody and D Ab and F below it. This is a very smooth modulation because Bb works as the leading tone in the bass and all the other tones are found in the A major scale, except for F which is a half step (leading tone) from E, the root of V in A. Bb7 is a tritone substitution for the V of A.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful playing there Elssa!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Elssa, smooth as silk the way you pulled off that modulation! Another instance of switching keys in a natural way with little fanfare. Sounds good!

Starrkeys, yes, I can see that you can use an alt7 chord too for the same modulation, and it also includes the 5+ (b13). BTW, I play Emily too, and I see now that the lead sheet in my fakebook (Just Jazz Real Book, which has a lot of alternative chords as options) has a Bb13 as an option for the transition. Sounds very smooth. I used to play everything by ear in the key of C, and only gradually branched out (kicking and screaming) into other keys. I guess singing has forced you to play in many keys which are comfortable for your voice, even though difficult on the piano. You should look at this as an opportunity to become an expert on modulating!

I am still playing around with the idea of modulating up a third using the V+ chord. I think the thing that fascinates me is that you can use the same chord to perform the same function in both keys, so when you listen, there is no sense of being set up for a modulation, it just occurs.

Here are two very brief recordings I made to illustrate it to myself. I am playing the bridge and final A section of Bewitched, with a G+ chord in the transition to the final A section. In the first recording, I stay in the key of C. In the second, I use the same transition chord ( G+) but modulate to E, and to my ear, it sounds just as natural.

The Chenoweth Modulation

Bar talk has never been so nerdy! Like Dennis says, harmony is fascinating. But I'm afraid nobody is ever going to write a great song called Fascinatin' Harmony. smile

Ed

Last edited by Riddler; 08/29/14 03:28 PM.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Starrkeys, yes, I can see that you can use an alt7 chord too for the same modulation, and it also includes the 5+ (b13). BTW, I play Emily too, and I see now that the lead sheet in my fakebook (Just Jazz Real Book, which has a lot of alternative chords as options) has a Bb13 as an option for the transition. Sounds very smooth. I used to play everything by ear in the key of C, and only gradually branched out (kicking and screaming) into other keys. I guess singing has forced you to play in many keys which are comfortable for your voice, even though difficult on the piano. You should look at this as an opportunity to become an expert on modulating!

Yes, it's forced me to focus more on playing in different keys and modulating than I would have otherwise, but doing so has opened up a whole new world of songs I thought I couldn't sing because I didn't have the range. Sometimes there is only one key that is a sweet spot for your voice, other times you can sound good in part of the song in one key but need to modulate to be effective in the rest of it. And sometime you have the option of more than one key and can make the decision based on an aesthetic choice or how difficult the key is to play.

For instance, I'm just starting "My Romance" and needed to chose a key to create a leadsheet. F# is perfect, but a tough key to play in. E is definitely too low, F has one note I can barely hit, and G makes me go into my head voice at the end and ruins the smoky jazz effect of the rest of the song. In F, I only have to hit the problematic low note once, so I choose to fudge it rather than play in a much more difficult key. I really don't have the option for modulating in this song except if I do it in my piano solo, but I'll get lots of practice transposing. smile

I am still playing around with the idea of modulating up a third using the V+ chord. I think the thing that fascinates me is that you can use the same chord to perform the same function in both keys, so when you listen, there is no sense of being set up for a modulation, it just occurs. ....Here are two very brief recordings I made to illustrate it to myself. I am playing the bridge and final A section of Bewitched, with a G+ chord in the transition to the final A section. In the first recording, I stay in the key of C. In the second, I use the same transition chord ( G+) but modulate to E, and to my ear, it sounds just as natural.
The Chenoweth Modulation

Well of course, I can hear the difference, because I was listening for it (I wasn't and didn't on the Chenoweth video), but yes I know what you mean. I like the smoothness of it for a vocal transition. Thanks for pointing it out. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Elssa, smooth as silk the way you pulled off that modulation! Another instance of switching keys in a natural way with little fanfare. Sounds good!

Ed

Ed, thanks for your kind comments. smile Well, the smooth transition was helped by the old
"fat thumb" technique (play 2 adjacent white notes with thumb).. Modulating from the key of C to Eb, I played the R.H. C melody note along with the Bb9 chord's C&D with the thumb. thumb So, I put pinkie on C, then below Ab, F, and C&D with thumb.. Left hand arpeggiated the chord from root.

Last edited by Elssa; 09/04/14 02:04 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission