Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2321948 - Today at 05:24 PM Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

I'm looking to get a keyboard, possibly, that I can keep at our beach house during the summer and bring it home for silent practicing during the winter when it's not feasible to play my piano.

Last summer, I needed a keyboard to let me practice while abroad, and was warned against renting a keyboard that required me to use a computer to generate the sound. At the time, this made sense. I had no time to figure that out, and I just needed a plug-and-play solution. I rented a Roland V-Piano and it did the job.

But that thing is expensive. I probably would have gotten a keyboard ages ago if the V-Piano weren't so darn expensive! My sense is, however, is that quite a lot of its cost is that you're paying for a top-notch keyboard as well as the top notch software to drive it, all in one very clearly easy-to-use, standalone package.

Now that I have the time to figure everything out, I don't need to buy something that is entirely standalone. Not that I would argue with it if it were, but I don't need to pay a premium for it. In fact, I kind of wonder if divorcing the physical keyboard from the computer that runs it is a terrific way to future-proof myself... Of course, it's going to be a pretty steep learning curve at first, but I do like the challenge and am in no rush whatsoever.

Somebody want to give me a quick education on what I want and what's out there? To review, here are the priorities I have so far identified:

1) Acoustic feel and touch. Critical. My ideal digital keyboard is simply an actual grand piano action, minus, well, everything that extends out beyond that and that a computer processor can replicate.

2) Slab-style. Now, I don't care if it's impractical to move, but I don't need or want a console. It would be convenient if it had on-board speakers, but I'd be just as happy striking those entirely if it saves me space and/or money. I'm going to use this almost exclusively with headphones (that's the main point: if I could make noise, I'd use the acoustic), and I'm happy to buy a speaker or two at some later point if in the future I need it for some reason. Point is, this thing should only be as big as necessary to house the physical things I cannot compromise on and/or separate out in a modular fashion.

3) Price matters. I will spend what it takes to acquire a keyboard that physically replicates an acoustic instrument. In fact, the perfect keyboard would divorce EVERYTHING non-physically critical from it, and assign that role to the computer. This way, it seems to me, it makes it almost infinitely future-proofed. Everything else is optional, and ideally upgradeable. Did the v-Piano make me happy? Sure, but isn't that technically possible in a keyboard that a computer can run?

That's why my initial suspicion is that I'm going to be most happy with a keyboard that is intended to work with a computer. I can improve things as technology improves. I can tweak what I want without having to rely on some kind of firmware update on the keyboard itself. Sampled? Modeled? My choice now, right? Plus, I'm not paying a premium for those things already inside the keyboard. I know I will have to spend money on software, but I can also buy only what I want, right?

If I can save ANYTHING by simply being willing to figure out how to get a computer to do it for me, I am all for it. I can save money AND end up with a cool software project to figure out? Yes, please.

So...school me. What do I want?

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (Today at 05:27 PM)
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2321955 - 51 minutes 22 seconds ago Re: Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Starting point is Kawai VPC1, hook it up to PC/MAC. Or Kawai MP11 or Roland RD800 for built in sounds.

#2321968 - 19 minutes 40 seconds ago Re: Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
1000 Post Club Member

What about Yamaha CP4?
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2321969 - 19 minutes 22 seconds ago Re: Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
I concur with SpanishBuddha.

If you're willing to spend the money to get their top of the line pianos, Kawai and Roland have the most realistic piano action of the major brands. If you prefer a heavier, more substantial feeling action, than the Kawai pianos probably have the edge. If you prefer a lighter, more nimble action, then the Roland probably has the edge.

Kawai
The VPC1 is a piano controller. it has no onboard sounds. It needs to be connected to a sound source (like a computer running a virtual piano instrument) to generate sounds. If you already have a computer and don't mind going that route, it's probably the most economical choice (depending on what sound libraries you purchase)

The MP11 has their very best action, and their latest, best piano sounds (and quite a few others as well). Note: Best is a relative term though. while the MP11's action is their most advanced action to date, some people prefer the MP7/ES7. The feel of the piano is a very subjective thing. Also, the MP11 is really heavy for a modern digital piano. If portability is a concern the MP7/ES7, or the RD800 might be a better fit.

---------------

The Roland RD800 is roland's flagship stage piano. I'm possibly biased because I have one (I prefer a lighter action, and I adore their piano sounds). The RD800 has Roland's very best Supernatural pianos, electric pianos, and tone wheel organs. It has the largest library of on board sounds. And the action feels incredible.

You should note that any of those pianos can be hooked up to a computer for playing software instruments (only the VPC1 requires that). The ES7 is the only one I mentioned with its own speakers. The others will require either external speakers or a good set of headphones.

Listen to demos, and if you can, try to get your hands on them to play for yourself. But any of those choices would make for an excellent piano.

#2321970 - 12 minutes 57 seconds ago Re: Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
TwoSnowflakes
The CP4 is another good possibility. I've read some mixed opinions about its action, but it's yamaha's best action to date, and some people really love it. It's probably worth trying just for the comparison, plus you might be one of the people who really loves it. I've not actually played a CP4 yet, but my impression from reviews that I've read is that like kawai, it tends to the heavier side of things.

Warm Regards.

#2321971 - 7 minutes 43 seconds ago Re: Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch. [Re: fizikisto]
Possum SP280Krome Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Does anyone have any opinions of the F20? I played it and liked some things about; I thought the action was very good for the price ($900 before any potential coupons) and I enjoyed some of the piano variations as well as the rhodes sound.

However, i did not find a line out on it and found the volume okay, but am going to check what were the options if any besides the headphone jack
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2321973 - 30 seconds ago Re: Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch. [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
1000 Post Club Member

Wow, the MP11 is 70 lbs! Good lord that's big.

On the other hand, it's still almost 15 pounds lighter than the V-Piano and that wasn't so bad.

They're all nothing compared to my 6ft grand piano, after all! smile

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, AEMontoya, A Guy, 36251, 40 invisible), 1417 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157167 Topics
2308268 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
08/30/14 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
08/30/14 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
08/30/14 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
08/30/14 04:24 PM
Recital Piece to go with Fur Elise
by eccp19
08/30/14 03:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission