Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2322201 - 08/31/14 11:09 AM Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I found this video by a guy named 7notemode on Ivory. I have used the exact settings, using the same headphones. And his dp and Ivory sounds MUCH better than my yamaha and Ivory...is this have something to do with his dp..or something else I can't think of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnbja5UXm8

I'm using medium memory and 100 voices too on a macbook pro 08, with USB 1.0.

It's aggravating to hear his setup sound like a real Steinway vs. mine which is just plain anemic compared to this video. Are my expectations too high given my computer and/or p105?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2322205 - 08/31/14 11:23 AM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: Chrisl]
petes1 Offline

I can't answer your question since I don't use software pianos, but god does it sound absolutely wonderful!

#2322213 - 08/31/14 11:48 AM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: Chrisl]
NormB Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Your computer should not affect the sound in a significant way. Your keyboard 'hardness' settings will have a minor effect, but that's it. If hyou hear a big difference it is not very likely to be from these two sources.

I assume your are driving your HD650s with something other than the macbook. Whatever that is might have a minor effect only.

He refers to a full list of his Ivory settings on "his blog". Did you find where these are? While you can make out some of the settings on the small window showing the 'Program' page, there are many others on the Session page etc. These can be very significant.

Of course you don't know what happens to his audio signal between when it gets out of Ivory and when it is fixed as a recording. Could be a lot.

#2322215 - 08/31/14 11:57 AM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: Chrisl]
Starboard Offline

It does sound great in that video. The answer very likely lies in the audio processing mentioned in the video description. A small amount of compression can make a tremendous difference (and especially on a naked, no-pedal solo piano), given the general human preference toward perceiving a louder sound as more pleasant. If you aren't doing any post-processing to your audio, or if you aren't running Ivory inside of a DAW and routing it through a compressor and/or limiter effect, your sound will have a different character from that of the video.

#2322218 - 08/31/14 12:12 PM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: Chrisl]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Also for a louder sound consider reducing the dynamic range setting a significant amount. It seems like you would want it high but what happens is you get an easy ppp and unless you use real force you will not get a great amount of volume most of the time. I don't know what you're doing there but definitely don't bother putting that above 50. Unless you are really good with your velocity curves. Make your silent key somewhat high (10-15 or something), and try to cut off your velocity curve so that it doesn't allow ppp because very few acoustic grands will even let you get that soft a sound. Try to constrain the dymanic range to something you could actually produce in real life and you'll find that you get more volume most of the time. The other danger of having a suppressed sound is that you will begin to hit the keys harder to compensate and you might end up hurting yourself. Just in case you haven't tried any of that.

I still have lots to figure out on this so I hope to get some ideas in here too. Another thing to consider is the tuning of either stretch or equal. The manual says stretch tuning is ideal but I think equal is more common. Honestly I don't really know but it makes for a generally louder sound with the equal setting but chord voicing is harder. Also consider the performer vs. audience perspective. Beyond all of that, I've only achieved more volume by adding to the gain in the session. But since I listen with headphones the real challenge is to match my playing volumne to the output. In other words, I want the volume I'm hearing to be the same as what is recorded...if that makes sense.

#2322384 - 08/31/14 08:18 PM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: Chrisl]
7notemode Offline

Loc: Raleigh/Durham NC
Hey Chrisl, 7notemode here --
I don't know if this will help, but let me share my workflow. I don't think I was totally clear about it in the video's description. I use two different settings: one to play The Iv.Am.Con.D and capture the midi file. I then use another setting to bounce the midi file to wav. Once the performance is in wav format, I use Logic and apply external compression and processing just like I would to an acoustic piano recording. I use no in program EQ or Reverb. One difference between the play setting and the bounce setting is the compression. For the play setting, I compress in program pretty aggressively to get a pretty flat dynamic range, and for the play setting I set the Timbre knob lower than 99 (50 or 60 I think) so that it accentuates the dark to bright timbre change from low to high velocity playing. That way as I listen to myself play, the volume dynamics don't vary very much, but the dark to bright timbre changes a lot. For me I am able to get better real time playing feedback out of it this way.

For bouncing the midi track, I use a very wide dynamic range (55 db for ex) and I treat the bounced wav just like I would a recording of my acoustic piano, applying compression, EQ reverb as needed. No EQ or reverb in this video though. I have never been successful in finding a common setting for playing and bouncing a wav. I really like my play setting and all my comments on the video are responding to that. Later, after I compressed for the final soundtrack, I realized that the compressor I used in that video has a euphonic effect that sweetens the sound in addition to compressing it, so it wasn't the most neutral choice. It didn't change it that much and still represents what I heard, but I will be more minimalist in presenting things in the future. Bottom line, I use two different settings. One to enjoy playing it. One to bounce it with a really large dynamic range so it can take high quality, long latency outboard compressors (as opposed to the in program compressor which has good sound quality but is prioritized for low latency).

Edited by 7notemode (08/31/14 08:24 PM)

#2322626 - Yesterday at 11:53 AM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: 7notemode]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
7notemode,

Lots of great info in your post, thanks for sharing. I also found lowering the timbre to be necessary. Mine is usually around 70 but like most of my numbers it's pretty arbitrary. Just saw the need for it to be lower in general. I try the timbre shift at 1 too but anything more is too much.

The biggest challenge is playing staccato in the mid range of the keyboard. It can sound very metallic and artificial without some intervention. For this I found the timbre change, EQ and reverb to do a great job. I don't even know which made the most impact but when I was done adjusting I was very happy with it. Prior to that I highly preferred my Roland's native sound for lively attacks in the mid range.

#2322899 - Today at 12:11 AM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: 7notemode]
Chrisl Offline

Originally Posted By: 7notemode
Hey Chrisl, 7notemode here --
I don't know if this will help, but let me share my workflow. I don't think I was totally clear about it in the video's description. I use two different settings: one to play The Iv.Am.Con.D and capture the midi file. I then use another setting to bounce the midi file to wav. Once the performance is in wav format, I use Logic and apply external compression and processing just like I would to an acoustic piano recording. I use no in program EQ or Reverb. One difference between the play setting and the bounce setting is the compression. For the play setting, I compress in program pretty aggressively to get a pretty flat dynamic range, and for the play setting I set the Timbre knob lower than 99 (50 or 60 I think) so that it accentuates the dark to bright timbre change from low to high velocity playing. That way as I listen to myself play, the volume dynamics don't vary very much, but the dark to bright timbre changes a lot. For me I am able to get better real time playing feedback out of it this way.

For bouncing the midi track, I use a very wide dynamic range (55 db for ex) and I treat the bounced wav just like I would a recording of my acoustic piano, applying compression, EQ reverb as needed. No EQ or reverb in this video though. I have never been successful in finding a common setting for playing and bouncing a wav. I really like my play setting and all my comments on the video are responding to that. Later, after I compressed for the final soundtrack, I realized that the compressor I used in that video has a euphonic effect that sweetens the sound in addition to compressing it, so it wasn't the most neutral choice. It didn't change it that much and still represents what I heard, but I will be more minimalist in presenting things in the future. Bottom line, I use two different settings. One to enjoy playing it. One to bounce it with a really large dynamic range so it can take high quality, long latency outboard compressors (as opposed to the in program compressor which has good sound quality but is prioritized for low latency).

7notemode, I am so glad you 'meet' you and you've offered your generous time and opinion. This is a bit above me to be honest. I've only been playing since last Feb., and yes, I've been using the headphone out on my macbook pro. No software other than Ivory. I hadn't realized there was so much more to the music! I do use GarageBand to record every now and then...real basic use...with no idea about using compression. I was trying to keep this simple (dp, computer and headphones), but after hearing your video, I'm inspired to do better.

My other hobby by chance is music, I'm a so called 'audiophile' with a setup in the adjacent room. I use a Metric Halo LIO 8 as my dac, a friend helped me setup the daw as I was being a dunce wink That was a couple yrs ago and I haven't changed the setup at all. Anyway, I could run a 30' midi/usb and using a headphone extension cable, and if I can setup another daw lol, I could run the dp thru my macbook thru the LIO and headphone out. There recording software though really stinks from what I remember. LogicPro is $200 which is not cheap.

I hope I understood what you were saying 7notemode and my reply was not gibberish lol I'm willing to try something new to try to come close getting my dp to sound anywhere close to yours! And it'll be yrs and yrs before I can play that well too, well done btw!

Thanks for the discussion everyone. Seems I have some research to do wink

Edit: I have a 32 bit processor so I'm looking at another $100 or so for a 32 to 64 bit ability of Logic. Yikes, this is adding up!

Edited by Chrisl (Today at 12:23 AM)
Edit Reason: Some research:

#2323197 - Today at 03:33 PM Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: Chrisl]
Chrisl Offline

I unexpectedly got the day off. So I moved the dp into the room w. the dac to see if I could get it to work. Got it setup as a daw now, 24/192 successfully....surprising even myself ;)

It sounds Much better now! Oh, and I incr. to large memory and 100 voices. The dac is fed via FW800 btw.

Thanks for suggesting moving to an ext. audio output, the LIO sounds very good. Is it still as good as 7notemode's? No, but alot closer.
7nm, you wrote "For the play setting, I compress in program pretty aggressively to get a pretty flat dynamic range". I started GarageBand and I see where you can compress, as well as add reverb and echo. I think this is what you meant?

Thanks for the help guys!
Chris

Edited by Chrisl (Today at 03:53 PM)

#2323280 - 5 minutes 49 seconds ago Re: Am. Ivory II Sound Quality Differences [Re: Chrisl]
CyberGene Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
There's a separate compression knob in the Ivory interface. Not to be confused with compression in Garage Band.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, Allard, 50 invisible), 1826 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157247 Topics
2309571 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
09/02/14 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
09/02/14 02:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission