2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2322348 08/31/14 06:05 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I have a few portable digitals and have been wanting to have them on an easy to move stand. The other day I finally got around to building one. I know I could have bought one, but this is on wheels, has a halfway decent look for in the house, and it is made of pine. I painted it semi gloss black to match my ES4. I also have an ES6 and plan on making a stand for that one as well...

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice work! I am looking to do something similar - without the wheels - for my new Kawai MP11. Thanks for the photo, looks good.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Ken that's pretty cool! Does the piano stay put when you're playing?

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good job Ken!

Do the castors latch to prevent the stand from moving around?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hey everyone...

The piano does stay put, the paint provides pretty good traction and it does not slide around at all. I put locking casters on it, although the locking feature does not seem really necessary. It will move easily but it isn't unstable. They are 2" casters and I may save the additional dollar apiece on the next one and not buy locking ones. I went to Home Depot and bought all the materials and you are looking at around $70 for everything. Once I had the materials it took a few hours to cut, sand, and assemble, plus another few hours for painting and the paint drying. So now it's portable and yet can almost look like a home piano.. smile

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
M
M
Great job! Will your other stand look the same or will you try for a different style?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I made this stand a bit oversize so it would be universal and a future larger digital would fit. The other one I intend to build will probably be sized a bit smaller to be less universal. But the ES6 I have should fit nicely. smile

A mod I might do is to design and install something on the bottom for the sustain pedal. I will need to do it in such a way that the pedal can be on it but it will raise for wheeling it around. This stand is up at my organ repair shop and I really needed the ability to be able to move it easily to fit my space needs at any given moment..

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I should also add that the stand is much lighter than the ES4. If the ES4 is taken off the stand I can easily carry it around. Yet it is very sturdy and does not move when you play.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
M
M
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
I made this stand a bit oversize so it would be universal and a future larger digital would fit. The other one I intend to build will probably be sized a bit smaller to be less universal. But the ES6 I have should fit nicely. smile

A mod I might do is to design and install something on the bottom for the sustain pedal. I will need to do it in such a way that the pedal can be on it but it will raise for wheeling it around. This stand is up at my organ repair shop and I really needed the ability to be able to move it easily to fit my space needs at any given moment..
Does the DP have a 3-pedal unit or a single pedal only? Perhaps just a means of easily separating the pedal from the stand would work. I'm imagining some of those furniture brackets that lock like you see on tables with a leaf like this:

https://www.mcfeelys.com/images/tt-0105.jpg

Then the wood piece that extends down to attach to the pedal wouldn't have to go all the way to the floor. I'm guessing you wouldn't need a lot of clearance to be able to wheel it around, maybe just an inch off the floor, but position the pedal in such a way that it sits on the floor.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Neither have the three pedal unit, but it is an option on the ES6. I had been considering a couple options.. First one was to set it up with a hinge so it could be flipped up when moved. The second thought was to make it with slots in the wood mount so I could loosen wing nuts on carriage bolts and slide it up off the floor.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission