2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2322441 08/31/14 11:22 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hey Guys, I have been playing piano for about 3 years and Im now thinking of doing a AMEB exam. However Im not sure what grade to try. I can read music but i cannot sight read. I was wondering if you could have a look at some of my performances and tell me what grade you think i should try for. This link is my youtube channel where my performances are - https://www.youtube.com/user/Patonpiano/videos Any help of this matter would be much appreciated as Im not really sure how the grading works Thanks heaps Alex

Patonpiano #2322451 09/01/14 12:00 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Alex :

Perhaps you should look up the AMEB syllabus on line, find out what the requirements for certain grades are, and decide if you can fulfill those requirements.

Here's a link :

AMEB Piano Exam Syllabus

Your youtube videos seems to feature only movie and video game themes which, if I'm not mistaken, won't get you very far in the AMEB exams.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Patonpiano #2322459 09/01/14 12:20 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Yeah i didn't think video game themes would be much use to an AMEB exam but I was thinking that the level of skill needed to play them could be the equivalent to that needed to play a piece in a AMEB exam or something along those lines. and i had a look online and the piano syllabus is 10$. might buy that a give it a read. Thanks for your help, Alex

Patonpiano #2322478 09/01/14 02:08 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Do you have a teacher? I strongly recommend it if you are thinking of preparing for an exam.

Du holde Kunst...
Patonpiano #2322500 09/01/14 04:15 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I have never had a piano lesson, our family just got given a piano from some friends about 3 years ago and i thought id make the most of it. I learnt how to loosely read music and then started to learn some themes from my favourite games. Some of my friends also play piano and recently said that my piano playing isn't too bad and you should try of of the AMEB exams. So i thought id put a post on here and see what others think.

Patonpiano #2322588 09/01/14 10:29 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Patonpiano
I have never had a piano lesson, our family just got given a piano from some friends about 3 years ago and i thought id make the most of it. I learnt how to loosely read music and then started to learn some themes from my favourite games. Some of my friends also play piano and recently said that my piano playing isn't too bad and you should try of of the AMEB exams. So i thought id put a post on here and see what others think.

I think that any type of examination preparation should be done under the guidance of a teacher with repertoire that will be required for the examination(s). Technical exercises (scales, chords, arpeggios, etc.) are also required for examinations and knowing how to play them and the repertoire involves a lot more than being able to "loosely read the music." The skills required to play classical music are quite different from those you displayed in your videos so it's difficult to predict what you might do with some of the classical repertoire.

If you want opinions from people here, you should learn some of the pieces from the AMEB syllabus and post a video of your playing them. Then we might give some practical advice.

In the meantime, if you are really serious about sitting for an AMEB examination, you should start studying with a teacher.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission