2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2323347 09/02/14 09:09 PM
M
MandyD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I need so much help here that I don't even know where to start. Please consider if you answer that I am a technological idiot and I don't understand any of the jargon. blush

I have a Kawai KDP90 and it only has to MIDI ports not USB ones. To do an online recital I bought a MIDI to USB cable and connected it to my computer (Windows Vista), however the computer doesn't seem to register the DP itself??? I was originally able to record something with Red Dot Forever and use a MIDI to MP3 convertor so that I could load the file. Surprise, surprise it sounded awful and had no volume. (I told you I have no idea what I'm doing lol). So someone suggested using a DAW to make the sound better, I have since downloaded a trial version of Reaper and have no idea how to record on it or how to use it full stop really (I youtubed the info first and they made it look so easy confused ). I have tried arming the record then pressing record, playing a tune, but it's totally blank I think because I don't know what FX to use from the plug in list (seriously why can't they just have piano, guitar, etc lol), I have tried different ones but still nothing happens. It is very frustrating.

Seriously am I better off just videotaping from an ipad? Only even then I don't know how to get the sound into MP3 format. I wouldn't have thought that recording music would be so difficult. There has to be an easier way and that's why I'm here hanging my head in shame and defeat. If anyone could help me with simple layman terms and directions I would really appreciate it. smile

[Linked Image]
MandyD #2323363 09/02/14 09:40 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why not just record the sound from the Kawai piano? It probably has an audio output connection. So, using a suitable cable, connect that output to the audio input on the computer. And use Audacity (free software) to record the sound.

No MIDI needed. No USB needed.

I see now that this piano has no line-level audio output. Just a pair of headphone jacks. But that should still work.

What kind of computer are you using?

MacMacMac #2323370 09/02/14 09:47 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Why not just record the sound from the Kawai piano? It probably has an audio output connection. So, using a suitable cable, connect that output to the audio input on the computer. And use Audacity (free software) to record the sound.

No MIDI needed. No USB needed.

I see now that this piano has no line-level audio output. Just a pair of headphone jacks. But that should still work.

What kind of computer are you using?

+1. Also I wanted to add that Vista is a PITA. I left Windows as a result of Vista.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
MandyD #2323437 09/03/14 12:30 AM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Get rid of Reaper -- it's terribly complex, for what you want to do.

"Audacity" is adequate, and way, way easier to learn and use.

MacMacMac is right -- run a cable from the headphone output of the DP to the "Line In" (or "microphone", if that's all you have) -- of the computer.

Then you will have some work getting the volume levels and the computer's input gain worked out -- but that's not hard.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
MandyD #2323514 09/03/14 05:58 AM
M
MandyD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks so much for the replies. I will look for a cable, hopefully they sell them on eBay. smile

[Linked Image]
MandyD #2323519 09/03/14 06:36 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
Originally Posted by Monica K.
The pianoclues website had a series of very helpful articles on making recordings with a digital:

recording a digital piano

For this purpose, check out the Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface: http://amzn.com/B000KW2YEI

You'll need an RCA input(white & red) to the device. The adapter to suit that purpose can go from audio out or headphone out. Either will produce the best direct results available given your hardware. I use the headphone out from my digital using a Stereo 1/8 Inch to Dual RCA Adapter Cable: (e.g.) http://amzn.com/B000068O33

If you only have one headphone out on your digital, the audio interface has a headphone jack which you can use instead. This equipment piggybacks off the link Monica gave you. (which I used to get the above equipment for myself)

I also used Audacity with this setup.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission