Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, AmateurBob, anamnesis, aceydawg, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1505 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2323865 - 09/03/14 11:06 PM Restringing
Parks Offline

Loc: Northern CA
Can anyone please give me a ball park for a complete restringing on a Steinway A.

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2323884 - 09/04/14 12:15 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
A grand piano takes a lot of space, but even a Little League ball park still seems awfully big!

If you are looking for a price, your best bet would be to call some technicians in your area and get estimates.

#2323886 - 09/04/14 12:24 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Ed A. Hall Offline

You should also figure on replacing the pinblock. I've seen too many pinblocks fail a few short years after restringing with larger pins.

#2323908 - 09/04/14 02:25 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Parks Offline

Aren't you guys techs?? Can't someone just give a number?

Leonardo da Vinci

#2323954 - 09/04/14 07:32 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
WilliamTruitt Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Parks, your query about restringing has about as much useful specificity as me going onto an insurance forum and asking the question, "How much will it cost to insure my car?"

No reputable rebuilder would give you a quote without seeing the piano, or providing that estimate after examining your instrument in his shop. And how much it will cost is related to the overall condition of the piano.

Here's the answer to your question: It depends.

#2323960 - 09/04/14 08:05 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Ed A. Hall Offline

It's also rare that only restringing needs to be done. People think that a restringing job is all their piano needs when it really needs a complete rebuild.

#2323962 - 09/04/14 08:11 AM Re: Restringing [Re: BDB]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: BDB
A grand piano takes a lot of space, but even a Little League ball park still seems awfully big!

If you are looking for a price, your best bet would be to call some technicians in your area and get estimates.

+1

I don't have a ball park to give away, and even if I did, I'd be very reluctant to give it to a stranger on the internet.
-----

#2324005 - 09/04/14 11:16 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Miguel Rey Online   content

I'm also curious. someone must have an idea, labor cost plus materials.

#2324007 - 09/04/14 11:22 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]

a few Tech web sites quoting $850-$1500

#2324010 - 09/04/14 11:30 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
WilliamTruitt Offline

And you won't know what has been left out until it is too late. Like anything, you get what you pay for. Value is not determined by the how low the cost is.

#2324015 - 09/04/14 11:39 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Parks Offline

I know I'm being vague. Forgive me, I am very shaken up, and want quick answers.

My housmate has completely lost his mind, and has taken a pair of loppers and cut every strings on the piano. The pin block is known to be very bad. It is a vintage Steinway, and very worth rebuilding.

If I were to put a figure on the damage he did, would I include the pin block rebuild, since no tech in their right mind would restring over a bad pin block?

Leonardo da Vinci

#2324016 - 09/04/14 11:40 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Miguel Rey]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: Miguel Rey

That would be quite optimistic. Knowing what some custom bass string sets can cost....extremely optimistic.
Church Music Professional

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2324035 - 09/04/14 12:41 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Dear Parks,

http://restoration.steinway.com

Suggest you give a call the Steinway Restoration Center for an accurate estimate of a quality job. You'll have an idea of what a complete job should actually cost. Lots. You'll need the model and serial number for them (or anyone) to help with the estimate.

With a 'known bad pinblock' the job must include pulling the plate and installing a new pinblock, which will add $5K-$8K to a restringing job; depends on the difficulty of the specific model and age of your instrument.

Quotes for $800-1500 are NOT from reputable people. The custom-made bass strings, plain wire, and tuning pins alone will cost the rebuilder/technician $600-800, and that does not include ANY labor costs at all.

Replacing the dampers, the felt on the damper heads which quiet the strings, must also be included. Hammer reshaping (...or replacement) is part of a quality job, too. It is NOT a simple job of just stringing new wire in the piano. It is a complex and involved project. Is the soundboard good? Are the bridges solid? Are there cracks or splits at the bridge pins? Are there structural issues? You are dealing with 18 to 20 TONS of string tension in a medium sized grand.

There is simply too much to consider for any reputable rebuilder/technician to offer you a flat dollar figure for 'restringing' without a thorough examination of the instrument.

Very sorry to hear of your problem!
Sincerely,

#2324045 - 09/04/14 01:23 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
adamp88 Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
Originally Posted By: Parks
My housmate has completely lost his mind, and has taken a pair of loppers and cut every strings on the piano. The pin block is known to be very bad. It is a vintage Steinway, and very worth rebuilding.

I take it you're also looking for a new housemate now? If I were more litigious I'd be tempted to file suit for destruction of property.

TunerJeff's response is great and worth paying heed to - restringing is a complex and labor-intensive procedure, and even more so when a new block is required. And thus, for quality work, it won't be cheap.

#2324047 - 09/04/14 01:29 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Miguel Rey]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Miguel Rey

Bass strings alone cost $300 - $400. Pins are $150 last time I checked. That doesn't leave much room for anything else.

#2324054 - 09/04/14 02:15 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Aren't you guys techs?? Can't someone just give a number?

I would have give you a phone number (mine) but I am very far...

#2324057 - 09/04/14 02:22 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Olek]
Parks Offline

Please don't make fun. Did you read the post?? This is a crime! I have not been home in two days, and can't get any of my stuff because this crazy person is there. He is dangerous. I'm so happy that you are snickering, Olek, but Shame on you for this joke!

Leonardo da Vinci

#2324073 - 09/04/14 03:29 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]

This post is getting a bit strange.

#2324077 - 09/04/14 03:49 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
adamp88 Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
Please don't make fun. Did you read the post?? This is a crime! I have not been home in two days, and can't get any of my stuff because this crazy person is there. He is dangerous. I'm so happy that you are snickering, Olek, but Shame on you for this joke!

If he is dangerous, have you considered calling the police and telling them you don't feel safe, and he has already done significant damage to your property?

#2324078 - 09/04/14 03:50 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Sounds like a serious domestic dispute to me and perhaps you should be contacting the local law enforcement agencies rather than an internet piano forum.

However, I hope it all turns out for the best for all concerned.

Rick

#2324083 - 09/04/14 04:21 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Rickster]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle
thumb
Church Music Professional

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2324088 - 09/04/14 04:40 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
WilliamTruitt Offline

Hi Parks:

I am sorry for your troubles, so I will give a serious response. As soon as you are able to safely come into your home, you will want to engage the services of a piano technician or preferably a rebuilder to come and appraise the damage to the instrument. That MUST be an on site visual inspection for insurance or legal purposes. The documentation will have to be in writing. You will, of course, have to pay for this service.

If you can tell us the city you are in, perhaps some of the techs might be able to recommend someone near you who can give you an honest and accurate appraisal, or make that offer themselves.

Good luck to you.

#2324103 - 09/04/14 05:28 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I doubt all strings are cut, it is a lot of work, frightening and dangerous for the one who does it.

So they where due for a change so it could be positive for the piano in the end.

It sound as a personal revenge, so it shoul turn good in the end

Je compatis,

#2324105 - 09/04/14 05:32 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I know I'm being vague. Forgive me, I am very shaken up, and want quick answers.

If I were to put a figure on the damage he did, would I include the pin block rebuild, since no tech in their right mind would restring over a bad pin block?

You must mean bolt cutters rather than loppers. Loppers for cutting tree limbs would hardly cut one or two piano wires before they would give out.

You could have saved yourself the wisecracks and jabs by explaining the situation in greater detail, but even then, no reputable tech will give a figure for repair unless he can see the piano. There are just too many variables.
-----

#2324113 - 09/04/14 05:45 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Parks Offline

Thank you everyone.

No one has addressed the heart of the matter. I know that an on site assessment is neccessary for repair. There is a difference between damage and repair. He didn't damage the pin block, but a string repair is moot without a new pin block. The cost of a bew pin block is much higher. Does that make the new block part of the damage I can sue him for?

Yes, all of the strings. Yes, it was revenge. For what, I have no clue. He is sick, and will probably leave the country.

Leonardo da Vinci

#2324115 - 09/04/14 05:47 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Parks Offline

I don't know the exact tool he used, but he has many from which to choose. Whatever it was left scuff marks on the sound board. Also, as the strings snapped they have scratched the sound board as well.

Leonardo da Vinci

#2324117 - 09/04/14 05:52 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
bellspiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
Michael, I am very sorry for your troubles. This forum is probably not the best place for you to get help, because we cannot see the piano and are not qualified to comment on the legal aspects of your situation (including safety). There may have been other household damage in your absence, so I am assuming that you will have a complex insurance/legal situation. I hope that you can get started straightening things out, perhaps with the help of the police or a domestic violence counselor, and then come back to us for names of reliable technicians in your area. I know that the piano damage is very distressing, but it's only one aspect of what you are having to deal with. Again, I am sorry.

#2324204 - 09/04/14 11:01 PM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
You need to get your situation stabilized before you worry about the piano.

#2324266 - 09/05/14 03:55 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
A454.7 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manywheres
No one has addressed the heart of the matter. I know that an on site assessment is neccessary for repair. There is a difference between damage and repair. He didn't damage the pin block, but a string repair is moot without a new pin block. The cost of a bew pin block is much higher. Does that make the new block part of the damage I can sue him for?
I don't believe you will be able to sue for a new pin block (i.e., you can't sue for an upgrade); the strings can be replaced with the original pinblock and pin that were functioning before hand...even if it wasn't very well-functioning. Damper regulation has most likely been destroyed, so that should be part of the claim. The pinblock is going too far, but you may always give it a try. You are going to need a police report for the insurance claim, no? Did you do that?

If he leaves the country, suing him will not be an option. So, if you really are going to sue him, you must serve him while he is in this country. And, he has to have money to sue for. Does he have any?

#2324276 - 09/05/14 05:21 AM Re: Restringing [Re: Parks]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

in those sort of situation the insurance pay for a percentage of the structural repair and the sum of the real damage to the element broken.
I had the case with a fire, while the piano was neglected they of course do pay a part of the rebuild so the instrument can be back to its precedent condition of playable.

Dents in spruce can be raised with moistening , not sure how much it come to level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
Today at 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
Today at 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
Today at 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
Today at 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
Today at 09:36 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159396 Topics
2341455 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission