Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2324236 - 09/05/14 12:48 AM Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
From an organ prelude in G minor. Twelve bars.

[img:left]http://[/img]

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2324237 - 09/05/14 12:55 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
That kind of thing can be powerful if you've properly prepared the audience for it emotionally up to that point

#2324242 - 09/05/14 01:22 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

context aside that is pretty funny

wonder if mozart ever "phoned it in"

#2324247 - 09/05/14 01:36 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
In the day a passage like that would have been pretty terrifying. They were not accustomed to that kind of tight chromatic movement.

#2324295 - 09/05/14 07:09 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

And that's not the only time he phoned it in, either. It seems to me that once you get away from the most well-known and popular Bach harpsichord and keyboard works, and look at the miscellaneous pieces, you start running into some fairly long stretches of what sounds to me like fairly mindless note-spinning on endlessly repeated patterns. It's just not very interesting writing, IMO, and you'd never be able to predict his great music, if that was all that you knew.

I'm assuming that stuff is mostly from early in his compositional career, but am not sure. And some of it may be falsely attributed, too.

#2324425 - 09/05/14 01:19 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: wr]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: wr
And that's not the only time he phoned it in, either. It seems to me that once you get away from the most well-known and popular Bach harpsichord and keyboard works, and look at the miscellaneous pieces, you start running into some fairly long stretches of what sounds to me like fairly mindless note-spinning on endlessly repeated patterns. It's just not very interesting writing, IMO, and you'd never be able to predict his great music, if that was all that you knew.

I'm assuming that stuff is mostly from early in his compositional career, but am not sure. And some of it may be falsely attributed, too.

And some of it he might have expected you to add your own improvisations.

As a comparison, I have a copy of the score to Handel's Messiah, at times it's just a melody and a figured bass

Edited by phantomFive (09/05/14 01:24 PM)

#2324450 - 09/05/14 02:38 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
I think it's OK if every piece you put out there is not a manifestation of pure genius. I can cut him some slack. Dude had to prepare the singers for this Sunday's cantata, write NEXT Sunday's cantata, work on other pieces in the hopper, and then there were all those children...

www.josephkubera.com

#2324478 - 09/05/14 04:04 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: RealPlayer
I think it's OK if every piece you put out there is not a manifestation of pure genius. I can cut him some slack. Dude had to prepare the singers for this Sunday's cantata, write NEXT Sunday's cantata, work on other pieces in the hopper, and then there were all those children...

I agree and I am not particularly a fan of Bach music but I am a fan of his massive ability. I think every person who is serious about becoming a good pianist, or perhaps even "just" a proficient one should spend some time studying Bach.
Maybe his works should even be included in the basics, thus : Scales, Arpeggios and Bach.
He can teach the fingers to walk. Truly a giant. And, not only those children, but that wig......

#2324534 - 09/05/14 06:48 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: phantomFive]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: phantomFive
Originally Posted By: wr

And some of it he might have expected you to add your own improvisations.

As a comparison, I have a copy of the score to Handel's Messiah, at times it's just a melody and a figured bass

The kind of fast repetitive pattern stuff I had mind isn't the kind of thing that was used as a basis for improvisation during the Baroque era. So, no, I don't think that was the expectation. It sounds a lot like a written-out improvisation already.

#2324539 - 09/05/14 07:16 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I agree that the greats sometimes "phone it in"... I just don't think this is an example. I listened to it to get the full context (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMSAEQEKWJs), and that section is kind of unexpected and powerful in its length and arc of descent.

Youtube comments aren't always a source of illumination, but it's interesting that someone actually singled out that particular passage with the comment: "from minute 1:04 to 1:48 is one of the most heavenly experiences that I have had, simply music of another world...! Thank you, maestro Bach!"

-J

#2324552 - 09/05/14 08:34 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can get from F# down to G with a lot less fuss.

12 bars?

Pfft.

Amateur.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2324556 - 09/05/14 09:03 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

"Too many notes!" - Emperor Joseph II to JSB wink .

#2324628 - 09/06/14 04:24 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: bennevis]
slipperykeys Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Not sure that was Bach, I always believed it was Mozart who wrote, "too many notes".

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=too+many+notes

Here is one of the examples.....
EMPEROR: Well, Herr Mozart! A good effort. Decidedly that. An excellent effort! You've shown us something quite new today.

[Mozart bows frantically: he is over-excited.]

MOZART: It is new, it is, isn't it, Sire?

EMPEROR: Yes, indeed.

MOZART: So then you like it? You really like it, Your Majesty?

EMPEROR: Of course I do. It's very good. Of course now and then - just now and then - it gets a touch elaborate.

MOZART: What do you mean, Sire?

EMPEROR: Well, I mean occasionally it seems to have, how shall one say? [he stops in difficulty; turning to Orsini-Rosenberg] How shall one say, Director?

ORSINI-ROSENBERG: Too many notes, Your Majesty?

EMPEROR: Exactly. Very well put. Too many notes.

MOZART: I don't understand. There are just as many notes, Majesty, as are required. Neither more nor less.

EMPEROR: My dear fellow, there are in fact only so many notes the ear can hear in the course of an evening. I think I'm right in saying that, aren't I, Court Composer?

SALIERI: Yes! yes! er, on the whole, yes, Majesty.

MOZART: But this is absurd!

EMPEROR: My dear, young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Cut a few and it will be perfect.

MOZART: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

EMPEROR: Well. There it is.

#2324669 - 09/06/14 08:17 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: slipperykeys]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: slipperykeys

Not sure that was Bach, I always believed it was Mozart who wrote, "too many notes".

You're not seriously quoting a movie as historical evidence, are you?

#2324681 - 09/06/14 08:54 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: Damon]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

The man... The music... The madness... The murder... The motion picture...
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2324705 - 09/06/14 11:03 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: Damon]
slipperykeys Offline

I was seriously quoting Google, how did you miss that?

#2324707 - 09/06/14 11:08 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes

The man... The music... The madness... The murder... The motion picture...

How can we ever doubt the veracity of Hollywood (or is it Prague, where Amadeus was filmed)? If it's in the movie, it happened. Let there be no doubt whatsoever.

If Joseph II didn't say that, why did Wolfie reduce the number of his notes in subsequent operas? Die Zauberflöte is almost bereft of them...... wink

If only Joseph I (or 0) had said the same to JSB, the latter wouldn't have had to use his cell phone to compose.

#2324735 - 09/06/14 12:16 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: slipperykeys]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

I was seriously quoting Google, how did you miss that?

I'm just quoting Piano World. How could you miss that?

#2324774 - 09/06/14 02:31 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: slipperykeys]
slipperykeys Offline

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=too+many+notes

Here is a different example.

I have chosen this one to assuage the less well intellectually capable that may visit this web-site, of which I have recently discovered there is at least one...

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/28/arts/music-too-many-notes-and-too-few-ears.html

Edited by slipperykeys (09/06/14 02:34 PM)

#2324780 - 09/06/14 03:06 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The chromatic harmonies in the passage would have been extremely novel in Bach's time, and thus it isn't just filler, like it seems to be today.

Polyphonist

#2324793 - 09/06/14 04:31 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: Polyphonist]
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, that passage somehow reminded me that good ol' JSB discovered minimalism long before Riley, Reich, Glass..... wink

#2324801 - 09/06/14 05:23 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: bennevis]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

How can we ever doubt the veracity of Hollywood

So Chopin and Liszt shook hands while playing alternate hands of a Chopin piece. Glad to know that's true.

#2324803 - 09/06/14 05:39 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: Damon]
5000 Post Club Member

So Chopin and Liszt shook hands while playing alternate hands of a Chopin piece. Glad to know that's true.

Of course.

They were such good buddies that Chopin wrote his Rondo in C for the two of them to play, he on his favorite Pleyel, Liszt on the Erard.

Until, of course, poor old Fryderyk coughed blood onto his keyboard (as A Song to Remember reminded us).........

#2324804 - 09/06/14 05:46 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: Polyphonist]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
The chromatic harmonies in the passage would have been extremely novel in Bach's time, and thus it isn't just filler, like it seems to be today.

If that chromaticism seemed novel in Bach's time, it was only because people had already forgotten the music of Lassus and Gesualdo, which could be very chromatic indeed. As has been said of Gesualdo's chromaticism, it was 400 years before anyone took chromatic writing any further.

#2324805 - 09/06/14 05:46 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: bennevis]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Of course.

They were such good buddies that Chopin wrote his Rondo in C for the two of them to play, he on his favorite Pleyel, Liszt on the Erard.

Until, of course, poor old Fryderyk coughed blood onto his keyboard (as A Song to Remember reminded us).........

#2324828 - 09/06/14 07:05 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: bennevis]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Yes, that passage somehow reminded me that good ol' JSB discovered minimalism long before Riley, Reich, Glass..... wink

Surprised no one has brought up this similar passage from the cadenza of the 5th Brandenburg:
[img:center]http://[/img]
Couple other observations:

The OP quotes the BWV 535, which (though an early work), is considered by scholars to be authentic. It is actually rather fun to play, if far less musically demanding than the later monumental F&F in G minor BWV 542.

The 'too many notes' issue with Mozart is of course a reference to Entführung, but ask any soprano who has sung the centerpiece aria 'Marten aller Arten', and they might agree that there are a lot of notes! (Years ago I was rehearsal pianist for a production of the opera.)

But no, not too many notes, just Mozart at his most virtuosic, exceeding anything he wrote for the piano. eek

#2324829 - 09/06/14 07:07 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: Damon]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

Damon, I don't think I could ever get through that film again. It was as putrid as 'Impromptu'. tiki

#2325005 - 09/07/14 11:07 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: bennevis]
slipperykeys Offline

NYT not good enough then?

When you are in a hole stop digging.

You are the one who wrongly attributed the remark to Bach when it was to Mozart.

The "Emperor" was only 9 when Bach died? LOL. (I suppose you doubt the veracity of historical fact.......)

Edited by slipperykeys (09/07/14 11:17 AM)

#2325010 - 09/07/14 11:25 AM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: slipperykeys]
5000 Post Club Member

When you are in a hole stop digging.

As you are the one who wrongly attributed the remark to Bach when it was to Mozart (For example, the Emprorer was only 9 when Bach died!) I would think ANY historical reference may help.....

In case you didn't realise (- your post shows you definitely didn't), my earlier statement was meant to be a joke (hence, the wink ) - OK, it was a poor attempt at British humour, but I'd have thought that you'd have understood, living not too far from me.

I assumed that my following post about Joseph I (or 0) made that clear, but obviously not.......... shocked

BTW, just to be clear, all my other posts in this thread are in the same jocular vein. Including the one about minimalism. So, please, JSB, wherever you are, don't take offence...... grin

#2325109 - 09/07/14 05:51 PM Re: Some days even J.S. Bach phoned it in [Re: RealPlayer]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Bach did it again in his organ-fugue in E-flat, BWV 532, also worthwhile in Busoni's pianoversion, this is perhaps the most silly fugue-subject of all times, but what he does with it, well, that's genius/God (as in SDG).

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
Today at 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
Today at 06:24 PM
The Steinway S in 1936
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:21 PM
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
Today at 05:43 PM
Vice grip needle nose threaded bolt dimensions
by Olek
Today at 05:10 PM
Who's Online
127 registered (accordeur, ajames, ando, alfredo capurso, 43 invisible), 1361 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157933 Topics
2319398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission