2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi! I'm a first year public school music teacher. At one of my two schools, our classroom instrument is a Yamaha P-200 "Electric Piano". Whenever I play, the notes continue to sustain like a pedal is being held down, but there is no pedal attached. I've tried to find some setting to correct this, but haven't had much luck. I'm a piano player that is fairly familiar with digitals, but they are mostly newer model Clavinova on other brand digital pianos (the other school has the Suzuki version of a Clavinova). I'm not sure of the age of this instrument, but it seems like it is probably from 90s (not sure). It seems pretty heavy duty to be a newer instrument.

This is the instrument that will accompany all of my concerts. Moving the other digital over for the concert is not an option and there is no money for anything new. Does anyone have an idea of how to correct the problem or is the instrument shot?

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Is there a pedal attached? If not, pick one up and attach it. It is possible it had a pedal and had it unplugged while it was still on and messed with the settings (I'm thinking similar to when sometimes you plug in a pedal and its default it to on when the pedal is not pressed and off for pressed). This may be a way to troubleshoot it a bit - plus, you want a pedal smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Several things could have happened:

My guess would be that someone was pressing the sustain pedal the last time it was played or unplugged. To correct the problem, I would try plugging in a pedal before turning it on next time, and then pressing the pedal after it's powered up. Just a guess.

On the other hand, someone could have assigned CC64 to the mod wheel or to the data entry sliders. Try moving each to see if affects the sustain.

Or they might have done either of the above for the default performance. Try changing performances to see if other performances have a pedal-up sound. If so, you can go back to the default performance and edit it so that pedal-up is the default setting. Or they might have assigned the Organ Combination with a strange envelope. See page 16 of the manual for Performance Parameters: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=hu&site=hu.yamaha.com&asset_id=7058

Or it could be booting up in Dual mode, with both a piano and, say, strings loaded, so that after a note is released, the longer decay of the strings is heard.

It's less likely, but possible, that someone could have used software and made pedal-down the default sound, or increased the release portion of the envelope.

N
N
Try a factory reset: Hold down the midi and edit buttons while the dp is off, and while holding them, turn on the power and release all.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for your suggestions. After finally finding the pedal, I plugged it in. It works, but the opposite way. When the pedal is not pressed it sustains and when its pressed, it dampens. Suggestions for how to fix this?

N
N
Do a factory reset. That really should be the first step in figuring things out. This will wipe out any odd user settings.

Last edited by NormB; 09/15/14 07:23 PM.
B
BaR Offline
B
try turning it off, then turning it back on with the pedal depressed.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
You could buy an M-Audio SP-2 pedal. It has a switch that changes it from "normally-open" to "normally-closed".

So it'll work on _any_ DP.

Note -- if, by chance, you're already using an M-Audio pedal, the switch is on the bottom (floor side).

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BaR

+1 that's what I would try first. Then if it works see of there's a polarity switch on the pedal.

M
M
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by BaR

+1 that's what I would try first. Then if it works see of there's a polarity switch on the pedal.
+1 Yup, I'm fairly confident this is the issue and this should solve it smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission