2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
K
K
Competition is always a good thing.. Now let us use this thread and stay on topic which is for creating new sounds on the V-piano smile

Originally Posted by pv88
Yes... a possible contender for the V-Piano, perhaps?

Here is one of their demos, as it is quite intriguing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBit3c9OTkE

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 05/13/12 06:34 PM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Extra note:

Almost forgot to add (to the other post above) that the Physis Piano will contain a new version of the Italian "Fatar" action. There are others here that do not like the Fatar actions, as I had previously owned a Kurzweil Mark Pro 3i that had a Fatar action and it was not a keeper.

The Kurzweil also had some other issues, and, that has already been documented in my other posts, however, the action appeared to be rather sluggish in regards to key repetitions. It felt quite odd in regards to the bottoming out, almost as if it had spring-like resistance. Not a very responsive action, especially when doing scale work.

Perhaps the Physis Piano (which is not a Kurzweil) will have a better and improved action?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
Aha, found this again! grin

(For TwoSnowflakes's benefit).

Just realized how much I've aged since this thread.....my AKG K271 MkII is now officially retired, and Grado SR325is has taken over the headphones hook.

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
It is to be noted that whether or not you are using closed headphones vs open headphones, a slight modification to the settings needs to take place. Bennevis uses the AKG K 271 MK II which are a closed design while I use the Sennheiser HD 598 open headphones.

I now am using the Sennheiser HD 518's which are a very good "open back" set and cost $130.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by bennevis

Sorry, I'm not following. What exactly have you found. I'm agog.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by toddy

No need to be (agog, I mean). I've found the needle in the haystack *.

(* = an ancient thread I started when I was still young and unsullied, i.e. this thread. From the haystack that's PW's labyrinth.
** For some odd reason, this reminds me of that amazing Guillermo del Toro movie Pan's Labyrinth www.panslabyrinth.co.uk : I recommend it highly, if you haven't seen it. grin).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ahh, Bennevis, thanks for bumping. I had fun tonight playing around with this.

I am not sure how to save these settings in a new preset, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

A real pleasure to play. I see the allure, though the true end result is that instead of converting me to a digital aficionado, it just makes me want to buy a better acoustic, haha.

After almost 12 hours playing with this thing, I really need to go to bed. It's 4am here!

K
K
Originally Posted by pv88
To: [Roland V-Piano customers/owners]

Everyone should know that I tried getting Roland (with contact through Roger Halvorson, Roland Corp.) to add the two primary presets from the Roland V-Piano "Grand" to my Roland V-Piano. The request was declined.

Roland is now saying that the two primary presets ... "V-Concert Grand" and "V-Concert Mellow" are not compatible with the V-Piano even though I know of someone in Canada that has already done this.

Roland doesn't want to give the customer the additional presets that would be a decent alternative to the artificial sounding "Vintage II" presets which sound nothing like a "Bosendorfer."*

*Scott Tibbs makes the "Bosendorfer" claim within the first 20 seconds of the video, below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ewq6NgYpxA

Roger Halvorson and Roland is discrediting potential sales for V-Pianos by selling them at too high a price and by not offering customers the options they want.

Roland is only concerned with making money off of their Roland V-Piano Grand and Roland V-Piano sales at ridiculous prices and don't care about customer requests.

Who in Canada got the V-Grand piano presets on the V-Piano and how? Was it a custom firmware?

K
K
Originally Posted by toddy

No need to be (agog, I mean). I've found the needle in the haystack *.

(* = an ancient thread I started when I was still young and unsullied, i.e. this thread. From the haystack that's PW's labyrinth.
** For some odd reason, this reminds me of that amazing Guillermo del Toro movie Pan's Labyrinth www.panslabyrinth.co.uk :I recommend it highly, if you haven't seen it. grin).

I appreciate this thread and all bennevis has done in regards to making the V-Piano a better instrument. Us V-Piano owners have to stick together.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
I appreciate this thread and all bennevis has done in regards to making the V-Piano a better instrument. Us V-Piano owners have to stick together.

I agree as the V-Piano has the best resonance and decay of any digital currently available with the largest number of changeable parameters to work with.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Ahh, Bennevis, thanks for bumping. I had fun tonight playing around with this.

I am not sure how to save these settings in a new preset, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

As it's now 10.15 am in sunny England (yes, the sun does come out occasionally here - especially when it's Wimbledon ladies finals grin), it must be 11.15 am where you are, and no doubt already practicing on the V.

To save your settings, just press the 'Write' button. Then you have to rename your new setting by pressing F2, after which you use the 'Value' dial to scroll through numbers, symbols and letters to get the character you want, and keep repeating for each character until you've got the complete new name. Then press the 'Value' dial, and finally, F4 to 'Execute'.

Your new setting will come after the last factory preset (which is no.28), when you scroll through. You can also customize the V to use your new setting as the default piano sound - i.e. the one that appears on the screen when you switch it on. I've customized mine to use "Bösendorfer' as my default sound.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Aha! Thanks. You were right, I was already practicing! Definitely enjoyable. I can say I like pretending I have a gigantic concert grand! The bass is so resonant and clear! I changed the keyboard weight to "very heavy" so I don't end up with too light of a touch, but my own grand, not being a Bosendorfer, has a certain amount of key friction that makes it harder to play extremely slowly/softly than the v-piano is set to do. At some of the key velocity I'm using, my piano would not sound at all, but here, as long as I bottom out the key at all, I get a sound. So I probably ought to figure out how to change that other than the "very heavy" setting, if it's possible, so I don't come home and find my pp dynamics are below the threshhold of my piano.

B
OP Offline
B
Try altering the 'Sound Lift' in the Tone Parameter section.

Decreasing it means you have to hit harder to get an increase in dynamic level, making you work harder, and making the keyboard feel heavier.

E
E
"As we know, the Roland V-Piano is the only DP that uses modelling technology which means that its sound is generated from scratch, not sampled from existing pianos."

In our studio we still use an old Roland V-Piano and it is working quite well for our needs!

S
S
Originally Posted by E. Christensen
"As we know, the Roland V-Piano is the only DP that uses modelling technology which means that its sound is generated from scratch, not sampled from existing pianos."

In our studio we still use an old Roland V-Piano and it is working quite well for our needs!

Mr. Christensen, would you still buy the V-Piano today compared to the VPC1 + Pianoteq or some other digital piano of your fancy?

E
E
Wow- I learned a lot reading through this, thank you all.

K
K
I'm bumping this very useful thread for all V-Piano owners so they may get out of it as much joy as I have utilizing bennevis's user made custom voices. A labor of love and one that takes a great ear, as well as a lot of patience.

A
A
Great. I'm glad this thread has the opportunity for more life (although, I have only just begun to read through it, and am currently focusing on the V-Piano manual). I will be moving to an apartment soon, and therefore have to leave my beloved Boston baby grand behind. In it's place, I've just acquired my first digital setup:

V-Piano & KS-V8 stand
Adam A7X speakers
Senn HD650 headphones
Pillow-Top adjustable bench
I also made an extra-wide music rack for it out of clear acrylic that holds the sheet music the same height and distance as those of my acoustic (see link below)

The last item I need is a nice cover. Any suggestions welcome.

I searched around for the best deal I could find, and ended up getting everything for 4,300 USD shipped. Maybe it wasn't the best deal ever known to mankind; but, I am satisfied, and can't wait to begin exploring with this equipment.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_kPQf0wr71a6W2NeukSCsjoI1ZIRURXv07CXtlTlVCM/edit?usp=sharing

AEM

Last edited by AEMontoya; 09/12/14 03:12 AM.
A
A
I'd love to hear from other V-Piano owners regarding recording. Specifically, I'd like to know how much of a difference there typically is between the sound that is heard by the player during playing (assuming high quality headphones/speakers) versus the sound that is later played back from a recording (using the same high quality headphones/speakers). I intend to record using Cubase and a Presonus Firebox interface. My fear, I guess, is that I will end up falling in love with a couple of presets/setups that sound great during actual playing only to find out that I cannot capture these same sounds faithfully during recording. By extension, I'm afraid that every preset I have would therefore need to be paired with a tweaked version of this preset that would be used solely while recording. As someone who is new to digital pianos, I'm really not sure what to expect.

Part of this concern comes from a few bits I have read in this thread, where one or two other V-Piano owners were not able to faithfully capture what they heard while playing. Another part comes from my experience recording on my acoustic piano. I find that, on the acoustic piano, I do in fact have to change my playing style (touch, pedaling, ...) a bit to produce recordings that come out the way I'd like, even when that same playing style does not always produce what I'd consider ideal sounds to my naked ear while performing. I was hoping that a digital piano might allow me to avoid this disparity a bit, since the signal chain would not involve microphones (of course, it does involve headphones/speakers, on the other hand).

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

AEM

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Someone mentioned earlier that the midrange, around middle C, was the most troublesome sound. This seems to be an area that many sample libraries and stage pianos also have trouble with. Any speculation on why the important area around middle C causes problems? (The Kawai keyboards, to my ear, fare a little better in the midrange, but I rarely get to hear them.)

Phasing because of mic placement? The missing sense of being close to the piano? I understand these, but don't understand why libraries and other emulations still have problems.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission