2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kromen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello,

A few months ago I reported a strange issue with my Kawai ES7 HERE which caused some keys to be played at full sound, unfortunately today after upgrading to the lastest firmware v1.15, the issue is back.

After some test I decided to go back to the v1.13 and the issue is gone, worth say this issue is present in the v1.14 firmware too.

So I dont know if my unit is broken, or there is some troubles with firmware maybe just for some piano models, because as I said, if I use the v1.13 my DP works flawless.

I appreciate any help regarding this issue,
Regards

Kawai ES7
Casio PX-350
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
An upgrade should resolve issues, not create them. I don`t think my piano does upgrades. Rather glad about that. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Kromen, can you say categorically that the issue is caused by the software update?

A number of other ES7 owners on this forum applied the update successfully, and have yet to report a problem.

I wonder if the issue is hardware related (the sensors of certain keys are not registering the correct value), and that the recent software update is just a coincidence.

Either way, this is best handled by your Kawai dealer.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I might go a step further and report this to the Kawai corporation. Things like this can be very useful to them. They will be able to pinpoint the differences between the various upgrades and it might give them some valuable insight into an ongoing issue.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
S
Originally Posted by Kromen
A few months ago I reported a strange issue with my Kawai ES7 HERE which caused some keys to be played at full sound, unfortunately today after upgrading to the lastest firmware v1.15, the issue is back.

Your description of the problem in the original thread strongly suggests that its original cause is some sort of intermittent hardware fault, especially this comment: "I tested it with same results, transposing the keyboard and with outside sounds using and iPad with iGrand, same loudness / muted key behavior."

It *might* be the case that some ES7 firmware versions handle unexpected sensor data more gracefully than others, but I believe you'll end up needing a technician to examine the piano if you want to find the root cause of the problem.

If downgrading back to v1.13 really and truly solves the problem, that's a decent workaround, provided you can live without the fairly modest fixes in the subsequent firmware versions.

K
Kromen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello,

Thank you all for your answers.

Now regarding this issue, It started to show when I upgraded to 1.14 which I bypass downgrading to v1.13, but after I upgrade my unit to lastest firmware (1.15) the issue comeback. The only solution to it was use the firmware v1.13 which complete fix it.

Now as slowtraveler suggest it might be some sensor thing in my unit because both updates modify keys balance, or could be a firmware issue (who knows : /)

The simpler way to reproduce this issue (at least in my unit) using the firmware v1.15 is:

Press and hold the G4 and C5, now while holding both keys press the B4, this key should play at full sound.

This can also be produced using B4 and E5, and while pressing this keys play the flat E5 (again mid tone below) and this should be played at full sound with no sensitivity.

* Worth say it shows on any octave

Regards,
Kromen

Kawai ES7
Casio PX-350
Press and hold the G4 and C5, now while holding both keys press the B4, this key should play at full sound.

To clarify, you're saying that if ES7 users select the 'Concert Grand' (or other sounds?), press and hold G4 and C5 (at any volume?), then play B5 with pianissimo, the B5 will atually be heard at full volume?

I will check this for myself on Tuesday, but in the meantime, perhaps other ES7 owners can try the same combination.

Kromen, it would be useful if you could post an audio recording of what you're experiencing for reference, and to ensure that we're playing the same G4/C5/B5 notes,

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James

To clarify, you're saying that if ES7 users select the 'Concert Grand' (or other sounds?), press and hold G4 and C5 (at any volume?), then play B5 with pianissimo, the B5 will atually be heard at full volume?

I will check this for myself on Tuesday, but in the meantime, perhaps other ES7 owners can try the same combination.

I just tried this, using a fresh install of v1.15, factory default settings, and the Concert Grand voice. My ES7 definitely does *not* do what Kromen is describing. Both B4 and B5 (or, in his other example, the sharp D5) respond to input velocity in a completely normal manner when the other keys are depressed. The only unusual thing I noticed is that the string resonance function causes C5 to sound at a low volume when B4 is struck, but I assume this is an expected behavior.

For the record, the symptoms that Kromen is describing in this thread are not exactly the same as he described in the original thread on this subject. Regardless, this is clearly a hardware problem, guys.

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for checking Ben.

Yes, I agree it's most likely a hardware-related problem, and should therefore be taken-up with the dealer.

Cheers,
James
x

K
Kromen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you guys for your time to try it.

Originally Posted by Kawai James

Yes, Just a fix, it should be B4 (C5 flat) played with pianissimo while still holding G4 and C5. Also as I commented (in my unit) it happen on every octave and with any sound no just Concert Grand Piano.

It also happen using the same procedure but with B4 and E5, then play E5 flat.

UPDATE: I been re-flashing my unit with latest firmware v1.15 and after some tests my unit its working flawless WITH v1.15 so as you guys suggests it must be some hardware issue in my unit :(, the strange thing is that v1.13 no matter how many times I flash it, it just no present the issue in my unit.

Best Regards,
Kromen

Last edited by Kromen; 09/13/14 09:23 PM.

Kawai ES7
Casio PX-350
S
S
These sorts of intermittent problems are so frustrating. It might end being something as simple as a loose connector on a board somewhere, but it's very tough to pin down.

Best of luck resolving this!

K
Kromen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Indeed Ben. I will keep an eye on my unit the following days, hopefully the issue wont show again, in the meanwhile I will contact my dealer and try to set a revision.

Once again, thank you all for your help and best wishes wink

Regards,
Kromen

Kawai ES7
Casio PX-350

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission