2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Sorry I don't know how to phrase my question in a better way. I was watching someone using Sonar and he took a piece of music he had downloaded and he did something with it and it analyzed the music and created a music score of the different instruments. Did I see correctly and if so how did he do it and will my earlier version of Cakewalk 9 be able to do the same.I have a Casio CDP 220 R hooked up to my desktop using Windows XP

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Jack Gately
Sorry I don't know how to phrase my question in a better way. I was watching someone using Sonar and he took a piece of music he had downloaded and he did something with it and it analyzed the music and created a music score of the different instruments. Did I see correctly and if so how did he do it and will my earlier version of Cakewalk 9 be able to do the same.I have a Casio CDP 220 R hooked up to my desktop using Windows XP

Cakewalk should be capable of doing this, yes, if by "creating a musical score" you simply mean an arrangement with different instrumentation? If you mean then print it out as sheet music, Cakewalk is limited in scoring capabilities. But for arranging, yes.

You say you have hooked up your Casio to your PC, so I assume you got MIDI USB working correctly. What exactly did you need to know?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jack Gately

He most likely downloaded a midi file of a multi instrument arrangement as opposed to an audio recording.

It takes a sophisticated scoring program that can do that and do it well. Sonar is a current program that is very advanced in it's capabilities, cakewalk 9 is not.

E
E
You can convert Audio to Midi in Sonar X3 Studio and Producer as well by the ARA integration, then just open the generated Midi file in the Score Editor (which is a pain to use IMO). Take a look here : http://blog.cakewalk.com/easy-audio-to-midi/
I have Sonar X3 Studio which comes with Essential Melodyne but I have never used it really. I tried the Score editor and I really couldn't stand the interface of it.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks guys.Yes I am using a USB cable to connect to my PC. I down load a lot of piano stuff from Youtube and try to play some of the arrangements, but this is difficult if you cant see what they were playing so I was hoping that somehow cakewalk could analyse the notes and produce a score so that I could see what notes were being played what key etc. I recently downloaded a 30 day trial version of Sonar X 3 with a view to buying but compared to pro audio 9 it seem very complicated so I let it expire. It is also a bit over my budget. What is Sonar Studio and would that do what I am trying to do?

E
E
The Sonar Studio version is cheaper than the Producer version. It comes with less tools and instruments than in the Producer.
Take a look in the comparison:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions

The studio can make what you want but it doesn't come with TruePiano or the other instruments/effects that come with the Producer. Melodyne Essential is in both versions which you can use to convert one line melody (if not mistaken) from Audio to Midi including a singer's voice (this was the original purpose actually, like tunes adjustment). You can be sure of the details from the manual or Cakewalk forums.

Learning a new DAW is to commit a lot of time and effort to it. I don't know if Sonar is the best option for this task because I have never used Melodyne Essential (I don't have a need for it really). You might need to demo other DAWs which can convert audio to midi and then decide which one suits you more. There are like Ableton Live (no score editor), Cubase (only the top version has a full score editing), Studio One (no score editor) and maybe others that I forget now. I didn't mention Logic because I think you are with a Windows machine.

Personally, I don't use Sonar a lot but mostly Ableton Live Standard and Cubase Elements 7. Ableton Live doesn't have score editor, so I use Notion 4 ReWired with it. Notion 4 is a score editor which also can be used Rewired with Sonar and Cubase. Anyway, if you decide on Sonar X3 Studio, then you can get it with a big discount now in JRR Shop (which I bought mine from there also, a downloaded license) for $119 but you can get I think additional 14% discount in the final cart if you write 'group' (without quotes). Oh, and the upgrade price from Studio to Producer is $149 which is cheaper than buying the discounted direct price for the Producer version ($329) crazy

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission