Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2327712 - 09/15/14 01:23 PM easy to move keyboard
analarana Online   content

Hi,

Iím going to buy a keyboard soon. Iím planning to move it quite a bit (to rehearse and play gigs). Iím moving to London, and though the city has good public transport, I will have to use the underground, walk a lotÖ (I donít have a car).
Could you give some advice so that moving around with the keyboard isnít too tiring? Do you know what people usually do in this situation (if they buy keyboards that arenít heavy even if the keyboards arenít that good, or what do they do)?

Cheers!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2327730 - 09/15/14 02:25 PM Re: easy to move keyboard [Re: analarana]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
There's a lot of factors. Budget? Your overall strength and agility? What kind of weight are comfortable lifting? Will there be speakers at the venues? Are you going to be busking? Do you need 88 keys or is 61 keys enough?

The lighter units with 88 weighted keys include the Casio PX5S stage piano and Casio PX150 family. There are about 25 pounds in weight (12 kg). Some might use a rolling case, but that adds to the weight when it does have to be lifted.

A separate question is if you have to bring speakers or will they be provided? Speakers loud enough for a noisy venue such as a pub, will add considerably to your load. Do you need to bring a keyboard stand, and a chair? Or will they be provided? Again, more weight, more bulk if you need to carry them.

Are you concerned about security at the venues (especially busking) and to and from the venues? A person with an expensive keyboard traveling alone is a relatively easy and high value target for three thieves working as a team.

If security is an issue, you might want something much cheaper and lighter such as a Yamaha NP11. It only has 61-keys. If there is a chance that you will get mugged, it doesn't cost much, and won't paint a target on your back during your travels.

If the budget is near unlimited, and security not an issue, Nords are popular for gigging, and come in various sizes, but will cost you.

Edited by Sand Tiger (09/15/14 02:26 PM)

#2327740 - 09/15/14 02:57 PM Re: easy to move keyboard [Re: analarana]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

If budget is less of a constraint, you might have a look at the Nord Electros or the Nord Piano 2 HP. Very portable, but not exactly cheap. You can get a very convenient and practical soft bag from Clavia for carrying them.

#2327834 - 09/15/14 08:35 PM Re: easy to move keyboard [Re: analarana]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
If portability is your main concern, you have several options available to you. You just need to decide on the price/features. Sand tiger has already made some excellent suggestions about the things you should consider.

At the high end of the spectrum would be the 73 (semi-weighted) key Nord Stage 2. It weighs 21 lbs. It's about as fully featured a keyboard as you can get. It also costs about $3600 USD.

The Nord Electro is significantly cheaper, but still very expensive. It gives you access to the sounds of the Nord Piano Library, and Nord Sample library, and nord's best in class organ emulations. It lacks the nord stage's synth engine, and lacks that ability to do splits and layers (for many that would be a deal breaker). (The nord stage has a very robust system for setting up splits and layers, you can have up to 6 sounds going at once and split across various zones.)

If you just want something portable but are looking for something much more reasonably priced, the aforementioned casio's would be a great option.

At 27 lbs the korg kross 88 might be a contender if you need the full 88 keys. And at less than 10 lbs, the Semi weighted 61 key korg kross is probably the most portable fully featured keyboard you'll find.

The Numa stage might also be a contender for an 88 key keyboard. It's not as feature rich as some of the other choices, but it's under 30 lbs, and if you just need a good piano sound you might like it.

You'll probably get some other suggestions, as I said there are lots of options.

Bottom line: If money were no object, I'd get the nord stage. If money were a concern, I'd look at the casio px5s and the korg kross) If you're o.k. with the electro's limitations, it might be a good choice too.

#2327836 - 09/15/14 08:37 PM Re: easy to move keyboard [Re: analarana]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I, too, would be concerned with getting mugged with something like that. Especially with a Nord - that would really suck to lose one of those! Might be better if you have a regular gig to see if you can just leave it there (in a locked closet) along with your stand and/or speakers.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2328491 - Today at 06:40 PM Re: easy to move keyboard [Re: analarana]
analarana Online   content

Thank you so much! I've never played a gig, so I'm lost here. That was really informative and helpful.

I hadn't thought about a lot of those factors. Do you really have to take your own stand and speakers? That's crazy, isn't it?

I'm basicaly short and weak. I'll be living in one of the most dangerous neighborhood in London (so might get mugged) and I don't have much money (when I put it like that it sounds pretty sad...). I won't be busking, but playing in pubs, etc.
The Yamaha np11 and the Korg kross sound like very good options (specially if I could use the np11 as master keyboard).

Can I ask what you guys usually do to move your keyboard, if that's no too personal?

#2328506 - 36 minutes 11 seconds ago Re: easy to move keyboard [Re: analarana]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: analarana
I hadn't thought about a lot of those factors. Do you really have to take your own stand and speakers? That's crazy, isn't it?

It will depend on the venue. You'll probably need a stand at least.

Are you going to be playing solo or as part of a band?

The Yamaha np11 and the Korg kross sound like very good options

Very different boards. Assuming you're looking at the 61-key version of the Kross, I would say that the Yamaha will sound better for piano, and also the action is better for piano (not good mind you, but better than Kross) -- but the Yamaha really doesn't do anything except piano. The Kross is a worse piano, but it has a lot of other capabilities. If you like the Yamaha but wish it had more sounds and features, you could look at the MX61. Another light, well-priced, versatile board would be the Roland VR-09.

(and if you were considering the 88 key version of the Kross, the Casio PX5S is smaller and lighter.)

if I could use the np11 as master keyboard).

For what purpose? Are you looking to drive sounds that might be in a laptop or iPad or iPhone? Would you be doing this at the gigs, or only at home (relying only on internal sounds for gigs)?

At any rate, the Kross has more MIDI controller functionality than the NP11, which basically has none beyond the fact that it has keys.

Another board that might interest you is the Numa Compact. It's probably the lightest board with 88 keys, and while it's not a weighted action, and certainly not as good for playing piano as the PX-5S, I find it among the most playable of the non/semi-weighted actions for piano. It has decent MIDI controller functionality, too.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anton Kuerti and Cyprian Katsaris
by pianoloverus
09/17/14 07:09 PM
Pianists' tessitura
by Riddler
09/17/14 06:54 PM
Fingering for "Wind (Naruto)" excerpt
by longyodel127
09/17/14 05:28 PM
A tune I wrote last night
by Arizona Sage
09/17/14 05:20 PM
Refusing "Every Other" week lesson
by ezpiano.org
09/17/14 05:09 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (255, accordeur, AEMontoya, A Guy, analarana, 36 invisible), 1297 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76233 Members
42 Forums
157590 Topics
2314758 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission